daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 31st, 2011, 09:22 PM   #1181
makaveli6
(:

Likes (Received): 1319

Here is the video! When filming i dod some experimenting, zooming in on the road a bit more than usual, unfotunetly it didn't turn out so good, the video is even shakier than normal.
I tried to do some editing, but not much i could do. Watch in HD.
makaveli6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 31st, 2011, 09:42 PM   #1182
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2301

Thank you very much for the update! A5 looks sweet.
I hope they won't forget to repave that 1 km stretch on the left side of A8 (4:42-5:05), and 9:50-10:08 I wasn't expecting.
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 10:10 PM   #1183
makaveli6
(:

Don't worry, that part of A8 will be reconstructed next year, even tough it was planned to reconstruct it this year, the same goes for the section betwen Jaunolaine to Olaine.
And i think also the same goes for A5, tā virskartā kas tur šobrīd bija neizskatijās pēc gala kārtas un patiesībā brauciens pa to asfaltu bija diezgan drebuļains, tapēc domāju ka tur vel nākamgad klās pašu virskārtu un pie reizes rekonstruēs to atlikušo.
Old November 1st, 2011, 10:13 PM   #1184
makaveli6
(:

Updated construction map,
[IMG]http://i42.************/2mo2kqh.jpg[/IMG]
Added: A5 (22 - 35.5km)
Removed: A9 (10 - 23km)

-----

Daugavpils transporta mezgls.

Last edited by makaveli6; November 1st, 2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old November 5th, 2011, 10:19 PM   #1185
makaveli6
(:

Filmed in summer. Watch in HD
Old November 6th, 2011, 10:43 AM   #1186
RipleyLV

Mmm, yeah. Hope the whole A10 shown in the video will be reconstructed next year as planned. Btw, is the 100 km/h limit on A10 only from Priedaine to junction with A5? After you turned I couldn't capture the speed limit sign beacuse the windshield wiper appeared on the screen at that moment.
Old November 6th, 2011, 11:38 AM   #1187
makaveli6
(:

100kmh limit is from Priedaine to Rīga border, but it has been removed as of 1st october or november.
Old November 6th, 2011, 02:15 PM   #1188
RipleyLV

Unexpected news!

In the end of November there will start public consultations about building a second carriageway on A9 (Riga-Liepāja) highway from A5 to crossing with P98 in total 38,2 km lenght.
Map:

Construction is planned to start after 2018. You can get familiar with the plans here: http://www.eiroprojekts.lv/A9/
Old November 6th, 2011, 08:20 PM   #1189
makaveli6
(:

Wow, almost like a dream!
Hope everything goes smooth. Are they going to build it for 90kmh or 130?
Old November 7th, 2011, 08:59 AM   #1190
Jevpls

Likes (Received): 6

Slow down a bit. Do you really think it will be built next year or after some years? Look at the AADT - something about ~5000... There is no need for another 2 lanes and probably there won't be in the next 20 or 30 years.
Jevpls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 10:54 AM   #1191
RipleyLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli6 View Post
Are they going to build it for 90kmh or 130?
It will be built on the current A9 alignment, which is a straight road with no sharp turns on a flat terrain. In the given scheme above, it clearly shows that all ground level crossings will be removed, and 2-level junctions will be built with major roads connecting, plus the local traffic - regional buses, tractors, bikes will be divided from the highway to a road which will go parallel it, the same way as A8 is planned. I assume that this highway may have a motorway status with a max 130 km/h speed limit, the min would be 110 km/h on such road during summer time, in winter of course it will be lowered down. These are just my thoughts, so we'll have to wait for more info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevpls View Post
Slow down a bit. Do you really think it will be built next year or after some years? Look at the AADT - something about ~5000... There is no need for another 2 lanes and probably there won't be in the next 20 or 30 years.
In the document posted above it was mentioned that construction is planned to start after 2018, many things will change untill that time. Low AADT is not an excuse to not build a 4-laned highway, it will increase the attractiveness of the surrounding area which later will bring new economic possibilities, jobs, benefits and improve traffic safety in general. There is more and more cargo coming from Russia to Liepāja port, AADT in 2007-2009 period was 5949 of which 1027 (17%) were trucks, in 2010 that number was 1060 and it keeps rising.
Old November 7th, 2011, 11:34 AM   #1192
RipleyLV

Regional road P32 Skrīveri-Līgatne after reconstruction on 5th of October. One of few major connecting roads with new E22 highway.
Old November 7th, 2011, 12:18 PM   #1193
Jevpls

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipleyLV View Post
In the document posted above it was mentioned that construction is planned to start after 2018, many things will change untill that time.
I hardly see so bright future. Another 10 millions LVL have been cut from road budget...

Quote:
Low AADT is not an excuse to not build a 4-laned highway, it will increase the attractiveness of the surrounding area which later will bring new economic possibilities, jobs, benefits and improve traffic safety in general.
Actually it is. Look at A6 stretch near Daugavpils. Is it necessary? It's AADT is about 3000 vehicles per day and it looks almost empty. Ok, A9 has 5000 vehicles per day but it's not much more - basically the same situation.
And I'm sure that economical analysis won't show good results for the next 20-30 years.

Quote:
There is more and more cargo coming from Russia to Liepāja port, AADT in 2007-2009 period was 5949 of which 1027 (17%) were trucks, in 2010 that number was 1060 and it keeps rising.
At first, you shouldn't mention year 2007. Probably it won't come again and we should count on todays AADT.
The average truck % is not much different from other main roads - a bit more than 20%.
Now lets talk about cargo trucks from Russia. In year 2008 there were only ~30 trucks daily from Russia! It's not much. Road A13 had 300-400 trucks from using direction Lithuania-Russia. Why not to add another 2 lanes here? As you said - Low AADT is not an excuse to not build a 4-laned highway
Old November 7th, 2011, 02:36 PM   #1194
makaveli6
(:

Why argue about the need of 2x2? Im pretty damn sure that it everyone would enjoy driving on it.
Old November 7th, 2011, 02:56 PM   #1195
RipleyLV

Quote:
I hardly see so bright future. Another 10 millions LVL have been cut from road budget...
Well that wasn't meant only as a positive note, who knows what might happen then, the current situation shows nothing promising I agree, but EU is giving us money to improve the situation on our roads, next year will bring the same amount of fruits as it was in this year. Those projects that were failed in 2011 because of tender problems will start next year. In 2013 we'll recieve a minimal anmount of money from EU and there will be hardly any of the new projects ongoing, probably those that were started in 2012 will end then. But if all goes smooth as makaveli6 said and we'll recieve the next stage of funds for 2014-2020 (despite that EU is at braking point), A10 Priedaine-Sloka, A4 and Ķekavas bypass will get built and very possible construction might even start on A9.

Quote:
Actually it is. Look at A6 stretch near Daugavpils. Is it necessary? It's AADT is about 3000 vehicles per day and it looks almost empty. Ok, A9 has 5000 vehicles per day but it's not much more - basically the same situation.
And I'm sure that economical analysis won't show good results for the next 20-30 years.
First, as I've heard not only in this thread, the purpose of that 2x2 stretch was to use it as a landing strip for planes, incase the war starts all over again. Second, the quality of A6 near D-pils is rather bad, and there are barely any commuters from Central Latvia to Daugavpils because of no economic activities and no business between two regions. Most people are taking the train anyway, less expenses to travel.

Quote:
At first, you shouldn't mention year 2007. Probably it won't come again and we should count on todays AADT.
The average truck % is not much different from other main roads - a bit more than 20%.
That was an average statistic measured and taken from numbers in 2007-2009 time period, in 2007 number of trucks was ~1200, 2008-1080, 2009-897. In 2010 it grew again to 1000.

Quote:
Now lets talk about cargo trucks from Russia. In year 2008 there were only ~30 trucks daily from Russia! It's not much. Road A13 had 300-400 trucks from using direction Lithuania-Russia. Why not to add another 2 lanes here? As you said - Low AADT is not an excuse to not build a 4-laned highway
Actually, I think A13 should be one of priorities where to build a second carriageway. Few years ago I've heard that development on this project was started, but now there's a complete silence, Latvia is focued on Riga-Terehova connection.
Old November 7th, 2011, 09:45 PM   #1196
Jevpls

Quote:
Why argue about the need of 2x2? Im pretty damn sure that it everyone would enjoy driving on it.
If we had plenty of money then why not? I'd prefer even 6 lane roads. But now many roads are collapsing and there are no funds for them - should we ignore them and do such unnecessary reconstruction? For example, I can understand possible widening of A7 road - great AADT value. In this case (A9) it is not necessary but can be done simply to improve the driving quality. Then I have a question - why this one? There are other main roads that deserve some improvement too.

Quote:
Actually, I think A13 should be one of priorities where to build a second carriageway. Few years ago I've heard that development on this project was started, but now there's a complete silence, Latvia is focued on Riga-Terehova connection.
Seems like we are thinking in different way. I don't see any need to build another 2 lanes for this road either. The only weak point of this road is poor quality of pavement (not everywhere but in many stretches).
Old November 7th, 2011, 10:41 PM   #1197
makaveli6
(:

Quote:
If we had plenty of money then why not? I'd prefer even 6 lane roads. But now many roads are collapsing and there are no funds for them - should we ignore them and do such unnecessary reconstruction? For example, I can understand possible widening of A7 road - great AADT value. In this case (A9) it is not necessary but can be done simply to improve the driving quality. Then I have a question - why this one? There are other main roads that deserve some improvement too.
True, and i agree, there are roads like A1 that need widening or A8 that need to be upgraded to atleast expressway standart. But another point is that by 2018 most of our 1x1 roads will probably be in alot better condition than now, and by then we could have the financing to build 2x2 roads.
Old November 8th, 2011, 08:53 AM   #1198
Jevpls

Quote:
But another point is that by 2018 most of our 1x1 roads will probably be in alot better condition than now, and by then we could have the financing to build 2x2 roads.
Really? Who's gonna pay for it? Road budget is sufficient only for maintenance works. EU is financing some large projects (in future probably A4 and A7), few smaller ones (this and next year pavement imrovements on main roads) and some P roads (ERAF). And that's all. Nothing is given to V roads. But people keep driving and all other roads keep getting worse...

I wish I weren't so pessimistic about all this but I can't.
Old November 8th, 2011, 10:18 AM   #1199
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

In my opinion, the A1, A7, and A8 are most in need of upgrading to 2x2.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2011, 02:06 PM   #1200
Jevpls

A8? Long section of it is 2+2.

Tags
highways, motorways