daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 8th, 2011, 03:31 PM   #1201
makaveli6
(:

Likes (Received): 1319

I think he means upgrading it to motorway status.
makaveli6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 8th, 2011, 03:41 PM   #1202
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli6 View Post
I think he means upgrading it to motorway status.
Yes, I did mean that and I apologize for my lack of clarity. I also meant going 2x2 all the way to the LT border.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2011, 03:55 PM   #1203
makaveli6
(:

As for A7 i think it dosent need 2x2 all the way to Lithuania, atleast now. Maybe till Bauska or Iecava. After Bauska it's it is perfectly good with 1.5 lanes in each direction.
-----
New construction map:
[IMG]http://i40.************/122dogj.jpg[/IMG]
Finished:
A4 viaduct over railway.
A5 22-35.50 km.
A5 interchange with A9
A7 43-45km
P62 bridge over Aiviekste.
Old November 8th, 2011, 04:59 PM   #1204
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2301

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevpls View Post
Really? Who's gonna pay for it? Road budget is sufficient only for maintenance works. EU is financing some large projects (in future probably A4 and A7), few smaller ones (this and next year pavement imrovements on main roads) and some P roads (ERAF). And that's all.
I don't see any logic in this post, you asked a question and answered it yourself.
- - -
If we take our current motorway network development scheme for the upcoming years, then you'll see that all A-roads in the radius of 40 km from Riga will be widened to 2x2, those which already have 4 lanes will be upgraded to motorway standarts (except A6), these roads are:
- A8 Riga-Jelgava
- A4 Baltezers-Saulkalne
- A10 Priedaine-Sloka
- A9 Riga-Apšupe
- A2 Riga-Sigulda
- A5 Riga bypass
- A7 Riga-Ķekava

Two motorways are planned to cover a larger distance:
- A7 Ķekava-Bauska
- E22 Riga-Terehova (RUS)

In the future:
- A9 and A10 will be extended further to Liepāja and Ventspils.
- Mentioned A1 also will be widened to 2x2, but only from Baltezers to start of Saulkrasti bypass.
- A13 might aswell bring more interest to atract investments, before UEFA world cup in Russia.

There is no need to whine about, why do we need 2x2 section there? Where will we get money for that? What economic benefits are you talking about? Bla, bla, bla and so on. The mentioned roads above are already under development and on some section construction would start today, if there were more funds from EU now. There are significantly more pluses and benefits from these highways and I'm sure you know that.
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2011, 06:48 PM   #1205
Jevpls

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipleyLV View Post
The mentioned roads above are already under development and on some section construction would start today, if there were more funds from EU now.
I'm not going to live forever and so I have to think in a different way. EU gave money for 2 E22 projects (Tīnūži - Koknese and Ludza - Terehova). After some years after that (2013) EU probably will give money for A4 and A7. Then wait for another years to (maybe) get money for next project. It might take a long time to build all of them.
Do you really think that EU gives money in such way - I got a project, be so kind and pay for it? If you think that I'm too pessimistic then you may try to make a schedule for all of mentioned projects - we can discuss it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
Yes, I did mean that and I apologize for my lack of clarity. I also meant going 2x2 all the way to the LT border.
I have never heard about such plans. And building 2+2 for less than 2000 vehicles per day isn't smart (whatever other people here say ). Pavement of this section should be repaired though.
Jevpls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2011, 08:17 PM   #1206
RipleyLV

Quote:
I'm not going to live forever and so I have to think in a different way. EU gave money for 2 E22 projects (Tīnūži - Koknese and Ludza - Terehova). After some years after that (2013) EU probably will give money for A4 and A7. Then wait for another years to (maybe) get money for next project. It might take a long time to build all of them.
E22 projects are not the only one. Everything done since 2004 to improve the situation on our roads was thanks to EU.

Quote:
Do you really think that EU gives money in such way - I got a project, be so kind and pay for it? If you think that I'm too pessimistic then you may try to make a schedule for all of mentioned projects - we can discuss it...
EU distributes it's funds to each specific field for a determine time period, let it be - education, industry, social affairs, infrastructure, it's all up to us on where we should invest this money.

Quote:
I have never heard about such plans. And building 2+2 for less than 2000 vehicles per day isn't smart (whatever other people here say ). Pavement of this section should be repaired though.
I confirm that this part of A8 will not be widened to 2x2, even in the far, far future. But 11 km starting from Jelgava in direction to LT will be repaired next year.
Old November 8th, 2011, 08:37 PM   #1207
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
As for A7 i think it dosent need 2x2 all the way to Lithuania, atleast now. Maybe till Bauska or Iecava. After Bauska it's it is perfectly good with 1.5 lanes in each direction.
My opinion is that the A7 should be a 2x2 motorway from Riga to Bauska as soon as funding from the EU is available. I think planning for the section from Bauska to the LT border should wait until LT build a 2x2 road (hopefully motorway) between Panevezys and Pasvalys. Then, ideally, LV and LT could agree on a new, more direct route bypassing both Bauska and Pasvalys to the west and crossing the border on the west side of Uzvara. I would not spend money upgrading the current long circuitous route between Bauska and Pasvalys to 2+1.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2011, 08:47 PM   #1208
RipleyLV

If the second carriageway will be built from Ķekava to Bauska, then instantly works could start on Bauskas bypass, more info here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=277

The bypass will join A7 after the town and further route to LT will remain the same as it is now in 11,5 m width.
Old November 8th, 2011, 08:55 PM   #1209
Jevpls

OK, lets end this pointless discussion about EU money and possible projects. You see better future, me not. I hope to return here after ~10 years to see what has happened. I hope that you're right

Quote:
But 11 km starting from Jelgava in direction to LT will be repaired next year.
I heard rumours that this and A13 stretch could be cancelled because the total costs are higher than expected. But lets hope it won't be so.
Old November 8th, 2011, 09:14 PM   #1210
makaveli6
(:

Quote:
I heard rumours that this and A13 stretch could be cancelled because the total costs are higher than expected. But lets hope it won't be so.
Where did you hear that?
Old November 8th, 2011, 09:19 PM   #1211
RipleyLV

Quote:
OK, lets end this pointless discussion about EU money and possible projects. You see better future, me not. I hope to return here after ~10 years to see what has happened. I hope that you're right

Quote:
About A8, initially the plan was to repair it all the way from Jelgava to border with Lithuania, but as you pointed out, the costs were higher than expected, so LVC decided to repair the worst segment from Jelgava to Lielvircava turn this year, but because of tender problems, works were transfered to 2012.
Old November 9th, 2011, 09:58 AM   #1212
Jevpls

Quote:
Where did you hear that?
Oh, my bad. Nothing is wrong with A8. It is waiting till the beginning of the next year. 2 projects are out though - A13 stretch (near Rēzekne) and A10 stretch (near Talsi). If costs lower, we may be able to hear good news about them again
Old November 9th, 2011, 03:53 PM   #1213
RipleyLV

A9 near Brocēni also is out, maybe transfrerd to next year aswell.
Old November 9th, 2011, 06:45 PM   #1214
Jevpls

Quote:
A9 near Brocēni also is out, maybe transfrerd to next year aswell.
It doesn't mean that it's out. It's delayed. But these two are really out - if costs do not lower or if no additional money is given, they might be never done.
As far as I know, A13 had a chance but the tender price was much higher than expected... sad.
Old November 11th, 2011, 11:07 AM   #1215
Agnette

Likes (Received): 29

From Imanta (Riga) to Banga (Saulkrasti) per 10 min:

Map: http://g.co/maps/acqea
Agnette no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2011, 04:11 PM   #1216
RipleyLV

6:12-6:15

Wonderful video as always! And nice to see 100 km/h limit on A1 aswell!
Old November 12th, 2011, 09:57 PM   #1217
makaveli6
(:

Riga - Trenči (A5 & A9)
Old November 12th, 2011, 11:16 PM   #1218
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

DEL

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!

Last edited by GROBIN; November 13th, 2011 at 06:51 PM.
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2011, 03:14 PM   #1219
Agnette

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
6:12-6:15
I don't understand about driving on shoulders in A1, is it allowed to drive, according latvian driving rules, or not?
Quote:
Wonderful video as always! And nice to see 100 km/h limit on A1 aswell!
Paldies, what is the place you've seen 100?
Agnette no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2011, 06:36 PM   #1220
RipleyLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnette View Post
I don't understand about driving on shoulders in A1, is it allowed to drive, according latvian driving rules, or not?
You have the rights (but it's not obligate), without disturbing other drivers, change and temporarily use the wide paved shoulder of the road. Giving way to ambulances, police, fire, etc., or other faster driving vehicles. Basically these are the same rules as on Lithuanian and Polish 11m wide roads. But you can't overtake slower moving vehicles on the right side like those two morons did in your video. Here is a booklet with info and images only in Latvian though: http://www.lvceli.lv/LV/PC/PageImages/Original/1205.jpg & http://www.lvceli.lv/LV/PC/PageImages/Original/1204.jpg

Quote:
Paldies, what is the place you've seen 100?
Starting of Saulkrasti bypass there are signs after each junction/crossing indicating 100 km/h limit in your video.

Tags
highways, motorways