daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 7th, 2012, 08:30 AM   #1421
Jevpls

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkk View Post
Another thing I always wonder when driving South is how cyclists and pedestrians survive on the A1..
I've heard about many bad accidents before this reconstruction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli6 View Post
I remember LVC releasing a booklet about A1, it said that driver IS allowed to use the other half lane.
You can use that shoulder in case this line isn't continuous. If it is then you shouldn't use it.
In many cases people avoid this rule. For example, people from smaller roads have ability to drive on the main road (A1) without waiting for a long time. They drive on the shoulder and after reaching proper speed join the main traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
If you want people to be able to pass all the time, then construct a decent four-lane road. This is making a two-lane road into a de-facto four-lane road. There is a reason why you won't find such roads in countries with good traffic safety.
I agree. This could be a good solution but as far as I know, this A1 isn't to be reconstructed that soon. It can be done only A7 (Ķekava bypass), A4 and A10 sections.
Jevpls no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2012, 09:55 PM   #1422
makaveli6
(:

Likes (Received): 1319

A3 reconstruction. Didn't drive the whole stretch, only until Ragana.

In the start everyhting i almost finished, minus some visual touches.

In Murjāņi the old pavement can be still driven on.

Almost finished, again.

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.
makaveli6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 07:08 AM   #1423
Ocean Railroader
The Railroad Anomily

Likes (Received): 5

It's good to see them repairing the two lane roads in that I notice on this website a lot of places seem to be building or working on the 4 lane Motorways but not much is known about the two lane highways.
Ocean Railroader no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 09:09 AM   #1424
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Railroader View Post
It's good to see them repairing the two lane roads in that I notice on this website a lot of places seem to be building or working on the 4 lane Motorways but not much is known about the two lane highways.
I've lived in the Baltics (mostly in Vilnius, but also in Riga) for about 10 years and my impression is that the road construction programs have been a more or less balanced mix of a) building 2x2 motorways/expressways, b) upgrading 1x2 highways with a solid foundation (always lacking in soviet construction) and wider lanes and shoulders, and c) paving unpaved rural roads. You're right that most members of this forum take more interest in and more photographs of the 2x2 highway construction. The Via Baltica (E67) is a good example of a mostly 1x2 highway nearly all of which has been rebuilt to much improved standards throughout Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania.

ps: Yes, I realize that Estonia does not legally classify their 2x2 highways as motorways or expressways, but I think of them as de facto expressways despite not being controlled-access roads.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #1425
makaveli6
(:

Updated road construction map.

Works on P4 (Rīga - Ērgļi) 61.-5 - 69km have been finished.
---
Works have been stated in three places this week.
P32 (Līgatne - Skrīveri) 51.5 - 63.5km. Will be fully reconstructed. Works are being carried out by Strabag and A.C.B. Currently earthworks are going on and pavement is being laid.
Condition prior to works:

P86 (Sērene - Kalnieši) 5.5 - 11.5km. Pavement maintenance works on going. Works are being carried out by Panevēžio keilai.

P103 (Dobele - Bauska) 45-5 - 48.5km. Pavement maintenance works on going. Works are being carried out by Panevēžio keilai.

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.
Old August 14th, 2012, 03:19 PM   #1426
Burtinsh
LM

Likes (Received): 18

Something going on at P8 strech Inciems-Turaida. I checked LVC map, and makeveli6's map, but didn't find this construction. After what I've seen it looks like only reconstruction of small strech (about 300 meters), but my girlfriend said that there's freshly repaired strech somewhere near Inciems. Does anyone got any additional information about this? No map shows it. -.-

Bonus: Pair of pics by me. Quality might not be the best.

[IMG]http://i45.************/246v2gl.jpg[/IMG]
This is when I first noticed construction. I have no idea what's going on there right now, I'm not into road construction process at all.

[IMG]http://i45.************/72r5md.jpg[/IMG]
Same place, going to other direction, about 3 hours later. New asphalt had been laid already. Pretty fast, huh?
P.S. Sorry about that winshield and stuff. Took this pic in a hurry.

Well I can't tell anything more right now. If someone has some more info, post it please. And if you guys want more updates, I live nearby, so I can get them if there's interest.
Burtinsh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 07:45 PM   #1427
makaveli6
(:

There are alot of V and P roads currently being repaved in small stretches, the money was allocated by goverment a month ago for stretches which are in ”avarijas" condition. You can see the full list in LVC's iepirkumi. And ofcourse, please do make updates if that's close to you.

Poland.
Old August 14th, 2012, 09:56 PM   #1428
makaveli6
(:

A10 (Rīga - Ventspils) 24 - 36.5km. Currently road surface and bus stop construction. Speed limit is limited to 50 - 70km/h.

The first kilometers are ready and only awaiting for road markings.

Ditch digging going on.

In the next kilometers the last part of asphalt is being laid and traffic is organized by lights in one-lane.

After that there is a stretch awaiting the final layer.

Freshly laid apshalt.

This place seems a bit dangerous now without barriers...

Poland.
Old August 14th, 2012, 10:17 PM   #1429
Burtinsh
LM

I checked that page you said. I found that list, even some 2 or 3 lists, but I still couldn't manage to find P8 anywhere. Maybe I just suck at searching.
Old August 21st, 2012, 10:16 PM   #1430
makaveli6
(:

Works have started in P89 (Ķekava - Skaistkalne) 28.5 - 30.5km. Works are being carried out by Panevēžio keliai. Pavement maintenance works going on. Currently repaving is going on.

Poland.
Old August 30th, 2012, 11:45 AM   #1431
makaveli6
(:

Works on: P4 (Rīga - Ērgļi) 0 -2km.
P4 (Rīga - Ērgļi) 8 - 9.5km.
P76 (Aizkraukle - Jēkabpils) 24.5 - 33.5km.
P86 (Sērene - Kalnieši) 5.5 - 11.5km.
P89 (Ķekava - Skaistkalne) 28.5 - 30.5km.
P103 (Dobele - Bauska) 45-5 - 48.5km.

Poland.
Old August 31st, 2012, 12:52 PM   #1432
makaveli6
(:

A7 reconstruction, unfortunetly I didnt drive the full stretch, but here come the pictures. Currently earthworks, road and culvert construction and greening is going on.

Old apshalt still in place.

----

A5 and P80/E22 update coming soon.

Poland.
Old August 31st, 2012, 02:23 PM   #1433
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2301

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli6 View Post
A5 and P80/E22 update coming soon.
Sweet. I can't wait!
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2012, 04:25 PM   #1434
makaveli6
(:

Finished my trip just about 20 minutes ago. Found some unspotted and unsual speed sigsn again. First is a 80km/h sign on A6. http://maps.google.com/?ll=56.620779...294.83,,1,6.01

And a 40km/h sign on P87. http://maps.google.com/?ll=56.586374...182.5,,0,20.32

---

A5 reconstruction. Most of the works are finished, only some small stretches around A9 and A8 interchanges are having some works done. Mostly around A8.

Around A8, some small stretches still waiting for the pavement.

This part from A8 till P132 interchanges was mostly finished in 2011.

The second part from P132 till A9 interchange was mostly finished this year, but some minor works are still going on.

Poland.
Old September 1st, 2012, 04:59 PM   #1435
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

I wish Dutch N-roads looked like that. Ours are much narrower and less well-designed.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2012, 11:09 PM   #1436
makaveli6
(:

P80/E22 construction. Significant work has been done since the last time I drove there, but altogether the road is taking shape very slowly. Some 25 of the 35 kilometers on the old track, have been paved. Most of them still awaiting for the final layer. Most of the interchanges and bridges are partly finished. None of them are 100% finished, and only few opened to traffic. Dont know about the newly built part from Viskaļi to Koknese, it's still on-hold. Sorry for the poor wuality in some pictures, it was quite rainy.

The bridge over V968 has been finally finished, but not the whole interchange. (Maybe someone isnt so lazy as me, and can edit the bridge now as drivable in OSM )

-------

Also no signs of works on P32. And here are some bonus pics of P32 in village of Skrīveri.

------

Coming up next on updates is P80/E22/Koknese bypass.

Poland.
Old September 4th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #1437
Burtinsh
LM

Damn, that's one sweet road.

Nothing new in P8. Seems like they are not in a rush. Since I drove there last time, they have done nothing new. Like 200m stretch in Turaida, and about half-kilometre of other new asphalt in other parts of that road. I have some pics, but as they show nothing interesting, I'm not posting them this time..
Old September 6th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #1438
makaveli6
(:

Works ahve started on P32 (Līgatne - Skrīveri) 29 - 36.5km. Will be fully reconstructed and works are being done by HOCHTIEF Solution Latvija.

Also this week works have been finished on
A6 (Rīga - Daugavpils - Krāslava - Paternieki) 47 - 51km
&
V164 EST-Mazsalaca-Dīkļi 0-17km.

Poland.
Old September 6th, 2012, 07:06 PM   #1439
SeanT
DK/H

Likes (Received): 63

Nice, how many Kms of "Beach" (see-shore) can you find in Latvia?
SeanT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2012, 09:13 PM   #1440
makaveli6
(:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
Nice, how many Kms of "Beach" (see-shore) can you find in Latvia?
500km, if I understood your question correctly.

Poland.

Tags
highways, motorways