daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 17th, 2013, 03:32 PM   #1501
makaveli6
(:

Likes (Received): 1319

V135 will be recategorized from local road to P53 regional highway.

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.
makaveli6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 17th, 2013, 03:42 PM   #1502
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

What does the P prefix means nowadays? I believe it's a leftover from Soviet times, when the P prefix meant a regional road.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2013, 04:07 PM   #1503
makaveli6
(:

It's not left from Soviet times, afaik we didnt have any P road back then (at least I know only about M and A roads). All state roads were recgategorized in 90ies and nothing was left from Soviet's. As for the meaning, I have no clue. Probably no meaning, same as for V and A roads.

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.
Old March 17th, 2013, 04:18 PM   #1504
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2301

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
What does the P prefix means nowadays? I believe it's a leftover from Soviet times, when the P prefix meant a regional road.
No, it's not. After independence this prefix was added. "P" was standing for "Pirmās šķiras autoceļš" (first class road), and as of 1st of July, 2009, they were renamed to Regional roads.

ChrisZwolle liked this post
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2013, 05:09 PM   #1505
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Thanks.

I was looking at street view around Rīga and saw some pretty expensive housing just outside Rīga city limits, but they are all located along unpaved roads. Why is that? Can't they pay for paved roads? Examples are the Mārupe, Rāmava and parts of Stopiņi areas.
Old March 17th, 2013, 06:10 PM   #1506
makaveli6
(:

Most streets in Mārupe ar paved now, some works in Rāmava were done last summer too. Dont know anything about Stopiņi. All of these area's were built few years ago and new houses are being built every year there so its just a question of time.

Poland.
Old March 18th, 2013, 03:00 PM   #1507
Jevpls

Likes (Received): 6

1) Some rich people like to have their houses near Riga but not in the centre of any action. It's not a big suprise when you find an extremely expensive mansion in the end of some poor road.
I once talked to a person working in ambulance (Riga) and she told that it's a common situation. At first you have to drive around until the house is found.
Usually these persons have big SUV cars and that's not a big problem to drive any road.

2) Some new villages have problems with roads. It's due to irresponsible property sellers and stupid buyers. Many people have bought houses/land properties in such new villages and sellers usually promised to build roads and other infrastructure. Sometimes they promised to get the direct connection to some main road too. Mostly no roads have been built and no permissions to get direct connections to main roads are achieved. Sometimes these people use some old municipality roads or they create some illegal connections to main road.
Jevpls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2013, 11:30 PM   #1508
DITTRICH

Likes (Received): 0

Hi All,
I'm currently planning my next trip to Moscow in the summer and I am completely fed up with the road from Zarasai - Daugavpils - Rezekne - Terehova (Zilupe).
It's rubbish and on my last return journey, I simply asked the satnav for a direct cross country route and I was AMAZED at the quality of some of the minor roads compared to the main trucking route. So much so that I want to avoid the main road in 2013. But I have some questions and need some local knowledge to save me hours on streetview looking at the roads.
1 On roads passing close to the Border with Russia or Belarus? are there any restrictions (in general). I don't want to get stopped and detained for any reason!
2 Do we have any recommendations for PAVED / ASPHALT routes which avoid the main road? I don't mind UNPAVED roads in good weather but RWD cars, low profile tyres, and mud don't mix too well.
3 Have they finished digging up half of Rezekne and also installed the new bridge yet next to the Colonna Hotel?
Many thanks in advance,
Les
DITTRICH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2013, 08:35 AM   #1509
Jevpls

Hey,

At first I'd like to think that not all road from Zarasai to Zilupe could be that bad. Probably section from Daugavpils to Rēzekne should be quite good (at least it was last year).

1) There might be problems with Pātarnieki border crossing point (on road A6). I've heard that Belarus is planning to continue some works in their side. Last year there were periods that no cars were allowed to cross the border.
Probabaly Silene border crossing on road P68 is OK.

2)

3) As far as I remember - YES. Someobody can correct me if I'm wrong.
[by the way, last year the same situation could be seen in the Daugavpils - the main street had great repair works. That section was almost finished but this year probably other section will be reconstructed, so be carefully and if you wish not to use temporary bypasses then use Daugavpils bypass (A14 and A6))]
Old April 8th, 2013, 12:35 PM   #1510
DITTRICH

Thanks Jevpls.
Yes, now you mention it Daugavpils was an interesting experience too!
Believe me, the quality of the zarasai - rezekne road can be bad in places. But bad is a relative term and to be fair,the road is good in places. What surprised me was that some of the paved P roads in the SE of Latvia were 100% better - ie flat, uncracked, and unpatched. They probably survive better as fewer trucks go along them. The international trucking route is up to Rezekne and then turn east.
Old April 8th, 2013, 01:26 PM   #1511
Jevpls

Quality of pavement can differ due to different causes.

1) Lower AADT (and a few trucks only);

2) Different soils behave in a different way - clay, turf or gravel can't be compared with a good gravel.

3) Some roads have been reconstructed but some not. As far as I know, section Medumi - Daugavpils has been put in some program lists but due to lack of funds, it has been postponed.

ETC.

You see, there can be plenty of reasons why one road is better than another. Sometimes people might ask why the smaller road needs repair works if the large one is even worse but there are always some serious reasons

By the way, probably you have found out that section Ludza - Terehova (Zilupe) won't be that bad in the future. Some sections might be finished but I'm not sure which ones (don't trust Google Maps - they have put label A12 on the wrong road (it will be A12 but not now. Better take a look at Bing maps and you will find the real A12).

Last edited by Jevpls; April 8th, 2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old April 8th, 2013, 02:03 PM   #1512
makaveli6
(:

Well, I guess you could take A12? It's not in a so bad condition, atleast wasnt in 2012. Some stretches have already been reconstructed and the new A12 between Ludza-Zilupe should be opened soon, you can drive there already if you dont mind some gravel parts.
If it was up to me, to choose your route I would take this: http://goo.gl/maps/jC5S3 (Though you have drive the A13 on some parts)
Or if you dont mind taking P roads, of which some are gravel ones, I'd take this one. I drove it last summer, the gravel parts were in good cindition, very wide and with a very low AADT: http://goo.gl/maps/4xrJM

Poland.
Old April 8th, 2013, 02:25 PM   #1513
makaveli6
(:

Some information on road projects:
  • A9 Rīga-Liepāja 24.4km-38.1km reocnstruction could start in 2014/2015
  • V1152 Bērzi-Brocēnu stacija 4.2km-6.5km reconstruction could start this fall/2014
  • V1162 Saldus-Kūdra 0km-8.2km reconstruction could start in 2014.
  • V1003 bridge reconstruction over Riju strauts could start in 2013/2014
  • Pļaviņu HES tunnel and P87 Bauska-Aizkraukle 76.3km-78.4km reconstruction could start in 2013/2014.
  • A6/P10 interchange reconstruction coul start also in 2013/2014.
  • Some works on A5 Rīga HES could also start this year.

Poland.
Old April 8th, 2013, 03:19 PM   #1514
DITTRICH

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli6 View Post
Well, I guess you could take A12? It's not in a so bad condition, atleast wasnt in 2012. Some stretches have already been reconstructed and the new A12 between Ludza-Zilupe should be opened soon, you can drive there already if you dont mind some gravel parts.
If it was up to me, to choose your route I would take this: http://goo.gl/maps/jC5S3 (Though you have drive the A13 on some parts)
Or if you dont mind taking P roads, of which some are gravel ones, I'd take this one. I drove it last summer, the gravel parts were in good cindition, very wide and with a very low AADT: http://goo.gl/maps/4xrJM
Thanks for that!
At least Latvia has almost total google maps coverage unlike north eastern Poland!
Old April 14th, 2013, 02:40 PM   #1515
makaveli6
(:

First, map of A roads that will be reconstructed in 2014-2020.
http://lvceli.lv/resources/web/Celu%...NAP%202020.jpg

Map of P roads to be reconstructed/repaved in 2014-2020,
http://lvceli.lv/resources/web/Celu%..._2014_2020.jpg

Map of A road current condition.
http://kartes.lvceli.lv/resources/we...0stavoklis.jpg

Poland.
Old April 14th, 2013, 02:52 PM   #1516
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Wow there is still a lot to do in renovating the main roads. Why is it taking so long? Most other EU countries in the region (Estonia, Lithuania, Poland) renovated a much larger share of their main road network.
Old April 14th, 2013, 03:02 PM   #1517
makaveli6
(:

Proably because all road works are EU financed, goverment leaves very small amount for road works, and even then most of it is used to clean the roads from snow in winter. Apperantly that is going to change and we are going to get 10% more money every year for roads, until 2020.

Poland.
Old April 14th, 2013, 03:35 PM   #1518
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2301

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Wow there is still a lot to do in renovating the main roads. Why is it taking so long? Most other EU countries in the region (Estonia, Lithuania, Poland) renovated a much larger share of their main road network.
Because road works are financed only with limited EU funds. Our road budget is enough for their maintenance. Nothing from vehicle and fuel tax goes into roads.
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 08:43 AM   #1519
Jevpls

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipleyLV View Post
Nothing from vehicle and fuel tax goes into roads.
Nothing? Not at all! 8% from fuel taxes are given to roads
But if we talk seriously then it's not funny at all. As far as I know, Estonia gives 80% from fuel taxes to roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli6 View Post
Apperantly that is going to change and we are going to get 10% more money every year for roads, until 2020.
You shouldn't be so sure about that. If I'm not wrong, such thing happens for a few last years. Every year we are supposed to get these 10% or so but nothing changes.
Old April 15th, 2013, 02:02 PM   #1520
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevpls View Post
Nothing? Not at all! 8% from fuel taxes are given to roads
As far as I know, Estonia gives 80% from fuel taxes to roads.
Not really. By law, the size of the Estonian Road Administration budget has to be at least 75% of the fuel tax income but since the road budget also includes EU funds, only around 25% of the fuel tax actually goes to roads.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways