daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 28th, 2014, 03:02 PM   #1701
makaveli6
(:

Likes (Received): 1319

P73

P73/Augšzeme st. reconstruction in Aknīste.

1. Map

Total cost of project 1,218,735 EUR.

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.
makaveli6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2014, 12:04 AM   #1702
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

tolls

Tolls have been introduced for heavy vehicles in Latvia, starting today.

There is an electronic vignette to be paid by drivers of vehicles of over 3.5 tonnes. The tolls for a typical heavy truck are € 11 per day to € 711 per year.

I've seen it called a 'eurovignette' in the media, but as far as I can tell it's not part of the actual eurovignette system in NL/B/L/S/DK.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 05:03 PM   #1703
BriedisUnIzlietne

Likes (Received): 2902

To my mind the worst is that it doesn't include distance. You could be using just a few hundred meters of A roads and you still have to pay, right? So the worst luck is probably for the warehouses which have been built on the main roads just outside Rīga city. Since they are outside the city, the trucks will have to pay the vignette although most make trips between the warehouse and the various supermarkets around the city, using the main road for no more than 3 km per trip.

So Maxima supermarket chain will now have 711€ expenses per every truck because their warehouse is just outside Riga while Rimi will only have to pay for the trucks that go outside Riga as their warehouse is in the city itself.

Please correct me if i'm wrong.
BriedisUnIzlietne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 06:13 PM   #1704
makaveli6
(:

I would be happy if Maxima had to pay twice as much.

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 06:20 PM   #1705
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I doubt if € 711 is really going to make a difference on the operating cost of a truck. Trucks can easily cost as much as € 120,000 to purchase.

The situation where a domestic trucking company would almost never use A-roads is pretty rare.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 08:26 PM   #1706
makaveli6
(:

Looks like Latvia is indeed part of the Eurovignette, pricing in lvvignette.eu is the same as for Sweden, Netherlands and others. Or i'm wrong?

Poland.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 08:35 PM   #1707
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The eurovignette is cheaper on a daily basis, but considerably more expensive on an annual basis than the Latvian vignette.

https://www.eurovignettes.eu/portal/tariffs/tariffs
Old July 2nd, 2014, 08:45 PM   #1708
BriedisUnIzlietne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I doubt if € 711 is really going to make a difference on the operating cost of a truck. Trucks can easily cost as much as € 120,000 to purchase.
I've seen the examples of Maxima's truck fleet. They don't look 120 000 €-ish. Instead they mostly use something like this 30 000 € second or probably even third-hand truck. And it's the same with most domestic companies too.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 09:44 AM   #1709
Jevpls

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:

The situation where a domestic trucking company would almost never use A-roads is pretty rare.
I agree. Operating costs are quite high because they drive a lot. For example, loaded truck can consume like 30 l (approx.) of diesel fuel per 100 km. And that's only fuel... 711 euros per year isn't much I guess.

In fact this tax isn't a smart idea (at least they way it's implemented). Most of tax payers will be local truckers and why do they have to pay twice (they pay annual tax)? If they had no annual tax to pay then it would be more honest. Out transit traffic is low and our local truckers will suffer...
Anyway I doubt that this tax will have any impact on road quality...
Jevpls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2014, 04:16 PM   #1710
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The toll of € 711 is quite low. The truck toll in Slovakia is € 0.212 per km for a euro 3/4 truck. You pay those € 711 after driving 3.350 kilometers in Slovakia, for a truck that can be within a few weeks.

I don't think the LV truck toll will make a huge difference in road funding. Vignette systems itself are pretty flawed as a method of funding roads. No country can fund its road network with vignettes.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 07:06 PM   #1711
makaveli6
(:

A10/Islands bridge

Renovation works on Islands bridge/A10 in Riga have started. The bridge over river Daugava and Mazā Daugava was built between 1968 and 1976 and since then it has not faced any significant reconstruction works. Concrete and plaster surface's are outworn, pedestrian tunnel has had it's lightning removed and expansion joint isn't fullfilling it's duty.

During renovation the surface will be dismantled, waterproofing of the bridge will be built from sctratch, span design will be restored and new expansion joint's will be built.

The pedestrian tunnel will recieve new LED lightning, video surveillance cameras. The tunnel will be easily accesable for cyclist's.

Poland.

banaanumaize, BriedisUnIzlietne liked this post
Old July 4th, 2014, 04:23 PM   #1712
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2301

Quote:
Tolls have been introduced for heavy vehicles in Latvia, starting today.

There is an electronic vignette to be paid by drivers of vehicles of over 3.5 tonnes. The tolls for a typical heavy truck are € 11 per day to € 711 per year.

I've seen it called a 'eurovignette' in the media, but as far as I can tell it's not part of the actual eurovignette system in NL/B/L/S/DK.
It's funny how they didn't include toll to the recently opened P80 highway, since most freight is diverted from A6. (see map)
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2014, 08:40 AM   #1713
Jevpls

Likes (Received): 6

Hey, you are right. That's interesting.
Sure, it's a regional road but in future it's going to be the main road and in fact it looks more main road than many main roads
Jevpls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2014, 08:30 PM   #1714
TeKnO_Lx

Likes (Received): 282

Does Latvia plan to build highway connections to Tallin or Vilnius? I was impressed with such lack of connections when I lived there, about two years ago. Internally also Riga-Liepeja-Ventspils was lacking such infraestruture, although traffic doesn´t justify such construction
How is the car mortality rate in Latvia, compared to EU average?
Old July 9th, 2014, 08:40 PM   #1715
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Latvia's fatality rate is well above the EU average. However, they did managed to get an over 50% reduction between 2000 and 2010.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

TeKnO_Lx liked this post
Old July 9th, 2014, 09:16 PM   #1716
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeKnO_Lx View Post
Does Latvia plan to build highway connections to Tallin or Vilnius? I was impressed with such lack of connections when I lived there, about two years ago. Internally also Riga-Liepeja-Ventspils was lacking such infraestruture, although traffic doesn´t justify such construction
How is the car mortality rate in Latvia, compared to EU average?
The Via Baltica (Warsaw - Kaunas - Riga - Tallinn) will eventually be 2x2 but only when the EU is ready to fund 85% and that may be in the 2030s or 2040s. Warsaw - Kaunas might be completed by about 2025. Kaunas - Panavezys might be built sometime around 2030.

TeKnO_Lx liked this post
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2014, 09:25 PM   #1717
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2301

Current priority in The Baltic States is to make a rail connection between all three capitals and Warszawa. I doub't we'll see a motorway even in 2050.

TeKnO_Lx, Rebasepoiss liked this post
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2014, 10:40 AM   #1718
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipleyLV View Post
I doub't we'll see a motorway even in 2050.
It is certainly possible that 2x2 all the way between Kaunas and Tallinn will not be completed by 2050. There are some parts that would really surprise me if they were not completed by 2050: Tallinn - Parnu, Tuja - Riga - Bauska, Panevezys - Kaunas - Warsaw. Parnu - Tuja and Bauska - Panevezys could take a very long time.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2014, 01:41 PM   #1719
BriedisUnIzlietne

Btw what will happen to Baltezers? There is no space for 2+2. Will drivers have to take Ādaži bypass - Baltezers bypass (Northern corridor extendion) - Jaunciema gatve - Vidzeme highway - Rīga bypass if the traffic gets too high?
Old July 10th, 2014, 03:55 PM   #1720
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I think a decent 2+1 road will suffice between Riga and Pärnu. The AADT is only 3,000 - 5,000 vehicles per day and with the demographic decline of the Baltics I don't think it makes sense to wait for a motorway.

Tags
highways, motorways