daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 10th, 2014, 07:19 PM   #1721
makaveli6
(:

Likes (Received): 1322

As stated above Via Baltica as a motorway in full lenght will never happen in the coming 50 years or so. But some parts will surely be completed. The plan for A4 expressway is pretty realistic, as it's planned to start the construction in 2018 if we get EU money for it.
Bypass for Baltezers is planned, but there are no actual construction dates for it. Baltezers bypass will connect to 1st phase of Northern corridor, so they will leave space for planned interchange there when it's completed. 1st phase is planned to be finished by 2018.

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.
makaveli6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2014, 12:37 PM   #1722
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2305

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli6 View Post
The plan for A4 expressway is pretty realistic, as it's planned to start the construction in 2018 if we get EU money for it.
Won't happen. The other half of A4 from the A6 to Upeslejas is included in the reconstruction program, planned start date is 2017.
RipleyLV está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2014, 12:53 PM   #1723
Jevpls

Likes (Received): 6

I've heard that A4 and A7 (Ķekava bypass) are meant to be PPP projects. Somehow I don't give much about these two... I remember the first PPP project (A2). Lots of talking during several years and the result is ZERO. I'd say that it's even worse. If it wasn't planned as a PPP project then maybe it could be reconstructed normally then.
Jevpls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2014, 01:05 PM   #1724
RipleyLV

Funny that Ķekavas bypass is still considered as a PPP financed project set to go in the upcoming years. Nevertheless, I think it's the only road project out of all mentioned earlier that might be completed before 2020.
Old July 11th, 2014, 02:54 PM   #1725
makaveli6
(:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipleyLV View Post
Won't happen. The other half of A4 from the A6 to Upeslejas is included in the reconstruction program, planned start date is 2017.
Few months ago LVC said that A4 is planned as an expressway in this EU planning program. Strange.

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.
Old July 11th, 2014, 08:53 PM   #1726
Maadeuurija

Likes (Received): 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I think a decent 2+1 road will suffice between Riga and Pärnu. The AADT is only 3,000 - 5,000 vehicles per day and with the demographic decline of the Baltics I don't think it makes sense to wait for a motorway.
Riga-Pärnu will stay as a regular road, but there are plans to make some parts of Tallinn-Pärnu a 2+1 road by the 2020s
Maadeuurija no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2014, 01:47 PM   #1727
ssh
i don't like skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 95

I have to say Tallinn-Pärnu at night is one of the scariest drives I've had to make so far. There is just so much non-stop truck traffic, it's crazy.
Old July 17th, 2014, 08:59 AM   #1728
Jevpls

http://www.tvnet.lv/auto/satiksme/51...ri_bojagajusie

After a crash police will ask Latvian State roads to put a speed limit sign on the A1 road. Hell yeah, soon we'll have speed limits everywhere without any serious reason.
Old July 17th, 2014, 09:57 AM   #1729
BriedisUnIzlietne

Likes (Received): 2907

It's like something from Emil i Lönneberga (Emīla nedarbi)

"When there are no good roads, I can't drive fast! When there is a good road, I'm not allowed to drive fast! So where can I drive fast?!"
BriedisUnIzlietne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2014, 02:12 PM   #1730
RipleyLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevpls View Post
http://www.tvnet.lv/auto/satiksme/51...ri_bojagajusie

After a crash police will ask Latvian State roads to put a speed limit sign on the A1 road. Hell yeah, soon we'll have speed limits everywhere without any serious reason.
Idiots. They should better ask CSDD to reform the driving education.
Old July 17th, 2014, 09:50 PM   #1731
Jevpls

Nobody should ask CSDD anything. As far as I'm concerned, this institution is far from road safety. They have great dreams and visions about future on the roads but it's not connected with real situation at all. That's my bad experience with CSDD...

But I can understand police in one point of view. Our people always want to blame somebody for mysterious fault. When there is a road reconstruction then there's always somebody that dislikes that. After road works have been done, probably once there will be an accident (they happen) and this person definetely will shout - I told ya! I predicted that this new road won't be safe at all etc. Nobody cares about the real cause of accident. It may be getting asleep or drunk driving.
In this case it's easier for police to ask for putting a speed limit sign. If LSR decide not to put it then there's a institution to blame - we asked but they weren't interested in that...
Old July 30th, 2014, 12:37 PM   #1732
makaveli6
(:

Island bridge

A few shots from Island bridge reconstruction.

Poland.

SRC_100, BriedisUnIzlietne liked this post
Old August 10th, 2014, 03:09 PM   #1733
makaveli6
(:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipleyLV View Post
We are one step closer to Ķekava bypass. Works could start in 2018.

Poland.
Old August 13th, 2014, 12:25 AM   #1734
banaanumaize

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli6 View Post
We are one step closer to Ķekava bypass. Works could start in 2018.
So does it mean that the 2+2 part of it will be a true "120 allowed" road?
banaanumaize no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2014, 11:23 AM   #1735
makaveli6
(:

Quote:
Originally Posted by banaanumaize View Post
So does it mean that the 2+2 part of it will be a true "120 allowed" road?
Not exactly, it's going to be an expressway with speed limit of 110.

----

P1/Jaunciema gatve interchange from above.

Poland.

SRC_100 liked this post
Old August 19th, 2014, 03:07 PM   #1736
BriedisUnIzlietne

It's official - all pedestrians and cyclists will be required by law to wear high visibility jackets at night in unlit areas

Would I be wrong in saying that we are the first country in the world to do this?
Old August 19th, 2014, 03:26 PM   #1737
rauno

Likes (Received): 367

Was there a wider discussion before this kind of decision? I think it's reasonable considering the situation in traffic safety.
Old August 19th, 2014, 03:34 PM   #1738
BriedisUnIzlietne

Well, basically... the CSDD (Road Taffic Safety Office) said that obligatory vests would save lives, and the government accepted it.
Old August 19th, 2014, 04:05 PM   #1739
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19427

I have mixed feelings about it. I think it is safer, especially in areas with no sidewalk or bike path available. However, it also feels a bit like an overprotective nanny state. I am not aware of any other countries where reflective safety vests are mandated for pedestrians at night. However, you see many joggers and runners in the Netherlands wearing them during winter.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2014, 09:56 PM   #1740
Jevpls

Well, there are different pedestrians. I've seen ones that follow the traffic and try to move as far from cars as possible and there are some smart ones that go almost in driving lane and they think... they probably don't think at all.
I think that the first ones would be quite safe even any fancy jackets. Against idiots there are no rules...

The same about cyclists in Riga. This bullshit about living in a green way (what means driving more with bicycles) makes me feel sick. Has any of these speakers seen the real situation? Total ban of bicycles would make traffic much safer.
In fact I have nothing against bicycles unless they drive in a normal way but not like now. They have rights but no there's no such thing as responsibility.

For foreigners that don't know Riga - these cyclists ignore most of traffic laws. For example, traffic lights don't exist for them...

EDIT: By the way. Yesterday I drove to Lāčplēša street (between Čaka and Valdemāra) and I was shocked. Seems like municipality has a great plan for reducing traffic jams - they changed driving lane count from 4 to 2... but they created parking places and cyclist driveways. I've heard that the same has happened to Dzirnavu street as well.
Now I don't really understand how to behave there. I have to turn right but I'm on the left lane (the right is for cyclists). Usually when I have to turn right, I just do it but now I have to watch those damn cyclists (or do I understand it wrong?). Yeah, another traffic safety improvement.

Tags
highways, motorways