daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 26th, 2014, 11:51 PM   #1761
PovilD
Naudotojas

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli6 View Post
Come on, it's not that bad now. Most of the worst A road sections have been reconstructed in the last few years. f.e. surface quality of Via Baltica in Latvia is better than in Lithuania. Most of Lithuanian regional roads are in similar condition to Latvian counterparts. And no, we don't have any sleeper lines.
Well done then... Via Baltica in Lithuania actually didn't saw bigger reconstructions in some sections recently. There are two stretches that is planned to reconstruct: some 10 km near Panevezys and between Garliava and Mauruciai (not including 10 km widening near Sasnava in A5)

Last edited by PovilD; August 26th, 2014 at 11:57 PM.
PovilD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2014, 02:55 PM   #1762
makaveli6
(:

Likes (Received): 1319

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipleyLV View Post
Duuude, what have you done? You just added oil to fire! I'm getting outta' here
The picture posted was of Lithuanian roads (?). Well, it looked like Lithuania, that why I chose LT. Also Briedis was mocking Latvian roads, as we all, typical Latvians, though the situation has changed for better, alot in the recent years. No offence, Lithuania still has motorways.

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.
makaveli6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 04:21 PM   #1763
PovilD
Naudotojas

Quote:
The picture posted was of Lithuanian roads (?). Well, it looked like Lithuania, that why I chose LT. Also Briedis was mocking Latvian roads, as we all, typical Latvians, though the situation has changed for better, alot in the recent years. No offence, Lithuania still has motorways.
Do you have plans to upgrade some dual-carriegeways to motorway (e.g. Riga-Jelgava)?
Old August 27th, 2014, 04:22 PM   #1764
PovilD
Naudotojas

Quote:
Do you have plans to upgrade some dual-carriegeways to motorway (e.g. Riga-Jelgava)?
Old August 27th, 2014, 04:43 PM   #1765
makaveli6
(:

No real plans for motorways in the next few years. Ķekava bypass will be built as an expressway, but only half of it will be dual carriegeway.
P80 already meets expressway standarts, but only one carriegeway is currently built.

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.
Old August 27th, 2014, 05:18 PM   #1766
rauno

Likes (Received): 365

While driving in Latvia I noticed that you use 100 km/h speed limit in summer. Have there been discussions about lowering the speed limits? We are moving to lower speeds (in Estonia). In summer time we used to have 100 km/h speed limits on some 1+1 roads, but that practice was rejected three years ago due to traffic safety issues and we won't see it ever again. More and more it seems that our general 90 km/h speed limit is too much. Have you had any similar discussions in Latvia (or Lithuania)?
Old August 27th, 2014, 05:24 PM   #1767
makaveli6
(:

We only have few sections of 1+1 road with 100km/h limit, most of them are grade-seperated or with minimum curves and almost none at grade intersections. We have never had any serious talks to lower the 90 km/h speed limit (atleast I have never heard any), but we have had discussions that 90km/h speed limit should be raised to 100 km/h on A roads.

Poland.
Old August 27th, 2014, 06:04 PM   #1768
BriedisUnIzlietne

Likes (Received): 2902

There are plans of lowering the speed limit from 90 to 80 on gravel roads since they are very dangerous: 25% of road accidents happen on gravel roads.
(http://www.lsm.lv/lv/raksts/latvija/...80-kmh.a88932/)

I fail to see how that is relevant though as 80% of roads in Latvia are gravel or dirt ones. Which means that 75% of accidents happen on only 20% of our roads. I'm pretty sure that they should be addressed first.
BriedisUnIzlietne está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 06:15 PM   #1769
makaveli6
(:

I fail to see how they would enforce the 80 km/h speed limit on those gravel roads, traffic intensity on them is second to none, a police patrol or a speed camera on road which has AADT of 200 is waste of money.

Poland.
Old August 27th, 2014, 06:42 PM   #1770
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Likes (Received): 329

Quote:
Originally Posted by rauno View Post
While driving in Latvia I noticed that you use 100 km/h speed limit in summer. Have there been discussions about lowering the speed limits? We are moving to lower speeds (in Estonia). In summer time we used to have 100 km/h speed limits on some 1+1 roads, but that practice was rejected three years ago due to traffic safety issues and we won't see it ever again. More and more it seems that our general 90 km/h speed limit is too much. Have you had any similar discussions in Latvia (or Lithuania)?
In Lithuania we had recently proposed a speed increase on expressways in summer from 110 km/h to 120 km/h and in winter from 100 km/h to 110 km/h. Those changes shall be validated from a beginning of 2015.
We have 70 km/h on gravel roads.
Xmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 06:55 PM   #1771
BriedisUnIzlietne

Quote:
I fail to see how they would enforce the 80 km/h speed limit on those gravel roads, traffic intensity on them is second to none, a police patrol or a speed camera on road which has AADT of 200 is waste of money.
Well... maybe on P4 on Lielie Kangari (AADT ~2000) they could/should enforce it. But, although it's currently legal to do 90 there, you'd have to be mad to drive on Lielie Kangari even at 80!
Old August 27th, 2014, 06:57 PM   #1772
makaveli6
(:

Lielie Kangari will be paved very soon.

Poland.
Old August 27th, 2014, 07:02 PM   #1773
BriedisUnIzlietne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmaster View Post
In Lithuania .. we have 70 km/h on gravel roads.
It's amazing to think that you drive at 70 while over here already a kilometer from the Lithuanian border there are cars doing 130 on gravel roads - almost twice as fast!
Old August 27th, 2014, 07:13 PM   #1774
BriedisUnIzlietne

When was the E67 Ainaži bypass built?
Old August 27th, 2014, 07:18 PM   #1775
makaveli6
(:

Prior to 1990, that's all I know. I have some pre-90ies map's of Latvian roads somewhere. I could check them.

Poland.
Old August 27th, 2014, 07:30 PM   #1776
BriedisUnIzlietne

Well then basically our Via Batica road quality overall is better than in Lithuania only because we started building/reconstructing it much later than in Lithuania. We did it in 2000s while they - in 1990ies.
Old August 27th, 2014, 07:47 PM   #1777
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriedisUnIzlietne View Post
Well then basically our Via Batica road quality overall is better than in Lithuania only because we started building/reconstructing it much later than in Lithuania. We did it in 2000s while they - in 1990ies.
Quite strange presumption You have to evaluate all further repavement and reconstruction works before claiming it Many stretches in Lithuania have been renovated in recent years.
Old August 27th, 2014, 07:48 PM   #1778
makaveli6
(:

Roads like Via Baltica should be repaved every now and then, something I haven't seen in Lithuania much (maybe i'm wrong, feel free to correct me). It's probably the only thing we have got right, on our roads. This year we repaved A7 Iecava-Bauska and A1 Baltezers-Saulkrasti, altough the road was reconstructed ~10 years ago, we needed just a simple and cheap repaving for it be like new for another 10 years.
Don't get me wrong, it's just that after driving Via Baltica 1+1 parts Poland and Lithuania, the Latvian ones were in better condition. Then again, i'm talking only about Via Baltica. Let's not start our typical "baltic state x roads vs. baltic state x roads" discussion.

Poland.
Old August 27th, 2014, 08:12 PM   #1779
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Quote:
Roads like Via Baltica should be repaved every now and then, something I haven't seen in Lithuania much (maybe i'm wrong, feel free to correct me). It's probably the only thing we have got right, on our roads. This year we repaved A7 Iecava-Bauska and A1 Baltezers-Saulkrasti, altough the road was reconstructed ~10 years ago, we needed just a simple and cheap repaving for it be like new for another 10 years.
Don't get me wrong, it's just that after driving Via Baltica 1+1 parts Poland and Lithuania, the Latvian ones were in better condition. Then again, i'm talking only about Via Baltica. Let's not start our typical "baltic state x roads vs. baltic state x roads" discussion.
No, I'm not starting any fights for which country has better roads, just claiming, that it is in a better condition judging years it was started to reconstruct for the first time for me sounds pretty funny
In my opinion Via Baltica in Lithuania and Latvia are at really similar level.
Old August 27th, 2014, 08:28 PM   #1780
BriedisUnIzlietne

But I do like how Lithuania has much more dual carriageways on their Via Baltica.
They have three section with lengths 1,2 km, 37 km (9,5 km of that is motorway) and 1,5 km.
While we have just two parts - one is a miserable 300 meters of dual carriageway and the other is 5 km of which 900m is at 50 km/h

Tags
highways, motorways