daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 27th, 2014, 08:35 PM   #1781
makaveli6
(:

Likes (Received): 1322

Lithuanian Via Baltica has bigger traffic intensity. Not defending Latvia though, we desperetly need Bauska, Iecava and Salaspils bypass, not even talking about dual carriegeways on some parts.

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.
makaveli6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2014, 09:00 PM   #1782
BriedisUnIzlietne

Likes (Received): 2907

Salaspils bypass? Wut?
BriedisUnIzlietne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 09:46 PM   #1783
makaveli6
(:

I mean the new bridge over Daugava, that would bypass Salaspils, if you are travelling from Lithuania to Estonia.

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.
Old August 27th, 2014, 10:14 PM   #1784
BriedisUnIzlietne

Oh, that! What was the plan? To built a combined high speed rail and road bridge or to build two separate bridges?
Old August 27th, 2014, 10:33 PM   #1785
makaveli6
(:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriedisUnIzlietne View Post
Oh, that! What was the plan? To built a combined high speed rail and road bridge or to build two separate bridges?
I think it was a combined bridge, but then again, I think that Rail Baltica bridge could be built sooner, but I haven't heard any plans to build the motorway in the coming years...

Poland.
Old August 29th, 2014, 11:56 AM   #1786
Jevpls

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli6 View Post
Lithuanian Via Baltica has bigger traffic intensity. Not defending Latvia though, we desperetly need Bauska, Iecava and Salaspils bypass, not even talking about dual carriegeways on some parts.
About Salaspils: E22 direction drivers use the new P80 road and therefore they avoid Salaspils. Sure, E67 direction drivers stil drive through this town but don't expect to get any reasonable solution soon. The new Daugava river crossing would be good solution but it's large and expensive project and won't be done without EU funds. In this case it could be done together with Rail Baltica to achive CEF money but everyone should understand that it won't happen that soon.

About Iecava: Well, once there was a large feasibility study for A7 road. As far as I remember, the first solution was to rebuild the existing road in Iecava as 2+2 road. Probably Iecava didn't like that. Then there were a few bypass versions but Iecava didn't like them either. The last version was kinda huge bypass very far from town and therefore a reasonable building time is somewhere in the far future.

About Bauska: I agree that Bauska needs bypass. Probably well see this first from all those 3 mentioned.
Jevpls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2014, 12:52 PM   #1787
makaveli6
(:

Bauska & Iecava would get one huge bypass instead of two smaller ones, the allignment was similar to the one I just draw.
E22 drivers will go through Salaspils as long as the P80 won't be connected to Riga's inner bypass, by a normal road, not the current P5. Construction can't be expected before 2020. This is the second most realistic road project after Ķekava bypass.

Poland.

GROBIN liked this post
Old August 29th, 2014, 02:22 PM   #1788
rauno

Likes (Received): 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipleyLV View Post
A1 Via Baltica near Ādaži:

What are the main arguments when building these kind of roads? I noticed that Via Baltica sections in south of Riga which are currently under construction will probably be the same kind. Is it considered as good solution? What is the traffic safety view on this? I mean that they attract up to four lane traffic on a two lane road with some nasty overtakes which often are not even considered as overtakes (by the drivers).

GROBIN, geometarkv liked this post
rauno no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2014, 02:37 PM   #1789
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19427

2+1 could fit there. It's much safer than semi-shoulders which are used to pass other vehicles during oncoming traffic.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

GROBIN liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2014, 02:42 PM   #1790
Jevpls

Well, I think it IS a good solution. Sure, 2+2 is always better but if I have to choose between usual 2 lane road and this one, I'll always choose the one with wide shoulders.
I drive to Saulkrasti occasionally and I've watched the traffic. If there were a usual 2 lane road, it would be a nightmare. That would mean NO NORMAL overtaking possible at all (at least till Saulkrasti) and I believe that many drivers would try to do rather risky overtakings that might end with nasty crashes.
Right now everyhing goes fine. Most of the drivers understand how to use such kind of road. Well, there are occasions with dangerous overtakings in both directions and with idiots by the steering wheel but such things happen on the all roads.
I've heard that the first years after reconstruction there were more accidents but right now their count has decreased. I haven't seen the statitistics, though. Somebody could ask CSDD for that (but don't forget that AADT has rised much as well).

Quote:

Bauska & Iecava would get one huge bypass instead of two smaller ones, the allignment was similar to the one I just draw.
I know but there is one BUT. Seems like Bauska bypass is to be built before Iecava bypass and that means a connection with existing A7 near Code.

GROBIN liked this post
Old August 29th, 2014, 05:28 PM   #1791
BriedisUnIzlietne

I agree with Chris that a 2+1 would be a better option. But maybe one like our new A12 where overtaking is allowed:

We would have to rebuild bus stops and junctions, but the result would be a less chaotic traffic.
Old August 30th, 2014, 01:13 AM   #1792
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2305

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevpls View Post
About Iecava: Well, once there was a large feasibility study for A7 road. As far as I remember, the first solution was to rebuild the existing road in Iecava as 2+2 road. Probably Iecava didn't like that. Then there were a few bypass versions but Iecava didn't like them either. The last version was kinda huge bypass very far from town and therefore a reasonable building time is somewhere in the far future.
Detailed research on bypass hasn't been started yet, it's at version stage. LVC could focus on Iecava no sooner than 2025.
Source (page 20): http://kartes.lvceli.lv/LVC_WEB_FILE...ns_A7_OBOM.pdf
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2014, 04:39 PM   #1793
NickLV

Likes (Received): 78

A13/E262 Finished reconstruction from Malta to Balbiši. | MAP

[IMG]http://i58.************/2dcef45.png[/IMG]
screenshot

YT user "ProstoRomka" made a nice timelapse video in russian which can be viewed HERE
Old August 31st, 2014, 11:17 PM   #1794
RipleyLV

Update - 31/08/2014

Our answer to Ontario Highway 401 in Toronto!

1. A10/K. Ulmaņa gatve widening works are completed. Direction to Jūrmala.

2. Other direction, to Riga Center.

3. Same direction to Center.

4. End of widened highway near crossing with Lielirbes street. Of course these parallel roads will be extended further in the nearest time, maybe..

5. View back to Jūrmala.

7. One of the main road work zone in Riga - Salu bridge reconstruction.

Old September 6th, 2014, 06:43 PM   #1795
makaveli6
(:

Some news on planned expressways in Latvia:
  • It's planned to allocate 12,8 million EUR next year, in order to purchase the land for A7 Ķekava byapss construction.
  • A4 widening is planned for 2014-2020 EU planning period. 8,5 million EUR are needed in order to build the second carriegeway, no word on if it will be an expressway tough.

Also environmental impact assessment on A12 Rēzekne-Ludza new allignment has been published here.

Poland.

GROBIN liked this post

Last edited by makaveli6; September 6th, 2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old September 8th, 2014, 08:25 AM   #1796
Jevpls

Quote:
Some news on planned expressways in Latvia:
  • It's planned to allocate 12,8 million EUR next year, in order to purchase the land for A7 Ķekava byapss construction.
  • A4 widening is planned for 2014-2020 EU planning period. 8,5 million EUR are needed in order to build the second carriegeway, no word on if it will be an expressway tough.

Also environmental impact assessment on A12 Rēzekne-Ludza new allignment has been published here.
I hope it will be. I've seen the project and most of the junctions are in 2 levels. There are lots of small connecting roads planned to provide connection to every property.

About A12. I suggest you to read all those summaries of public meetings - sometimes they can be really funny.

BriedisUnIzlietne liked this post
Old September 8th, 2014, 12:46 PM   #1797
makaveli6
(:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevpls View Post
I hope it will be. I've seen the project and most of the junctions are in 2 levels. There are lots of small connecting roads planned to provide connection to every property.

About A12. I suggest you to read all those summaries of public meetings - sometimes they can be really funny.
Look up discussion on A4 in Latvian sub-forum.

Poland.
Old September 9th, 2014, 01:39 AM   #1798
RipleyLV

If Ķekava bypass as pilot project will be realized using public private partnership funding, that would give a more realistic vision to build other important roads using the same investment method. Hopefully nothing goes wrong this time around since the A2 failure.
Old September 16th, 2014, 10:13 PM   #1799
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

Hello
This weekend, as I wrote on the Lithuanian thread, I've been to Daugavpils for the first time since 2003, and in Latvia for the first time since 2004.
As I made only around 20-25 km one way on the Latvian territory from Zarasai (LT) towards Daugavpils, it is very difficult for me to judge & compare: I've driven only on the A13/E262 Ēģipte - Daugavpils, & also within the whole town.

As I was seeing on the pics of this forum how the condition of the Latvian roads has improved, I was very disappointed with that small ~20km stretch, which was very bumpy with potholes filled 10,000 times However, I wasn't shocked by the roadsign "Speed cameras in use" as 2 Latvian friends of mine told me to avoid speeding because of that in their country.

When I entered the town of Daugvapils ...... yes, I had to pick my jaw from the floor Not a single Lithuanian town I've been to in the past 14 months (since I live in Vilnius) looks so well. All Daugavpils' streets, sidewalks and even tram rails have been entirely repaved. Comparing to how it looked 11 years ago (or even on Google Street View), it was a shock to me. Even the commieblocks look better, though their façades still haven't been insulated either.
I'm pretty curious if all Latvian major cities & towns (Rīga, Jelgava, Bauska, Jūrmala, Ventspils, Liepāja...) look as good as Daugavpils in the inside... I'm afraid I'll have to wait until 2015 to be sure

On the Lithuanian side, they're entirely repaving (all layers) the A6/E262 from Degučiai to Zarasai, and from Zarasai to the Latvian border (notabene: Latvians are working there, not Lithuanians). On the informational roadsigns, it was stated that the road that's being repaved is the "Utena - Zarasai - Daugpilis (=Daugavpils)" road, but ... on the Latvian side, I saw no roadworks nor info about this fact. What are the plans about this road?

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2014, 09:00 AM   #1800
Jevpls

Yeah, that section between Daugavpils and Medumi is quite awful. As far as I know, it is going to be a serious reconstruction there but I don't know the exact year - maybe in next few years (btw, section between Daugavpils - Špoģi) is planned for the next year.

About Daugavpils. Yeah, it looks better but there have been great problems during the last few years. All those road works are being done for like 3 years or so. All that time there were used different temporary driving routes that changed often and it was quite uncomfortable for citizens (if you live there and have to drive around every day, you might feel angry). There is a problem with crossing railway and when the railway bridge was closed, there were jams at the other possible crossing places. I don't even understand whey there were such delays with trams. After removing half of the rails, tram movement was chaotic.
And finally a word about ideas. I have a guess that these designers haven't been there and have done everything on the maps only.

Example:

[IMG]http://i62.************/xg07bc.jpg[/IMG]
In the old situation you had a possibility to drive straight or to turn left to cross the bridge. That junction wasn't the best one but at least drivers on the right lane had possibility to drive without any unnecessary stops. Now there is a tiny roundabout and only ONE lane. Everyone has to stop in a lane to wait... it doesn't matter if you drive straight or left, you wait anyway.

The conclusion - there are certain improvements but there are some dumb solutions as well...

Many other Latvian towns have done a lot in street infrastructure improvement. Some more, some less. For example Riga has done some projects (even some large ones) but the average quality of street pavement is poor.

Tags
highways, motorways