daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 17th, 2014, 03:59 PM   #1801
PovilD
Naudotojas

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROBIN View Post

When I entered the town of Daugvapils ...... yes, I had to pick my jaw from the floor Not a single Lithuanian town I've been to in the past 14 months (since I live in Vilnius) looks so well.
Did you been to Lithuanian resort towns (like Druskininkai, Neringa, etc.)?
PovilD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 17th, 2014, 04:44 PM   #1802
makaveli6
(:

Likes (Received): 1322

A part of A13 Daugavpils-Medumi (144,70-156,40km) will be reconstructed in 2015-2017.
I was in Daugavpils this summer, it is alot better than before, but still a lot of needs to be done. You will be amazed when you visit Ventspils, Liepāja, Kuldīga, Jelgava or Valmiera.

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.
makaveli6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2014, 07:02 PM   #1803
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

Quote:
Originally Posted by PovilD View Post
Did you been to Lithuanian resort towns (like Druskininkai, Neringa, etc.)?
Well,, Povilai, just as I wrote - I was comparing to each Lithuanian city I've been to in the last 14 months, and those cities or major towns are: Vilnius, Utena, Zarasai, Kaunas, Alytus, Šalčininkai, Marijampolė, Varėna, Prienai, Trakai or Lazdijai So the answer is no - within this period I haven't been to the cities you quoted

By the way, surprisingly, LPG in Latvia costs the same without any additional discount as ... LPG in Lithuania with an additional discount

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2014, 08:47 PM   #1804
PovilD
Naudotojas

Well, i think is easier to maintain those Latvian cities, because there is a one big city and a bunch of small towns. We, in Lithuania, have 5 big cities (pop. 100.000<) with lack of funds for road maintenance. Maybe because of similar funding, caused by almost the same GDP per capita like Latvia?

Eldership and municipality centres and small county centres (Alytus, Marijampole, Telsiai) receive EU funds to maintain and renovate their main streets while the biggest cities with population 100.000< has bunch of big transit streets which hasn't seen any full repavement for 30 years!
Old September 17th, 2014, 09:41 PM   #1805
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Agreed. However, on the other hand, you cannot compare how many good quality roads (dual or wide single carriageways) the USSR let in Lithuania and in Latvia ...

A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
Old September 17th, 2014, 10:31 PM   #1806
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2305

A8/E77 reconstruction from Vircava turn to Jelgava town (map). Pictures taken in direction to Jelgava.

17/09/2014

1. Right before bridge over Platone river.

2. Platone bridge widening.

3. Bridge railing is getting it's classy look as the previous one had.

4. After the bridge road is completed at this segment.

5. Finally a decent road to Šiauliai supermarkets. Same spot in April.

6. Border with ongoing road works further to Jelgava.

7. Actually it's pretty smooth with this milled asphalt surface compared to what this was in the past.

8. Culvert construction ahead. Traffic light features a timer for impatient drivers.

9. Temporary bypass road U/C.

10. Next culvert construction ahead.

12. Work zone ends at this crossing.

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
RipleyLV está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2014, 11:00 PM   #1807
Jevpls

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Hello
This weekend, as I wrote on the Lithuanian thread, I've been to Daugavpils However, I wasn't shocked by the roadsign "Speed cameras in use" as 2 Latvian friends of mine told me to avoid speeding because of that in their country.

I forgot to write about speed cameras. If I'm right then there are about 5 (five!!!) speed cameras in our country. Not that much
Once there was bigger count of them but now all of them have been gone but the signs are left.
Jevpls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2014, 12:54 AM   #1808
hariksss

Likes (Received): 28

Kad bus rekonstrukcija P96 Dorupe-Auce???
hariksss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2014, 11:26 AM   #1809
rauno

Likes (Received): 367

My question does not consider only Latvian roads, but while driving in Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania I have thougth about different speed limit signs we have:

When I first started driving on my own in northern Latvia I did not understand this Latvian built-up area sign and I did not slow down. Later I understood that I am in built up area of course. Does anyone know why Latvia and Lithuania have different built up area signs than other countries around us?
Old September 18th, 2014, 11:57 AM   #1810
BriedisUnIzlietne

Likes (Received): 2907

I read that we (Latvia) will switch to the Estonian type of signs in the coming years. I believe it was something like 2018, but other forumers will correct me on that.

The current signs really might be confusing. Imagine if you're a Brit and see a simple white sign with black letters "OGRE" or "MORE" - what would you think of it?

And on the borders "built-up area" speed limits are shown with the Estonian type of sign - so that's also confusing because the actual signs are different

GROBIN, mieramika liked this post

Last edited by BriedisUnIzlietne; September 18th, 2014 at 12:06 PM.
BriedisUnIzlietne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2014, 05:44 PM   #1811
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by rauno View Post
When I first started driving on my own in northern Latvia I did not understand this Latvian built-up area sign and I did not slow down. Later I understood that I am in built up area of course. Does anyone know why Latvia and Lithuania have different built up area signs than other countries around us?
There are actually many countries that don't use the "town silhoutte" signs for built up areas, only names written on black on white (or in the case of Germany, yellow). Germany, Austria, Czech republic, Slovakia and Hungary to name a few "around here", if understood in a wider sense. It's Estonia, Finland and Poland that are exceptions.
Old September 18th, 2014, 10:00 PM   #1812
Jevpls

Likes (Received): 6

I've also heard that there will be some changes in traffic signs. By the way, I know one road in Latvia where you can see not only the name of the town but the "Estonian style" sign as well. It's the road P4 (Rīga - ĒRgļi). At least 2 towns had such signs (maybe TAurupe and Ķeipene). Google streetview doesn't help a lot because there have been road works and their information is a bit outdated.
Jevpls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2014, 10:06 PM   #1813
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Quote:
My question does not consider only Latvian roads, but while driving in Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania I have thougth about different speed limit signs we have:
If we're not talking about the built-up areas sign, but about the speed-limit sign themselves, I noticed last weekend that unlike Lithuania & Belarus, Latvia doesn't use the USSR-style roadsign, but a German-style one.
Germany:

Latvia:

Lithuania/Belarus/Ukraine ...

Quote:
This happened to me the 2nd time I came to Lithuania in 2003, when entering to Lazdijai from Poland At the time I was living in France, but I was for a 3-month practice period in Warsaw, and I understood too lately that the "LAZDIJAI" sign meant also "built-up area", like in France. It was around 1 AM LT-time & no car was driving there had to pay a fine for 74km/h instead of 60 & I was furious because in France or in Poland, at that time, no one would even bother you for such a small speeding
Now, 11 years later, at the very same place, there's an absurd 40km/h speed limit & ... the cops still love that place On the fine, instead of "Prancūzija" they wrote "Suomija" - probably because I told them to hurry up because I'm driving to Finland But when I noticed it, it was too late, because I had paid the fine & I was between Rīga & Saulkrasti

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
There are actually many countries that don't use the "town silhoutte" signs for built up areas, only names written on black on white (or in the case of Germany, yellow). Germany, Austria, Czech republic, Slovakia and Hungary to name a few "around here", if understood in a wider sense. It's Estonia, Finland and Poland that are exceptions.
In the case of Poland, it's not so long ago they switched to the current kind of signs. I believe it started around 1998 or something.
Old built-up area sign in Poland

Current administrative limits + built-up area signs in the same country

Entering another district within a city

About Finland, to be honest, I don't remember how it was last time when I went there. But in the case of Estonia must have started around 5 years ago because when I was there for the last time, in 2003, they still had the Soviet-style built-up areas signs. I think it's good to switch to the Polish-style as it determines very clearly the limits of the built-up area and the administrative limits of a city/town.
Here, in Lithuania, I saw such an Estonian-style only when entering to Vilnius. If I'm not mistaken, I also saw such signs in Belgium around 2-3 years ago.

Last edited by GROBIN; September 18th, 2014 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Image too big
Old September 18th, 2014, 10:23 PM   #1814
PovilD
Naudotojas

We had implied Swedish-style sign, determinating limits of built-up areas in 2012 in Lithuania, and I spotted that it is used in A19 (new constructed Vilnius southern dual-carriageway bypass), where Vilnius district municipality starts/ends.
Old September 18th, 2014, 10:48 PM   #1815
makaveli6
(:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariksss View Post
Kad bus rekonstrukcija P96 Dorupe-Auce???
On P96 (P103-Penkule) surface treatment works are ongoing.
There is no reconstruction planned, only repaving in the coming years.
P96 (Glūda-Krimūnas) and P96 (P103-Auce) are the two projects. Unfortunetly I have no exact dates, both will be finished by 2020 for sure.

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.
Old September 18th, 2014, 10:50 PM   #1816
makaveli6
(:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriedisUnIzlietne View Post

I read that we (Latvia) will switch to the Estonian type of signs in the coming years. I believe it was something like 2018, but other forumers will correct me on that.
These signs will be officialy introduced in 2015. I remember drving first time in Poland, for the first few hours (it was night) I couldn't understand why everyone was "speeding" when entering a city, only a few hours later I realised how these signs work.

Poland.
Old September 19th, 2014, 12:52 PM   #1817
rauno

Likes (Received): 367

Quote:
But in the case of Estonia must have started around 5 years ago because when I was there for the last time, in 2003, they still had the Soviet-style built-up areas signs.
No, our signs were legally changed in 1992 and replaced on the roads by 1993. Maybe you mean these kind of blue signs? They mark the village in this case and it's just for information with no speed limit.

Last edited by rauno; September 19th, 2014 at 03:53 PM.
rauno no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2014, 11:13 PM   #1818
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Quote:
No, our signs were legally changed in 1992 and replaced on the roads by 1993. Maybe you mean these kind of blue signs? They mark the village in this case and it's just for information with no speed limit.

I saw such signs here in Lithuania too ! I believe they also exist in Latvia.

Anyway, back on topic, is there any kind of lobbying for the Via Baltica in Latvia?

Old September 20th, 2014, 07:58 AM   #1819
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
is there any kind of lobbying for the Via Baltica in Latvia?
Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, and Finland, to varying degrees, all lobby in the EU for funding for the Via Baltica and all of them generally support any funding for any part of it.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2014, 03:57 PM   #1820
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, and Finland, to varying degrees, all lobby in the EU for funding for the Via Baltica and all of them generally support any funding for any part of it.
Maybe, but I believe they lack coordination. If Latvians, Lithuanians, Estonians blocked some cities on the Via Baltica as sometimes Poles do in Łomża (and in the past Augustów or Suwałki), maybe the EU would react faster? Or maybe I'm talking like a typical French guy, "la grève" !

Tags
highways, motorways