daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 13th, 2014, 09:06 PM   #1841
BriedisUnIzlietne

Likes (Received): 2907

110 is the max on express roads but we don't actually have any express roads. And for them it would also be 90 in winter
BriedisUnIzlietne no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2014, 07:38 PM   #1842
makaveli6
(:

Likes (Received): 1322

A3/E264 segment Plācis-Knīderi repaving.

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.

SRC_100, Luki_SL liked this post
makaveli6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2014, 06:35 PM   #1843
BriedisUnIzlietne

In the Latgale there are now bilingual street name signs!
More precisely - in the Kārsava region. The Latgalian language or dialect (it's still disputed) is used as primary language and Latvian only as secondary on these signs.

From top: Sun street and Green street
Picture by @jureits of Twitter

GROBIN, RipleyLV, makaveli6 liked this post
Old October 26th, 2014, 09:40 PM   #1844
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriedisUnIzlietne View Post
In the Latgale there are now bilingual street name signs!
More precisely - in the Kārsava region. The Latgalian language or dialect (it's still disputed) is used as primary language and Latvian only as secondary on these signs.

From top: Sun street and Green street
Picture by @jureits of Twitter
Very nice! Although I believe it would've been more logical to see Latvian - which is THE official language in the country - as a first language and Latgalian in second (like in Daugavpils, where the streets are signed first in Latvian and second in Russian).
Latvian is entering to the club of European nations that are proud of their minorities. An example to follow for nations in the EU who haven't yet done it!

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2014, 10:10 PM   #1845
BriedisUnIzlietne

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROBIN View Post
Very nice! Although I believe it would've been more logical to see Latvian - which is THE official language in the country - as a first language and Latgalian in second (like in Daugavpils, where the streets are signed first in Latvian and second in Russian).
Latvian is entering to the club of European nations that are proud of their minorities. An example to follow for nations in the EU who haven't yet done it!
By our law the written Latgallian language is considered a historical variation (or subspecies) of the Latvian language and as such it probably can be used as a primary one. Unlike Libyan (the Baltic Libyan, not the African one) or Russian which are a different language entirely.

But yes, many are proud of the Latgallian language - they even have their own Wikipedia and the recent theater show Latgola.lv was the most popular show for 4 seasons. They even made a sequel

GROBIN, Rombi liked this post
Old October 27th, 2014, 09:31 PM   #1846
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

Baltic Libyan? Haven't found anything like that on uncle Google ... Are you talking about Livonian?
I would really like to see bilingual roadsigns in - for instance - Lithuanian / Samogitian (Žemaitėška) or Lithuanian / Polish here.

Are you going to use these languages also on destination & built-up areas start/end roadsigns?

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2014, 09:52 PM   #1847
BriedisUnIzlietne

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROBIN View Post
Baltic Libyan? Haven't found anything like that on uncle Google ... Are you talking about Livonian?
Oh.. yes In Latvian it's "lībieši" for both Libyans and Livonians so I didn't realize that in English it would be two different words.
Quote:
I would really like to see bilingual roadsigns in - for instance - Lithuanian / Samogitian (Žemaitėška) or Lithuanian / Polish here.

Are you going to use these languages also on destination & built-up areas start/end roadsigns?
I don't think so - this project includes only street name signs in the Kārsava municipality. Although I would like to see it on the larger destination signs and such, it would probably cause negative feedback from Latgale's large population of Russians who wouldn't get their own signs because of the language law. But that law sometimes is too silly - for example, it forbids to put up information in English at the train stations of Jūrmala.

GROBIN, Kanadzie liked this post
Old November 1st, 2014, 12:03 AM   #1848
makaveli6
(:

Old A12 (Ludza-Zilupe) alignment, has been renamed to P136. V512/V544 route has been assigned with A12/E22.

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.

Eiropro liked this post
Old November 1st, 2014, 02:48 PM   #1849
rauno

Likes (Received): 367

As a reply to bilingual road signs it would be cool to use Livonian where it has been spoken historically, for example at the coastal areas of the Gulf of Riga (which in Estonian is Gulf of Livonia btw - Liivi laht) as a reminder that this languge has existed there for long and it's at the edge of disappearance today, which of course is immensely sad. Signs in Livonian would be awsome for us btw, because this language is basically Estonian, but spoken and written in a Latvian way (numbers, anthem)
Old November 1st, 2014, 03:08 PM   #1850
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19427

Modernized A9 in western Latvija.

Autoceļa A9 Rīga (Skulte) – Liepāja rekonstruētā posma 148,5. – 163,28. km atklāšana by LVceli, on Flickr

Autoceļa A9 Rīga (Skulte) – Liepāja rekonstruētā posma 148,5. – 163,28. km atklāšana by LVceli, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Saken007, Pulkvedis Pods liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2014, 03:14 PM   #1851
makaveli6
(:

A few pictures RipleyLV posted in Latvian road thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipleyLV View Post
Nice pictures of A8/E77 reconstruction from Jelgava to Lithuanian border: http://zz.diena.lv/vietejas-zinas/je...a-posms-187511

Half of the road is complete. The remaining part is scheduled to open in 2015.

Poland.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 08:09 PM   #1852
makaveli6
(:

State road funding in 2015

Funding for state roads in 2015 will be 357,443,000 EUR. Thats 70,050,000 EUR more than in 2014.

Poland.

Last edited by makaveli6; November 3rd, 2014 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Removed map
Old November 3rd, 2014, 08:22 PM   #1853
Eiropro
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3283

I think this map only shows works started in 2014 and to be continued in 2015. In reality more sections will be repaired solely in 2015 and in 2015/2016 building period.
Eiropro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2014, 07:04 PM   #1854
makaveli6
(:

P2 Mazā Jugla bridge reconstruction.

----

A7/A8/A10/E22 Salu bridge reconstruction.

Poland.
Old November 15th, 2014, 04:05 PM   #1855
makaveli6
(:

A5: Rīga HES 2,3-2,9km bridge expansion joints repair

Poland.
Old November 16th, 2014, 04:04 PM   #1856
hariksss

Likes (Received): 28

Nakamaja gada bus rekonstrukcija šoseja p97 Dobele-Jelgava
hariksss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2014, 04:17 PM   #1857
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

This is an English language forum.

GROBIN liked this post
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 05:14 PM   #1858
makaveli6
(:

Today the new bridge over Mazā Jugla on P2 was opened. Total cost of construction was EUR 911 939 and construction of the new bridge began on June 2014. The new bridge is 60 meters long. The old one (now demolished) was built in 1966. Photos of the opening below.

Poland.

Xmaster, GROBIN liked this post
Old November 30th, 2014, 04:07 PM   #1859
makaveli6
(:

A7/A8/A10/E22 Salu bridge reconstruction.

Poland.
Old December 10th, 2014, 08:32 PM   #1860
makaveli6
(:

Yesterday the first speed camera (again) was installed on Latvian roads. The first camera was installed on A10 Jūrmala bypass section. By the end of the year four more cameras will be installed. In 2015, 11 more Doppler type radar's will be installed.

----

Procurement for PPP project Ķekava bypass expressway will be started.

The goverment has given support for the project. It's planned to use EU funds. Ministry of Transport is planning on using 13,8 mil. EUR on purchasing necassary land. Ministry has already received 726 000 EUR for other works that are needed to be done before real construction work. It's planned that total cost of the project will be 159 666 240 EUR.

Poland.

Tags
highways, motorways