daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 30th, 2014, 12:51 PM   #1881
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2301

There is already a cheap alternative for roads with lower AADT using black bituminous technology on pavement.

It also is used on roads which have asphalt. Such pavement can last at average 5 to 10 years. 200 km of V roads have been paved this year for 6,5 mio EUR.
http://lvceli.lv/lat/par_lvc/pazinoj...itumena-segumu

makaveli6, SRC_100 liked this post
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2014, 03:06 PM   #1882
makaveli6
(:

Likes (Received): 1319

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriedisUnIzlietne View Post
What havoc? On roads this bad people already drive on the middle because it's comparably better. Remember the joke: In Britain people drive on the left, In Germany on the right side of the road while in Latvia on the best side of the road. And what laws should be changed? This would be a partial repaving like that one lane of Sigulda road which was repaved some 10 years ago.

While, yes, we could allocate more money, it still wouldn't be enough. We need 3,7 billion euros to reconstruct all the roads!

@jevpls Of course, this should be done only where it's safe - uphills, downhills, sharp curves, intersections should be fully repaved. But you wouldn't need to drive off the paved part in any case, because the old tarmac would be left. You would have to drive on the bumpy but paved part.
Havoc as jevpls described, it's only safe in straight lines. As for laws, it is illegal to drive partly on the oncoming lane.

Where did you get those figures? As far as I know we need 910 mln. EUR to get 75% of our roads in a good shape.

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.
makaveli6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2014, 04:02 PM   #1883
BriedisUnIzlietne

Likes (Received): 2902

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli6 View Post
Havoc as jevpls described, it's only safe in straight lines.
And in the post you quoted I said that on curves and other dangerous parts the road should be fully repaved

Quote:
As for laws, it is illegal to drive partly on the oncoming lane.
Oh, come on! Nobody cares about that as they already drive on the middle! But, if you want, we could repaint the road surface so that there is only one lane - the resurfaced one - and the sides are hard shoulders with the broken white line. Like Via Baltica, only with the one lane.

Quote:
Where did you get those figures? As far as I know we need 910 mln. EUR to get 75% of our roads in a good shape.
http://lvceli.lv/lat/biezak_uzdotie_jautajumi/ The third from the top

Last edited by BriedisUnIzlietne; December 30th, 2014 at 04:08 PM.
BriedisUnIzlietne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2014, 04:57 PM   #1884
makaveli6
(:

If we'd start bothering with every curve, we might as well just repave the whole road. I could see this happening on some rural V roads, but certenly not on P roads, even if many of them have AADT lower than 1000.

Also, I dont think we should just make our current paved P roads more narrow than they are. F.e. the P roads which have AADT lower than 500 and aren't paved, could be made in to something like this. Same goes for all V roads.

Quote:
http://lvceli.lv/lat/biezak_uzdotie_jautajumi/ The third from the top
That includes V roads, we need 3,7 billion EUR if we want all of our roads in very good condition. It isn't crucial for all V roads to be paved and to be in a very good shape. I mean, it's more important to deal with P roads now, which need only about 500 mln. EUR.

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.
Old December 30th, 2014, 05:22 PM   #1885
BriedisUnIzlietne

Quote:
If we'd start bothering with every curve, we might as well just repave the whole road.
Depends on the road. In many cases curves are rare. And, if you don't like to bother with the curves, we can always leave them as they are - we've been driving the same tarmac for decades so why would it suddenly become too dangerous if only part of the road had new tarmac or no new tarmac at all?

And why "No" to narrow roads? We must spend our money wisely, and building wide roads for low traffic isn't very wise.
Old December 30th, 2014, 06:04 PM   #1886
makaveli6
(:

P roads that have been paved in the recent years aren't wide (see: this). They all are the same.

For example, P111 has AADT of 700-800, so that means we should downgrade it? Certanly not, as it connects two major cities (Liepāja & Ventspils), traffic level would probably rise when repaved. Now let's look at P113 (Grobiņa-Bārta-Rucava), it has AADT of 240. It dosen't connect any major cities. Now I'm all for downgrading roads like these.

My point is, we should'nt downgrade roads linking major cities, even if they have low AADT + we shouldn't downgrade roads with AADT more than 500 (you suggested 1000). As mentioned earlier the traffic intensity tends to grow and ~750 cars on a one laned road would be too much.

I have experienced this on polish roads, and I don't want to see this happening here too, it's VERY dangerous.

Poland.
Old December 30th, 2014, 07:02 PM   #1887
BriedisUnIzlietne

The thing is though that they wouldn't be one lane roads. They would be the same two lane roads with a repaved middle on which you could drive if there are no cars in the opposite direction. In time all the sides would get repaved but, as I already mentioned, we don't have the resources to do it right now. But every village wants a smooth road.
Old December 31st, 2014, 03:33 AM   #1888
agent 007
BANNED

Likes (Received): 82

Gulbene District Council couple of years ago had a plan to repave only 1.5 lane of road to one of the villages. Back then some State officials didn't allow them to do so. Thats all I remember cause I was too young to care, but I guess we would need some changes in laws to make it happen.
agent 007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2014, 03:54 AM   #1889
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriedisUnIzlietne View Post

The thing is though that they wouldn't be one lane roads. They would be the same two lane roads with a repaved middle on which you could drive if there are no cars in the opposite direction. In time all the sides would get repaved but, as I already mentioned, we don't have the resources to do it right now. But every village wants a smooth road.
they used to make roads this way in 1920's
https://www.google.pl/search?q=sidewalk+highway

Anyway, if 1 M people live in Riga metropolitan area, it sounds like many big freeways are required in the urban area!

BriedisUnIzlietne liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2014, 11:30 AM   #1890
BriedisUnIzlietne

Yes, we need to complete the Eastern and Southern "highways" as well as build expressways in Ķekava and Ādaži directions. Oh, and the P80 connection into Rīga - that is also congested. The other directions IMO should be not only road upgrades to expressways but also railway upgrades to European 160 km/h for commuter expresses into Rīga city center which will not be a very car friendly place in the future.
Old January 4th, 2015, 07:06 PM   #1891
makaveli6
(:

A8: Poķi-LT border 60,0-76,1km (16,1km) reconstruction

Poland.
Old January 21st, 2015, 10:12 PM   #1892
makaveli6
(:

Black spot map of 2011-2013

Black spot map of 2011-2013 has been released, total number of black spots is down to 58 compared to 62 in period of 2009-2011. A "black spot" is a 1 kilometer long section of road on which 8+ accidents with 3+ fatalities have happened in period of three years. You can find the full size map here.

----

2014 AADT map

2014 AADT map's have been released, more detlaied map's of 2014 and other years can be found here and more detlaied Excel file with statistics for P and V roads can be found here. The avarage traffic intensity is up by 4% from 2013.

Poland.

GROBIN liked this post
Old January 23rd, 2015, 10:49 AM   #1893
Jevpls

Likes (Received): 6

I find that black spot thing useless. For example let's think about some cases of bad accidents this year. Some young people died in accidents because of drunk driver that was speeding. Such thing can happen anywhere and does that place count as a black spot because of 5 or 6 deaths?
Sometimes "human factor" can be crucial - driver can get asleep or drive off the road while reading sms.

I'm glad that at least we don't have that dumb black spot road signs that our neighbours from Lithuania have.
Jevpls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2015, 11:10 AM   #1894
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1823

Yes, I agree, that sign in Lithuania is totally useless, especially since they are everywhere.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2015, 03:01 PM   #1895
makaveli6
(:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevpls View Post
I find that black spot thing useless. For example let's think about some cases of bad accidents this year. Some young people died in accidents because of drunk driver that was speeding. Such thing can happen anywhere and does that place count as a black spot because of 5 or 6 deaths?
Sometimes "human factor" can be crucial - driver can get asleep or drive off the road while reading sms.

I'm glad that at least we don't have that dumb black spot road signs that our neighbours from Lithuania have.
We have the "Bīstami!" road sign, it's something similar to the Lithuanian one, but we don't have them on almost every intersection like Lithuania.

Poland.
Old January 24th, 2015, 11:51 AM   #1896
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2301

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
Yes, I agree, that sign in Lithuania is totally useless, especially since they are everywhere.
Most people, especially foreigners, don't know what does that sign mean.
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2015, 06:07 PM   #1897
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipleyLV View Post
Most people, especially foreigners, don't know what does that sign mean.
"Beware of very big cows" was my first guess on my first visit to Lithuania.

Well, that was more of a joke with my friends (also first time for each of them). But really, no one really knew.
Old January 26th, 2015, 08:26 AM   #1898
Jevpls

Likes (Received): 6

The meaning of that LT sign was obvious for me because we got that black spot system. After seeing the first sign I reduced speed a bit just in case. After the second (some minutes after the first one ) I looked around carefully - I thought that these signs should be installed in dangerous places only. And then I understood that they can be found anywhere...

Quote:
We have the "Bīstami!" road sign, it's something similar to the Lithuanian one, but we don't have them on almost every intersection like Lithuania.
Mostly these signs have a good reason to be seen there. Lithuanian black spots are seen in any ordinary intersection.
Jevpls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2015, 08:19 PM   #1899
AleksDriver

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
IAnother year has passed. I have gathered a list of what's going to happen on Latvian roads in 2015.

Latvia:
  • Reconstruction works on many A road sections including: A1, A2, A3, A5, A8, A9, A10, A11, A12 & A14 in total lenght of 316 kilometers.
  • Repaving works on A5, A6, A7, A8, A9, A10 & A11 in total lenght of 91 kilometer.
  • Reconstruction works on many P road sections including: P5, P22, P30, P32, P62, P73, P76, P87, P97, P104, P116, P120 & P121 in total lenght of 159 kilometers.
  • Repaving works on P roads in total lenght of 145 kilometers.
  • Repaving or resurfacing works on V roads in total lenght of 240 kilometers.
  • Reconstruction of 14 bridges
  • 10 traffic safetey projects to be completed in 2015 on A2, A4, A5, A10, P1, P4, P5, P97, Va5 & V35. 6,5km of new safetey barriers also will be installed
  • Construction of P80/E22 interchange with P32.

Riga:
  • Reconstruction of Salu bridge and connecting roads, including Mūkusala roundabout.
  • Possible construction of missing Eastern highway link between Southern highway and Brīvības gatve.
What about A13 from Daugavpils to Rezekne side, heard from the local papers that will be reconstruction on part of it. Also whats the plans on P73 do the LVceli want to reconstruct part around Valle village?Or any other parts of that road?
AleksDriver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2015, 08:57 PM   #1900
makaveli6
(:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksDriver View Post
What about A13 from Daugavpils to Rezekne side, heard from the local papers that will be reconstruction on part of it. Also whats the plans on P73 do the LVceli want to reconstruct part around Valle village?Or any other parts of that road?
Check out my signature, there you cand find list of all U/C, soon to be started and proposed projects on Latvian state roads.

The soon to be started projects on A13:

Quote:
A13: Rēzekne 53,2-53,4km (0,2km), Cost: 219 000 EUR
A13: Šoģi-Vecstropi 113,1-134,7km (21,6km), Cost: 12 755 717 EUR, Deadline: 11th November 2015
A13: Kalīši-Medumi 156,4-163,1km (6,7km), Cost: 7 968 000 EUR
A13: Laucesa bridge reconstruction. 163,4km, Cost: 820 154 EUR, Deadline: 26th June 2015
And proposed ones:

Quote:
A13: 0,6-2,9km
A13: 144,7-156,4km

----

Also three soon to be started projects on P73

Quote:
P73: Salas-Penderi 7,3-20,9km (13,6km), Cost: 9 853 000 EUR
P73: Krasti-Ērberģe 29,2-40,3km (11,1km), Cost: 4 222 000 EUR
P73: Aizupieši-Rite 72,2-75,0 (2,8km), Cost: 70 064 EUR
And another on proposed:
Quote:
P73: 57,7-65,1km

Poland.

Tags
highways, motorways