daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 3rd, 2015, 09:04 PM   #1921
REwatch

Likes (Received): 471

E67 Via Baltica upgrade

About 25 km long stretch of international road Via Baltica (E67) on Latvian side from Svetciems to Estonian border getīs reconstruction.

Pics from 29.06.

It begins in Svetciems

Goes through Salacgriva:

10 km more until Latvian/Estonian border crossing:

7km more until Latvian/Estonian border crossing:

Almost there

Goodbye Latvia, welcome to Estonia

Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2015, 10:33 PM   #1922
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by REwatch View Post
About 25 km long stretch of international road Via Baltica (E67) on Latvian side from Svetciems to Estonian border getīs reconstruction.
Will the reconstructed road be wider or have any other safety improvements?
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2015, 11:12 PM   #1923
REwatch

Likes (Received): 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
Main safety improvement comes from the reconstruction work itself. I visited Riga lastly in December and the road back then was very very poor on Latvian side of Via Baltica. The quality difference compared to Estonian side of the road was very stark. The quality went down significantly immediately after crossing Estonian border to Latvian side.

I canīt comment that much on road widening issue. Latvian roads in general are usually wider compared to Estonian roads. Latvian drivers have the practice of pulling on the side of the road when someone wants to bypass and go faster. Therefore roads are broader. But Estonia does not have such practice. Therefore Estonian roads are a bit narrower. Estonia plans to launch 2+1 demo tracks soon. Some renders here. Latvian roads do not have interim barrier, but Estonian 2+1 roads would have a middle of the road barrier.

As far as I was able to observe, then yes, the road was a bit widened in sections where upgrade was almost complete. Canīt comment on other safety measures, because the upgrade was in very early stages. Maybe itīs noteworthy to point out that they do not replace only top-most layers of the asphalt. Itīs not that easy to spot on the photos, but there were sections where this part of the "road" level which is closed for now is almost 100 cm below the surface level of that side of the road which was open. This means that they will completely change the embankment below asphalt layers.

mcarling liked this post
REwatch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2015, 11:19 PM   #1924
makaveli6
(:

Likes (Received): 1319

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
No, plain reconstruction. After this the whole E67 route in Latvia will be in very good/good condition. Finally.

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.
makaveli6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 03:32 PM   #1925
Jevpls

Likes (Received): 6

This section of A1 (E67) is wide enough and additional widening would be just a waste of money.
Probably minor intersections will be improved if it can be considered a safety improvement. Actually better pavement not always mean a safer road. I've seen a research that says that smooth pavement encourages drivers to drive faster and therefore accidents happen more often. But that's a philosophical thing
Jevpls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2015, 05:13 PM   #1926
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2301

P22 (Kārķi-Naukšēni) after reconstruction in Northern part of the country.

New signage standart for populated places.

More pictures: http://www.db.lv/ipasums/buve/foto-c...21205427859258
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 01:40 PM   #1927
makaveli6
(:

Periodic renewal of road surface on P99. (map)

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.

pai nosso liked this post
Old July 16th, 2015, 04:23 PM   #1928
makaveli6
(:

A5/E67 bridge deformation joints and pavement repair (map)

Poland.

Shenkey, Xmaster, pai nosso liked this post
Old July 23rd, 2015, 05:26 PM   #1929
makaveli6
(:

Environmental impact assessment for A12 Rēzekne-Ludza new route has been completed, you can read it here in Latvian.

Poland.
Old July 25th, 2015, 05:08 PM   #1930
makaveli6
(:

A9 reconstruction (map) The biggest U/C project currently in Latvia, covering more than 50 kilometers of A9.

1. Construction of a temporary bridge over Lielupe river

Poland.

Rebasepoiss, PovilD, pai nosso liked this post
Old July 26th, 2015, 01:46 AM   #1931
PovilD
Naudotojas

Likes (Received): 71

Nice to see, that Latvian roads gets even Bad reputation of Latvian roads will be history
PovilD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2015, 09:36 AM   #1932
Jevpls

Quote:
Originally Posted by PovilD View Post
Nice to see, that Latvian roads gets even Bad reputation of Latvian roads will be history
It's not that good. The biggest part of work done in recent years have been co-funded by EU. In the next period (2021-....) there will no money for main road reconstruction the way it was used before. Who knows what could happen with regional road money. Maybe there won't be any.
I'm not speking about local roads...

If there is no state guaranteed money for road maintenance then don't expect much improvement.
Old July 27th, 2015, 09:17 PM   #1933
PovilD
Naudotojas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevpls View Post
It's not that good. The biggest part of work done in recent years have been co-funded by EU. In the next period (2021-....) there will no money for main road reconstruction the way it was used before. Who knows what could happen with regional road money. Maybe there won't be any.
I'm not speking about local roads...

If there is no state guaranteed money for road maintenance then don't expect much improvement.
Atleast A-roads will be good Even roads like Liepaja-Klaipėda

Personally I don't expect investments in the most remote places while some of the most important roads are in the bad shape I'm happy that Lithuanians will not blame such roads like A8, A11, etc. Latvian rural localities are more remote than Lithuanian ones, so it's understandable why there are less investments in general.
Old July 28th, 2015, 02:27 AM   #1934
makaveli6
(:

Roads are getting in shape faster then ever. State budget is also getting bigger year by year. Alot needs to be done on A roads, but on avarege I'd say that the network is already on medium level. By 2020 the whole A network should be mostly in good condition and the expressway projects are also slowly going ahead. By 2025 we should finally see around ~100km of expressways already.

Poland.
Old July 28th, 2015, 09:38 AM   #1935
Jevpls

Yeah, main roads in general are rather good. Can't say the same about regional roads... Simply drive off the main road and you'll see significantly worse quality but I hope that they might be better after some time
Old July 28th, 2015, 02:34 PM   #1936
PovilD
Naudotojas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevpls View Post
Yeah, main roads in general are rather good. Can't say the same about regional roads... Simply drive off the main road and you'll see significantly worse quality but I hope that they might be better after some time
When the main roads will be OK, there will be more money left for regional roads

Btw, streets in my hometown - Kaunas are also comparable with Latvian rural roads. Kaunas was blamed for potholes in main streets for years (and other streets were even worse), now situation is also rapidly improving more than ever

Last edited by PovilD; July 28th, 2015 at 02:41 PM.
Old July 28th, 2015, 08:14 PM   #1937
Jevpls

Quote:
Originally Posted by PovilD View Post
Btw, streets in my hometown - Kaunas are also comparable with Latvian rural roads. Kaunas was blamed for potholes in main streets for years (and other streets were even worse), now situation is also rapidly improving more than ever
Well, Riga is not good at all. At least I feel uncomfortable when driving into Riga from any road - there are many bad spots there. The overall smoothness of pavement isn't that bad but the problem is with all those rail crossings, sewer covers and places repaired previously. There is always difference between levels and driving in them makes me feel really bad.
Also I don't like cobblestone streets. It might be OK for tram traffic or somewhere in small streets but if Eksporta street (street that is often used by trucks driving to the port) is with such pavement - somehow I don't understand that. It's really uncomfortable and it creates a lot of noise. Yeah, people talk about historical things but it's enough with Old Riga and small streets. We don't live with past and at least this street should be repaved.
Old July 28th, 2015, 10:03 PM   #1938
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1823

It seems to me that city streets are crap in all three Baltic States. Streets in Tallinn are horrendous compared to main highways. Other towns aren't much better.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2015, 10:20 PM   #1939
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

This is a problem all over the world. Cities maintain a large number of heavily trafficked streets, but don't have the same tax revenue as the national government does to fund sufficient road maintenance. Often city municipalities only get grants from the government for capital projects instead of periodical maintenance.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Rebasepoiss liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2015, 09:42 AM   #1940
Jevpls

Probably it's true. Sometimes if you drive through a town, you see the difference between the main street there and the road before/after the town - it's much better. In such case you can definetely say that the street is owned by town.

Tags
highways, motorways