daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 22nd, 2009, 04:06 AM   #221
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Wow, illuminated all the way. Are there any signs for the center of Europe along it?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2009, 04:22 AM   #222
Alle

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmaster View Post
^ Alle: not Latvian it's Lithuanian roads topic And this stretch can't be marked in maps, because it was finished last week, so we have to wait for update
I am well aware of at least Vilnius and Kaunas being in Lithuania, not to mention maps and thread title... I am very sorry for my embarassing mistake.

I was looking at the map posted in this thread by you

But I should have considered that only a short stretch is marked.

What do you think it will be categorized as?

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]
Alle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 08:49 AM   #223
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Likes (Received): 329

Verso: Sign to a center of Europe is on A14 road, but something like ~10 km before reconstructed section. Maybe I will make a pic of sign if I will remember to do that while driving

Alle: I think it will categorized as just dual cariageway, because such road can't get expressway or motorway status
Xmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 02:29 PM   #224
Xmaster
Lithuanian

3 levels viaduct near Klaipėda construction photo update

[img]http://www.************/forumas/picture.php?albumid=182&pictureid=3182[/img]

[img]http://www.************/forumas/picture.php?albumid=182&pictureid=3184[/img]

[img]http://www.************/forumas/picture.php?albumid=182&pictureid=3185[/img]

Old July 22nd, 2009, 04:35 PM   #225
Lsr

Likes (Received): 41

So is it going to be 3 or 4 levels viaduct according to the 6 and 7th page of topic?

Looks nice
Lsr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 04:53 PM   #226
Triceratops
Labor Omnia Vincit

Likes (Received): 11

^ Indeed looks very impressive already! By when it is going to be finished?
Old July 22nd, 2009, 06:15 PM   #227
Xmaster
Lithuanian

I think it should be 3 levels, but I'm not 100% sure. First reconstuction stage should be finished on November 2010 (600 meters long bridge direction Kaunas-Klaipeda/Klaipeda-Kaunas). And this higher bended part should be finished during next stage, but I don't know exact dates of next construction stage
By the way: Average day traffic density on this junction (roundabout) is 25 000, so that's why such 3 levels junction is needed.
Old July 29th, 2009, 09:47 PM   #228
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2262

Great road and report, Xmaster! Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmaster View Post
These signs are huuuuge. Could fit on motorway
http://www.pauliusd.com/miestai/A14/...1/P7210751.jpg
These huge signs are used on A1 motorway between Kaunas and Klaipėda. I drove from Kaunas to Klaipėda and to Liepāja yesterday, sad, I didn't make any pics, because my camera wasn't with me.
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 05:15 AM   #229
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Ok, time for some serious road-phototour of Lithuanian roads . Over 2000km of road and over 200 photos to be shown here from my last trip home.

Starting with A2/E272 Vilnius-Panevezys which is one of the 2 roads in Lithuania that have a motorway ("automagistrale") status and default speed limit of 130km/h. The road is 136km long and was fully completed in 1998 (although most of it was completed in the 80's)
image hosted on flickr

Leaving Vilnius. There are a few unnecessary "70" km/h signs which are often "accompanied" by road police patrols measuring the speed
image hosted on flickr

Going North. It would take about 3 hours to reach Riga
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Road number signs
image hosted on flickr

Quality of the esphalt varies in various distances. Although they do work on improvements including reconstructions of viaducts and bridges
image hosted on flickr

A bunch of fresh Toyota Corollas underway to a showroom
image hosted on flickr

About 40km North of Vilnius
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Traffic usually isn't too high but sometimes some little "congestion" can be seen as in this case
image hosted on flickr

One of the most visually appealing parts of the road about 70km North of Vilnius near the town of Ukmerge
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Bridge over Sventoji river at about 74km North of Vilnius near Ukmerge
image hosted on flickr

Although the speed limit is 130km/h it is perfectly safe to do 140km/h or even 160+ km/h if you have a suitable car (i.e. anything as good or better than Audi A4 )
image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Pansori; July 30th, 2009 at 06:11 AM.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 05:17 AM   #230
Pansori
planquadrat

103km North of Vilnius
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

110km/h speed limits are used near bigger junctions
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

End of motorway and a direction sign at the intersection with E67 Via Baltica showing directions to Riga, Siauliai, Kaunas and Panevezys
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The dual carriageway ends here and we'll carry on on a regular road which is changed to E67 also known as Via Baltica and would bring us to Riga is advancing to the North
image hosted on flickr

Fellow road cops being bored and looking for troubled drivers
image hosted on flickr

Bypass of Panevezys (E67)
image hosted on flickr

Trucks are an extremely common sight on this and all other main roads in Lithuania
image hosted on flickr
Old July 30th, 2009, 10:36 AM   #231
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19362

Great report! Good quality pics Looking forward to the rest
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 10:57 AM   #232
RipleyLV

Cool pictures Pansori!

I hate too see those pedestrian signs on your motorways, they simply spoil the motorway feeling.
Old July 31st, 2009, 01:43 AM   #233
Pansori
planquadrat

Time for some exotics now

In this set we'll drive from a village of Kurtuvenai in Northern Lithuania (near Siauliai) to a village of Lyduvenai (via Kelme). The whole route is as follows:

National Road 157 -> Main Road A12/E77 - > national road 157 -> regional road without a number (no asphalt )
image hosted on flickr

The purpose of this rather short trip was to see Lithuania's longest and tallest bridge. Nothing exciting but still a warm-up before advancing to the "epic" Lithuanian motorway route A1 Vilnius-Klaipeda.

So how provincial roads in Lithuania look like?

Starting point near Siauliai on national road 157. Road quality could be best described as just about average. Ride comfort is poor unless of course you drive a Lexus LS or Citroen C6 . This is caused by the rather uneven surface of the asphalt work. I'm just not sure if it was like this since the beginning or due to the physical deformation of the road during the years. This is a typical "bad" regional road of Lithuania. Many of those have been reconstructed which usualy includes complete renewal of the asphalt surface and widening.
image hosted on flickr

After just a few kilometers we join the A12/E77 Siauliai-Kaliningrad which is one of the major transit roads from/to Latvia and Kaliningrad Oblast of Russia via Siauliai. Quality of this road varies. A ~20km stretch near siauliai is actually a brand new expressway style dual-carriageway which is of perfect quality and could easily be upgraded to a motorway (although seemingly the transportation ministry didn't see a need for that). Further stretches vary and in this view we see a very average road quality which may look ok but makes the car wobble and shake at higher speeds (100+ km/h) which doesn't cause any danger to driving but is slightly annoying if driving for a long time and long distances.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Audi is by far the most popular premium/luxury car brand in Lithuania. One may get an impression that it's the national car because no matter if you are rich or poor, you have an Audi. Old Audi 80 remains one of the most popular models among those who can't afford anything reasonably new (very obvious in the countryside) while all kinds of new Audis are popular among those who can afford a new car. Being a die-hard Audi fan myself I don't mind that at all. Why drive anything else if you can drive Audi? .
image hosted on flickr

National road 157 in the town of Kelme.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

A regional road towards Lyduvenai which has no name or number... there still is a substantial number of unpaved roads like this one in the countryside. In the recent years, however, a tremendous job was done by paving several hundred kilometers of such roads (largely thanks to the EU funding of course). Overall I would say that in the last decade road quality in Lithuania improved dramanatically (not that it was really bad prior to that). Driving these days is much more of a pleasure than it was before.
image hosted on flickr

The destination - Lyduvenai Rail Bridge, the longest (only about 700m though) and tallest (~50m) bridge in Lithuania.
image hosted on flickr

Going back on [b]A12/E77 towards Siauliai near Kelme. Speed limit is the usual 90km/h although it is safe to do 110-120km/h if traffic is not too intense.
image hosted on flickr

These trucks are most probably going to Kaliningrad Oblast of Russia.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

We'll get to see more of A12/E77 later while for now a full report of the entire A1 Vilnius-Klaipeda is underway.

Last edited by Pansori; July 31st, 2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old July 31st, 2009, 01:55 AM   #234
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipleyLV View Post
Cool pictures Pansori!

I hate too see those pedestrian signs on your motorways, they simply spoil the motorway feeling.
Thanks.

I have no idea why they put those signs over there. It is illegal for anyone to walk/cycle on the motorway and I have never seen anyone crossing it on foot. There are cases of people cycling or walking on the emergency shoulder but that is a matter for the law enforcement institutions to take care of, not the road signs, methinks.
Old July 31st, 2009, 09:34 AM   #235
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Thanks for the report, Pansori. It's very interesting to read and the pictures are good. A question: are there a lot of accidents on these 2-laned regional roads?
Old July 31st, 2009, 10:40 AM   #236
bebe.2006
Ekspert

Likes (Received): 458

Thanks for the pictures and great description, Pansori.

Last edited by bebe.2006; July 31st, 2009 at 11:57 AM.
bebe.2006 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 11:01 AM   #237
vycanismajoris

Likes (Received): 134

Good job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Why drive anything else if you can drive Audi? .

BTW, are there any plans for introducing the vignette system in LT? How much is the annual road tax in the country, any idea? (I'm sorry if this was discussed somewhere in the previous pages)
vycanismajoris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 11:07 AM   #238
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Great report And it seems year 2013 is going to be another bunch of projects for Lithuania. Because Lithuanian road administration plans to start construction to convert Marijampolė - Kaunas road (E67, Via Baltica) to motorway in year 2013. It wouldn't be long (just ~35 km), but still glad, that converting Via Baltica road to motorway will start. Just we have wait quite much Also I checked public procurements of Lithuanian roads administration, so it seems, that reconstruction of northern bypass of Kaunas (A1 road) from 2+2, to 3+3 should start also in 2013. Long time to wait, but maybe economies will start to get better sooner, so then maybe we could start such construction works sooner.
Old July 31st, 2009, 11:27 AM   #239
Triceratops
Labor Omnia Vincit

Likes (Received): 11

Superb reptorts!! Nice to see such pretty roads in Lithuania! I'm glad that there is at least one country in Baltics that invests in motorway and other important road building!!
Old July 31st, 2009, 12:02 PM   #240
RipleyLV

Again, great work Pansori!

Ahh, the old Soviet barriers and pavement.

Tags
lithuania, roads