daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 31st, 2009, 04:12 PM   #241
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipleyLV View Post
Again, great work Pansori!

Ahh, the old Soviet barriers and pavement.
I wonder when did they stop using those barriers? To my best memory in late 80's they were already using metal barriers (i.e. same as they use these days). These should be quite old by now.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2009, 04:16 PM   #242
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
Thanks for the report, Pansori. It's very interesting to read and the pictures are good. A question: are there a lot of accidents on these 2-laned regional roads?
I don't have stats on those particular roads but a couple of years ago Lithuania used to have most accidents per 1000 of inhabitants (note, NOT per 1000 cars) in the EU. During the last couple of years it decreased by 20% or so. They started building mini-roundabouts in some dangerous intersections as well as take tougher view on serious offenders (in particular drunk drivers) so it seems that helped alot for now.
Old July 31st, 2009, 04:23 PM   #243
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceratops View Post
Superb reptorts!! Nice to see such pretty roads in Lithuania! I'm glad that there is at least one country in Baltics that invests in motorway and other important road building!!
Thanks!
I have to say that from my personal experience the quality of roads in Lithuania is now significantly better than it was, say, in 1998. The motorway sections are also better quality (in particular the A1 Vilnius-Klaipeda). It's moving slowly (perhaps too slowly) but it's moving and improving. One thing I would love to see happening in A1 and A2 is completely getting rid of those dangerous "u-turns".
Old July 31st, 2009, 04:30 PM   #244
Big Cat

Likes (Received): 4

Pansori, great job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmaster View Post
Lithuanian road administration plans to start construction to convert Marijampolė - Kaunas road (E67, Via Baltica) to motorway in year 2013. It wouldn't be long (just ~35 km), but still glad, that converting Via Baltica road to motorway will start.
What about Marijampole - Polish border?
Big Cat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 07:14 PM   #245
Pansori
planquadrat

Carrying it on.

Perhaps the best, fastest and most exciting road connecting two most exciting destinations in Lithuania - the capital city Vilnius and the port city of Klaipeda which are separated by more than 300km.

The mother of all roads in Lithuania: A1/E85 Vilnius-Klaipeda via the second largest city Kaunas.
image hosted on flickr

The road was fully completed in 1987 (the Vilnius-Kaunas stretch in 1970) and was the longest (or perhaps the only?) motorway in the USSR. It is not exactly clear why the Soviets would build a 300km long motorway in an occupied and not very "friendly" land (in addition to the A2 Vilnius-Paneveys which is 135km long) while there was hardly a single km of non-urban motorways in the rest of the vast USSR. Urban legends suggest that this was made in order to ease the movements of Soviet tanks in case of a possible invasion to Western Europe or for use as alternative runways for Soviet fighter/bomber planes. Whatever the reasons were, Lithuania got a great road which is absolutely vital to its current transportation system and economy of the whole country and is the central core of the entire road system of Lithuania connecting 3 largest cities and also serving as the main road transportation route to/from the seaport to the rest of the country and beyond (Belarus, Russia, Ukraine).

Sorry for the quality of the first pics. Light was coming from the front since it was evening and we were traveling Westwards.

Grigiskes, a suburb of Vilnius which is divided by the road. This is perhaps the worst and most dangerous stretch of the entire A1. The good news is that the reconstruction works are starting in the stretch as we speak and should be complete in 2010
image hosted on flickr

Preparations for the works. Reconstruction will include re-pavement of the asphalt, widening (i.e. adding emergency shoulders where missing), a new 2 level junction, non-level pedestrian crossing and other works.
image hosted on flickr

After leaving Vilnius. The road is excellent quality for most of the time although at the present it does not have motorway status due to some inefficiencies (Grigiskes being the primary example). Only the Kaunas-Klaipeda stretch (~200km) has a motorway status at the present. Reconstructions were underway for years and hopefully soon we'll be able to drive 130km/h from Vilnius to Kaunas without violating the traffic regulations. I have noticed they still need to improve some exits and bus stops in order to make it suitable for a formal upgrade to a motorway. The motorway status was stripped at some point in the 90's due to the shortcomings in quality and rapidly increasing number of private cars which made it too dangerous to drive at higher speeds. Car ownership in Lithuania was just over 280 cars per 1000 of inhabitants in 2000 while in 2008 it was 509 cars per 1000 people i.e. more than 1 car per 2 inhabitants. Such rapid growth had avery negative impact on road safety
image hosted on flickr
Old July 31st, 2009, 07:16 PM   #246
Pansori
planquadrat

Some kilometers away from Vilnius
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Legal speed limit is 100km/h for most of the time although if you're not afraid of the cops it's ok to drive much faster
image hosted on flickr

About 50km from Vilnius near Elektrenai. Large stretches of Vilnius-Kaunas has lighting. There were plans to lit-up the entire 100km range but I'm not sure if these plans are still up... to be honest I'm not sure if this is really necessary. I absolutely have no problem driving on it in the dark
image hosted on flickr

Going towards Kaunas, about 60km from Vilnius
image hosted on flickr
Old July 31st, 2009, 07:19 PM   #247
Pansori
planquadrat

Vilnius-Kaunas stretch of the A1 is the most intensive road in Lithuania with more than 15,000 cars daily
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Near Kaunas, about 90km from Vilnius
image hosted on flickr

Kaunas. In this case the road serves as a "bypass" of the city where it also intersects with E67 Via Baltica and for a few kms is called both E85 and E67. This is also one of the busiest stretches. At the present it is 2x2 as the rest of A1 but in 2013 reconstruction of the stretch around Kaunas and widening to 3x3 lanes will start. At the present an 80km/h speed limit is implemented around Kaunas (I don't think it is really necessary though... hardly anyone keeps it)
image hosted on flickr

Pedestrian crossing near Kaunas. The white sign with black font shows directions to the districts of Kaunas city
image hosted on flickr
Old July 31st, 2009, 07:20 PM   #248
Pansori
planquadrat

image hosted on flickr

The entire stretch around Kaunas is also lit up
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Still more than 200km to go.
image hosted on flickr

After Kaunas the A1 has a legal motorway status with a speed limit of 130km/h. It is also noticeably less busy than the Vilnius-Kaunas stretch. Daily number of cars is about 8-10 thousand.
image hosted on flickr
Old July 31st, 2009, 07:22 PM   #249
Pansori
planquadrat

Asphalt quality is good-excellent for most of the distance between Kaunas and Klaipeda... trucks are a very common sight and often move in formations of 3-4 or even more
image hosted on flickr

Although it is perfectly ok to drive at 140km/h but sometimes it is very tempting to hit the accelerator to the end. It is one of those places you can "test" how fast your car can go (of course if the road is reasonably empty which is not always the case, especially during warmer Summer weekends when residents of Vilnius and Kaunas drive to the beaches on the Baltic sea causing heavy traffic or even congestion in some instances
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Somewhere on the way to Klaipeda
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old July 31st, 2009, 07:24 PM   #250
Pansori
planquadrat

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Go West. Unfortunately later it got too dark to take photos of reasonable quality from a moving car. But there will be more from the A1 later
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Next: A13/E272 Klaipeda-Palanga
Old July 31st, 2009, 08:14 PM   #251
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing
Old August 1st, 2009, 02:00 AM   #252
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2262

Thanks again Pansori! I drove there 3 days ago. Pity you didn't post a picture of the new signs on motorways, I mean on the junction near Kryžkalnis with A12. Also, I want to mention that on A1 Kaunas-Klaipeda there are serious repavement and overpass renovation works ongoing.

Damn, another Corvette.
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2009, 04:10 AM   #253
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Thanks again Pansori! I drove there 3 days ago. Pity you didn't post a picture of the new signs on motorways, I mean on the junction near Kry×kalnis with A12. Also, I want to mention that on A1 Kaunas-Klaipeda there are serious repavement and overpass renovation works ongoing.

Damn, another Corvette.
What signs are you talking about? I drove on A12 from Kryzkalnis but didn't see any unusual signage.
Old August 1st, 2009, 04:40 AM   #254
Pansori
planquadrat

A13/E272 Palanga-Klaipeda

image hosted on flickr

The stretch between Klaipeda and Palanga is one of the most heavily used roads which connects Klaipeda with Palanga, Liepaja (Latvia), Siauliai and other cities in Northern Lithuania and Latvia. A stretch of the road has been 2x2 for a while but there was a need to make the whole stretch between Klaipeda and Palanga a 2x2 which is finally happening.

Halfways between Palanga and Klaipeda.
image hosted on flickr

Works include building at least one new viaduct
image hosted on flickr

It seems the new stretch will have hard shoulders as well.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old August 1st, 2009, 04:48 AM   #255
Pansori
planquadrat

image hosted on flickr

Not sure what this is. Could possibly be an underground crossing for wild animals a few of which got built on the A1 in the recent years
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Highrises of Klaipeda seen from the road
image hosted on flickr
Old August 1st, 2009, 04:49 AM   #256
Pansori
planquadrat

Suburban houses near the road
image hosted on flickr

Approaching Jakai Roundabout (Jaku ziedas) from the North, the main Eastern entrance to Klaipeda city.
image hosted on flickr

Some cranes are visible. Is something serious going on?
image hosted on flickr

...it sure is! Construction of a new flyover for the future multilevel junction is underway. Seems like 15-20m tall
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

For a very short time we jump on the A1 which leads to central part of Klaipeda from the Jakai Roundabout.
image hosted on flickr

just an indication of how the roundabout looks now and how it will look after the reconstruction

Now ((c) propeleris from ************)

And what is being built
Old August 1st, 2009, 10:26 AM   #257
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
What signs are you talking about? I drove on A12 from Kryzkalnis but didn't see any unusual signage.
I'm talking about these signs on A1, only they are green.
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2009, 03:43 PM   #258
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
I'm talking about these signs on A1, only they are green.
I didn't see them... perhaps just missed it. Looks very good and seems more easy to understand than the old ones. And do you have any info about those signs? Are they going to make it a new standard and implement everywhere? That would be fantastic.

Last edited by Pansori; August 1st, 2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old August 1st, 2009, 04:13 PM   #259
Triceratops
Labor Omnia Vincit

Likes (Received): 11

Great report, Pansori, pics are nice! Love this junction, it is going to be the best multilevel crossing in Baltics, I think!
Old August 1st, 2009, 04:32 PM   #260
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceratops View Post
Great report, Pansori, pics are nice! Love this junction, it is going to be the best multilevel crossing in Baltics, I think!
Yes, quite possibly. Although there is another junction U/C which, I think, will reach it's full shape before the Jakai Roundabout. It's this one for the Western bypass in Vilnius:

We're looking at 3 levels here as well

(C) dainiauskas @************

Tags
lithuania, roads