daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 20th, 2010, 06:11 PM   #421
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

France and several other countries (Portugal, Spain?) also have similar restrictions. I also don't think it's smart, you really learn how to drive after you get your license (driving experience), and speed restrictions are not helping with that.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2010, 06:59 PM   #422
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmaster View Post
There are restrictions for drivers with less than 2 years driving experience: 70 km/h on regular roads and 90 km/h on motorways.
Do you need a 70/90 km/h sticker on the back?
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 07:15 PM   #423
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
France and several other countries (Portugal, Spain?) also have similar restrictions. I also don't think it's smart, you really learn how to drive after you get your license (driving experience), and speed restrictions are not helping with that.
But do you know, do the beginner drivers have to use some kind of sign to indicate they're beginners? In Estonia we use this sign :
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 08:10 PM   #424
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Likes (Received): 329

We got these ones too 2 years ago we got signs 70 sticked on the back of car, but now we have maple leaf symbol on back of car
Xmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 08:12 PM   #425
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Quote:
We got these ones too 2 years ago we got signs 70 sticked on the back of car, but now we have maple leaf symbol on back of car
That's cool! I thought Estonia was the only one using them. We have been using this sign for years.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 11:37 AM   #426
Norsko
Urban Citizen

Likes (Received): 6

image hosted on flickr

I do not understand the layout of this sign; The left arrow do not make sence to me. How does this intersection really look like, is it grade separated? The colour green tells my that it is, but the left arrow confuses me badly (Unless it is a rather strange way of signposting a U turn intersection, but then again I am confused by the colour )
Old May 1st, 2010, 12:05 PM   #427
Xmaster
Lithuanian

It's not grade separated U-Turn. There 2 or 3 of them on A2 motorway near Panevėžys city. Traffic volumes there are quite low, but still strange to see such sign. Speed is limited there to 110 km/h for a stretch with U-Turn, but still such thing should not exist on motorway.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 12:28 AM   #428
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Quote:
It's not grade separated U-Turn. There 2 or 3 of them on A2 motorway near Panevėžys city. Traffic volumes there are quite low, but still strange to see such sign. Speed is limited there to 110 km/h for a stretch with U-Turn, but still such thing should not exist on motorway.
There still are a few on the A1 between Vilnius and Kaunas (albeit, it doesn't have the motorway status). Not sure about the stretch between Kaunas and Klaipeda. Are there any non grade-separated U turns there? I think this bad practice should be abolished. It was allright 30 years ago (when those roads were built) with less than 50 cars per 1000 population... but now?
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2010, 12:46 AM   #429
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
There still are a few on the A1 between Vilnius and Kaunas (albeit, it doesn't have the motorway status). Not sure about the stretch between Kaunas and Klaipeda. Are there any non grade-separated U turns there? I think this bad practice should be abolished. It was allright 30 years ago (when those roads were built) with less than 50 cars per 1000 population... but now?
But as far as the sign itself, it's OK. It tells drivers exactly what's going on.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2010, 11:04 AM   #430
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Yes, I think 3 U-Turns on Vilnius-Kaunas stretch. As far as I remember there are already no 1 level U-Turns on Kaunas-Klaipėda, because road administration removed them (if I'm not mistaken, but I don't remember any when I drove on March).
Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:17 AM   #431
AlexisMD

Likes (Received): 677

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
But do you know, do the beginner drivers have to use some kind of sign to indicate they're beginners? In Estonia we use this sign :
almost like these
AlexisMD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 04:47 PM   #432
fredis
Žalgiris Kaunas 4ever

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Yes, I think 3 U-Turns on Vilnius-Kaunas stretch. As far as I remember there are already no 1 level U-Turns on Kaunas-Klaipėda, because road administration removed them (if I'm not mistaken, but I don't remember any when I drove on March).
The only one is only few kilometers from Kaunas, to Giraitė...
fredis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 04:54 PM   #433
Pansori
planquadrat

I wonder if there are any plans to get rid of them completely on a1 and A2?
Old May 3rd, 2010, 06:29 PM   #434
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2262

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredis View Post
The only one is only few kilometers from Kaunas, to Giraitė...
You mean this one?

RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 02:44 AM   #435
Pansori
planquadrat

Time for some road reports from the land of Lithuania. Holidays well spent

I am preparing photo reports from a number of roads including A1, A2, A9, A11, A13, A15, A16 as well as some stretches of national roads 149 and 150

Starting with a stretch of the A9 (E272) from Šiauliai towards Panevėžys

A9 (E272)

Stretch from Šiauliai to about 52km towards Panevėžys

Map:
image hosted on flickr

Detailed map:
image hosted on flickr

A9 (part of E272 which connects Klaipėda and Vilnius via Šiauliai and Panevėžys) connects Šiauliai and Panevėžys which are 4th and 5th largest cities in Lithuania respectivelly. The road is also used by all traffic going from Panevėžys and further Eastern towns in Lithuania and Latvia to Palanga and Klaipėda seaport in the West which makes it a busy, stressful, dangerous and, above all, inadequate road packed with "70km/h" speed limits, sharp turns, villages, one level junctions and other oddities which make it one of the least pleasant drives in Lithuania.

Traffic intensity is about 10000 vehicles per day. Currently the stretch betwen Šiauliai and town of Radviliškis (about 15km) is being reconstructed to a 2+2 road without one level junctions.

Starting in Šiauliai
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old May 6th, 2010, 02:45 AM   #436
Pansori
planquadrat

Official city limit of Šiauliai followed by a small suburb town Aleksandrija
image hosted on flickr

After leaving Šiauliai. Normally this road is more busy but due to reconstruction works large part of the traffic goes via alternate route (national roads 149 and 150)
image hosted on flickr

Note the gravel roadsides. This was the practice maintained in the Soviet times and for some reason it's still maintained in the older (or even some newer) roads in Lithuania. I have no idea why this is happening because I have never seen anything like this elsewhere in Europe. It doesn't look practical at all and, above all, may be dangerous. And this is one of the busiest A roads in the country!
image hosted on flickr

Information sign in a distance which informs about the roadworks that are taking place in the stretch all the way to Radviliškis town
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old May 6th, 2010, 02:46 AM   #437
Pansori
planquadrat

The stretch that is currently under reconstruction
image hosted on flickr

Speed limit 50km/h
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old May 6th, 2010, 03:06 AM   #438
Pansori
planquadrat

The road will be converted to what in Lithuania is called "1st category road" which means a 2+2 road but a step below the motorway (in Lith. "AM Category road"). This is an odd classification because this means that the road will be a 2+2 and one category below a motorway but does not necessarily mean that it will be an expressway. Even though expressway is also classified under the "1st category". I guess such oddities are a comfortable excuse for the planners to avoid building under stricter standards which would later mean higher speed limit (110km/h) for drivers who will now (most probably) have to stick to the standard 90km/h as for any other non-urban road.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Approaching a railway bridge...
image hosted on flickr
Old May 6th, 2010, 03:08 AM   #439
Pansori
planquadrat

They will have to put 4 3.5m wide lanes+2 hard shoulders+median/fences under those two columns. Of course it would make sense to reconstruct the entire bridge but for some reason I have a feeling this is not going to happen. I guess they will cut the hard shoulders... that's cheaper than to change the bridge after all.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Approaching Radviliškis which is about 17km from Šiauliai
image hosted on flickr

End of roadworks
image hosted on flickr

The road in Radviliškis was reconstructed recently and is a 2+2 urban road all the way through the town (about 4,5km)
image hosted on flickr
Old May 6th, 2010, 03:09 AM   #440
Pansori
planquadrat

Unfortunately noone was interested in going that extra mile and removing all level pedestrian crossings and level junctions. Life would be so much easier with speeds of 70 or even 80km/h. There are no any short-term plans for a bypass road to avoid the town whatsoever so we'll have to deal with this: driving for 5km via some silly town at the speed of 50km/h with pedestrian crossings and traffic lights. Sometimes I want to see those "road planners" and kick them in the arse. This is not some village path but a busy A and E road for Christs sake!
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

End of 2+2
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Tags
lithuania, roads