daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 7th, 2010, 09:13 AM   #461
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
We'll go on E67 (Via Baltica) for a few kms and Panevėžys Bypass A17. Note, the numebrs on Google maps are wrong. Technically the bypass is NOT A10 or A2 but A17
I guess you have re-numbered Panevėžys bypass recently, you can clearly see the old overhead sign here, it still says A10, while this new shiny sign says A17. So where is A10 anyway?
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2010, 03:06 PM   #462
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipleyLV View Post
I guess you have re-numbered Panevėžys bypass recently, you can clearly see the old overhead sign here, it still says A10, while this new shiny sign says A17. So where is A10 anyway?
You're right. They're trying to confuse travelers.

A10 is the E67 North from Panevėžys bypass which turns to A7 in Latvia.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 05:07 PM   #463
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1818

Thanks for the pics, Pansori. I rode the A2 in August, 2009...by bus, unfortunately. Since the bus left Vilnius at 21.00, traffic on the A2 was really light, sometimes there were no cars in sight . You mentioned bad surface quality. Well, it surely doesn't look like it from the pictures and I can't remember a bumpy ride either so I guess it's not that bad.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 05:20 PM   #464
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Good to see those Lithuanian pics. I bet many people from western Europe have no idea how this country looks. Most of them will probably surprised that there are no old cars on the road

Lithuanian signage seems okay to me though. Yeah, overheads could be somewhat more aesthetic.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 06:10 PM   #465
delfin_pl
Expert

Likes (Received): 56

not bad roads at all but I would never sign them as motorways, barely expressways.
delfin_pl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 08:02 PM   #466
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
A10 is the E67 North from Panevėžys bypass which turns to A7 in Latvia.
Right.

Btw, about those "old" A10 signs on Panevėžys bypass, I was looking once again at the photos and I noticed that it's marked with these black dotted lines, here's a clear example, it means that by using A17 you can get to A10 or A9. So, to sum up, there's nothing confusing unless you know Lithuanian signs.
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 11:52 PM   #467
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by delfin_pl View Post
not bad roads at all but I would never sign them as motorways, barely expressways.
It's good that you don't
Old May 8th, 2010, 05:01 PM   #468
Triceratops
Labor Omnia Vincit

Likes (Received): 11

@delfin_pl, you must understand that these roads which are marked with motorway sign are officially European standard motorways. If you haven't seen anything similar in other parts of Europe that's probably due to you haven't been to ex-Soviet countries, so don't try to offend someone here! If you would look at trans-Canadian highway f.e., you'll see that it's almost the same-looking motorway as they have in Lithuania.
Old May 8th, 2010, 06:43 PM   #469
delfin_pl
Expert

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceratops View Post
@delfin_pl, you must understand that these roads which are marked with motorway sign are officially European standard motorways. If you haven't seen anything similar in other parts of Europe that's probably due to you haven't been to ex-Soviet countries, so don't try to offend someone here! If you would look at trans-Canadian highway f.e., you'll see that it's almost the same-looking motorway as they have in Lithuania.
did I offend anyone? I said that those roads are quite good, but I am just surprised that they are ranked as motorways because they don't look like.
delfin_pl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 07:31 PM   #470
Pansori
planquadrat

I think delfin just wanted to say that motorways in Poland are better and could not find a better indirect way to say it. Just some old superiority complexes which don't go easy

It is true, however that standards differ from place to place. Just look at American interstates or Canadian highways. Or even the older stretches of German autobahnen. Interestingly the Lithuanian A2 does not comply with the standards of new motorways in Lithuania either, however revoking the status is not a common practice and only happens in extreme cases of non-compliance.

The only problem with the A2 are those remaining u turns. Other than that it's got no issues with formal standards. For the time being it's not an issue because of very low traffic volumes. Similar roads in the Netherlands or other dense countried handle 10-15 times more traffic which means compliance with standards must be taken more seriously. Germany is a little exception though. I have driven on stretches with no hard shoulder, high gradients, very short entrance and exit lanes and sharp turns... yet the cars were going at speeds of 150km/h+. So it also depends on driving culture and drivers experience. Lithuanian A2 does a great job there allowing to go at speeds exceeding the legal limit yet be safe and adequate AND, very importantly, be free. Therefore I would suggest Mr. Delfin do some more research before making such useless remarks.
Old May 8th, 2010, 07:54 PM   #471
GrimFadango

Likes (Received): 335

It wasn't and useless remark. He didn't write that A2 is poor or bad. He wrote that this road is good, but it is not even an expressway (u-turns). Road general standards are UE specific.

A2 does great job great for Lithuania, because, as you said, traffic is low. It is a very nice looking, probably pleasant to drive road.

We have some very similiar freeways, like Gierkówka - DK1. From our experience, level crossings and other restrictions in a 2x2 road are very dangerous - when traffic is higher, many other vehicles are entering/exiting on almost every crossing, and drivers have to be ultra careful. Add some fast idiots and there you go - thats why it is hard to understand why would someone call such road a motorway.

Lithuania has very nice road system, with fits traffic needs
Old May 8th, 2010, 08:14 PM   #472
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimFadango View Post
It wasn't and useless remark. He didn't write that A2 is poor or bad. He wrote that this road is good, but it is not even an expressway (u-turns). Road general standards are UE specific.

A2 does great job great for Lithuania, because, as you said, traffic is low. It is a very nice looking, probably pleasant to drive road.

We have some very similiar freeways, like Gierkówka - DK1. From our experience, level crossings and other restrictions in a 2x2 road are very dangerous - when traffic is higher, many other vehicles are entering/exiting on almost every crossing, and drivers have to be ultra careful. Add some fast idiots and there you go - thats why it is hard to understand why would someone call such road a motorway.

Lithuania has very nice road system, with fits traffic needs
Did you read my previous post? I think you didn't

Btw, no fatalities or injuries have occurred on the U turns on the A2 which is why it's a good idea to know the situation before storming in with such silly remarks including ones about gierkowkas. Seems like some of us here can't miss a chance to stay silent on issues they hardly have clue about. Just a wrong thread I guess.

Oh and Lithuania has hardly got a nice system that fits its needs. It's just about ok and just about adequate.
Old May 9th, 2010, 01:23 PM   #473
bleetz
one.man.army

Likes (Received): 395

Lithuania is far, far ahead of most neighbours in km. of motorways per head. For this reason, traffic volumes in those motorways are very low and they don't have to meet the same standards. Its all about adequacy.
Old May 9th, 2010, 02:33 PM   #474
Triceratops
Labor Omnia Vincit

Likes (Received): 11

And that's one more reason why such motorways might have those meredians between the lanes due to not so dense population and that it hasn't any lack in territory for the public needs everywhere, as well no need to install crashbarriers between so they can save a lot money!
Old May 10th, 2010, 01:36 AM   #475
Pansori
planquadrat

As promised earlier, more of A9
A9 (E272)

... this time going from Vilnius (Panevėžys) towards Šiauliai via road 149 and 150 which is the alternative route by many travellers because it's less busy and now perhaps even has better quality pavement than the A9 which is a higher category road.

These days traffic on 149 and 150 has increased due to roadworks on A9 between Radviliškis and Šiauliai which means that the busy and slow A9 became even slower.

Map:
image hosted on flickr

Entering A9 from Panevėžys bypass. The road above is technically the E67 Via Baltica
image hosted on flickr

A9 near Panevėžys is probably slightly better than near Šiauliai
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old May 10th, 2010, 01:38 AM   #476
Pansori
planquadrat

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Roadside. A BAD example of choosing color for your house
image hosted on flickr
Old May 10th, 2010, 01:39 AM   #477
Pansori
planquadrat

The signs direct us via A9 (straight-left) which is a few km shorter but much slower and busy. Smart travelers would choose 149 to the right which is what I did
image hosted on flickr

Unusually heavy traffic
image hosted on flickr

Surface quality is ok. It was repaved or at least adjusted a few years ago and seems more or less fine despite the gravel roadsides. Then again, it's just a national road and we can't expect much more from it
image hosted on flickr

Cameras. they don't look like speed cameras to me. There also are a few villages with 50km/h on the way but not nearly as many as on A9
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old May 10th, 2010, 01:40 AM   #478
Pansori
planquadrat

Entering the forest. Surface is a little wavy but it's still fine to go 90-100km/h
image hosted on flickr

Approaching a roundabout where we'll be taking 150 to the left towards Šiauliai.
image hosted on flickr

The roundabout was built a few years ago as a part of the initiative to improve safety on roads. It was a dangerous junction with a bad record of fatalities and injuries in the past. Now it's certainly much safer
image hosted on flickr

Going on 150 towards Šiauliai. About 35km left
image hosted on flickr

Surface quality is similar to 149
image hosted on flickr
Old May 10th, 2010, 01:41 AM   #479
Pansori
planquadrat

Railway bridge and road 212 to Radviliškis and A9 (A9 is not indicated on the sign)
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

For a good 20km (i.e. all the way to Šiauliai) we'll be driving on the reconstructed stretch of 150. Surface quality, signage and safety features are much better than on the older stretch and also easily exceed found those on most older A roads in Lithuania. Just very smooth, nice and generaly excellent road. You can meet an occasional tractor or agricultural truck on the way though
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

This is all from A9. Next: A11 Šiauliai-Palanga
Old May 10th, 2010, 10:01 AM   #480
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Gravel shoulders aren't that bad, they improve safety while they don't encourage crazy passing like in Poland.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
lithuania, roads