daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 11th, 2010, 01:32 AM   #501
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Last edited by Pansori; May 12th, 2010 at 02:43 AM.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2010, 01:32 AM   #502
Pansori
planquadrat

Near Palanga

Roadside turbines

Destination

Last edited by Pansori; May 12th, 2010 at 02:46 AM.
Old May 11th, 2010, 03:10 AM   #503
Czas na Żywiec
Globetrekker

Likes (Received): 1046

image hosted on flickr

Excuse my ignorance but what does that 10-20-50 sign mean?

AR AT BE BG BR CA CH CZ DE DK EE ES FI FR HR HU IE IT LT LU LV NL PL RO RS SE SI SK TR UA UK US UY
Czas na Żywiec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 03:59 AM   #504
Pansori
planquadrat

This means this is a toll road but only applies to heavy trucks and buses which must buy a vignette to use the road. This applies to all A roads in Lithuania (A1-A18).
Old May 11th, 2010, 04:00 PM   #505
Pansori
planquadrat

Ok, I can confirm the exact number of speed cameras on Lithuanian roads.

There are 150 speed cameras and most of them look like this:

Old May 11th, 2010, 07:12 PM   #506
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2262

Very good road quality, not a single pothole on the surface - hat off.
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 01:35 AM   #507
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipleyLV View Post
Very good road quality, not a single pothole on the surface - hat off.
Regarding potholes I don't think this is a problem on Lithuanian main and national roads. I can't remember ever seeing any over the last 20 years
It's different in the cities though. I think by now most of them should be fixed but if you were to drive in Vilnius (and especially Kaunas) a couple of months ago you should have watched your suspension because some streets with older asphalt surface looked like after WW3. I don't know what's up with that but even the locals in Lithuania joke about it: "how do you know you have entered a city? There road bacomes very bad".
Old May 12th, 2010, 01:56 AM   #508
Pansori
planquadrat

Oops, seemingly the photos don't work anymore. Interestingly they still work elsewhere. I guess it's Flickr messing around with their hotlinking policies. I'll have to look for a new image hosting
Old May 12th, 2010, 03:21 AM   #509
Pansori
planquadrat

Seems that none of my photos are appearing anymore. I really want to hope this is just a temporary glitch but I believe this is Flickr putting a ban on high-intensity sites which unfortunatelly included SSC. I'm not going to re-instate the pictures with other hostings because it would take too much time. However I have a new reliable hosting and I'll continue with it. Sorry guys. I'm just feeling so upset, especially since Flickr Pro is a paid service and the only reason I pay for it is that I could hotlink my photos to SSC and other forums! I'd like to commit something nasty to those who did it.

Next:

A13 (E272)
Palanga - Klaipėda

Map:

A13 is one of the busiest roads in Lithuania which gets particularly busy during the hot summer season due to intense movements of those traveling to the seaside for holidays or weekend breaks from Vilnius and Kaunas.

Until a few years ago about half of A13 (near Palanga) was a 2+2 while the remainder was a very poor quality 1+1 road. Currently A13 is a 2+2 all the way from Palanga to Klaipėda Jakai Roundabout which is the main entrance to the city. It improvd the situation (including safety) dramatically.

Just after leaving Palanga. The old section of a 2+2 highway built some time before 1990

The road is more or less good quality with a maximum speed of 90km/h. Most drive at 100-110km/h, however police patrols are common so it's best to be very careful

Oil drill

Last edited by Pansori; May 12th, 2010 at 03:41 AM.
Old May 12th, 2010, 03:22 AM   #510
Pansori
planquadrat

The old section of A13 between Palanga and Klaipėda is rather curvy and has a number of U turns

New suburban houses near Klaipėda. The '50' sign is for a road detaching from A13

This is where the new section starts, about halfways between Palanga and Jakai Roundabout

Last edited by Pansori; May 12th, 2010 at 03:42 AM.
Old May 12th, 2010, 03:23 AM   #511
Pansori
planquadrat

The new section near Klaipėda was finished just a few months ago and in terms of standards easily fulfills Expressway or even Motorway requirements, but for some reason such status has not been given officially. This is really odd because the road is pretty much perfect in all aspects and could carry the blue sign even today yet it's not and the maximum legal speed is a mere 90km/h. This is the best non-urban road in Lithuania at the moment.

Old May 12th, 2010, 03:23 AM   #512
Pansori
planquadrat

Old May 12th, 2010, 03:24 AM   #513
Pansori
planquadrat

Klaipėda skyline seen from A13

Jakai Roundabout.

This is the largest and busiest roundabout in Lithuania connecting 6 roads! You can imagine how nasty it gets during the busy hours in summertime. A few kilometers-long traffic jams are certain from all directions.

Hence the reconstruction taking place. For those who are not familiar with the project here's a project plan. It will be the largest and sexiest multi-level junction in Lithuania

Old May 12th, 2010, 03:26 AM   #514
Pansori
planquadrat

Entering Klaipėda. Technically we're on A1

Some massive shopping units in the outskirts of Klaipėda

The last two photos are from the streets of Klaipėda

Old May 12th, 2010, 11:17 AM   #515
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Oops, seemingly the photos don't work anymore. Interestingly they still work elsewhere. I guess it's Flickr messing around with their hotlinking policies. I'll have to look for a new image hosting
You can upload only a limited amount of pictures to a free Flickr account. With a paid account (I have one), you have unlimited storage (I have 20,000 pics online, which is at least 4 GB).

Photobucket, on the other hand, is useless on Skyscrapercity because you'll end up using your monthly bandwidth in 3 or 4 days. Mark my words; your pics will be invisible in a few days.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 12:23 PM   #516
delfin_pl
Expert

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Ok, I can confirm the exact number of speed cameras on Lithuanian roads.

There are 150 speed cameras and most of them look like this:

lucky you, there are over 2000 of these cameras here (sic!)

http://www.antyradary.phi.pl/mapa_fotoradarow/
delfin_pl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 12:48 PM   #517
bleetz
one.man.army

Likes (Received): 395

The numbers are quite similar in per head terms.
Old May 13th, 2010, 01:17 AM   #518
Pansori
planquadrat

A1 (E85)
Vilnius - Kaunas

A1 Vilnius-Kaunas-Klaipėda is the backbone of Lithuania's road system with stretch between Vilnius and Kaunas being by far the busiest road in Lithuania with average number of cars at about 20 000 a day.

Now very quick facts and history.

- the 100 km-long A1 motorway ("autostrada") was opened in 1970 and at that time was the most modern (if not the only) motorway in the USSR.

- The stretch between Kaunas and Klaipėda which was over 200km long opened much later in 1987 and even today is generally in better condition and has better compliance to motorway standards.

- A1 between Vilnius and Kaunas lost its motorway status some time in the 90's because of non-compliance with contemporary motorway standards (a number of U turns, a few non grade-separated junctions, no hard-shoulders, some intersections without acceleration/slowing lanes etc.). Today after nearly 2 decades of "reconstructions" and "improvements" it's getting close to what could be called a "motorway" but perhaps it will take at least until 2015. Because of the busy nature of the road the standards must be implemented very strictly without compromises which can be found on A2 which only gets 1/4 of the traffic compared to A1.

- Typically the maximum speed limit is 100km/h and is the only non-motorway or non-expressway road in Lithuania which has such speed limit (normally the maximum speed limit is 90km/h)

- The 18km-long stretch between Rumšiškės and Žiežmariai (somewhere near Kaunas) has an expressway status with a maximum allowed speed of 110km/h.

Map:

The photos (going from Vilnius towards Kaunas):

The stretch at Vievis which to this day remains one of the most troublesome and an obstacle to increasing the maximum speed to at least 110km/h. The problem is that the road was built right through the middle of the town and therefore it was quite complicated to isolate it from the surrounding areas

Huge advertising boards near the road. They did not appear until as recently as 2002 or so... or at least I can't remember any before that time. I think this is not a good practice and there should be some kind of law disallowing advertising near major roads outside urban areas. It's a terrible ruin of landscape and just doesn't look good

Old May 13th, 2010, 01:18 AM   #519
Pansori
planquadrat

Not sure what's up with those signs. Looks like taken out from a cow's stomach

A1 between Vilnius and Kaunas is noticeably more curvy than between Kaunas and Klaipėda or A2 between Vilnius and Panevėžys

Start of expressway (110km/h)

Kaunas. The local folk humor says that Kaunas is just a gas station between Vilnius and Klaipėda

A1 seen from a viaduct

Last edited by Pansori; May 13th, 2010 at 02:38 AM.
Old May 13th, 2010, 01:38 AM   #520
Pansori
planquadrat

A15 (E85)
Vilnius - Šalčininkai

A15 is part of Vilnius-Lida (BY) route and goes from Vilnius towards LT/BY border for about 45km outside of Vilnius

Map

Photos:

Near Vilnius

Tags
lithuania, roads