daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 13th, 2010, 01:38 AM   #521
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Pansori está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2010, 01:39 AM   #522
Pansori
planquadrat

Old May 13th, 2010, 01:39 AM   #523
Pansori
planquadrat

Trucks with Russian number plates

Old May 13th, 2010, 01:40 AM   #524
Pansori
planquadrat

Šalčininkai town. The A15 bypasses the town but we decided to have a look around since we had never been there before

Approaching the LT/BY border

The border crossing

Turing back. Note, the expressway speed limit is wrong, it should be 110 and not 100

Going back to Vilnius

Last edited by Pansori; May 13th, 2010 at 01:47 AM.
Old May 13th, 2010, 03:17 AM   #525
Pansori
planquadrat

A16 (E28)
Prienai - Vilnius

A16 is the main (A) road in Lithuania connecting the capital Vilnius with Kaliningrad (Ru). The stretch in the video is from Prienai (a small town not far from Kaunas) to Trakai (a town near Vilnius).

Map:
image hosted on flickr

Car: Citroen C3
Camcorder: Panasonic HD with optical stabilizer
Speed: 80-110km/h (140km/h at one point)

Part 1

Timeline:

0:25 Overtaking another light car
0:32 Stretch with bad surface quality
0:50 Slightly better surface quality
0:54 Bad surface quality again
1:02 Better surface quality
1:08 Bad surface again
1:27 You can see the old design crash barriers. They were used in Lithuania, if I'm not mistaken until some time in the 80's. Those are rarity these days. They seem to be in good condition though
1:39 Good surface quality
2:25 smoke coming from a roadside fire
3:29 Overtaking a bus. Speeding at about 140km/h
4:48 Entering town Aukštadvaris, 50km/h
4:55 40km/h
4:56 Speed bump
4:59 Speed camera
5:20 another speed bump
5:26 End of Aukštadvaris town, 60km/h
5:31 80km/h
5:34 End of 80km/h
5:38 70km/h
5:40 60km/h
5:43 end of all restrictions
5:56 80km/h
6:00 End of 80km/h
6:11 80km/h
6:50 80km/h
7:30 80km/h
8:18 70km/h

As you can see there are way too many speed restrictions for a main road and the road itself is not quite up to the standard due to very sharp turns and lack of bypasses for some larger towns/villages. It's not a big problem though because there are at least 3 alternative routes to the same direction all of which are in better shape. So perhaps little wonder why this road is not being given the absolute priority. The number of cars per day on A16 is only about 2000-3000 depending on the location.

I will put the second part with the route from Trakai to Vilnius.

Last edited by Pansori; May 13th, 2010 at 05:26 AM.
Old May 13th, 2010, 04:25 PM   #526
Triceratops
Labor Omnia Vincit

Likes (Received): 11

Pansori, how much time do you spend for such photo tours?! Anyway, great job! We really appreciate you showing us Lithuania! Thanks, hope to see more of your nice roads!
Old May 13th, 2010, 04:33 PM   #527
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

Indeed, great job! I'm really happy about all those pictures, because I'm co-building a Dutch-language road database for the Dutch wegenforum, and I just moved into the Baltics, researching that area I finished Lithuania a couple of days ago, and am now working on Latvia. Estonia is next.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2010, 04:45 PM   #528
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Indeed, great job! I'm really happy about all those pictures, because I'm co-building a Dutch-language road database for the Dutch wegenforum, and I just moved into the Baltics, researching that area I finished Lithuania a couple of days ago, and am now working on Latvia. Estonia is next.
Make sure you'll show it to us when finished
Old May 13th, 2010, 04:48 PM   #529
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceratops View Post
Pansori, how much time do you spend for such photo tours?! Anyway, great job! We really appreciate you showing us Lithuania! Thanks, hope to see more of your nice roads!
Spend? Not much I guess. I was on 2 week holidays seeing my family and friends. Only some of those trips (and only the short ones) were dedicated entirely to the road touring. Most (Vilnius-Šiauliai, Šiauliai-Palanga) were for other pusposes i.e. I was traveling with my family. The photos from Palanga to Klaipėda and from Šiauliai towards Radviliškis were actually not even taken by me but by mu aunt and mother respectivelly. I just told them to take pictures of the road and, to my great surprise, they both liked it and even said it's quite addictive. So I went a step further and even involved my other family members into this "weird" hobby... at least now they understand that people who photograph and discuss about roads are not somewhat mentally sick.
Old May 14th, 2010, 12:17 AM   #530
Pansori
planquadrat

Part 2 of the A16. I added some annotations, so hope they will help a little.

Note, the junction at 4:45 will soon be gone and give its way to a two-level junction with what will be the 'real' new Southern Bypass of Vilnius (currently road 106). Not to be confused with the existing Southern bypass connecting A3 with A1 which is also quite new. Vilnius will have two Southern bypass roads now. A bit of a luxury

Last edited by Pansori; May 14th, 2010 at 12:24 AM.
Old May 14th, 2010, 03:46 AM   #531
Pansori
planquadrat

A3 (E28)
Vilnius-Minsk

A short stretch between road 106 (near which the new Southern bypass route will go) and the inner city Southern Bypass.

Map (note, the destination 'B' looks like a dead end on Google Maps. This si where the new inner Southern bypass road goes and connects A3 with A1. Google was lazy to update their maps)

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The location where the Inner Southern bypass highway starts and goes towards thew A1 where it will join the U/C Western part of the bypass and if going straight further will eventually reach the outer Southern bypass which will be built over the next couple of years
image hosted on flickr

Note, all transit traffic from A3 no matter which direction beyond Vilnius they were going to, were forced to go via Vilnius city center (including all those heavy trucks!) or use the very obscure 106 "bypass" which can be hardly called bypass due to horrible quality and inadequacy. After the completion of the Inner Southern bypass now there is a direct access to A1 from where it is also much easier to get to A2, A4 and A16. Still some routes include going via the city center (e.g. to A2). Situation will further improve by completing the currently U/C Western bypass which will provide a direct connection to the A2 without entering the inner parts of the city and the new outer Southern bypass will provide direct links to A4 and A16 as well as alternative route to get to A1 or even A2. So all in all Vilnius will have two bypass roads in the Southern and Western part of the city which will completely transform the way all transit traffic moves to and around Vilnius.

I had posted this map before, but I'll do it again just to give more idea of what I'm talking about.

Orange = the existing and U/C inner Southern and Western bypass. It will connect A3 with A1 and A2
Purple = the planned Outer Southern bypass to be U/C later this year. It will connect A3 with A1, A4 and A16 (financing has already been allocated, totaling €60 million in the 2010 budget)

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Pansori; May 14th, 2010 at 04:08 AM.
Old May 14th, 2010, 06:48 AM   #532
Pansori
planquadrat

Vilnius Inner Southern bypass

The missing stretch (about n3km) of the Inner Southern bypass was completed a couple of years ago effectivelly connecting A3 (Minsk) and A1 (Kaunas, Klaipėda) roads. After the completion of the Western Bypass it will also be part of the link to A2 (Panevėžys, Riga).

Video map:
image hosted on flickr

Flickr link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnas/4605158191/sizes/o/

Old May 14th, 2010, 12:16 PM   #533
Alexriga
BANNED

Likes (Received): 183

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
http://latvijas-karte.zl.lv/
check this site they already did everything
Alexriga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2010, 04:54 PM   #534
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexriga View Post
http://latvijas-karte.zl.lv/
check this site they already did everything
Great site but maps are a little outdated.
Old May 14th, 2010, 07:26 PM   #535
Triceratops
Labor Omnia Vincit

Likes (Received): 11

Wow, I didn't know Vilnius will soon have great bypasses from two most important dirtections - West-East and North-South. This should solve mainly all transit problems in Lithuanian capital. Will there be once a ring-road around Vlinius?
Old May 14th, 2010, 10:16 PM   #536
Hollandman
BANNED

Likes (Received): 9

nice video and photos
Hollandman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2010, 12:51 AM   #537
Pansori
planquadrat

And finally the last video from Lithuania, the A2 between Vilnius and Ukmergė (about 74km to the North from Vilnius).

If I am not mistaken this must be the only decent quality and decent length video from one of the two motorways in Lithuania (at least I haven't seen any others), so this is quite unprecedented.

I really wanted to make a similar video from A1 but it just didn't happen this time. A1 is generally a better road and has better views as well. I am still planning to go for holidays to LT in summer so I will definitely make a full non-stop video report all the way from Vilnius to Klaipėda.

For now, Ladies and Gentlement, the
A2 (E28)
Vilnius - Ukmergė

Map:
image hosted on flickr

Flickr link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnas/4607604364/

As you can see in the video, the traffic intensity is quite low. This is very typical for A2 and largely so for the A1 between Kaunas and Klaipėda.

Last edited by Pansori; May 15th, 2010 at 12:59 AM.
Old May 15th, 2010, 03:57 AM   #538
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceratops View Post
Wow, I didn't know Vilnius will soon have great bypasses from two most important dirtections - West-East and North-South. This should solve mainly all transit problems in Lithuanian capital. Will there be once a ring-road around Vlinius?
Yes, this is a very good news for Vilnius. All this is not going to be complete before around 2015 though. Still the good thing is that it's approved and moving forward unlike during the previous 20 years.

Most of those plans were "approved" some time in the 80's by the Soviet government but, as was typical for those days, didn't move forwards due to various reasons. Still I think those guys back in those days were having some good visions... I mean the number of cars per capita was about 10x smaller than it is today! Yet they were planning huge bypasses, viaducts and grade-separated roads all the way through the city centers. Ironically some of the plans that were already at least partially realised (e.g. some 'high-speed streets' in Vilnius), were later ruined by the later governments which allowed spontaneous development and short-sighted decisions which resulted in things like non grade separated pedestrian crossings, junctions, traffic lights etc. Things start to change only now.

Anyway, I made a few more maps.

An overview map of the major roads and the ways transit traffic goes via Vilnius
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

So as you can see before the completion of the Inner southern bypass (green) there was no normal connection between A3 and all other roads. This means that all traffic from/to Belarus had to go via the regular city streets. This was absolutely unacceptable and just tragic.

Right now the situation is much better because A3 has a more or less direct and adequate link to A1 and much better link to A2 which is still via the city center but via larger streets which are suitable for transit traffic.

After the completion of the Western bypass (green dotted) there will be a direct connection between A3 and A2 and a much better connection between A1 and A2 (although this is somewhat less important).

And finally the 'real' Southern bypass (black dotted line) will connect all major roads in the Southern part of Vilnius.

There is also a plan to extend the Western bypass to link it to A14 so effectivelly directly linking all A roads around Vilnius and effectivelly forming about 2/3 of a city ring-road.

There are no plans of the North-Eastern bypass so I guess Vilnius will not have a full ring-road anythinme in the near future but I guess the current plans are good enough. Anything more than that would be a luxury. It would be great if they would improve the situation on the major trunk-road type streets (or high-speed streets) which are shown on map in blue. Originally such 'high-speed' streets were meant to be urban expressways with no level junctions, no traffic lights, no pedestrian crossings etc. However the plans despite being realized were never built according to the project and now we have what we have.

Last edited by Pansori; May 15th, 2010 at 04:05 AM.
Old May 15th, 2010, 05:13 AM   #539
Pansori
planquadrat

I did have one more video after all

Driving in Vilnius (Northern outskirts) and getting on A2. A prequel to the previously posted A2 video

Old May 15th, 2010, 09:58 AM   #540
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2294

Pansori.
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
lithuania, roads