daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 12th, 2010, 05:53 PM   #661
fredis
Žalgiris Kaunas 4ever

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatse View Post
I think that it's mostly meant to prevent passings on the intersections. Passing on places like this are quite common in all the Baltic states including Estonia.
True, very true. Cos especially truck drivers over take on these intersections. But I must admit that I use to overtake very slow car on these intersections. Yes I know that it's wrong, but now I won't do it
fredis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2010, 05:07 AM   #662
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Video Palanga - Klaipėda (about one week ago)

Map:
image hosted on flickr

Untitled by jo.sau, on Flickr
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2010, 01:25 PM   #663
Triceratops
Labor Omnia Vincit

Likes (Received): 11

Marvellous video! The road is just so nice I couldn't believe it's in Lithuania, terrific surface and the fact that it's a 2x2 expressway just amazes a lot, it definitely must be turned into a motorway, just get rid of those couple level U-turns in the vicinity of Palanga and here you go!
Old August 14th, 2010, 02:15 PM   #664
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceratops View Post
Marvellous video! The road is just so nice I couldn't believe it's in Lithuania, terrific surface and the fact that it's a 2x2 expressway just amazes a lot, it definitely must be turned into a motorway, just get rid of those couple level U-turns in the vicinity of Palanga and here you go!
Thanks.

I guess they could at least give it an expressway status if not motorway if they wanted. However, they don't seem to have plans to do that. The main excuse (I got it confirmed via email by the LT Road Agency) is "expansion of Klaipėda" which is bullshit and does not affect the status of the road in any way. The new part (2:42 onwards) is indeed an excellent road and already 100% complies with expressway status, however they never upgraded it to a higher status and the max. allowed speed is the same 90km/h. The old part could probably be fixed with one or two viaducts and slowing/acceleration lanes at some exits. That's it. I guess it would mean no more than 20-30 million Euros of investment to make it an expressway. However they won't do it... moreover they don't even put a 100km/sh sign as in A1 Vilnius-Kaunas (which also isn't a motorway or expressway). It's quite hard to understand their strategy (if they have any) and thinking.

Last edited by Pansori; August 14th, 2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old August 16th, 2010, 12:25 AM   #665
Pansori
planquadrat

A1 Vilnius - Klaipėda in HD

I'm happy to invite everyone to an epic Lithuanian road trip: a full video coverage of the A1 Vilnius - Klaipėda which is the backbone and the biggest pride of the Lithuanian road system. I miseed a few kilometers somewhere between Kaunas and Klaipėda due to camcorder glitch (I accidentally switched off the power while filming and then it took a few minutes to recover the files while I was still driving) but that is trivial.

Map:
image hosted on flickr

map by jo.sau, on Flickr

A1 Vilnius - Klaipėda HD (PART 1)

- 00:00 - 00:20 starting off in the Northern part of Vilnius on Ateities Street and after a few turns getting onto what is the A2 inside the city limits of Vilnius (street which crosses the entire city and then becomes A1)
- 00:20 onwards driving on A2 (Ukmergės street which later becomes Geležinio Vilko street and then Savanorių Prospektas before leaving the city limits and becoming the A1. The entire route you see in Vilnius which crossess the entire city from North towards the South and then towards the West was intended as an urban motorway without non grade separated junctions, traffic lights or pedestrian crossings. As you can see this is not the case. Even more upsetting is that most of the "bad" stuff (i.e. traffic lights, pedestrian crossings etc.) were built after 1991. I don't think there is any way to turn this street into what it was originally planned to become. Not without massive investments.
- 1:20 LED display showing traffic information. Albeit, they are hardly of any use. The real-time traffic data collection and information system was installed and the displays were intended to show some kind of information. Now all they show is something like "drivers, be careful" or "no access on x bridge due to roadworks"... totally useless. I wish they built LED boards like in Bangkok or some Chinese cities with a digital scheme showing real-time situation in nearby streets and junctions. Would not cost too much but would be much more useful. Now it looks just like money laundering.
- 1:43 Highrises of the New City Center of Vilnius. I must admit this is not the worst of the views when entering a city
- 2:07 driving on Geležinio Vilko Bridge. The widest bridge in Lithuania with 4+4 lanes. Quite impressive for a small city in small and sparsely populated country.
- 2:14 Geležinio Vilko Tunnel. Quite a good engineering solution in Vilnius. If I'm not mistaken, the only tunnel of such kind in Lithuania (i.e. in the city center going under older buildings and other streets)
- 3:09 Going under Southern Bypass
- 4:16 Start of a really bad stretch of A1 withing Vilnius city limits. It badly needs a repavement AND widening to 3+3. In fact, it needed both at least 10 years ago...
-4:37 leaving Vilnius (sign can be seen on the right). Immediately after that the road becomes MUCH better. It is a "rule" in Lithuania that within the city limits the roads are usually bad but become much better as soon as you leave the city limits
- 5:10 another utterly useless electronic "information" sign.

5:30 Grigiškės, a suburb town of Vilnius. The road has been recently partially reconstructed in this stretch. The first stage was completed a month or so ago and the second stage should start some time soon. After that, according to the road agency, this stretch should comply to motorway standards (something A1 between Vilnius and Kaunas struggles to achieve). Albeit, I doubt the speed limit will be more than 80km/h.

6:10 and onwards - A1 towards Kaunas. The typical speed limit is 100km/h and surface quality is excellent for most of the time. The LT road agency vaguely declares that the goal is to make the stretch Vilnius-Kaunas a motorway but does not give any clear deadlines or action plan apart from occasional declarations that all reconstruction works that take place comply to motorway standards. Despite 15 years of slow reconstructions, however, there are still many places where it clearly does not comply to motorway or even expressway level, considering a relatively high AADT which is around 20 000 cars and is the busiest road in Lithuania

Last edited by Pansori; August 16th, 2010 at 12:35 AM.
Old August 16th, 2010, 02:19 PM   #666
Triceratops
Labor Omnia Vincit

Thanks a lot for such work, Pansori! We appreciate what you did and the video is very valuable actually, tnx again for sharing!
Old August 16th, 2010, 02:43 PM   #667
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1818

I notice you doing a few right-turns with a red light at the beginning of the video. Is it allowed on all intersections in Lithuania or only where there's the "green arrow" sign?
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #668
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
I notice you doing a few right-turns with a red light at the beginning of the video. Is it allowed on all intersections in Lithuania or only where there's the "green arrow" sign?
It's only allowed with the permanent green arrow. Otherwise it woul be illegal.
Old August 16th, 2010, 09:54 PM   #669
Grisent

Likes (Received): 1

Wonderful video and great work - thank you so much!

This green - whadd'youcallit? - view blocker on top of the middle crash barrier is a wonderful thing, especially for night driving. Would love to see some installed in Estonia. But I suspect it does not work so effectively if carriageways are further apart and the median wider.

That Mercedes G-class overtaking you from bus lane - I find those types rather annoying

I'm looking at the map and can't quite figure out why one of the junctions (sign at 4:54) is signposting Lida & Minsk and nothing else. Seems rather random, especially considering that these two are, like, on the other side of Vilnius... But it probably makes more sense when coming from the other direction, towards Vilnius. Can you perhaps remember what were the road numbers on that sign? I can't quite read them out from the video.
Grisent no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 01:28 AM   #670
Pansori
planquadrat

Thanks. Good to hear it was interesting.

The Minsk/Lida sign directs to the A3 and the Southern Bypass of Vilnius. It can also be used to get to Vilnius center. I'm not sure why they chose such signage but it's not a big news that signage in Lithuania needs to be improved and made more consistent and clear. Also, I should have added more and more informative annotations to the video. I will do it with upcoming videos.
Old August 17th, 2010, 02:20 AM   #671
Pansori
planquadrat

A1 Vilnius - Klaipėda HD (PART TWO)

Part Two

A1 Vilnius - Klaipėda HD (PART TWO)

This part ends just upon entering Kaunas which means we've already done 100km and have another 200km or so to do.

Vilnius - Kaunas leg does not have a motorway status and only has a few km stretch of expressway where maximum allowed speed is 110km/h (albeit, it doesn't look any different from the rest of the road in terms of standards and safety).

Last edited by Pansori; August 17th, 2010 at 02:57 AM.
Old August 17th, 2010, 02:59 AM   #672
Pansori
planquadrat

A1 Vilnius - Klaipėda HD (PART THREE)

Part Three

Starting at Kaunas and finishing somewhere near town of Ariogala about 40km from Kaunas

A1 Vilnius - Klaipėda HD (PART THREE)
Old August 17th, 2010, 01:09 PM   #673
GrimFadango

Likes (Received): 335

Pansori, nice & decent roads in Lithuania :chuck_norris_aproooves_it:

lol at the tags
Old August 17th, 2010, 10:02 PM   #674
Pansori
planquadrat

A1 Vilnius - Klaipėda HD (PART FOUR)

Part Four

Somewhere inbetween Kaunas and Klaipėda. This is where it gets really boring: flatlands, little traffic and generally nothing happening

Starting about 50km from Kaunas

A1 Vilnius - Klaipėda HD (PART FOUR)

One thing I like about A1 between Kaunas and Klaipėda (the same could be said about A2 Vilnius - Panevėžys) is the relaxing and calm feeling of emptiness. Traffic is usually never too high there, visibility is excellent and the road is straight without many turns or steep gradients (there aren't any in Lithuania anyway). This makes driving somewhat very stress-free and guaranteed that you won't hit a traffic jam (unless there is a big car accident which isn't a common occurance on this road anyway).

Last edited by Pansori; August 17th, 2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old August 18th, 2010, 07:31 PM   #675
bleetz
one.man.army

Likes (Received): 395

Great videos. Spent lots of time watching them. Too bad I couldn't join in this time around.
Old August 19th, 2010, 12:48 AM   #676
Pansori
planquadrat

A1 Vilnius - Klaipėda HD (PART FIVE)

Part Five
Starting about 120km from Klaipėda. The surface gets more rough in places from here to Klaipėda albeit still not a major problem. Recently it was announced that a number of viaducts in the A1 between Kaunas and Klaipėda will be reconstructed as well as some repavement works in some stretches will be taking place so hopefully some of those worst stretches will see a facelift soon.

A1 Vilnius - Klaipėda HD (PART FIVE)
Old August 19th, 2010, 01:32 AM   #677
Pansori
planquadrat

Part Six (LAST PART)

The other end of A1 . In the end of the video you will see construction of Jakai Roundabout junction which is to become the largest traffic junction in Lithuania and is going to be very badass junction by local standards featuring the longest flyover in Lithuania (610m long ), a few more levels of overpasses and generally badass looks seen from kilometers away from some angles.

A1 Vilnius - Klaipėda HD (PART SIX)

Last edited by Pansori; August 19th, 2010 at 01:39 AM.
Old August 19th, 2010, 01:39 AM   #678
Pansori
planquadrat

I am going to post more videos from A1 going from Klaipėda towards Kaunas and A12 to Šiauliai, so please keep tuned.
Old August 21st, 2010, 01:44 AM   #679
Pansori
planquadrat

A video of driving in Klaipėda

Admittedly street maintenance in Klaipėda seems better than in Vilnius and much better than in Kaunas.
Old August 21st, 2010, 08:46 PM   #680
Triceratops
Labor Omnia Vincit

Cool to see Klaipeda almost fully covered! Really good roads there, amazing!

Btw, how about some updates on what's being done with the highways around Lithuania?

Tags
lithuania, roads