daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 3rd, 2010, 02:01 AM   #721
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasza View Post
This year i was in Lithuania on my holiday (In Šventoji near Palanga) and what I discovered in my trip (I was driveing from Suwalki, so it was DK8 in Poland, A5, A1, A13 in Lithuania) that you must take more care of A1. It is just so bad, that such a good road is getting worse. In some parts it was unable to drive 130km/h (it is still posible to return somwhere and it's really dangerous). I would say - you Main Roads (like A5) are just great and I wish that in Poland they will be as good as yours in the future but your Motorways are... oh well it is easy to see - they are just old.
Some stretches (just a few of them, in fact) of A1 between Kaunas and Klaipėda are indeed old and need improvement. However for most part the condition of the road culd be described as good (not excellent but good). I drove on that road last summer and recorded the journey on my camcorder. You can see the video somewhere in this thread. I was driving 140km/h for most part on a Citroan C3 which is a small and shitty car not designed for anything above 130km/h. I didn't have any problems doing that and I always drive safe and responsible. So I think you are exaggerating a bit or simply have not driven much in other countries in Europe and elsewhere.

I understand the excitement of comparing the superior new Polish motorways to the old Lithuanian ones but then you could easily do the same in Germany, UK and pretty much anywhere else in Europe (except The Netherlands, of course ) and say exactly the same you did now.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2010, 07:05 PM   #722
bleetz
one.man.army

Likes (Received): 396

I don't see what the argument is about. Lithuanian motorways are worse than Polish ones because the Polish ones are newer. It is obvious. However, the good thing about Lithuanian motorways is that they are free. I would definitely rather have motorways in Lithuania in their current condition than have them upgraded to the (excellent) Polish standard and then get charged for them, Especially knowing that the Polish motorways will not stay in their current shape forever. The difference will decrease to minimum eventually because Polish roads will also deteriorate as they do in all countries (except for the Netherlands, of course ).
Old November 3rd, 2010, 10:28 PM   #723
Sasza
Człoooowieku

Likes (Received): 4735

But hey, as I told - they are not bad, they're just old and somwhere dangerous but to be honest, most of it i was driveing faster than 130km/h
Sasza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2010, 06:25 PM   #724
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Likes (Received): 329

Bump with updates. Few good shots of current projects were posted on internet newspapers.

1) Vilnius western bypass
Photos (c) by Gediminas Bartuška, http://www.diena.lt/vaizdai/albumai/...linkkelis-5805

It's god, hat they care about environment and plant some trees

Intersection

The top of the tunnel (~300 meter long)

First construction stage ends few hundred meters after the tunnel

Then it goes to this street. It will be temporary road till 2 nd stage, which will be much longer, will be implemented

There will be future part of western bypass of Vilnius

2) Jakai intersection near Klaipėda, junction of roads A1 and A13
Photos (c) by Vytautas Petrikas, http://klaipeda.diena.lt/naujienos/m...sviesos-310018
It was written just lighthing is missing and everything else is ready to let the traffic use estace
Cool view towards 3rd level

On the estacade. It will be the longest in Lithuania (610 m. long). On the left you can see missing part, which will connect 3rd and 2nd level of the intersection. Tender for 2nd stage of construction finished, soon we will know who won it and when the works will start. 2nd stage will finish 3rd level junction (will connect) Palangas-Kaunas direction traffic.

Estacade

Klaipėda -> Kaunas direction

3) A3 Road Vilnius - Minsk
Romas from ************ posted some shots from A3 road Vilnius - Minsk towards Beluarusian border
Pictures are in direction Belarusian border -> Vilnius

6 km long trucks line waiting to get to Belarus

Beutiful scenery

Repaved recently

Here starts ~8 km long 2x2 just before Vilnius

Speed limits

Logistic center on the right
Xmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2010, 08:45 PM   #725
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2265

Thanks for the updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmaster View Post
6 km long trucks line waiting to get to Belarus
Never knew Vilnius TV tower could be seen from Belarus border.
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2010, 09:56 PM   #726
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Damn, I didn't see it. Good find, it's clearly visible from ~35 km distance
Old November 13th, 2010, 09:45 PM   #727
Xmaster
Lithuanian

"Lettered" from ************ posted today a really great and qualitty photo tour about Vilnius western bypass construction works, some shots:

Towards tunnel and intersection

Turn from Oslo street to western bypass

View from viaduct dorection to A1 road

Tunnel

Details

3 lanes + shoulder Here ends 1st stage. I believe the tender for 2nd stage should start quite soon

Now the traffic needs to fit into this narrow street...
Old November 13th, 2010, 10:15 PM   #728
Pansori
planquadrat

If this will really be a 3+3 road plus shoulder, if I am not mistaken, it should be the first expressway standard road with a shoulder in Lithuania which is wider than 2+2.
Old November 13th, 2010, 10:33 PM   #729
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Western Bypass

How many kilometers is the first stage of the Western Bypass in Vilnius? Does the first stage go as far as Pilaites Prospect?
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2010, 10:53 PM   #730
Xmaster
Lithuanian

The first stage is just only like 1 km long. 2nd stage will be ~3.5 km long and after the 2nd stage completion, this 3 level intersection will be connected with Pilaitės prospektas
Old November 13th, 2010, 11:17 PM   #731
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmaster View Post
The first stage is just only like 1 km long. 2nd stage will be ~3.5 km long and after the 2nd stage completion, this 3 level intersection will be connected with Pilaitės prospektas
3 level? I thought it wold be a clover-leaf i.e. two level?
Old November 14th, 2010, 12:10 AM   #732
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
3 level? I thought it wold be a clover-leaf i.e. two level?
I mean this intersection, which was built now. Pilaitės prospektas and this 3 level intersection will be connected after completion of 2 nd stage
Old November 14th, 2010, 03:33 AM   #733
Rapter
Advanced

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
If this will really be a 3+3 road plus shoulder, if I am not mistaken, it should be the first expressway standard road with a shoulder in Lithuania which is wider than 2+2.
If this will be an expressway, then they're most likely going to increase the speed limit (so hoping for that) to 100km/h after all 3 stages will be completed
Rapter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2010, 04:25 AM   #734
crazyalex

Likes (Received): 19

Lithuania highway road money from LT taxes or EU?

Last edited by crazyalex; November 14th, 2010 at 12:36 PM.
crazyalex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2010, 04:45 AM   #735
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapter View Post
If this will be an expressway, then they're most likely going to increase the speed limit (so hoping for that) to 100km/h after all 3 stages will be completed
I think this is highly unlikely. The speed will most probably stay at 80km/h. It won't be an expressway but the standard is expressway. This is my point.
Old November 14th, 2010, 12:44 PM   #736
Xmaster
Lithuanian

About the speed limits: I found some charasteristics of the project and it says, that street will be A1 category. In a table about categories and speeds it writes, that A1 category street is projected for 100 km/h speed limit. So maybe it is possible? Just also in my source they write, that street is going to be 4 lanes with perspective to 6 lanes. So I guessing how long this 2x3 stretch will be. Another point can be, that they changed something in project, beceuse I found numbers of year 2002 and can't find the actual numbers :/

@crazyalex: lots of important road projects now are partly funded by EU funds
Old November 14th, 2010, 12:44 PM   #737
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19379

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyalex View Post
Lithuania highway road money from LT taxes or EU?
That depends on which road it is.

For example EU co-funds;

* paving of gravel roads for rural development
* improvement of major E-routes
* traffic safety projects

I don't think the Vilnius bypass falls under either category, so it is likely it is funded by Lithuanian funds.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2010, 01:20 PM   #738
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Vilnius western bypass is partly funded by EU funds, because it will connect E85 and E272 roads. Can't find data of 1st stage, but for example second stage will cost 82.25 mln. EUR, where 28.9 mln EUR will be funded by EU and 53.28 mln. EUR will be funded by Lithuanian road administration and Vilnius municipality budget.
Old November 14th, 2010, 01:24 PM   #739
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19379

That's much less than some Polish projects which receive as much as 80% EU funding.

Most of the EU budget is dedicated to agriculture and rural development by the way...
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2010, 02:17 PM   #740
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2265

Since this highway will run through urban limits, I think the speed will remain at 80 km/h.
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
lithuania, roads