daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 4th, 2011, 11:41 PM   #761
Rapter
Advanced

Likes (Received): 26

Great news, I'm glad that they're going to start constructing the southern bypass, that road was a major bottleneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmaster View Post
1) On A9 road between Šiauliai and Radviliškis current works for 6.5 km stretch should be finished and 9.38 km long Kairiai town bypass (will be 2x2 road) construction works should start. After Constructing approx 16 km of 2x2 road, 10.6 km from it will be an expressway standard road, so 110 km/h speed limit
Isn't that road going to get a motorway status?, I heard, they'll put speed limits to 130km/h in there
Rapter no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 5th, 2011, 12:00 AM   #762
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Likes (Received): 329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapter View Post
Great news, I'm glad that they're going to start constructing the southern bypass, that road was a major bottleneck

Isn't that road going to get a motorway status?, I heard, they'll put speed limits to 130km/h in there
No, I'm 100% sure it's an expressway Sounds still great for me. Just Via Baltica is planned as motorway and A9 will be an expressway standard
Xmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 03:44 AM   #763
sotonsi

Hi, do the national and regional roads have prefix letters (like A1 and E67 have)? Even if there's an unofficial one that lots of people use, or are they just called by their number?
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 07:29 AM   #764
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
Hi, do the national and regional roads have prefix letters (like A1 and E67 have)? Even if there's an unofficial one that lots of people use, or are they just called by their number?
Hi, all national roads have prefix letter A. We have national roads numbers from A1 to A18. Regional roads have 3 digits number eg. 123, without letters. And there are 6 international roads crossing Lithuania and they have E letters: E67; E28; E77; E85; E262; E272 and these roads are signed combining E and A numbers, for example Via Baltica between Kaunas and Panavėžys is E67 A8 on signs.
Old January 5th, 2011, 12:09 PM   #765
sotonsi

Right, so there's no letters at all for roads that aren't A or E?
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 01:29 PM   #766
Rapter
Advanced

No, just numbers
Old January 27th, 2011, 06:44 PM   #767
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Today first stage of western Vilnius bypass was officially opened. Some photos from http://www.lrytas.lt/-12961390081295...nuotraukos.htm
(c) V.Ščiavinskas

Tunnel

From third level

Speeches about the bright future

Adjascent street was renovated too. View into direction of A1 Vilnius-Kaunas

So first 1 km long stretch was opened. They say all 3 stages of western bypass shall be completed in 2014, but I don't have any idea how they will achieve this goal, because I didn't hear any info about tenders for 2nd stage.

Edit: More good pictures taken from: http://www.15min.lt/gallery/show/Ati...-atkarpa-15485
(c) Irmanto Gelūno/15min.lt nuotr.

Cool new way of lighting. You don't need to build lighting poles

Last edited by Xmaster; January 27th, 2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old January 28th, 2011, 12:22 AM   #768
Jedrzej

Likes (Received): 321

What's up there? Why is this tunnel so long?
Jedrzej no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 07:29 AM   #769
Xmaster
Lithuanian

It's not long - just 150 meters Tunnel was built like a compromise to nearby newly built residential district. WEstern bypass seprates it from remaining city, so it was decided to build a tunnel, where they would have grass and it would feel like a green field like it was before. And viaduct would make a feel, that you are kind of separated from remaining part of city If it was no clear I could try to explain in other words
Old January 28th, 2011, 02:29 PM   #770
Jedrzej

Likes (Received): 321

No, it's ok. I guess I understood it
Jedrzej no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 12:06 PM   #771
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Seems, that internet forumers do the best photos, even better than journalist. Some more lovely pics from intersection. Photos are made by Audrius from ************

By the way - not lots of drivers know, that is already opened, so stretch is quite empty and also it does make journey quicker by not insignificant time. It will be much better when second stage will be completed.

Cool that constructors paid attention to the look of estacades. In my opinion lighting is made quite perfect

This one was made by Lettered from ************. View from the top of tunnel

By the way - in some articles it was written, that tender for the 2nd stage, which will be 2.8 km long if I'm correct, will be published within one month.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 01:07 AM   #772
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Palanga bypass which will be part of Klaipeda-Liepaja (LV) road was approved in Lithuanian government today.

A13 is one of the main roads in Lithuania which connects Klaipeda with Palanga and gos North to Latvian border after which it goes to Liepaja as A11 in Latvian territory. Right now all transit traffic including trucks have to go via Palanga city (albeit not the center) so creating extra problems for everyone.

The road will be 8.25km long and cost €25.7 million. I'm just not sure if it will be a 2+2 (i.e. as the A13 between Klaipeda and Palanga) or a regular road. Anyway, it is a good news for drivers going to or via Palanga.

A very approximate map of where the road will be built:

image hosted on flickr

Untitled by jo.sau, on Flickr
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 01:55 PM   #773
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

The cost seems too low to be a 2x2 highway but good news anyway.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 03:54 PM   #774
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2262

Too bad the Latvian A11 is a pretty ****ed up road, nevertheless these are indeed good news. Any news on approx. construction start date?
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 07:01 PM   #775
Xmaster
Lithuanian

It will be 1x2 road, because projected AADT is quite low. Pansori didn't mention, that it will be the first Lithuanian road infrastructure project based on public-private partnership. The company who will win the tender will undertake to build the bypass within two years and then maintain it for 23 years. So totally 25 years and 26 mln. EUR is not just price for building it, but also for maitaining it 23 years. The state will lease a road or how to say that It's like credit for flat. You get the flat and then pay for it 25 years by set payments
P.S. No dates for the beginning of works were published yet.
Old February 4th, 2011, 03:27 AM   #776
Rapter
Advanced

Aren't PPP roads tolled?
Old February 4th, 2011, 03:45 AM   #777
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapter View Post
Aren't PPP roads tolled?
Why? Of course any road can be tolled, be it PPP or not. Perhaps it is true that PPP roads tend to be tolled more often but it is entirely up between the parties i.e. the government and the private company to decide which seemingly won't be the case with this road. There is no practice of toll roads for private cars in Lithuania and I don't see this changing in the near or even more distant future. Remember, it's only 8km long and if there was toll everyone would just drive the old way inoring the new bypass which means it would stay empty 99.99% of the time.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #778
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Even in countries where motorways are tolled (e.g Italy) bypasses are almost always free of charge for exactly the same reason you mentioned.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 10:14 PM   #779
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Lithuanian road administration budget for 2011

So finally some good news about road infrastructure projects and budget for 2011.
At first - bigger budget for roads infrastructure and maintenance was accepted this years. This year it will reach 986,7 mln. Lt, equivalent in Euros: 285.77 EUR. Those funds are just from government, without EU funds. So as a result the budget is 105 mln. Lt bigger (equivavalent 30.4 mln EUR), or 10% bigger as a percentage result.

So this year seems to be dedicated to bypasses.
1) The construction works of Kairiai town (near Šiauliai, A9 road) shall start this year. Stretch is going to be 9.2 km long 2x2 road. If I'm correct - 6 km of it will be expressway with 110 km/h limit. After the finish of bypass, together with 6.5 km long 2x2 stretch which is going to be finished this summer, will be ~16 km of new 2x2 road, where 10 km of it it will be an expressway. Bellow is a map for some details:

2) Tender for 2nd stage of western bypass of Vilnius was published. Expecting works be started this year too. The stretch will be 2.84 km long, will be 2x3 road (). Category of road - A1. A1 category streets are projected for a speed limit of 100 km/h, however it is expected to be 80 km/h limit because of urban area. Some map of it:

3) Works already started for Vilnius southern bypass. Trees where already cut. The works at the beggining will take place in 1.9 km long stretch (it's a first stage of bypass). The road will be widened from existing 1x2 road to 2x2 road. A map of the stretch (black marked road):

Pic of mine: already cut trees, space for widening is ready

4) Bypass of Palanga town is going to be started this year too. Bypass will be 8.2 km long. The road however will be 1x2 lanes, because of too low traffic for 2x2. A map of the stretch is made be John:
image hosted on flickr

5) Bypass of Priekule town (national road nr. 141, between seaport Klaipėda and Šilutė town). Bypass will be 11 km long 1x2 road. A bad qualitty scheme of bypass I found on tkti.lt page (pink line):

6) Besides those projects, 2nd stage of works on A1 in Grigiškės town (modernisation to motorway category road) will take place. Also some serious repavements on roads A1, A2, A6, A12.

Last edited by Xmaster; March 7th, 2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old March 7th, 2011, 10:17 PM   #780
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Lithuanian road administration budget for 2011

del

Tags
lithuania, roads