daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 13th, 2012, 10:16 PM   #881
makaveli6
(:

Likes (Received): 1315

Really nice video's as always.
makaveli6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2012, 10:18 PM   #882
Agnette

Likes (Received): 29

The next from Meitene to Imanta (Riga)..
Agnette no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 11:26 PM   #883
makaveli6
(:

Likes (Received): 1315

Can't wait.
makaveli6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 03:38 AM   #884
vilniusguide
BANNED

Likes (Received): 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Ah I see.

I was under the impression that most tourists visiting Baltic countries would come from Continental Europe.

But for those coming from the outside, well I wasn't too sure......until now.

Hence why I thought that to the point of a view of a tourist from America or Africa or South East Asia, the Baltics are an exotic tourist destination (i.e. like a tourist from Mainland China visiting Kenya or Haiti)

Anyways, it looks like I'm wrong hehe. It looks like tourists from East Asia have set foot.

Oh, in that case, that's good to know then

I do wonder if we Filipinos have ever set foot on Baltic soil. I heard the farthest (most exotic place) my countrymen have ever set foot within Europe was Poland.....but I gotta check up on that.

Anyways, whoops I think I went off-topic :P
You are late, my lithuanian friend is married to Filipino

BTW, lithuanian dude A. Rudamina in India, South Asia and China: http://www.chinaheritagenewsletter.o....inc&issue=020 in Poland "polish" means not only "polish", but also all "lithuanians" are considered "polish", so don't be surprised

more about that guy. http://www.leidykla.vu.lt/fileadmin/...-2/125-138.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnette View Post
The next from Meitene to Imanta (Riga)..
Wow, latvians have a town named "A Girl" With such town names, lai dzivo Latvija!

Last edited by vilniusguide; January 16th, 2012 at 03:59 AM.
vilniusguide no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 09:22 PM   #885
Puritan

Likes (Received): 1673

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilniusguide View Post
BTW, lithuanian dude A. Rudamina in India, South Asia and China: http://www.chinaheritagenewsletter.o....inc&issue=020 in Poland "polish" means not only "polish", but also all "lithuanians" are considered "polish", so don't be surprised

more about that guy. http://www.leidykla.vu.lt/fileadmin/...-2/125-138.pdf
That really fits here. Info. about monks in Lithuanian Highways & Autobahns thread Australian National University and Royal Geographical Society are wrong - vilniusguide always knows better who is Polish and who’s not ...

Anyway, thanks for videos Agnette

Last edited by Puritan; January 16th, 2012 at 09:33 PM. Reason: ..
Puritan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 11:04 PM   #886
ja.centy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 61

You're right. No matter the point of discussion, Poland would be dragged into by the Lithuanians like himself. It reminds me a little of "Furthermore, I think Carthage must be destroyed" (link).
ja.centy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 12:08 AM   #887
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilniusguide View Post
(...)"polish" means not only "polish", but also all "lithuanians" are considered "polish", so don't be surprised (...)
No offence man, but this is one of the "trolliest" statements I've ever read. However, I'll answer to that because I know both Lithuanians & Poles quite well.

Looks like you don't know Poles well, not to say "at all". I have never heard any Pole (even the most primitive one) telling that "Lithuanians are Poles" or that "Lithuania belongs to Poland". It's a false idea in which you believe by reading your own mass media, & which isn't shared by Lithuanian people living in Poland (at least not by those whom I knew)

But I've heard quite a few Lithuanians telling the puszcza augustowska is Lithuanian ... What do these guys want to prove ? I don't have any clue, & to be honest, I don't care.

Moreover, Poles "pretend" so much everything to be Polish that they have bilingual roadsigns (Polish-Lithuanian) for villages with a strong Lithuanian minority (in the surroundings of Sejny), which you can't tell on the other side of the border. In Poland, they have Puńsk / Punskas, Buda Zawidugierska / Vidugirių Buda, Sankury / Sankūrai, Sejwy / Seivai, Wojtokiemie / Vaitakiemis, , not even reminding of the bilingual Polish/Belarusian, Polish/Ruthenian, Polish/Kashubian and Polish/German (!) roadsigns.

Where do you see, in Lithuania, bilingual names? The answer is simple: although Lituania is an ethnically more diverse country than Poland, you NEVER see them.

Pity, because this is the kind of detail that makes a region even more attractive touristically speaking, especially for language freaks like me ... & friendlier to foreigners. So what are you guys afraid of ? Go ahead ! That won't make you lose your national identity ! It's even the contrary that may happen !

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 02:45 AM   #888
zakrzemarski
d. marian1989

Likes (Received): 1345

I doubt if it is a good place for such discussions , please don't make mess here...
zakrzemarski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 10:34 PM   #889
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

You're right, although the bilingual signage is relevant to the topic. Moreover, I'm not the one who started this ... I'm just telling what I think as a guy from the exterior (not LT nor PL).

Anyway, has anyone got any recent pics from the Kaunas-Vilnius expressway ?

A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
Old January 18th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #890
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

We've had quite an interesting discussion with vilniusguide in private !

Anyway, can someone post a good map of Lithuania, including motorways, expressways & 2x2 roads (like Kaunas - Karmėlava ?)

Old January 18th, 2012, 09:49 PM   #891
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROBIN View Post

Anyway, can someone post a good map of Lithuania, including motorways, expressways & 2x2 roads (like Kaunas - Karmėlava ?)
Posted by Xmaster in post #699

The map is a bit outdated and the folowing changes happened since then:

- the purple bit near Šiauliai is now complete and should be in blue ("2x2 expressway")
- there should be another small purple bit "2x2 under construction" near Šiauliai just next to the one seen in the map
- the blue "2x2 expressway" between Vilnius and Kaunas is now much bigger an makes about 50% of A1 Vilnius-Kaunas route.
- Vilnius West ring is under construction and therefore it could also be counted as a "2x2 under construction" (connecting A1 and A2 withing city territory for most part). It's not been marked in the map at all.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 11:28 PM   #892
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Also, the southern bypass of Vilnius is complete, so the A1 and A3 are now connected by dual carriageway through Vilnius.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 11:40 PM   #893
Pansori
planquadrat

True. However the link between A3 and A1 is somewhat not very efficient yet. Part of it (which existed for many years) is in a rather bad condition and the route still has at least two one level junctions with other streets. Although there were plans to eliminate at least one of them if I am not mistaken.

Check the map showing the route between A3 and A1 via the Southern bypass ring: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=...via=1&t=m&z=12

If you zoom in and follow the route from A to B you will see everything.
Old January 19th, 2012, 08:16 AM   #894
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Yes, the easternmost 20-25% of the route indicated on the map you posted above was built in soviet times. I agree completely about the bad condition of that stretch and it does have at least one traffic light that I remember. That's why I wrote that it's dual carriageway, not expressway, even though most of it (the western 75-80%) is expressway standard or nearly so.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 07:23 PM   #895
vilniusguide
BANNED

In some 3-4 years E67 Kaunas-Marijampolė part (22,0-56,50) will be upgraded to highway standards.

Documents in lithuanian.
http://www.tkti.lt/get.php?f.90

http://www.nzt.lt/nzt/content/legisl...categoryId=610

http://www.tkti.lt/get.php?f.318
Old January 19th, 2012, 08:50 PM   #896
vilniusguide
BANNED

Vilnius Western bypass, finished part:

New tunnel

Flyover

Three level crossing

From here: http://www.15min.lt/gallery/show/Ati...-atkarpa-15485
Old January 19th, 2012, 11:42 PM   #897
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Very nice, except one detail: MINSKAS (BY) may be understandable for foreigners as MINSK. But GARDINAS (BY) is much less. Strange that in Vilnius they keep this kind of roadsign when in Central Lithuania (Kaunas & Via Baltica), they write both endonyms & exonyms ...

I had once a funny situation in Druskininkai. I saw "GARDINAS 38" & turned left - curious, because I thought it was a town in Lituania that wasn't on my map. & suddenly ... Belarus border ! (GARDINAS = HRODNA for those who don't know).

When I see the infrastructure that is being built in Latvia, Lithuania & Poland, I'm very impressed. Our infrastructures in France are starting to look old-fashioned

About the map: Thanks a lot. Looks like you're slowly building a motorway/expressway between Panevėžys and Palanga through Šiauliai. Am I mistaken ?

P.S.: Snow ! Lucky you !

Old January 20th, 2012, 01:09 AM   #898
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROBIN View Post

When I see the infrastructure that is being built in Latvia, Lithuania & Poland, I'm very impressed. Our infrastructures in France are starting to look old-fashioned
You're just taking a piss now, right?

Quote:
About the map: Thanks a lot. Looks like you're slowly building a motorway/expressway between Panevėžys and Palanga through Šiauliai. Am I mistaken ?
I think you are mistaken. At the present there is only a plan to connect Šiauliai and Radviliškis (15km) with an expressway standard road. About half of it is already open and another half is U/C. There is a general idea that the road should eventually connect Šiauliai and Panevėžys but no schedules or any real plans were announced. There are no plans or even talks of ever connecting Šiauliai to Palanga. And there is no need for that because traffic volumes are too low (2000-5000 AADT depending on the stretch). You can see a map showing traffic volumes here: http://www.lra.lt/lt.php/lietuvos_ke...tensyvumas/542

So the only upgrades to expressway/motorway that are necessar are the following:
- A9 Šiauliai-Panevėžys
- A5 between Kaunas and PL border (Via Baltica)
- In a very long term it could be A5 Kaunas-Panevėžys and A10 Panevėžys-LV Border.
- Maybe A3 from Vilnius to BY border if Belarus opens up and tourism/trade will increase?

Other than that I really doubt there would even be any considerations regarding new expressways/motorways in Lithuania.

One thing that is needed though is upgrade and good maintenance of the 1+1 main (A) roads by upgrading signage, safety features, pavement, removing some (or even all) one level junctions and building bypasses of towns that they cross. This is where A11 Šiauliai-Palanga should be looked at. Also A16 Vilnius-Marijampolė is quite bad and needs some improvements.

If that happens Lithuania will have a very adequate and efficient road network. Even today can't complain too much in terms of how fast and reliable you can get from A to B. However safety and general "feel" of the roads needs improving for most part (signage, standards, safety features etc.).
Old January 20th, 2012, 11:17 AM   #899
Alexriga
BANNED

Likes (Received): 183

Lithuanian roads are so good and safe compared t ours, go Litva

I guess in few years the motorway Klaipedas - Vilnius will be finished what is great.
Alexriga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 12:03 AM   #900
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexriga View Post
Lithuanian roads are so good and safe compared t ours, go Litva
Thank you

Quote:
I guess in few years the motorway Klaipedas - Vilnius will be finished what is great.
Well it's been 'finished' since 1987. Only that today the standards of A1 are not quite up to the standards of new motorways that are being built in Europe and Asia these days. Although if put aside a few inefficiencies such as inadequate exits/mergers, some U turns and a few other minor issues it's doing the job very well and so far coping with the traffic to allow safe drive at speeds of 110-130km/h for most part (in reality 120-140km/h) and allowing to get from Vilnius to Klaipėda in about 3 hours if you're on a hurry.

Of course improvement is needed. Especially between Vilnius and Kaunas (that is being done, albeit a bit slowly) and the critical stretch near Kaunas where speed is currently limited to 80km/h due to extremely heavy traffic which is at about 30 000 AADT in Kaunas vicinity and around 47 000 AADT on the busiest stretch (albeit very short). Widening to 3+3+new hard shoulders should take place there in a few years time and hopefully we'll see speeds go up to 110-130km/h there so cutting travel time between Vilnius and Klaipėda by 15-20 minutes.

Some smaller adjustments will be needed between Kaunas and Klaipėda as well although even today the speed limit is set to 130km/h and in terms of getting from A to B it's doing a very good job for a country this size and with such low population density.

Tags
lithuania, roads