daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 16th, 2012, 03:31 PM   #921
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

I've always felt that Vilnius is the Prague of the Baltics in terms of road infrastructure. Like Prague, Vilnius has one of the best urban road networks in the region. Lots of expressway-like roads and grade-separation.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #922
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle
I've always felt that Vilnius is the Prague of the Baltics in terms of road infrastructure. Like Prague, Vilnius has one of the best urban road networks in the region. Lots of expressway-like roads and grade-separation.
Are you sure about that? It's true that Vilnius has been substantially upgrading infrastructure over the past few years and by 2015 or so it will be pretty nice. But right now it remains quite inadequate and patchy. I'm not even talking about the actual tarmac condition which is horrendous in places. Cities like Klaipeda or Siauliai look much better in this respect than Vilnius. Lithuania as a whole looks fairly good in terms of road adequacy though. It's actually quite pleasant and not stressful to drive.

Last edited by Pansori; May 16th, 2012 at 04:29 PM.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 04:25 PM   #923
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
In Soviet times, Lithuania asked Moscow for roads while Estonia and Latvia asked for factories. When the Soviet Empire collapsed, Estonia and Latvia had useless factories, but Lithuania still had roads.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 07:29 PM   #924
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Likes (Received): 329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasza View Post
Are there any plans of rebuilding/repaving A1 west of Kaunas? It's in awful condition when I was there last time (2nd May). It's pretty empty but ruts are terrible, especially on right line.
But A5 to from border to Kaunas is great
Whole A1 in Kaunas, starting before an interchange with road A6 and finishing after an interchange with western bypass (Via Baltica road) will be reconstructed to 2x3 expressway. Currently technical project and other procedures are being implemented. I guess works will start next year.

Chriss: great to hear such comparison. Actually infrastructure will be mostly adequate after finishing ongoing western and southern bypass projects.Currently it is ok, but needs some improvements.
Xmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 07:36 PM   #925
Sasza
Człoooowieku

Likes (Received): 4731

I have in mind road between Kaunas and Klaipeda but it's better than nothing
Sasza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #926
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Are you sure about that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmaster View Post
Chris: great to hear such comparison. Actually infrastructure will be mostly adequate after finishing ongoing western and southern bypass projects.Currently it is ok, but needs some improvements.
Prague has many deficiencies in its road network, but it still stands out over other cities in the region, as other large cities only have limited grade-separation here and there. Prague and Vilnius have more consistent expressway (like) roads and therefore stand out compared to other cities in their respective regions.
Old May 16th, 2012, 07:54 PM   #927
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmaster View Post
Whole A1 in Kaunas, starting before an interchange with road A6 and finishing after an interchange with western bypass (Via Baltica road) will be reconstructed to 2x3 expressway.
I guess that must mean a new bridge over the Neris river.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 08:24 PM   #928
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling

I guess that must mean a new bridge over the Neris river.
Technucally it should be a reconstruction but effectivelly a new bridge because the one that is there now is too narrow even for existing layout.
Old May 16th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #929
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Quote:
I have in mind road between Kaunas and Klaipeda but it's better than nothing
Would be interesting to know about which part you are talking about, because as this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=dEM9FWLhryk#! (starting from 3:20) the road seems to be in well condition all the way.
Old May 16th, 2012, 09:17 PM   #930
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2262

Quote:
Are there any plans of rebuilding/repaving A1 west of Kaunas? It's in awful condition when I was there last time (2nd May).
What are you talking about? A1 West of Kaunas is in perfect condition, some parts were repaved in 2009, see here in direction to Kaunas.
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 09:45 PM   #931
Sasza
Człoooowieku

I'm driveing Kaunas-Klaipeda every summer since 2010 and there are lot of what we call "koleiny". Especially on line from Klaipeda to Kaunas. But bo offence, I know it's old! I just wonder, there are any plans to rebuild/repave, that's all
And on those photos You can also see "koleiny". I don't know how to call it in english. But it's a bit annoying when driveing.
I just don't want to be misunderstable - lithuanian main roads are very good, just motorways needs to be rebuild
Old May 16th, 2012, 10:02 PM   #932
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I suppose you mean "rutting" or "track formation" koleiny sounds like "railway" to me, i.e. tracks in the pavement.
Old May 16th, 2012, 10:09 PM   #933
Sasza
Człoooowieku

Thx
Old May 16th, 2012, 10:15 PM   #934
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2262

Quote:
I'm driveing Kaunas-Klaipeda every summer since 2010 and there are lot of what we call "koleiny". Especially on line from Klaipeda to Kaunas. But bo offence, I know it's old! I just wonder, there are any plans to rebuild/repave, that's all
And on those photos You can also see "koleiny". I don't know how to call it in english. But it's a bit annoying when driveing.
I just don't want to be misunderstable - lithuanian main roads are very good, just motorways needs to be rebuild
Ah, ok. I know what "koleiny" means, seen plenty of signs on your roads long time ago, now things have got better. Back to LT roads though, since I'm not from Lithuania it's impossible for me to answer your question about repavements. It's just that you cought my attention, because you exaggerated your statement by calling this part of the motorway as in "awful condition", in which it obviously is not. If it really bugs you, then what may I suggest, drive on the inner lane, or do not drive into this track formation, stay on the smooth part of the lane.
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 10:23 PM   #935
Sasza
Człoooowieku

Erm, You know. I'm bit of German in that case. If law say - drive on right lane - it means right lane
Old May 16th, 2012, 11:13 PM   #936
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Kaunas-Klaipeda is better in this respect than Klaipeda-Kaunas I suppose. Paneveys-Vilnius is worse though. That needs repaving asap. No info on such plans though but it will have to be done some time in the near future if they want to keep 130km/h speed limits in place.
Old May 16th, 2012, 11:42 PM   #937
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Prague has many deficiencies in its road network, but it still stands out over other cities in the region, as other large cities only have limited grade-separation here and there. Prague and Vilnius have more consistent expressway (like) roads and therefore stand out compared to other cities in their respective regions.
You may be right. Too bad my knowledge of other cities in the region in this respect is rather limited.

Anyway, I quickly drew a little map of what Vilnius should have been according to the grand plans of the Soviet road-building. I might have missed some roads but it still gives an idea of what it should have been.

The red lines are what was known as "fast traffic streets" in the Soviet (maybe even current Lithuanian) road terminology. This essentialy means urban expressways in our terminology i.e. limited access streets that are at least 2+2 (not necessarily with hard shoulder though), are fully grade-separated and typically have speed limit of 70-80km/h in urban areas. ALL This has been planned as early as 1960's-1970's... gotta give a credit to the Soviet urban planners for this one. If only it went as good in reality as it did on the paper. But as we know it never did in the USSR.

image hosted on flickr

Untitled by jo.sau, on Flickr

The interesting thing is that virtually all of this has either been built or is being built now (with a delay of 40 years ). The only problem is that it didn't happen exactly according to the plan and some intersections are not grade-separated as intended. All due to lack of funding back in the Soviet times (mainly mid-late 1980's). While the A2 in the Northern part of Vilnius towards Riga was messed up after 1990 once all kinds of objects started popping up along the A2 which needed access directly from the A2. Common sense suggests that access roads should have been built there but it never happened. This means that a bunch of traffic lights and left turns were installed which effectively destroyed the idea of the grade-separated street. This is a showcase of idiocy that was taking place there for the past 20 years...

Other than that there are just a few non grade separated junctions here and there and a few pedestrian crossings i.e. something that eventually can be rectified.

Another thing to note is the construction of Western bypass ring. Once it will be complete (2014) it will be possible to cross Vilnius non-stop from the directions of A3 Minsk, A1 Klaipeda and A2 Riga towards any other direction of the three mentioned. This is a colossal improvement which will pretty much solve most of Vilnius's traffic issues once it becomes functional.

Also, Google Street view is coming to Lithuania soon so it will be a good way of exploring what is what exactly.

Last edited by Pansori; May 16th, 2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old May 17th, 2012, 12:21 AM   #938
whatever...

Likes (Received): 838

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
In Soviet times, Lithuania asked Moscow for roads while Estonia and Latvia asked for factories. When the Soviet Empire collapsed, Estonia and Latvia had useless factories, but Lithuania still had roads.
"Asked" is a strong word. If by saying it you meant that all projects had to first be approved by Moscow, then yes, i suppose "Lithuania asked".

Otherwise, there's no sensible reason to think the A1, or any other road for that matter, would not have been built if Lithuania would've remained independent. I mean, as if it's technologically hard or obscenely costly to pour four lanes of asphalt on a flatland that Lithuania is.

The first Vilnius - Kaunas highway project was in fact prepared before the communists overthrew our government. And generally, the trend of Lithuania making road infrastructure a priority stems from the 30's, when a number of large infrastructural projects were started/completed.

The path of Vilnius - Kaunas highway according to the original project of 1939:

http://www.maps4u.lt/lt/maps.php?cat=88
whatever... no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 09:04 PM   #939
Xmaster
Lithuanian

"Propper" from ************ posted a good update on A9 road expressway construction, which is a bypass of Kairiai town. On the right old road and Kairiai town are visible. After building a bypass whole 2x2 expressway standard road will be ~11 km long.

A bit closer look. To the right from a cloverleaf junction, eastern bypass of Šiauliai will be build after some years.

Bythe way construction works in Aleksandrija town (suburb of Šiauliai) are approaching a finish. However photos are ~1 month old.
View towards Kairiai town:
[IMG]http://www.************/forumas/picture.php?albumid=882&pictureid=26072[/IMG]

And towards Šiauliai
[IMG]http://www.************/forumas/picture.php?albumid=882&pictureid=26073[/IMG]
Old June 1st, 2012, 01:39 AM   #940
vilniusguide
BANNED

Likes (Received): 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
You forgot some streets. Here as it should look according to the commie planners.

Pilaitė avenue would connect via bridge near Grigiškės with Vilnius-Kaunas highway, Northern street, that is in plans now, would connect Nemenčinė road with Vilnius-Kaunas and would serve northern part of Vilnius, together with parallel Ozo street, Taurupės street would connect Western bypass with Pilaitė avenue.
Western bypass would join Northern bypass with a bridge near Laurai, that would connect Nemenčinė road with Vilnius-Molėtai and Vilnius-Panevėžys highways. Then we would have another tunnel from Geležinio Vilko street to Vivulskio street that would further connect with the bypass of the Old Town (Panerių, Drujos streets). From the Old Town bypass there would be "rapid traffic street" through Naujoji Vilnia to Polock and to Minsk via Sukilėlių street (will never be build). Wise planners.

Laisvės avenue and Narbuto street were also designed with no one level crossings, as city highways.

There were plans for the Eastern bypass also, but only in the future (~2020).
vilniusguide no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
lithuania, roads