daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 15th, 2012, 03:21 PM   #961
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnette View Post
It has the new pavement (the last 12 km to Kry×kalnis) and safety infrastructure since autumn 2011.
And what about the rest? Or was it just those 12km that really sucked?
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #962
Agnette

Likes (Received): 29

I would say all A12 section from Šiauliai to Kelmė should be repaired due to bad pavement, but unfortunately I don't have any information about future plans.
Old June 15th, 2012, 10:18 PM   #963
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnette View Post
I would say all A12 section from Šiauliai to Kelmė should be repaired due to bad pavement, but unfortunately I don't have any information about future plans.
You mean from Bubiai to Kelmė? Šiauliai-Bubiai stretch is actually in excellent condition and is a nice 2+2 road (albeit doesn't have expressway status... even though it could).
Old June 16th, 2012, 12:01 PM   #964
Agnette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
You mean from Bubiai to Kelmė?...
I mean from Bubiai to Pakra×antis, approx. 40 km:

Map: http://goo.gl/maps/eb8q
Old June 18th, 2012, 06:18 PM   #965
Agnette

Here is the new video with the new (reconstructed) section of A12. Acording to my GPS it's length is approx. 15 km:

Map: http://goo.gl/maps/gM4W

Old June 18th, 2012, 10:10 PM   #966
PovilD
Naudotojas

Likes (Received): 71

Repaired part looks very good. It would be good to see repairing stretches toward Šiauliai in coming years...
PovilD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 12:04 PM   #967
whatever...

Likes (Received): 838

A few more recent photos from the construction site of the Western Bypass of Vilnius.

posted by (c)Audrius on Lithuanian forum

Starting from the end of the first stage of the project and going north:

the first of a few-to-be viaducts u/c

A look north from a side of a new viaduct

Foundation of a pedestrian(?) viaduct-to-be.

A glance back south

Going north again

And this is a look back south again, from the end of the second stage, which (a reminder) is 2,84 km long and will cost 40,5 mln. EUR.
whatever... no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 04:54 PM   #968
Pansori
planquadrat

This looks good. I hope they'll start the last stage as soon as this one is done. This whole project is so overdue.
Old June 27th, 2012, 08:08 PM   #969
vilniusguide
BANNED

Likes (Received): 75

Third stage should be build with this:

Then the city will have a sense of relief, the other way.......
vilniusguide no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 08:00 PM   #970
makaveli6
(:

Likes (Received): 1315

Greetings from Palanga. Today i have travelled around Lithuanian highways, and i have some questions.
1.) Whats with the three level interchange on A1 in Klaipeda? Whennis it finally planed to finish?
2.)When travelling on A12 (?) i saw a sign showing coins under the highways number.Afaik that means you have to pay for something, but the roads arent tolled. Whats with that?
---
I`ll be uploading somw pictures later.

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.
makaveli6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 08:04 PM   #971
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli6 View Post
2.)When travelling on A12 (?) i saw a sign showing coins under the highways number.Afaik that means you have to pay for something, but the roads arent tolled. Whats with that?
Truck Toll.

http://www.keliuvinjetes.lt/
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 11:45 PM   #972
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Likes (Received): 329

Quote:
Greetings from Palanga. Today i have travelled around Lithuanian highways, and i have some questions.
1.) Whats with the three level interchange on A1 in Klaipeda? Whennis it finally planed to finish?
---
I`ll be uploading somw pictures later.
Jakai interchange near Klaipėda is supposed to be finished in November 2012. And ChrisZwolle is right - a sign of coins means, that this road is tolled. Trucks have to pay toll for roads, which numbers start with A letter (from A1 to A18).

Waiting for your pics
Xmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 11:52 PM   #973
makaveli6
(:

Thanks for clearing this up. I'm sorry for my grammer, i was in a hurry and was writing that from my smartphone.

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.
Old July 6th, 2012, 12:53 AM   #974
makaveli6
(:

I enetered Lithuania on A12 from Latvia. My first impressions (havent driven in LT myself, only been a passenger countless times) were really nice, compared to Latvian roads. Everyhting looked so tidy and cleaned up as oposed to A8 in LV after Jelgava. Soon after Siaulia bypass, things became worse, but that wasnt much of a problem. Soon i reached A1 near Skaudville. I was rather suprised of the bad quality pavement there, but after a while the pavement got better. Overall i had a nice first time driving experience on a motorway. Though i was suprised that everyone was driving so slow, i felt weird oevertaking everyone in my Opel Meriva. In some 40 minutes i reached Klaipeda, and this was the most shocking part, i wasnt pleased with the chaotic traffic layout and the aggresive drivers there, the pavement on the main streets wasnt so good either. Anyway i didn't make any stops on my way and in a few minutes i was on the ferry leading to Curonian Spit. I must say that it is a very, very nice place with lots of intresting things to do and see, i would recmmend everyone to visit it. Especially the stunning sand dunes.
The first pictures are of Road 167 in Juodkrante, had a very nice meal in of the restaurants there.
[IMG]http://i48.************/8wmyds.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i46.************/2m7uuyr.jpg[/IMG]

After travelling around i decided to go see the Russian border, after all you don't see ir everyday.
[IMG]http://i45.************/2vt9qhf.jpg[/IMG]

This too is Road 167 somewhere after Nida, few kilometers before Russian border.
[IMG]http://i46.************/1e2dch.jpg[/IMG]

After going back to Klaipeda, i was just in time for rush hour traffic, most of the main streets were jammed, due to the awful roundabouts. But it didn't take much time, so pretty soon i was on A13 heading to Palanga. And again i was very suprsied about the road, few kilometers before Palanga the road turned out very dangerous and narrow.
I spent some time in Palanga, this is another nice city, i recommend to visit it too, reminds me of Jūrmala but Palanga is much more modern than Jūrmala. Later on i stopped on A13, few kilometers after Palanga, here are some pictures.
[IMG]http://i48.************/10hqcci.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i48.************/2z6rnmw.jpg[/IMG]
----
You can read the next part of my trip in Latvia inthe Latvian highway thread. I will probably post it sometime tomorrow.
Overall my toughts about Lithuanin roads are more positive than negative. Maybe someone knows, if there are planned any upgrades sometime in future on the roads i used today? And are therer any plans to build a bridge/tunnel to Curonian Spit?

Poland.
Old July 6th, 2012, 01:45 AM   #975
Pansori
planquadrat

Nice report here, makaveli

If you think Klaipėda's streets are badly paved you should give it a go in Vilnius or Kaunas... streets are FAR worse there.
Old July 6th, 2012, 11:32 AM   #976
makaveli6
(:

Really? I remember being in Kaunas, about two years ago, the situation there didn't seem to be so bad as in Klaipeda. Still haven't benn to Vilnius for ages, but i'm looking forward to visit it this or next year.

Poland.
Old July 6th, 2012, 12:47 PM   #977
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Likes (Received): 329

I wouldn't say, that streets in Vilnius are in bad condition
Xmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 02:26 PM   #978
vilniusguide
BANNED

Likes (Received): 75

Quote:
You can read the next part of my trip in Latvia inthe Latvian highway thread. I will probably post it sometime tomorrow.
Overall my toughts about Lithuanin roads are more positive than negative. Maybe someone knows, if there are planned any upgrades sometime in future on the roads i used today? And are therer any plans to build a bridge/tunnel to Curonian Spit?
Nice trip You had
There are plans to make roundabouts of Klaipėda on the main East-West avenue into tunnels/overpasses (estacades, actually) in some coming years. These projects are ready (??).
There were plans to build a bridge to Curonian Spit (450 m. long), because during winters sometimes people from that peninsula can't go to Klaipėda when the ferry lines are closed, ambulances can't go to the peninsula, etc.... But people said "blah blah, bridge is not cool, bridge is expensive, Klaipėda bay is unique in the World, marine navigation in the port would be interrupted" and other things. Now there are no such plans anymore...
The old part of Klaipėda-Palanga road will soon be reconstructed. Also some flyovers (2, 3?) will be build because there are a lot of new suburban quarters. Also they are about to start building Palanga bypass to Šventoji town.

Last edited by vilniusguide; July 6th, 2012 at 06:38 PM.
vilniusguide no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 02:53 PM   #979
makaveli6
(:

Thanks vilniusguide! THose are some big projects you mentioned, would be nice to see them all constructed in the coming years. It's a shame that a bridge to Curonia Spit wont be built atleast now. I mean for tourists it might be intresting to travel with the ferry, but i can't imagine living or working there, and having no other option than using the ferry everyday. Though in my opinion tunnel would be better than a bridge, but ofcoure that would probbaly be more expensive. I remember that a year or two ago there were plans to build a new bridge or a tunnel over/under Daugava in Riga. The bridge had to be some 60m high because of the big ships coming in and out of Riga. Because of that the tunnel or bridge options were each about the same price. I guess the same situation would be in Klaipeda because of the big ships. Anyway i'm going to post the Latvian part in an hour or so.

Poland.
Old July 6th, 2012, 03:27 PM   #980
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmaster
I wouldn't say, that streets in Vilnius are in bad condition
You're right they're not bad... They are atrocious. Seriously and with no exaggeration condition of streets in Vilnius (and Kaunas) is BY FAR the worse of ANY place that I have ever visited (and I travel around quite a bit). The situation in Vilnius is beyond shameful. It's just totally ****ed up!

Tags
lithuania, roads