daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 16th, 2013, 12:39 AM   #1141
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkūnas View Post
Glad to see Vilniaus Vakarinis Aplinkkelis on the map.

It seems, in 2020 the road network of Vilnius will finally be... Perfect.
Yes indeed. A1, A2 and A3 will be connected by grade separated urban expressway standard roads. Even today it is quite ok compared to what we had before opening of the inner southern ring. Literally all transit traffic had to go via the regular city streets.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 16th, 2013, 01:00 AM   #1142
Perkūnas
BANNED

Likes (Received): 528

I was trying to remember street network in the late 90s and early 2000s.
No Southern Inner bypass, no Western bypass, no Southern bypass, streets like Constitution avenue as regular 2+2 road, no Pilaitė avenue at all, traffic jams on Ukmergės-Geležinio Vilko one level intersection, Laisvės avenue not connected to Ateities and Ateities like village-like 1+0,5 road with unpaved sides and Geležinio Vilko street ending like 1+1 village road, OMG what was that?!?!...

Nice progress we've made in only 10 years [from an absurd to almost perfect network].
Perkūnas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013, 05:37 AM   #1143
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
It seems, in 2020 the road network of Vilnius will finally be... Perfect.
In my opinion, the next upgrade that will be needed is the nearly 6 kilometers of road where the A4 and A16 run together should be upgraded to 2x2 expressway. It is entirely within the Vilnius municipal boundary.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013, 06:49 PM   #1144
BriedisUnIzlietne

Likes (Received): 2896

Quote:
Nice progress we've made in only 10 years [from an absurd to almost perfect network].
Nice work, braļukas!
I'm ashamed of what we in Riga have done in the last 10 years - just 8 km of new 2x2 highways... And a bridge to nowhere.
BriedisUnIzlietne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013, 08:32 PM   #1145
Perkūnas
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriedisUnIzlietne View Post
Nice work, braļukas!
I'm ashamed of what we in Riga have done in the last 10 years - just 8 km of new 2x2 highways... And a bridge to nowhere.
New bridge, elevated road on a way to Tallinn with lots of flyovers in Riga impressed me a lot.

Actually, Vilnius lagged greatly behind Riga only 10 years ago with the street network, now we are a little bit closer to what you have enjoyed in Riga for many years and decades. The only huge problem in Riga is... River. And very small number of bridges because of the cost of those.
Old December 16th, 2013, 10:27 PM   #1146
dr_szczecin

Likes (Received): 43

Hey guys!
Do you have some kind of road investment map for 2014-2020? I mean do Lithuania have Road Infrastructure Programme for the future?
I'm looking for info about the size of roads projects in Lithuania and examples of the construction that's will be conducted in the near future and the further plans.
If someone would post some links in EN I would really appriciate that.

Thanks a lot guys! I'm really excited to see the progress in all Baltic States, and I guess sometimes I'm a little jelous.
dr_szczecin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2013, 09:46 PM   #1147
PovilD
Naudotojas

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_szczecin View Post
Hey guys!
Do you have some kind of road investment map for 2014-2020? I mean do Lithuania have Road Infrastructure Programme for the future?
I'm looking for info about the size of roads projects in Lithuania and examples of the construction that's will be conducted in the near future and the further plans.
If someone would post some links in EN I would really appriciate that.

Thanks a lot guys! I'm really excited to see the progress in all Baltic States, and I guess sometimes I'm a little jelous.
No, there isn't such map yet, but according to the media, the main works in 2014-2020, will be widening of Kaunas northern bypass (between A5 and A6), Eastern Kaunas bypass (139 road+new road+Ateities pl. widening), construction of Klaipėda Southern Expressway Bypass to the port, reconstruction of 1x2 road between Kaunas and Marijampolė to motorway and completion of Vilnius bypass system.

Check the pictures of the planned reconstructions of junctions in Kaunas bypass: http://www.delfi.lt/verslas/transpor....d?id=48896188 (scroll down a little bit)
PovilD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2013, 10:41 PM   #1148
bleetz
one.man.army

Likes (Received): 396

What are the exact plans for Kaunas eastern bypass? Are they planning to upgrade it to 2+2?
Old December 17th, 2013, 10:51 PM   #1149
mcarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleetz View Post
What are the exact plans for Kaunas eastern bypass? Are they planning to upgrade it to 2+2?
I don't know, but the new section of the Kaunas eastern bypass is drawn in OSM as a single carriageway.
Old December 17th, 2013, 11:24 PM   #1150
Pansori
planquadrat

Realistically Kaunas doesn't need a 2x2 Eastern bypass because transit traffic can use the existing 2x2 northern (A1) and Western bypass while 1x2 eastern bypass would be perfectly adequate. Widening of the A1 section near Kaunas to 2x3 ('Northern bypass') would improve the adequacy of A1 as a transit route for traffic to either Klaipeda or Poland directions. So Eastern bypass certainly doesn't need to be 2x2. It would be a waste of money and completely unnecessary.
Old December 18th, 2013, 12:02 AM   #1151
mcarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Widening of the A1 section near Kaunas to 2x3 ('Northern bypass') would improve the adequacy of A1 as a transit route for traffic to either Klaipeda or Poland directions.
Why would the northern bypass by a good choice for transit traffic to Poland? That's the long way around. I would rather have the northern and eastern bypasses both be 2x2 than the northern bypass 2x3 and the eastern bypass 1x2.

bleetz liked this post
Old December 18th, 2013, 12:33 AM   #1152
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
Why would the northern bypass by a good choice for transit traffic to Poland? That's the long way around. I would rather have the northern and eastern bypasses both be 2x2 than the northern bypass 2x3 and the eastern bypass 1x2.
Because Northern bypass will have to be rebuilt as 2x3 anyway. I suppose it would be more financially viable than building a 2x2 Eastern bypass and leaving current A1 Northern stretch as it is (i.e. 2x2 and no hard shoulders).

As for the 'long way around' it doesn't make any difference for transit traffic. It's only a few km extra from Vilnius direction. This is nothing. If you look at the whole picture it simply wouldn't make sense and would be a complete waste to build a new expressway as an Eastern bypass.

By the Way Vilnius bypass system looks somewhat similar.There is a reason why there are no plans for an Eastern bypass in Vilnius too. Simply because existing (or soon to be existing) bypass roads will do the job and be fully adequate for the needs of either transit or local traffic. Exactly same applies to Kaunas.

Remember we're talking of fairly small sized cities here and very low population density in the country as a whole. there is no need to build complete ring roads.
Old December 18th, 2013, 01:04 AM   #1153
mcarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
As for the 'long way around' it doesn't make any difference for transit traffic. It's only a few km extra from Vilnius direction. This is nothing.
The difference is 7.5 kilometers. Multiply that by the traffic and then calculate the added pollution, the added waste of time, and the added road deaths and injuries. 7.5 kilometers is a big deal.
Old December 18th, 2013, 01:20 AM   #1154
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
The difference is 7.5 kilometers. Multiply that by the traffic and then calculate the added pollution, the added waste of time, and the added road deaths and injuries. 7.5 kilometers is a big deal.
What is the amount of traffic that would use the shortcut?

Anyway, let's not forget that the 1x2 by pass road which will get built. So the shorter route will actually be there. Only that it won't have higher capacity which is not needed. Therefore discussion of 2x2 for the Eastern bypass of Kaunas loses any purpose. It is simply not needed.
Old December 18th, 2013, 05:22 AM   #1155
Perkūnas
BANNED

What about the plans to build Karmėlava bypass with a tunnel under the airport and expressway Kaunas-Prienai? Are there any plans of upgrading Kaunas-Jonava to achieve expressway status?
Old December 18th, 2013, 01:58 PM   #1156
dr_szczecin

Likes (Received): 43

OK! It is really helpful! I'm going to look for some more specific data. Thanks a lot!
dr_szczecin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2013, 06:22 PM   #1157
PovilD
Naudotojas

Talking about Eastern bypass of Kaunas, the bypass will be built, and the characteristics of the road will be the same as recently finnished A19 road with 80 km/h speed limit. It will be give better connection between Poland and Vilnius. After completion of Via Baltica motorway it will be much faster to go through Kaunas than Alytus and Lazdijai and the Eastern bypass will be much more useful then (straight road, no messing around with current Western and Northern bypasses)

mcarling liked this post

Last edited by PovilD; December 18th, 2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old December 18th, 2013, 06:29 PM   #1158
PovilD
Naudotojas

Quote:
What about the plans to build Karmėlava bypass with a tunnel under the airport and expressway Kaunas-Prienai? Are there any plans of upgrading Kaunas-Jonava to achieve expressway status?
Karmėlava bypass will be constructed maybe in 2014-2020 funding period. Kaunas-Prienai will be 1+2 road and there are no current plans for upgrading Kaunas-Jonava to expressway.
Old December 19th, 2013, 05:11 PM   #1159
Agnette

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by PovilD View Post
..Kaunas-Prienai will be 1+2 road..
The first in Lithuania?
Old December 19th, 2013, 06:21 PM   #1160
PovilD
Naudotojas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnette View Post
The first in Lithuania?
Panevėžys bypass is also planned to be 1+2, so it's currently unknown which one will be the first.

Tags
lithuania, roads