daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 6th, 2009, 03:56 PM   #101
Triceratops
Labor Omnia Vincit

Likes (Received): 11

awesome!! thanks for an update! so that section of A14 will be made into a motorway?

Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2009, 07:31 PM   #102
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Likes (Received): 329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceratops View Post
awesome!! thanks for an update! so that section of A14 will be made into a motorway?
Actually not It will be just simple dual-carriageway, not a motorway...
Xmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2009, 02:47 PM   #103
Triceratops
Labor Omnia Vincit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmaster View Post
Actually not It will be just simple dual-carriageway, not a motorway...
well, at least it will be more comfortable to drive on since it will be upgraded!
Old May 9th, 2009, 11:53 AM   #104
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Yeah and I hope it will reduce traffic jams on summer sundays evenings, when lots of people are comming back to Vilnius from a lake region.
Old May 17th, 2009, 02:10 AM   #105
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

These projects are useful but... some of them (Vilnius Southern and Western bypass, for example) were planned decades ago... Also the A1 Vilnius-Kaunas... it's an embarrassment that it's still not upgraded to a "motorway" status even after nearly 20 (!) years of reconstructions and "upgrades"... and we don't even know when (if ever) this will happen. Also the A1 between Kaunas and Klaipeda as well as A2 Vilnius-Panevezys could hardly qualify as proper motorways by any reasonable contemporary standards. They have U-turns as well as bus stops which are not separated from the main roadway area (you can clearly see one in one photo on the first page... that photo was actually taken by me a few years ago).

I have recently checked the SSC thread about motorways in China. In 2008 alone there were over 8000km (!!!) of new motorways built there and 60000km (that's sixty thousand kilometers) since 1988. And we are unable to "upgrade" our poor 100km stretch? Wtf? This is really embarrassing and shows what's the real situation with infrastructure projects in Lithuania. Moreover, we have all necessary EU funding for that, so no excuses that there is no money as it was in the 90's. Still nothing, just some old projects which were designed decades ago and which will only slightly relieve the situation with a completely inadequate infrastructure of Vilnius and some other areas. This is a shame... real shame on those who were responsible for transportation since 1990. The excuse that roads in Poland and Latvia are worse doesn't impress me either. In fact, Poland is actually moving forward with some projects. For Christs sake, why can't they just build those godamn roads... make them toll if you want, introduce congestion charges or anything else... just make the infrastructure adequate. The politics of "doing nothing" is the least good solution and this is precisely what is happening at the moment. Also, it's not like Vilnius is dense like Paris or NYC, you can build a dozen of motorways criss-crossing the city from all sides. Vilnius could have perfect roads and sufficient motorway network, yet people have to suffer from notorious traffic jams in a tiny city of 550,000 people. This is not normal.

Last edited by Pansori; May 17th, 2009 at 02:21 AM.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #106
Triceratops
Labor Omnia Vincit

actually you're so right! that's too strange that none of Baltic countries yet have a motorway!!
Old May 17th, 2009, 08:43 PM   #107
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceratops View Post
actually you're so right! that's too strange that none of Baltic countries yet have a motorway!!
Well, they have. Officially at least Lithuania has 309 Km of motorways (that is A1 Kaunas-Klaipeda and A2 Vilnius-Panevezys, and so they are shown on all maps) where the speed limit is 130km/h (although in many distances it's limited to 110km/h or less). However even those stretches that are officially called motorways and have the speed limit of 130km/h have occasional u-turns (definitely in A2 Vilnius-Panevezys, not sure about A1 Kaunas-Klaipeda) which may be extremely dangerous, especially since many cars actually go at 140-150km/h (or even faster) on the left lane... you can imagine how potentially dangerous that can be! I guess this was left from the Soviet days when those roads were built. Seems that noone really bothered about that afterwords and just turned a blind eye. I doubt any decent motorway-standard roads anywhere in Europe (or elsewhere) allow to make u-turns.
Old May 17th, 2009, 08:51 PM   #108
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

I think U-turns are common in South America, and possibly Africa and Asia, and the US also has U-turns for frontage roads, but those always exit on the right and go over or under the freeway.

However, I think the U-turns weren't a problem before, traffic used to be low, and not all roads demanded a full interchange, so you were problably led onto one carriageway, then make a U-turn and head back, and exit on the other carriageway. It's always better than having at-grade intersections for every intersecting road, but it's below today's standards. I guess these U-turns can be retrofitted pretty easy, just remove them and build some overpasses here and there.

I guess the problem is that because of the low population, the tax base to back these constructions up, are pretty minimal. If you have a 200 billion euro government budget, one billion more or less is not so much a problem if you have only like a 40 billion euro government budget.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 08:53 PM   #109
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Actually it's limited to 110 km/h during winter. There are some 110 km/h distances, but just in some short sections. On A2 110 km/h limit is where some U-Turns near Panevezys is.
And about investments in infrastructure. I don't understand why they build now 2x2 near Klaipeda and Vilnius, and they just do 2x2 without building neccessary viaducts, to eliminate 1 level crossings and make these roads motorway, or expressway standard... In a project info there is always written, that purpose is to reduce length of a trip. But I have no idea how they want to reduce time, when they make 2x2 and put 80 km/h or 70 km/h speed limit, because of U-Turns...
Old May 17th, 2009, 09:15 PM   #110
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I think U-turns are common in South America, and possibly Africa and Asia, and the US also has U-turns for frontage roads, but those always exit on the right and go over or under the freeway.

However, I think the U-turns weren't a problem before, traffic used to be low, and not all roads demanded a full interchange, so you were problably led onto one carriageway, then make a U-turn and head back, and exit on the other carriageway. It's always better than having at-grade intersections for every intersecting road, but it's below today's standards. I guess these U-turns can be retrofitted pretty easy, just remove them and build some overpasses here and there.

I guess the problem is that because of the low population, the tax base to back these constructions up, are pretty minimal. If you have a 200 billion euro government budget, one billion more or less is not so much a problem if you have only like a 40 billion euro government budget.
When I say a U-turn, I mean a level u-turn, not a 2-level flyover or overpass. Also, I think it would be reasonable to start charging for using roads as long as they are good quality and provide decent way of getting from A to B. There are examples (France, China, Singapore, etc.) and they work really well. Even city-wide charges (like in Bangkok or Singapore) can actually work excellent. But I guess this all comes to politics. It would be suicidal for politicians as well as would become a subject to further manipulations. What Vilnius really needs is a network of motorways (or just high-speed "streets") in and outside the city which would use electronic charging system so avoiding disturbances at pay-points. But I guess I'm dreaming too much here. Yet that could work so well in reality and make traffic condition much better and also be financially sustainable or even profitable...
Old May 17th, 2009, 09:25 PM   #111
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmaster View Post
And about investments in infrastructure. I don't understand why they build now 2x2 near Klaipeda and Vilnius, and they just do 2x2 without building neccessary viaducts, to eliminate 1 level crossings and make these roads motorway, or expressway standard... In a project info there is always written, that purpose is to reduce length of a trip. But I have no idea how they want to reduce time, when they make 2x2 and put 80 km/h or 70 km/h speed limit, because of U-Turns...
Exactly. There are distances of excellent newly built 2x2 roadways around Siauliai and the one you mentioned (Klaipeda-Palanga) as well as some others... I'm not even talking about A1 Vilnius-Kaunas which must be an embarrassment of the century. It wouldn't take much (in both technical and financial terms) to actually upgrade them all to a motorway standard... but this has never happened and as far as I understand there is no even such intention for the future. Simply ridiculous.

P.S. I would suggest to not differentiate terms such as 'motorway' and 'expressway' because in different countries those can actually mean the same. E.g. what is called 'motorway' in UK or some other countries, can be called 'expressway' in China or Singapore even though the standards might be similar or identical. Perhaps a 'dual carriageway road' is a better way to describe anything which has got 2x2 or more lanes yet is not considered a motorway/expressway/freeway/autobahn/autopista/autostrada etc.

Last edited by Pansori; May 17th, 2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old May 19th, 2009, 12:40 AM   #112
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Some really impressive photos of 3 level crossing construction near Klaipėda. Bird view
Photos copyrighted by www.fotoskrydis.lt

Old May 19th, 2009, 02:16 AM   #113
Pansori
planquadrat

would be interesting to see a scheme of how it will look when completed. Should be quite a view from above.
Old May 19th, 2009, 08:13 AM   #114
Triceratops
Labor Omnia Vincit

really nice!! when it is planned to finish the construction?
Old May 19th, 2009, 09:50 AM   #115
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2262

Good update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
would be interesting to see a scheme of how it will look when completed.
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 10:40 AM   #116
Xmaster
Lithuanian

It is planned to finish construction works on 30th of November 2010

Ant it seems, that scheme was changed. The newest version:

But according what is being done now, 1st scheme more realistic for me
Old May 19th, 2009, 11:42 AM   #117
RipleyLV

4 level crossing?
Old May 19th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #118
Pansori
planquadrat

Nice! Thanks

Is it really 4 levels? I kind of get the impression from the scheme as well but not absolutely sure if it's 4 levels or 3. Would be the biggest junction in Lithuania then.
Old May 19th, 2009, 12:51 PM   #119
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Hmmm... Yeah it seems 4 levels. Couldn't believe that, but from a scheme it looks like 4 levels
Old May 19th, 2009, 02:17 PM   #120
RipleyLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Is it really 4 levels? I kind of get the impression from the scheme as well but not absolutely sure if it's 4 levels or 3. Would be the biggest junction in Lithuania then.
Would be the biggest junction in the Baltic states.

Tags
lithuania, roads