daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 11th, 2014, 05:28 PM   #1241
PovilD
Naudotojas

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Do you have a (Lithuanian) source for that? For example from the road authority? The legal text doesn't seem to specify it (it still shows green signs).
New destination signage rules will be prepared in 2015 (acording to LRA question-answer thread), so as for now, blue destination signs are still not shown along with green ones. According to legal text, sign 601 and 605 will not be used anymore. It might be changed by other signs like new motorway and expressway exit signs, etc. and referred as signs 601 and 605.

In that thread I asked a question about destination signage in motorways and they said that new destination signage will be applied in 2015. (link)

Last edited by PovilD; October 11th, 2014 at 06:29 PM.
PovilD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2014, 07:26 PM   #1242
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Likes (Received): 329

Since 11th October 2014 cars are allowed to drive at speed 120 km/h on expressways during summer season (from 1st April to 1st November). Previouly a speed limit during summer season for expressways was 110 km/h.
Expressways in Lithuania:
  • Majority of A1 road between Vilnius and Kaunas
  • A9 road, stretch Radviliškis - Šiauliai

ChrisZwolle, RipleyLV liked this post
Xmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2014, 09:50 PM   #1243
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmaster View Post
Since 11th October 2014 cars are allowed to drive at speed 120 km/h on expressways during summer season (from 1st April to 1st November). Previouly a speed limit during summer season for expressways was 110 km/h.
Expressways in Lithuania:
[*]Majority of A1 road between Vilnius and Kaunas[*]A9 road, stretch Radviliškis - Šiauliai
This is great news. Didn't know this was going to happen so soon.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 11:07 PM   #1244
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
This is great news. Didn't know this was going to happen so soon.
I forgot to mention, that speed limit for winter season is also going to be raised - from existing 100 km/h to 110 km/h.

Pansori liked this post
Old October 16th, 2014, 01:32 PM   #1245
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

I don't understand one thing: if the green signage disappears on motorways, then what is the double "motorway" sign on the LT entrance sign?

Moreover: I can't understand also if all the roadsigns will be blue? & what is the aim of such a measure?

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2014, 03:00 PM   #1246
BriedisUnIzlietne

Likes (Received): 2896

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROBIN View Post
I don't understand one thing: if the green signage disappears on motorways, then what is the double "motorway" sign on the LT entrance sign?
Probably for people to know that there are two types of signs that mean "motorway" because the green ones will be completely replaced only by 2020. That's 5 years of transition from green to blue signs.
BriedisUnIzlietne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2014, 04:10 PM   #1247
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Are they going to raise the motorway speed limit to 140 km/h as well?

It seems that right now there will be only a minimal speed difference between expressways (120) and motorways (130).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2014, 04:41 PM   #1248
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Quote:
Are they going to raise the motorway speed limit to 140 km/h as well?

It seems that right now there will be only a minimal speed difference between expressways (120) and motorways (130).
Probably not. Lithuanian motorways are substandard. I can't imagine a situation where 140km/h would be allowed on a motorway which is not compliant to common motorway standards.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2014, 07:22 PM   #1249
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Are they going to change the color of the non-motorway signs too? Or will that be a model similar to Belgium?

A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
Old October 16th, 2014, 07:49 PM   #1250
PovilD
Naudotojas

Quote:
Are they going to change the color of the non-motorway signs too? Or will that be a model similar to Belgium?
More like model of the Netherlands, I think Belgium uses green direction signs for destinations reachable by motorway in non-motorways. Lithuania will be all blue except for destinations to city districts.

Last edited by PovilD; October 16th, 2014 at 08:01 PM.
Old October 16th, 2014, 09:21 PM   #1251
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Quote:
Originally Posted by PovilD View Post
More like model of the Netherlands, I think Belgium uses green direction signs for destinations reachable by motorway in non-motorways. Lithuania will be all blue except for destinations to city districts.
And what is the aim of such reform? Because having a different signage color is the clearest way for me to know I'm on a motorway ...
Very few countries in Europe have the same signage color everywhere ...

Old October 17th, 2014, 04:18 PM   #1252
PovilD
Naudotojas

Quote:
And what is the aim of such reform? Because having a different signage color is the clearest way for me to know I'm on a motorway ...
Very few countries in Europe have the same signage color everywhere ...
Wanting the same color scheme as expressway and (maybe (and maybe the biggest reason)) new exit to destination signs dedicated for both motorways and expressways that will replace old green motorway advance sign for destinations (we'll see about it in 2015).

Last edited by PovilD; October 17th, 2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old October 17th, 2014, 04:36 PM   #1253
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:

If somebody will spot inaccuracy - feel free to write about it
I think all the roads shown in red on the Vilnius map have been completed and are now open. On the LT map, perhaps the environmental impact has been assessed for the A5 all the way to the PL border? I'm not sure.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2014, 07:56 PM   #1254
PovilD
Naudotojas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
I think all the roads shown in red on the Vilnius map have been completed and are now open. On the LT map, perhaps the environmental impact has been assessed for the A5 all the way to the PL border? I'm not sure.
No environmental impact has been assessed in this stretch. Only projecting works is going, It is known that Marijampole-Kalvarija bypass will be widened and stretch between Kalvarija and Polish border will be constructed as new route.

mcarling liked this post
Old October 18th, 2014, 06:32 PM   #1255
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
Only a tender for it was announced and the company "Kelprojektas" is implementing now an environmental impact from Marijampolė to Polish border.

mcarling liked this post
Old October 26th, 2014, 12:53 PM   #1256
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Quote:
Only a tender for it was announced and the company "Kelprojektas" is implementing now an environmental impact from Marijampolė to Polish border.
Is there an approximative schedule for decision-making on this?

Last edited by GROBIN; October 26th, 2014 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Slight grammatical mistake :)
Old October 26th, 2014, 02:23 PM   #1257
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Have there ever been plans to construct an underwater tunnel from Klaipėda to the Curonian Spit? Right now that area is only accessible via a short ferry, or via Russia.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2014, 06:19 PM   #1258
BriedisUnIzlietne

Likes (Received): 2896

Although it would be cool, is there really a need for a tunnel? Aren't all the villages on the Split tiny?

As for tourists - the ferry is quite a nice experience

mcarling, GROBIN liked this post
BriedisUnIzlietne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2014, 07:44 PM   #1259
PovilD
Naudotojas

Quote:
Have there ever been plans to construct an underwater tunnel from Klaipėda to the Curonian Spit? Right now that area is only accessible via a short ferry, or via Russia.
Yes there actually is Approximate place for tunnel.

Random article as a source: here

Last edited by PovilD; October 26th, 2014 at 11:45 PM.
Old October 26th, 2014, 11:44 PM   #1260
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Given the relatively little usage of the road, I don't really see a problem with the ferry.

Also, the tunnel would probably make the route more inviting for traffic (including heavy) to and from Kaliningrad, something I wouldn't think Lithuania would want.

GROBIN liked this post
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
lithuania, roads