daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 26th, 2014, 09:00 PM   #1281
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2265

As it turns out, two companies were involved in construction of overpass over Geležinio Vilko street, one of them is local Kauno keliai and the other one is Latvian Latvijas tilti.
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 27th, 2014, 05:18 PM   #1282
PovilD
Naudotojas

Likes (Received): 71

Yeah. And they had implied Latvian road signs some two years ago while the construction

Then the decision was to change the road signs because foreign road signs has no effect in traffic regulating in Lithuania.

RipleyLV, BriedisUnIzlietne liked this post
PovilD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2014, 09:32 PM   #1283
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

DEL

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!

Last edited by GROBIN; December 9th, 2014 at 09:20 PM.
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 09:50 PM   #1284
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Lithuanian Seimas set to approve Vilnius – Utena highway PPP project in spring 2015

A Public Private Partnership (PPP) to reconstruct the A14 Vilnius-Utena highway will be submitted to the Lithuanian Parliament for approval in spring 2015. The project will be the largest ever PPP project in the road sector in Lithuania.

(...)

The project’s scope encompasses the design and reconstruction of sections of the Vilnius-Utena highway totalling 72.1 kilometres.

(...)

The overall project, in terms of future availability payments, has a total budget of EUR 175m.
Full report: http://www.baltic-course.com/eng/transport/?doc=100290

What's the exact plan for this road? (seems to be A14). Judging from satellite imagery, the road already has a high-speed geometry. Will they build passing lanes? € 175 million for 72 kilometers seem to be too low for a complete twinning.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 10:35 PM   #1285
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

It's just a regular road upgrade/reconstruction. It won't be made 2x2. No even new viaducts or non grade separated junctions planned, only a couple of new roundabouts. It's not really needed anyway. Especially since there are viable alternative routes which are in good/adequate condition.

This is how a typical stretch of the road looks now (much of it is concrete): https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.35...dekLasCeKg!2e0

This is probably the kind of standard that it would be converted into: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.76...RkVZh0uDgg!2e0

Nothing really major except that the entire 72km stretch would be done in one go which is unusual in Lithuania.

Last edited by PLH; December 28th, 2014 at 03:43 PM.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 10:37 PM   #1286
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Too bad. I don't like roundabouts on such a high-speed road. They should build interchanges at the busiest intersections and implement passing lanes. That shouldn't have to cost a lot of money.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

GROBIN liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2014, 04:36 PM   #1287
PovilD
Naudotojas

Only this 5.1 km stretch will be widened. AADT here is about 12000, while in the other stretches there is only about from 5700 to 4700.
Old December 18th, 2014, 05:45 PM   #1288
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by PovilD View Post
Only this 5.1 km stretch will be widened.
Widened to 2x2?
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2014, 11:03 PM   #1289
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Likes (Received): 329

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
Widened to 2x2?
Yes, exactly
Xmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2014, 11:48 PM   #1290
mcarling

How does the AADT of about 12,000 on this section of A14 compare with the AADT of the combined A4/A16 between Vilnius and Lentvaris/Trakai?
Old December 19th, 2014, 01:13 PM   #1291
PovilD
Naudotojas

Quote:
How does the AADT of about 12,000 on this section of A14 compare with the AADT of the combined A4/A16 between Vilnius and Lentvaris/Trakai?
Check eismoinfo.lt/en/traffic-map then click "Additional information" and click "Vid. metinis paros eismo intensyvumas 2013 m" (3rd from top). Clickable lines should appear. VMPEI is AADT here (nothing translated in that thread )

According to that site, AADT is near 10,000 between Trakai and A4 interchange while between A19 and A4 interchanges there is more than 20,000

I know that section between Trakai and A4 interchange is planned to be widened to 2+2. Construction dates are unknown.
Old December 19th, 2014, 05:39 PM   #1292
mcarling

Quote:
I know that section between Trakai and A4 interchange is planned to be widened to 2+2. Construction dates are unknown.
How far east will it be 2+2 (I hope you meant 2x2, that is opposing directions of traffic separated by more than a paint stripe)? All the way to the interchange with the A1?
Old December 19th, 2014, 08:17 PM   #1293
PovilD
Naudotojas

Well, the section between A4 interchange and A1 interchange belongs to Vilnius city municipality and they have problems with funding (even some main streets are in bad quality), so it's not quite possible that the widening will be going in this decade or so (except if someone will invest in this stretch from private funds, e.g. someones builts a supermarket that needs a better entrance)

Yes, I meant 2x2, with a rail-guard in the middle.

mcarling liked this post

Last edited by PovilD; December 19th, 2014 at 08:24 PM.
Old December 19th, 2014, 09:52 PM   #1294
mcarling

Quote:
Well, the section between A4 interchange and A1 interchange belongs to Vilnius city municipality and they have problems with funding (even some main streets are in bad quality), so it's not quite possible that the widening will be going in this decade or so (except if someone will invest in this stretch from private funds, e.g. someones builts a supermarket that needs a better entrance).
So only the part of the A16 between Trakai and the Vilnius municipal boundary will be widened to 2x2 (initially)? The part inside the Vilnius municipal boundary (especially east of the A4/A16 interchange) is the part most in need of widening to 2x2.

GROBIN liked this post
Old December 28th, 2014, 02:27 PM   #1295
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Actually the A16 between Vilnius and Trakai is a very busy road overall. However, mcarling, in this point I agree with you: the section you mentioned should be upgraded to 2x2. They should also make a grade-separated interchange near that Maxima/Statoil. However Vilnius's finances are in a very bad shape...
About the A14: that road is rarely busy. Why do they want to invest in such roundabouts? Are Lithuanian authorities becoming fans of senseless roundabouts, like French authorities during the 2000s decade? Last time I drove to Latvia, I saw a roundabout being built near Molėtai indeed. However, a radar would have been more than sufficient.
Moreover, when I went to Poland at the beginning of this month, I noticed a brand new roundabout on the road Alytus-Lazdijai, near Miroslavas. On a section people used to drive 70km/h, they have to slow down to 0-10km/h, which makes no sense as people rarely drive out of Miroslavas and its surroundings. A radar also would've been more than enough there.
IMHO the only roundabout built these last 2 years in Lithuania that makes sense is the western Alytus one...

A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
Old December 28th, 2014, 05:12 PM   #1296
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROBIN View Post
Actually the A16 between Vilnius and Trakai is a very busy road overall. However, mcarling, in this point I agree with you: the section you mentioned should be upgraded to 2x2. They should also make a grade-separated interchange near that Maxima/Statoil. However Vilnius's finances are in a very bad shape...
About the A14: that road is rarely busy. Why do they want to invest in such roundabouts? Are Lithuanian authorities becoming fans of senseless roundabouts, like French authorities during the 2000s decade? Last time I drove to Latvia, I saw a roundabout being built near Molėtai indeed. However, a radar would have been more than sufficient.
Moreover, when I went to Poland at the beginning of this month, I noticed a brand new roundabout on the road Alytus-Lazdijai, near Miroslavas. On a section people used to drive 70km/h, they have to slow down to 0-10km/h, which makes no sense as people rarely drive out of Miroslavas and its surroundings. A radar also would've been more than enough there.
IMHO the only roundabout built these last 2 years in Lithuania that makes sense is the western Alytus one...
Grobin, I think a roundabout near Molėtai was neccessary due to a low visibility in that junction if you come to this junction from side roads.
Old December 28th, 2014, 06:14 PM   #1297
mcarling

The new roundabouts at the intersection of 133 and 180 and at the intersection of A4, 133, and 129 are needed. It was previously required to stop, now one need only slow down.
Old December 29th, 2014, 09:51 PM   #1298
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmaster View Post
Grobin, I think a roundabout near Molėtai was neccessary due to a low visibility in that junction if you come to this junction from side roads.
Wasn't it more simple to do a grade-separated crossing? Not far from Dubingiai, they did some ... sort of grade-separated crossing (not fully - unfortunately).
I believe if you have few funds, they should be spent effectively ... or not at all (saved)

Doesn't Lithuania get any EU funds for such infrastructure?

Quote:
The new roundabouts at the intersection of 133 and 180 and at the intersection of A4, 133, and 129 are needed. It was previously required to stop, now one need only slow down.
I drove last year on that intersection between A4, 133 and 129, and don't remember this roundabout. You can't see it on Google Street View (2-year-old images), but Google Maps clearly shows it. I'm not fully convinced of its utility, but this is not a part of Lithuania I drive often on.
However, I agree with you on the intersection between 133 and 180 in Leipalingis, where I drove also last year. In general, I believe roundabouts can be a big benefit in built-up areas, but not really out of them.

If you believe I'm not right on this point, then a roundabout is really badly needed over here: between A4 and 128 near Naujeji Valkininkai. It is one of the most dangerous intersections I know in Lithuania.

Last edited by GROBIN; December 29th, 2014 at 10:06 PM.
Old December 30th, 2014, 12:06 AM   #1299
mcarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROBIN View Post
If you believe I'm not right on this point, then a roundabout is really badly needed over here: between A4 and 128 near Naujeji Valkininkai. It is one of the most dangerous intersections I know in Lithuania.
I agree that this is a dangerous intersection. I'm not sure that a roundabout is the best solution, but something should be done here. It used to be much worse, when the 4704 and the westward part of the A4 were one road and the 128 and the eastward part of the A4 were one road, but that was a long time ago. The current arrangement was built during the occupation.

If there will be a roundabout, it should include the 4704.
Old December 30th, 2014, 02:11 PM   #1300
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Today a tender was announced for the last, 5.4 km long, part of western bypass of Vilnius. Works are expected to begin in April 2015

Tags
lithuania, roads