daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 30th, 2015, 10:15 PM   #1341
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1818

Thanks for the photos The road looks quite nice!

Regarding the bus stop: I personally don't have a problem with having bus stops on an expressway per se but they should be separated from the driving lanes by a physical barrier.

BTW, what are the differences between an expressway standard and a motorway standard in Lithuania?
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2015, 10:16 PM   #1342
Eunos
Lithuanian

Likes (Received): 91

A few additional shots.

2014 05 25

A9 towards Šiauliai

And A9/Kairiai bypass towards Radviliškis/Panevėžys.

A9 towards Šiauliai

2014 05 31

Same direction, slightly different spot.

2014 05 25

One to two tunnel underpasses between Radviliškis and Šiauliai. Towards Kairiai, road 4028.

noah_pl, PovilD, RipleyLV, GROBIN liked this post

Last edited by Eunos; March 31st, 2015 at 12:03 AM.
Eunos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2015, 10:48 PM   #1343
Eunos
Lithuanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
Thanks for the photos The road looks quite nice!

Regarding the bus stop: I personally don't have a problem with having bus stops on an expressway per se but they should be separated from the driving lanes by a physical barrier.
Well, in this case it is not seperated, that's the problem.

Quote:

BTW, what are the differences between an expressway standard and a motorway standard in Lithuania?
Actually, Lithuania, AFAIK, doesn't have an expressway standard. Instead, it has a I-category road standard. Funny thing is, according to that standard, you can build an expressway with 120 km/h speed limit, just like the one between Radviliškis and Šiauliai or a road with a 90 km/h speed limit and full of single level junctions .

Some factual stuff:

Expressway,I-category/Motorway. Lane width 3,5 m/3,75 m, width of hard shoulder 2,5 m/3,0 m. I am not really sure about the median width though, because I have some conflicting information and I do not want to spread disinformation .

Rebasepoiss liked this post

Last edited by Eunos; March 30th, 2015 at 11:13 PM.
Old March 31st, 2015, 12:17 AM   #1344
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Likes (Received): 329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eunos View Post
Actually, Lithuania, AFAIK, doesn't have an expressway standard. Instead, it has a I-category road standard. Funny thing is, according to that standard, you can build an expressway with 120 km/h speed limit, just like the one between Radviliškis and Šiauliai or a road with a 90 km/h speed limit and full of single level junctions .
To be precise: road with 120 km/h limit (expressway) will have a category number I and with 90 km/h category Ia. The biggest difference is that in category I you won't find any non grade separated junctions, where in Ia you could.
Requirements for lanes width:

Rebasepoiss liked this post

Last edited by Xmaster; March 31st, 2015 at 12:24 AM.
Xmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2015, 10:52 AM   #1345
Eunos
Lithuanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmaster View Post
To be precise: road with 120 km/h limit (expressway) will have a category number I and with 90 km/h category Ia. The biggest difference is that in category I you won't find any non grade separated junctions, where in Ia you could.
I think you are wrong. What about roads A12 between Šiauliai and Bubiai and A6 between Karmėlava and Jonava, who both are I category but only have a 90 km/h speed limit ?

Also, A13 betwwen Palanga and Klaipėda. They have wide hard shoulders so they are not Ia category roads. Ia category have much narrower hard shoulders.

A11 is being reconstructed between Šiauliai and Kužiai, it also will be a I category road but with traffic lights. And I think you are wrong about non grade separated junctions, single level junctions are alowed on I - category road. There are plenty of examples. They are just not allowed on expressways, that is if you decide to build an expressway and not a road with 90 km/h speed limit and full of single level junctions or roundabouts.
Old March 31st, 2015, 11:36 AM   #1346
PovilD
Naudotojas

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eunos View Post
I think you are wrong. What about roads A12 between Šiauliai and Bubiai and A6 between Karmėlava and Jonava, who both are I category but only have a 90 km/h speed limit ?

Also, A13 betwwen Palanga and Klaipėda. They have wide hard shoulders so they are not Ia category roads. Ia category have much narrower hard shoulders.

A11 is being reconstructed between Šiauliai and Kužiai, it also will be a I category road but with traffic lights. And I think you are wrong about non grade separated junctions, single level junctions are alowed on I - category road. There are plenty of examples. They are just not allowed on expressways, that is if you decide to build an expressway and not a road with 90 km/h speed limit and full of single level junctions or roundabouts.
Kaunas northern bypass even has AM category (motorway configuration) and limited to 80 km/h (90 km/h at night). And I agree that I category road should be nothing but expressway and without traffic-lights. Good example is Estonia, where all new I category roads are grade-seperated.
PovilD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2015, 01:27 PM   #1347
Rebasepoiss

The Estonian law actually says that I class road junctions should be mostly grade separated but not always. In practice, though, all of the new I class roads are totally grade-separated (including those that are planned but not yet built).

The project speed can vary, though. Whereas the 2x2 sections on Tallinn-Tartu highway have been built with a project speed of 120 km/h, the 2x2 sections on Tallinn bypass have a project speed of 100 km/h.

You have to remember, though, that Estonia has no roads with a motorway standard and none are being planned so that may be the reason why I class roads are being built to a higher standard over here - for us this is highest road class actually used.

We don't even have an expressway sign in our traffic law but that should really be changed IMO.
Old March 31st, 2015, 01:37 PM   #1348
PovilD
Naudotojas

Quote:
The Estonian law actually says that I class road junctions should be mostly grade separated but not always. In practice, though, all of the new I class roads are totally grade-separated (including those that are planned but not yet built).

The project speed can vary, though. Whereas the 2x2 sections on Tallinn-Tartu highway have been built with a project speed of 120 km/h, the 2x2 sections on Tallinn bypass have a project speed of 100 km/h.

You have to remember, though, that Estonia has no roads with a motorway standard and none are being planned so that may be the reason why I class roads are being built to a higher standard over here - for us this is highest road class actually used.

We don't even have an expressway sign in our traffic law but that should really be changed IMO.
I think that you should use the motorway sign for marking the road is a dual-carriegeway for motor vehicles only, just like in Sweden, where all grade-seperated dual-carriegeways are marked as motorways.

And I think that Lithuania should also make I category roads higher standard and mark them as motorways, because AM category somewhat duplicates with I category. Expressway signs could be placed on be grade-seperated 1+1 or 1+2 roads only. Or teach me, about the difference between 3,5 m and 3,75 m width lanes.

Last edited by PovilD; March 31st, 2015 at 01:46 PM.
Old March 31st, 2015, 03:05 PM   #1349
Rebasepoiss

Of course they should. The differences between a motorway standard and a I class standard are extremely small in Estonia. The only noticeable difference is a wider hard shoulder: 2.5m vs 3m. Even the lanes are the same width

IMO, they should just rename the I class standards as motorway standards and be done with it. The target AADT for motorways is ridiculously high in Estonia: 40,000 which is never going to happen over here. It's like the government decided that we should never ever have motorways. Sure, the older dual carriageways shouldn't be signed as motorways because they have U-turns, local access etc but at least the new ones should.

It seems that Lithuania has a similar problem to Poland where there are motorways and 2x2 expressways but the differences are very small in reality which only creates confusion for people. The point about Sweden is very good: they have one of the best traffic safety records in the world yet they have some motorways that wouldn't even qualifiy as a I class/category road in Estonia or Lithuania.

Last edited by Rebasepoiss; March 31st, 2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old March 31st, 2015, 03:24 PM   #1350
PovilD
Naudotojas

Quote:
It seems that Lithuania has a similar problem to Poland where there are motorways and 2x2 expressways but the differences are very small in reality which only creates confusion for people.
Yeah, but the idea is that Polish autostrady are toll roads and serve as major international corridors. Excluding A6 and A8 that serve as bypasses for major cities, but could be possibly tolled.
Old April 16th, 2015, 11:05 PM   #1351
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Some news from Lithuania:
Vilnius Western bypass. 3rd stage
Works were supposed to be started by the end of April. However Latvian company "Latvijas tilti", which didn't pariticipate in a tedner, went to a court and claims, that a tender was kind of not transparent. As a result - now works will be postponed, however no ideas how long.

Road no. 102 Vilnius - Švenčionys - Ignalina - Zarasai
5.4 km long stretch will be reconstructed. Main purpose is to convert existing 1x2 road to a 2x2 lanes. The road will be ordinary dual carriageway, without expressway or motorway status.
Here is a map of the stretch:

And some photos of preparation works. Trees are cut for some space for a dual carriageway, curves are going to be straighten.
Photos made by Romas from ************

Bypass of Palanga (road A13)
The bypass is almost ready and is proposed to be opened at the beginning of May
Few pics from Lithuanian roads administration website www.lakd.lt

simondanut, RipleyLV, Corvinus liked this post
Old May 14th, 2015, 04:31 PM   #1352
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

Quote:
Lithuanian road administration says, that first works in Via Baltica (road A5) between Kaunas and Marijampolė will start in the second half of April. Works will be implemented in 5 km stretch (just after Kaunas) mostly upgrading current short 2x2 to a motorway standard. In summer a tender for an upgrade of 10 km stretch near Kazlų Rūda town shall be announced. They say that whole Kaunas - Marijampolė stretch is expected to be finished until 2017.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PovilD View Post
A5: Garliava – Mauručiai 6km (Spring 2015 to 2016) [1st c/w] – project (can't found quickly) – map

The road will get motorway configuration and the second carriegeway should be reconstructed after 2017 to get motorway status. I think it should be added when the works will start.
Have works been started meanwhile? (more than clearance works)

Is there a project page? What's the exact length, 5 or 6km?

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 07:27 PM   #1353
Eunos
Lithuanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Have works been started meanwhile? (more than clearance works)

Is there a project page? What's the exact length, 5 or 6km?
Works (of any kind) are yet to begin, stretch is 6.06 km long. If by a project page you mean a website dedicated to this reconstruction, AFAIK, no such thing exits.

MichiH liked this post
Old June 8th, 2015, 08:56 PM   #1354
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Some refurbishment on A11 road 2x2 stretch between Šiauliai and Kuršėnai.
The stretch is 11 km long.

For the beginning - a picture to see why refurbishment was necessary. Some parts didn't have a proper service lane and the quality of tarmac wasn't satisfactory.
Picture (c) Xedos, Source

Most updated photos (c) Dariukas, Source
Some parts are already refurbished

BriedisUnIzlietne, RipleyLV, Pansori liked this post
Old June 8th, 2015, 09:17 PM   #1355
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Some updates about major projects.
Most projects are delayed due to legal procedures regarding public tenders. Latvian company "Latvijas tilti" and Lithuanian company "Kauno keliai" are sueing Public Tenders commision and other institutions due to not transparent decisions.
Short summary:
  • 3rd stage of western bypass of Vilnius - waiting for findings of court regarding public tender. Works could start just after positive outcomes of court.
  • 1st stage of "Via Baltica" road A5, between Kaunas and Marijampolė, 6 km long stretch between Garliava-Mauručiai. Waiting for results from court regarding public tender.
  • 2nd stage of "Via Baltica" road A5, between Kaunas and Marijampolė, 10 km stretch reconstruction to 2x2 motorway. Technical specifications were announced few weeks ago, Roads Administration expects to announce a tender for works until the end of June.
  • A1 expressway between Vilnius - Kaunas has 2 projects on hold. Building of 2 new 2 level junctions near Žiežmariai and Moluvėnai. The story the same - waiting for results from a court regarding procedures of public tender.
  • A14 road between Vilnius and Utena. Our parliament should come up with a final decision about an option to refurbish whole stretch (approx 60 km) with PPP. If decision will be made - works should start next year.

To sum up - if legal procedures would be finished successfully, there would be pretty much a lot of improvements going on in Lithuanian roads network.
Old June 8th, 2015, 09:42 PM   #1356
PovilD
Naudotojas

Quote:
Some updates about major projects.
Most projects are delayed due to legal procedures regarding public tenders. Latvian company "Latvijas tilti" and Lithuanian company "Kauno keliai" are sueing Public Tenders commision and other institutions due to not transparent decisions.
Short summary:
  • 3rd stage of western bypass of Vilnius - waiting for findings of court regarding public tender. Works could start just after positive outcomes of court.
  • 1st stage of "Via Baltica" road A5, between Kaunas and Marijampolė, 6 km long stretch between Garliava-Mauručiai. Waiting for results from court regarding public tender.
  • 2nd stage of "Via Baltica" road A5, between Kaunas and Marijampolė, 10 km stretch reconstruction to 2x2 motorway. Technical specifications were announced few weeks ago, Roads Administration expects to announce a tender for works until the end of June.
  • A1 expressway between Vilnius - Kaunas has 2 projects on hold. Building of 2 new 2 level junctions near Žiežmariai and Moluvėnai. The story the same - waiting for results from a court regarding procedures of public tender.
  • A14 road between Vilnius and Utena. Our parliament should come up with a final decision about an option to refurbish whole stretch (approx 60 km) with PPP. If decision will be made - works should start next year.

To sum up - if legal procedures would be finished successfully, there would be pretty much a lot of improvements going on in Lithuanian roads network.
Waiting for Kaunas northern bypass reconstruction too Full three-lane expressway standard highway passing just through your neighourhood
Old June 8th, 2015, 10:04 PM   #1357
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PovilD View Post
Waiting for Kaunas northern bypass reconstruction too Full three-lane expressway standard highway passing just through your neighourhood
No sooner than 2018 But waiting this project for sure
Old June 14th, 2015, 09:33 PM   #1358
Eunos
Lithuanian

Some photos of A11 rekonstruction.

Old June 14th, 2015, 09:33 PM   #1359
Eunos
Lithuanian