daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 5th, 2016, 10:19 PM   #1441
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1673

Its cool to see the investment in highways and also railways in Lithuania though. Everything is fairly modern looking even if not built to a huge scale. I think at the end of the day the fact the country only has 3 million people is an important thing to consider. It's hard to imagine any city of 3 million people having a similar infrastructure burden as an entire country, even a small one.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

Sentilj liked this post
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 6th, 2016, 07:46 PM   #1442
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Likes (Received): 329

According to statistics, there were less fatalities on Lithuanian roads during 2015. Seems, that safety on roads is improving.
Some statistics (number in brackets indicates percentage deviation from 2014 numbers):
Number of accidents: 3161 (-2,9%)
Number of fatalities: 241 (-9,7%)
number of wounded: 3777 (-0,2%)

Gytaz, RipleyLV liked this post
Xmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2016, 09:33 PM   #1443
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2262

Are there any new pictures of the A5 upgrade? At Easter time I'll be passing there by bus during the night, so won't see any construction. But I'm guessing the winter break is still active though.
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2016, 11:20 PM   #1444
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipleyLV View Post
Are there any new pictures of the A5 upgrade? At Easter time I'll be passing there by bus during the night, so won't see any construction. But I'm guessing the winter break is still active though.
Not much of updates available. Some people passing the stretch, which is under construction, reports no activity like a winter break. Strange to hear, because temperatures are above 0 and works in Vilnius western bypass are already 2 weeks in progress.
Old March 9th, 2016, 07:42 PM   #1445
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2262

Okay, well. As I heard for now works are on Garliava-Mauručiai segment, the rest to Marijampolė should start this year? Is that correct info?
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2016, 12:17 AM   #1446
PovilD
Naudotojas

Likes (Received): 71

Looks like Vilnius is prepared to start the reconstruction of the existing 1+1 stretch of Nemenčinės pl. to 2+2
Lighting and five new traffic lights will be included in the stretch

The main project is to connect Vilnius with Nemenčinė by 2+2 road. The road belongs to two different institutions - LAKD (Lithuanian road administration) and Vilnius city municipality. LAKD has already started reconstruction from Miškonys (municipal boundary of Vilnius) to Nemenčinė.

Last edited by PovilD; March 12th, 2016 at 12:26 AM.
PovilD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2016, 01:51 AM   #1447
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipleyLV View Post
Okay, well. As I heard for now works are on Garliava-Mauručiai segment, the rest to Marijampolė should start this year? Is that correct info?
Wait, wait, the A5 is being upgraded to Marijampole?

I wonder if we won't see a concentrated push from the EU to get more of the Via Baltica upgraded after this - I'd love to see 2x2 to Panevezys from Kaunas at least.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2016, 02:45 AM   #1448
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by PovilD View Post
Lighting and five new traffic lights will be included in the stretch
Oh no! That will make the Vilnius Nemenčinė drive even slower than it is now. They should have chosen roundabouts rather than traffic lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Wait, wait, the A5 is being upgraded to Marijampole?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
I wonder if we won't see a concentrated push from the EU to get more of the Via Baltica upgraded after this - I'd love to see 2x2 to Panevezys from Kaunas at least.
Upgrading the A5 from Kaunas to Panevezys and from Marijampole to the PL border are possibilities for the 2020-27 EU funding cycle. I cannot think of other road project that LT could ask the EU to fund that would be as well-received in Brussels.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2016, 06:05 PM   #1449
PovilD
Naudotojas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
Oh no! That will make the Vilnius Nemenčinė drive even slower than it is now. They should have chosen roundabouts rather than traffic lights.
Well, it's technically a city street

I think those traffic lights are for pedestrian safety also, while Turbo roundabouts with pedestrian over/underpasses is more expensive solution. Btw, traffic lights will serve "streets" with minor traffic, and if some sort of green corridor will be implied, the general driving speed should not drop or could be even increased

Quote:
Upgrading the A5 from Kaunas to Panevezys and from Marijampole to the PL border are possibilities for the 2020-27 EU funding cycle. I cannot think of other road project that LT could ask the EU to fund that would be as well-received in Brussels.
I think Panevė˛ys-Pasvalis should have a higher priority when Kaunas-Suwalki motorway will be finished, because AADT in this stretch is almost as high as in Kaunas-Marijampolė stretch. Kaunas-Panevė˛ys is already planned for making some sections 1+2.
Old March 15th, 2016, 06:22 PM   #1450
Hanno1983

Likes (Received): 2

Road trip to eastern Latvia (Latgale)

I'll go from Germany to Rezekne in eastern Latvia (Latgale region) this summer.
There are two options for me instead of driving via Poland:
1. Using ferry from Kiel to Klaipeda and then A1 to Kaunas, then A6 (LT)/A13 (LV) via Daugavpils to Rezekne.
2. Using ferry from Travemünde to Ventspils and then A10 to Riga, then A6 and A12 to Rezekne.
The route via Lithuania is ca. 100 km longer. But am I right that it is faster to drive than the Latvian route via Ventspils and Riga?
I remember that road conditions in Lithuania were much better than in Latvia in 2003. Is it still the same today?

Last edited by Hanno1983; March 16th, 2016 at 08:32 PM.
Hanno1983 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2016, 08:59 PM   #1451
PovilD
Naudotojas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno1983 View Post
1. Using ferry from Kiel to Klaipeda and then A1 to Kaunas, then A6 (LT)/A13 (LV) via Daugavpils to Rezekne.
2. Using ferry from Kiel to Ventspils and then A10 to Riga, then A6 and A12 to Rezekne.
The route via Lithuania is ca. 100 km longer. But am I right that it is faster to drive than the Latvian route via Ventspils and Riga?
I remember that road conditions in Lithuania were much better than in Latvia in 2003. Is it still the same today?
Well road conditions in Latvia are much better than in 2003. Talking about the route in Latvia: some short sections may have bad conditions, some are in repaving process, but it's generally a good road I think Ventspils-Rezekne is much faster than Klaipėda-Rezekne road, although it include faster sections and general road conditions are slighty better.
Old March 15th, 2016, 10:19 PM   #1452
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno1983 View Post
2. Using ferry from Kiel to Ventspils and then A10 to Riga, then A6 and A12 to Rezekne.
If I were you, I would also evaluate duration of a ferry trip. Probably a ferry to Klaipėda should be a bit quicker (correct if I'm wrong), because it is closer to Kiel. Therefore overall you should come to Razekne quicker by taking a ferry to Klaipėda and then driving via Kaunas and Daugavpils to Razekne. During summer time you can drive 130 km/h in Klaipėda - Kaunas segment. All the way from Kaunas to Latvian border (A6 road) is in a very good condition, because many segments have been renovated recently.
Old March 16th, 2016, 07:43 PM   #1453
Hanno1983

Likes (Received): 2

That's right, Kiel-Klaipeda is faster than Travemünde-Ventspils.
How much time should I plan for Klaipeda-Kaunas-Daugavpils-Rezekne?

Last edited by Hanno1983; March 16th, 2016 at 08:31 PM.
Hanno1983 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2016, 08:57 PM   #1454
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Let's break some silence in this thread with some good news.
1) Finally a contract was signed for Via Baltica road, segment Kaunas-Marijampolė, between 35,40 and 45,15 km. So almost 10 kilometers stretch will become a 2x2 motorway standard road

2) Bootsy from ************/forum posted some pics regarding current works on Via Baltica road 4 kilometers stretch between 17 and 21 km.
Widening and repavement:

New viaduct over railway is being built

3) Work are going on also on Western bypass of Vilnius. Vytautas_LT from ************/forum posted some good pics
[IMG]http://www.************/forumas/attachment.php?attachmentid=7288&d=1460955746[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.************/forumas/attachment.php?attachmentid=7291&d=1460955746[/IMG]

Here a bypass will pass over Pavilnionių street
[IMG]http://www.************/forumas/attachment.php?attachmentid=7296&d=1460955816[/IMG]

Here, close to A2 road, a bypass is still a bit mess
[IMG]http://www.************/forumas/attachment.php?attachmentid=7286&d=1460955746[/IMG]

Here a 2nd stage of bypass ends and works started fro a 3rd stage. Pic (c) dainauskas from ************/forum

tomczu, makaveli6, Shenkey, Pansori, GROBIN liked this post

Last edited by Xmaster; April 18th, 2016 at 09:02 PM.
Old April 18th, 2016, 09:05 PM   #1455
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Thanks for the good news Xmaster!

On the topic of the Via Baltica, are there estimated completion dates for upgrading to motorway standards:
- the A5 between Kaunas and Marijampolė?
- the A5 between Marijampolė and the LT/PL border?
- the A8 between Kaunas and Panevėžys?
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2016, 11:03 PM   #1456
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Some more information about 10 km segment reconstruction to a 2x2 motorway on Via Baltica (A5 road Kaunas - Marijampolė, from 35,40 to45,15 km). The contract is 29 million EUR worth, works are expeced to be finished until 31st December 2017.
I've marked this segment on a map below (red color)

A week ago, user Soprano from ************/forum posted a video with some parts of a construction of Vilnius western bypass

PovilD, Pansori, mcarling liked this post
Old April 28th, 2016, 11:36 PM   #1457
PovilD
Naudotojas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmaster View Post
Some more information about 10 km segment reconstruction to a 2x2 motorway on Via Baltica (A5 road Kaunas - Marijampolė, from 35,40 to45,15 km). The contract is 29 million EUR worth, works are expeced to be finished until 31st December 2017.
I've marked this segment on a map below (red color)
First motorway (that will be signed as such) under-construction from 1990s

BriedisUnIzlietne liked this post
Old April 29th, 2016, 09:49 PM   #1458
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Last night there have been pedestrian bridge installation works on A2 motorway near Ukmergė town. Traffic on motorway was closed for 3 hours during the night, while pedestrian bridge was mounted.Source of pictures

Old April 29th, 2016, 09:57 PM   #1459
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Quote:
Thanks for the good news Xmaster!

On the topic of the Via Baltica, are there estimated completion dates for upgrading to motorway standards:
- the A5 between Kaunas and Marijampolė?
- the A5 between Marijampolė and the LT/PL border?
- the A8 between Kaunas and Panevėžys?
Regarding this source A5 between Kaunas and Marijampolė should be finished in 2018.

The A5 between Marijampolė and the LT/PL border is now in Environmental Impact Assessment with a deadline of October 2016. So probably at least 5 years after it for construction works to start (that's my guess).

No idea about A8 Kaunas and Panevėžys. There were few articles sometime ago, that this section will become 2+1 first.

mcarling liked this post

Last edited by Xmaster; May 1st, 2016 at 11:18 PM.
Old May 6th, 2016, 10:20 PM   #1460
Xmaster
Lithuanian

First layer of asphalt on Western bypass of Vilnius U/C part.
Thanks M1gdas from ************ forum for pictures

Tags
lithuania, roads