daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 10th, 2016, 09:05 PM   #1501
Eunos
Lithuanian

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriedisUnIzlietne View Post
Why have they left room on one side? Future local traffic lanes?
No, in that area, few meters underground, lie high-voltage lines, that used to be above ground.

BriedisUnIzlietne liked this post
Eunos no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 10th, 2016, 09:09 PM   #1502
BriedisUnIzlietne

Likes (Received): 2899

Ah, thank you very much!

And we've finally reached a new page! One can freely post pictures again

makaveli6 liked this post
BriedisUnIzlietne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2016, 11:33 AM   #1503
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

For those coming to Lithuania in 2017: beware! Most fines are increasing. €uroinflation?
The only good news is that you won't get fined for exceeding by 5km/h the speed limit.

Speeding:
- 10-20km/h: 12-30 EUR (currently 11-28 EUR)
- 20-30km/h: 30-90 EUR (currently 28-86 EUR)
- 30-40km/h: 120-170 EUR (currently 115-173 EUR)
- 40-50km/h: 170-230 EUR (currently 173-231 EUR), and driver's license taken away for 6-12 months.
- Over 50km/h: driver's license taken away for 12-18 months.

For bus, motorcycle and truck drivers, for driving 30-40km/h above the speed limit, the driver's license will be taken for 3-6 months.

- For driving through despite having a red light: 60-90 EUR (currently 28-86 EUR). Be very careful with this, especially driving in Vilnius (cameras & dashcams getting more & more common).
- Driving through a sidewalk, bike path, lawn; stopping in places where it is forbidden, U-turns where not allowed, etc. will cost you 30-90 EUR (currently 28-86 EUR)
- Unsafe maneuvering: 60-90 EUR (currently 28-43 EUR). You can also lose your driver's license. Applicable for: not giving way when indicated, changing lanes, changing directions where not allowed, turning around on railways or in places where the visibility is less than 100meters.

(article in Lithuanian)

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2016, 12:44 PM   #1504
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Speeding fines in Estonia are at least 3 times that
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2016, 09:00 PM   #1505
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
Speeding fines in Estonia are at least 3 times that
The Scandinavian way of life? Big fines, no pleasure from driving relaxed
Long time I haven't been to Estonia (2003) so I have no clue how it is right now with all radars and so one over there

A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
Old December 13th, 2016, 09:40 PM   #1506
Rebasepoiss

There aren't really that many speed cameras in Estonia and you have an app for that now Besides, fines for speed cameras are calculated on a different basis (€3 per every km/h over the limit).

However, if you're stopped by the police you can run up a big fine quite quickly. E.g. 11-20 km/h over the limit is €64-€96.

Fortunately, the police usually don't stop you if you are going less than 10 km/h over the limit.

But this is getting OT Back to Lithuanian highways.

GROBIN liked this post
Old December 18th, 2016, 07:34 PM   #1507
Eunos
Lithuanian

Likes (Received): 91

Vilnius western bypass at night. Two days to go.

GROBIN, tomczu, Xmaster, makaveli6, BJane and 6 others liked this post
Eunos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2016, 01:27 PM   #1508
naujininkai

Likes (Received): 195

Today Vilnius western bypass is officially open !!!! Photos
Old December 20th, 2016, 11:15 PM   #1509
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

It is signed as A2/A14.

Shouldn't they introduce a separate A-number for this road? Like A17 around Panevėžys or A18 around Šiauliai.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

pai nosso, Luki_SL, DJaCoNdA liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2016, 11:59 PM   #1510
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It is signed as A2/A14.

http://i.imgur.com/h07IrC3.jpg
It's not signed as A2/A14. The sign* means that it leads to A2/A14 which is indeed the case.

* road number sign with a dashed line on edges means direction to that road

Using such signs is bit confusing and not a good practice in my opinion.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2016, 12:32 AM   #1511
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Mmm, it's not easy to spot from a distance. It's not an uncommon concept in Europe (though apparently more a thing of Central/Eastern Europe than Western Europe).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2016, 03:00 AM   #1512
Rebasepoiss

Norway, Sweden, Finland, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania all use it so it's pretty much ubiquitous in this part of Europe.

RipleyLV, BriedisUnIzlietne, GROBIN liked this post
Old December 23rd, 2016, 04:42 PM   #1513
BriedisUnIzlietne

Likes (Received): 2899

I must admit that for me it took a year or so to figure out what the sign means
BriedisUnIzlietne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2016, 05:51 PM   #1514
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Likes (Received): 329

Welcome 2017

As the year 2016 has only 1 day left, it would be nice to summarize what important road improvements have been done this year:
  • In May 2016 construction works started on A5 road Kaunas-Marijampolė (Via Baltica), segment between 35,40 and 45,15 km. The road is going to be reconstructed to 2x2 motorway. Link
  • In July 5 km segment on road no. 102 Vilnius-Nemenčinė was finished. Reconstruction from single to dual carriageway. Link
  • In September 2016 6 km long segment on A5 road Kaunas-Marijampolė was finished to reconstruct. Works included ~1 km of new 2x2 road, the rest were repavement and making connecting roads to avoid local traffic on a segment. Link Youtube movie of whole proccess
  • In November works started on A1 road Vilnius-Kaunas in Grigiškės town. Works include building connecting roads for a local traffic, connecting them to a recently made underpass near river. Link
  • At the end of year 2 junctions on A1 road Vilnius-Kaunas have been reconstructed and grade separated. Dangerous 1 level U-Turn near Žiežmariai was removed. Link. Near Molūvėnai, new junction was built Link
  • And finally - the biggest opening this year in December - 5,4 km log 3rd stage of western bypass of Vilnius. Partly it is 2x3, partly 2x2. Youtube video of whole construction proccess

Main events for 2017
  • In July 10 km of new motorway shall be opened in A5 road Kaunas-Marijampolė, segment from 35,40 to 45,15 km.
  • A tender for 2x2 motorway construction works in A5 road Kaunas-Marijampolė shall be announced. Segment from 45,15 iki 56,83 km.
  • Works shall start on A17 road, bypass of Panevėžys, segment from 0 to 10,53 km. ~2 km segment will be reconstructed from single to dual carriageway, the rest to 2+1 configuration road.
  • On September construction works on A1 road Vilnius-Kaunas in Grigiškės town shall be finished. This will also mean, that the last 1 level U-turn in Vilnius-Kaunas segment will be removed and the road safety will meet high standards.
  • I believe more news about other works will come in Q1 2017.

Have a great New Years Eve guys! Was pleasure to communicate with you in 2016 and hope more great projects and pictures to be discussed in 2017

Last edited by Xmaster; December 30th, 2016 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Additional Youtube link
Xmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2017, 09:19 PM   #1515
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

The Vilnius Western bypass with a bit of Vilnius-Panevėžys motorway. Between Lazdynai and Bukiškis, U-turn, and next the new Justiniškės exit.
(see route)

Xmaster liked this post

Last edited by GROBIN; January 11th, 2017 at 11:01 AM.
Old January 30th, 2017, 02:23 AM   #1516
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Can we call this a Schrödinger motorway? A section that simultaneously is and is not a motorway?

https://www.google.fi/maps/@55.55324...7i13312!8i6656

The picture is from a gravel road (that only has a short asphalted section around this intersection), that seems to continue towards the horizon: but in order to drive through from here, one needs to turn right, make a u-turn and then turn right again. When doing so, one must drive a short section along the Panevezys-Vilnius road that is signposted as a motorway in both of its endpoints.

However, when driving through here, one does not encounter a "motorway begins" sign. That sign is only seen after the u-turn point, for those continuing towards Panevezys or Vilnius.

On the other hand, when driving along the main road – which is, as mentioned, signposted as motorway – into this very same intersection, one does not encounter a "motorway ends" sign either.

So which is it? For instance, are bicycles and tractors allowed when going through here? If they are not allowed, which is the sign that actually bans them? And if they are allowed, isn't that an unpleasant and possibly dangerous surprise for those already on the main road, believing that to be a motorway?

Rebasepoiss liked this post

Last edited by OulaL; January 30th, 2017 at 02:29 AM.
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2017, 03:13 AM   #1517
rakcancer

Likes (Received): 1170

This isn't definitely a motorway according to european standards.... Google maps shows it as a motorway but this is different story. Google maps doesn't keep consistency across Europe. What is called and showed as motorway in one country in other would be just regular dual carriageway with same level intersection and u-turns and that how it should be called that road above.

GROBIN liked this post

Last edited by rakcancer; January 30th, 2017 at 03:18 AM.
rakcancer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2017, 03:25 AM   #1518
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakcancer View Post
This isn't definitely a motorway according to european standards.... Google maps shows it as a motorway but this is different story. Google maps doesn't keep consistency across Europe. What is called and showed as motorway in one country in other would be just regular dual carriageway with same level intersection and u-turns and that how it should be called that road above.
I agree, and I wouldn't call it a motorway only because Google Maps tells me so, but because I have seen the "motorway begins" sign when leaving Panevezys with my own eyes.

GROBIN liked this post
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2017, 12:52 PM   #1519
PovilD
Naudotojas

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
Can we call this a Schrödinger motorway? A section that simultaneously is and is not a motorway?

https://www.google.fi/maps/@55.55324...7i13312!8i6656

The picture is from a gravel road (that only has a short asphalted section around this intersection), that seems to continue towards the horizon: but in order to drive through from here, one needs to turn right, make a u-turn and then turn right again. When doing so, one must drive a short section along the Panevezys-Vilnius road that is signposted as a motorway in both of its endpoints.

However, when driving through here, one does not encounter a "motorway begins" sign. That sign is only seen after the u-turn point, for those continuing towards Panevezys or Vilnius.

On the other hand, when driving along the main road – which is, as mentioned, signposted as motorway – into this very same intersection, one does not encounter a "motorway ends" sign either.

So which is it? For instance, are bicycles and tractors allowed when going through here? If they are not allowed, which is the sign that actually bans them? And if they are allowed, isn't that an unpleasant and possibly dangerous surprise for those already on the main road, believing that to be a motorway?
Well, due to the pre-2012 standards motorway signs are signed much as regular speed limit signs with extra more or less recommendatory requierments for pedestrians and slow transport to leave the section. Motorway end signs only approached near the end of the motorways near the bigger cities. Now, all motorways are signposted European-way with motorway begin and motorway end signs at the junctions, but pedestrians and slow transport, as I know, are not enforced from using the motorway (mainly, because of the bus stops and lack of the good road network near such roads). This makes an idea that pre-2000s motorways should not signposted as ones, except for some sections in Vilnius-Kaunas-Klaipėda highway. In general - some sort of Third World-style problem that should be somehow fixed

In this section near Panevėžys, as I saw recently, motorway begin and motorway ends signs are signposted at the entering places to the 2+2 road, making illegal (according to the traffic code) to enter the A2 road for non-motorway users.
PovilD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2017, 05:46 PM   #1520
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Exactly the same on the Vilnius-Panevėžys motorway as on the Vilnius-Kaunas expressway. There are expressway-end signs and a few hundred meters later expressway-beginning signs. Perhaps it is clearer than single "70" speed-limit signs.
Anyway, as you said PovilD, it should be fixed. Can't somehow EU-money be used for this? They have been doing such things recently on the Vilnius-Kaunas expressway.

Tags
lithuania, roads