daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 7th, 2014, 07:33 PM   #2181
zwamborn

Likes (Received): 19833

an older pic by wuboy

Sponsored Links
Old April 8th, 2014, 03:33 PM   #2182
hightower1
power of tower

Likes (Received): 80

Blade Runner

Kanto, Ivanator, DannyFangles, b.rhow liked this post
hightower1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 10:19 PM   #2183
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28342

Awesome. I love that boulevard. Very good urban planning.

Ivanator liked this post
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2014, 05:35 AM   #2184
bigreach
GF 117 #1, Lotte Tower #2

Likes (Received): 739

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munwon View Post
This would be the "photo of the Year" in my eye's if somehow canton Tower was in
Old April 10th, 2014, 03:53 PM   #2185
tinyslam

Likes (Received): 893

I think it was taken from the Canton Tower

bigreach liked this post
tinyslam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2014, 08:58 PM   #2186
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28342

It must have.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 07:54 AM   #2187
bigreach

Canton " The most Impressive of all "towers" looks Incredibly Tall"! To think CTF's roof is just 60 or so meters short of it's pinnacle< that's just mind-boggling!

Ivanator liked this post
bigreach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 12:11 PM   #2188
jhalsey

Likes (Received): 183

Stunning picture, with clouds in the background.
jhalsey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 06:36 AM   #2189
bigreach

For some "stupid" reason I watch the Amazing Race, on U.S. Television,, I saw 3 episodes with Guangzhou. It look's like the most beautiful and cleanest major cities I've ever seen!

xXFallenXx, Ivanator liked this post
bigreach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 02:44 PM   #2190
VRS

Likes (Received): 11525

this Guangzhou city its no.3 for the biggest city in China? *after HK n Shanghai ??

bigreach liked this post
VRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 02:51 PM   #2191
lowenmeister

Likes (Received): 3420

Its traditionally considered as Chinas third city after Shanghai and Beijing. Guangzhous continually urbanized area is larger than both though with some 40-50 million inhabitants,overtaking Tokyo as the worlds largest urbanized area.

Ivanator liked this post
lowenmeister no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 03:35 PM   #2192
Ivanator
El Psy Congroo

Likes (Received): 482

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowenmeister View Post
Its traditionally considered as Chinas third city after Shanghai and Beijing. Guangzhous continually urbanized area is larger than both though with some 40-50 million inhabitants,overtaking Tokyo as the worlds largest urbanized area.
Ah, finally, someone else who recognises this fact .
Old April 15th, 2014, 06:16 PM   #2193
Blue Flame
Get Silly!

Likes (Received): 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowenmeister
Doesn't Chongqing have the largest continually urbanized area in China? I was under the impression that the urban area there was near 45 million people.
Old April 15th, 2014, 06:32 PM   #2194
lowenmeister

Likes (Received): 3420

No,Chongqing "city" is larger than Austria and has a majority rural population. The city part of Chongqing has somewhere around 7-10 million inhabitants. The confusion of over what constitutes a city in China is attributed to the (mis)translation of the chinese word for Sub-provincial city. A sub-provincial city almost always includes vast rural hinterlands, a more accurate translation would be county.

Last edited by lowenmeister; April 15th, 2014 at 06:42 PM.
lowenmeister no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 06:39 PM   #2195
Ivanator
El Psy Congroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Flame View Post
Doesn't Chongqing have the largest continually urbanized area in China? I was under the impression that the urban area there was near 45 million people.
That is the common impression, but I believe that figure includes all people within the Province-level Municipality of Chongqing, which is not a single urbanized region. Although not generally considered as being part of Guangzhou, the (continuous) urban, built-up area surrounding it surpasses that of Chongqing in terms of population, I believe. Furthermore, if one is to count the Pearl River Delta Megacity, which includes the likes of Shenzhen and Dongguan, then it is the largest city in the world, with well over 40 million inhabitants (some figures even go up to the likes of 60-80 million).

I could be wrong though, as it is almost impossible to measure the 'true' population of cities, and it entirely depends on your definition of 'city'.
Ivanator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 11:59 PM   #2196
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6863

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanator View Post
That is the common impression, but I believe that figure includes all people within the Province-level Municipality of Chongqing, which is not a single urbanized region. Although not generally considered as being part of Guangzhou, the (continuous) urban, built-up area surrounding it surpasses that of Chongqing in terms of population, I believe. Furthermore, if one is to count the Pearl River Delta Megacity, which includes the likes of Shenzhen and Dongguan, then it is the largest city in the world, with well over 40 million inhabitants (some figures even go up to the likes of 60-80 million).

I could be wrong though, as it is almost impossible to measure the 'true' population of cities, and it entirely depends on your definition of 'city'.
The 30+ million figure is that of Chongqing municipality which has area of 82,403 km2 and is comparable to Austria in that respect. Density of around 360 people per km2 which is similar to countries such as Japan or Belgium. Therefore it is by no means a city as such. Most of that is countryside including farmlands.

Pearl River Delta on the other hand is a different story. Combined land area of Shenzhen, Dongguan, Guangzhou, Foshan, Zhongshan and Zhuhai is around 18700km2. Combined population of those cities is around 40 million and they do form a more or less continuous urban area for large part.
Population density stands roughly at 2140 poeple per km2.
This is less dense than major and fairly densely populated cities such as London or Madrid, but more dense than less densely populated cities such as Oslo (660 per km2).

Also keep in mind that much of Guangzhou is actually countryside. If we count the actual urban area around the delta the density would probably be well over 3500 people per square km.

The only other urban area in the world which can possibly match that is the vast urban area of Tokyo. Chongqing does not play in the same league and not even in the league below it. It sometimes has its name mentioned in this context only because of the odd way that China is naming its administrative areas.

Last edited by Pansori; April 16th, 2014 at 12:52 AM.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 03:37 AM   #2197
Bannor

Likes (Received): 107

I agree with most, although I have some inputs:

- The Kanto region in Japan is defined as high as 40 million by some accounts, and is generally seen as the largest metro on earth because it is so well built out with few natural obstacles like hills and forests in between the centers.

- The Perl River area is by some accounts as much as 60-70 million people when including Hong Kong/Macau/Zhuhai

- The question is more that when you define The Perl River Megacity with a population of 60 million people, then you have a definition problem regarding the Yangtze Megacity (Shanghai, Suzhou, Wuxi, Changzhou, Jiaxing, Huzhou, Hangzhou, Shaoxing, Ningbo) at something like 70-85 million? Or where do you actually draw the line when it comes to the Yangtze River Delta? You can even add more urban areas to it as well, or you can remove all the Zhejiang cities because of the farmland in between. But in reality you have fingers of 1-storey housings sprawling from Shanghai all the way to Hangzhou connecting the region. Albeit just barely.

- Worthy of mention: Western Jawa (Jabotabek + Bandung and Serang): 40-45 million. Only Jabotabek is considered by some accounts as high as 30 million.

- Alot of cities have green areas as a way of urban planning, and that reduces the population density by alot, so the population density meassurements are a terrible criteria. (Oslo is a bad example for one).

- Chongqing although big and very impressive due to its surroundings within that valley, its urban population is far more than the 7-8 millions spoken of here. It is more in the area of 10-13 million in the main metropolis of Chongqing. Still far from the 30 million within the province, but way more than just 7-8 million too. The 8ish million is just in the main urban area, and if you go by that definition then you can just forget about the 60 million in the perl river, or even the 40 million Kanto population!

Personally I think the Perl River Delta is more of a single city than the Yangtze River Delta ever will be, thus I'd like to crown the Perl River Delta as the champ, but I have some friends who disagree. And there are good reasons for doing so.

Ivanator, Pansori liked this post

Last edited by Bannor; April 16th, 2014 at 03:52 AM.
Bannor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 04:04 AM   #2198
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6863

Also keep in mind the transit links. It is absolutely essential for an integrated urban area. To my understanding PRD region will have the best commuter transit in all of China.

And no, I did not include Hong Kong. Just to be on the safe side of interpretations. The estimate of 40 million in PRD is a very conservative one too.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 04:29 AM   #2199
yeisson

Likes (Received): 2666

你要去幾樓?
What floor are you going ?
yeisson está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 07:49 PM   #2200
Ivanator
El Psy Congroo

You both make excellent points, Pansori and Bannor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bannor View Post
Personally I think the Pearl River Delta is more of a single city than the Yangtze River Delta ever will be, thus I'd like to crown the Pearl River Delta as the champ, but I have some friends who disagree. And there are good reasons for doing so.
I agree with you there. The real problem is how one defines what is a city. Or, perhaps more accurately, how one defines what is not a city. You could spend forever debating whether certain areas count as part of the city or not. I would therefore argue that it is, at least partially, subjective rather than objective.

But yes, in my opinion I regard The Pearl River Delta as being the largest city on Earth.

Pansori liked this post
Ivanator no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
guangzhou