daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 28th, 2010, 11:22 PM   #321
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 15913

It'll be moved to the u/c subforum once they start building it. Digging a hole of course has nothing to do with construction, sometimes they leave a big hole done for years before the actual construction starts.

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 28th, 2010, 11:38 PM   #322
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
Why is this still on proposed supertalls list ?
Because it's not under construction yet...

Proposal section is just a general term for all towers not U/C, it covers proposals, prep, demo, approved, on hold.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 12:13 PM   #323
snapdragon

Likes (Received): 368

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rg View Post
It'll be moved to the u/c subforum once they start building it. Digging a hole of course has nothing to do with construction, sometimes they leave a big hole done for years before the actual construction starts.
Hmm considering this is the east tower and a pet project for the guangzhou local govt . I don't think there is any likelyhood of it being left as a whole . Nonetheless considering that Pingan was moved into U/C section at almost the similar stage,I asked . Anyway i think it won't be long before it will start hogging the limelight in the u/c section.
Old March 30th, 2010, 12:54 PM   #324
YorkFore2010

Likes (Received): 3

Mar.26th by adada

1.The Canton Tower
2.The East Tower
3.The West Tower
4.The J2-2 plot
5.The Pinnacle
6.The Leatop Plaza
7.The Pearl River Tower
8.The B2-10 plot
9.The CITIC Plaza
YorkFore2010 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2010, 12:27 AM   #325
Febo
Soy Viejo, Deme!

Likes (Received): 1234

Sooo tall!!
Old March 31st, 2010, 01:12 AM   #326
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
Hmm considering this is the east tower and a pet project for the guangzhou local govt . I don't think there is any likelyhood of it being left as a whole . Nonetheless considering that Pingan was moved into U/C section at almost the similar stage,I asked . Anyway i think it won't be long before it will start hogging the limelight in the u/c section.
It'll be moved once they start the piling stage and that looks like it will happen very soon.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2010, 01:04 AM   #327
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 843

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss-ton View Post
^ the twin tower design was cool but not for this application. The two plots are too far away for a twin design to look good, they had to do it this way and even still there is a gap in the skyline.
I don;t agree. A twin design did look good for the Guangzhou CBD, right until they changed the design. i still hate the design so very, very much. I still want to know why the design was changed. I hope the construction workers mess up, forget about the new design, and construct the original design for the tower. Either that, or construction is stopped altogether and the Guangzhou IFC design is changed back to twin towers. Change the design back, please. The new design is a joke.

Guangzhou-New York (pre-9/11)
Hong Kong or Shanghai-Chicago
Beijing-Los Angeles

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2010, 01:41 AM   #328
toddhubert

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
I don;t agree. A twin design did look good for the Guangzhou CBD, right until they changed the design. i still hate the design so very, very much. I still want to know why the design was changed. I hope the construction workers mess up, forget about the new design, and construct the original design for the tower. Either that, or construction is stopped altogether and the Guangzhou IFC design is changed back to twin towers. Change the design back, please. The new design is a joke.

Beijing-Los Angeles
That's impossible, west and east towers belong to different companies. Or if u can merge them
toddhubert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2010, 01:28 PM   #329
snapdragon

Likes (Received): 368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post

Beijing-Los Angeles
Lets call the new design prism composition

I personally like the new design . Firstly when the borders of the prism composition are lighted up . They will really look good in the skyline at night. I think that was the prime reason for choosing it . Another prism compsition is the bank of china in hong kong . Even that clearly looks good when its borders are lighted as there are longer borders thanks to the prism composition thus giving a better skyline effect at night.
snapdragon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2010, 09:09 PM   #330
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Honestly I can't stand this identical twin tower cry all the time. The whole masterplan is symmetrical, but nobody cares if none of the other "twin plots" are rising identical projects.

Actually if you check the first proposals when they released the design contest for the West Tower, most proposals weren't identical twin towers, and even many of them were completely different from each other. Actually the design by Wilkinson Eyre for the East Tower was taller than the West Tower too, so even the architect for the West Tower wanted the East one taller.

I still remember when the SWFC changed the shape of the hole, so many people cried all over the thread, and now nobody misses the round hole because the result is stunning and it fits much better with the shape of the tower. The same will happen with the East Tower, once it starts climbing higher and higher above the West Tower's roof nobody will object

Old April 3rd, 2010, 01:47 AM   #331
Peloso

Likes (Received): 245

Quote:
I still remember when the SWFC changed the shape of the hole, so many people cried all over the thread, and now nobody misses the round hole because the result is stunning and it fits much better with the shape of the tower. The same will happen with the East Tower, once it starts climbing higher and higher above the West Tower's roof nobody will object
Well I still will. Height is not all. This question has little to do with SWFC since the original point (about the hole being supposedly more "harmonic" with the Oriental Pearl spheres) was very feeble, while the symmetry in the original Zhujiang City CBD was evident and is now partly destroyed by the new East tower (and by the way, what was the reason to have a "West" and an "East" tower if not because they had to be identical or at least similar in shape? They could each get their own distinctive name by now since they have nothing to do with one another). The other "twin plots"? What other twin plots? The only one that were symmetrical in position are those of, sigh, West and East tower. There's no going around the fact that the only reason why they changed the plans is the developer change, and the new one being unwilling to pay some royalties for the old design. Otherwise, I believe any sensible person would have chosen to go with the twins choice.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 03:32 AM   #332
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloso View Post
Well I still will. Height is not all. This question has little to do with SWFC since the original point (about the hole being supposedly more "harmonic" with the Oriental Pearl spheres) was very feeble, while the symmetry in the original Zhujiang City CBD was evident and is now partly destroyed by the new East tower
The symmetric distribution of the plots hasn't changed. The whole masterplan is roughly symmetric concerning both plots and approximated heights, but never about the designs. Remember that symmetry is neither harmonious nor balanced whenever it is considered from a Feng Shui point of view.

Quote:
(and by the way, what was the reason to have a "West" and an "East" tower if not because they had to be identical or at least similar in shape?
They could each get their own distinctive name by now since they have nothing to do with one another).
Those are just informal names for the main couple of plots! They were never supposed to become the actual name of the towers, which are Guangzhou IFC and Chow Tai Fook Center.

Quote:
The other "twin plots"? What other twin plots? The only one that were symmetrical in position are those of, sigh, West and East tower.
No! Check the whole masterplan. The whole plot distribution is roughly symmetric, even the cultural facilities around the main towers are "twin plots". See:

But neither the heights nor the designs are symmetric. Not even the supertall status is symmetric. Check this model. They'll build a supertall opposite the Pearl River Tower, but both The Pinnacle and the Leatop Plaza don't have a symmetric project at their respective twin plots.

And once again, some of the original proposals when they released the West Tower contest weren't identical twins.

Some proposals even didn't bother to draw the East Tower because it was assumed it would have its own design once the plot were sold.

And most importantly, even the architect for the West Tower itself proposed a 475m, slenderer design for the East plot.
http://www.wilkinsoneyre.com/project...ia-and-pacific

People miss the twin tower concept only because they were too used to it, and now you find it strange that the designs will be different. Just like so many people found the square hole for the SWFC rare at first. In a long term you'll get used to it, and love it!

Old April 3rd, 2010, 04:46 AM   #333
Peloso

Quote:
The symmetric distribution of the plots hasn't changed. The whole masterplan is roughly symmetric concerning both plots and approximated heights, but never about the designs. Remember that symmetry is neither harmonious nor balanced whenever it is considered from a Feng Shui point of view.
Yes it was symmetric in the designs. Not all of them, just the main ones. The symmetry used to be between Tv tower, East tower, West tower, Citic plaza. The white pipework was supposed to be the common theme between East tower, West tower and TV tower. Same goes for the shape, rounded in height (convex in the twins, concave in the TV tower) and girth. All this was to harmonize with the two boulevards (also "concave").
Feng Shui has nothing to do with a modern CBD, of course. For instance, Feng Shui concerns "energy backbones" inside the earth, in a CBD these are destroyed altogether with the construction of underground levels.
Quote:
Those are just informal names for the main couple of plots! They were never supposed to become the actual name of the towers, which are Guangzhou IFC and Chow Tai Fook Center.
Please bring me some evidence that this is not a post-facto decision. Since the first moment the official names, or at least nicknames, coming from official sources had always been "West" and "East" towers and they were always called "twins". Now can you show me any document coming from official sources stating the contrary (and I mean documents from three years ago, not less)? I believe you can't.
Quote:
No! Check the whole masterplan. The whole plot distribution is roughly symmetric, even the cultural facilities around the main towers are "twin plots". See:
What you are still missing is that everything that was "roughly" symmetric could afford to be so because there were some projects that were exactly, or very closely so, symmetric. Thus the final balance was achieved. Of course total symmetry would have been mechanic and boring, the symmetric spots were key nonetheless, and now the main ones are there no more.
Quote:
And once again, some of the original proposals when they released the West Tower contest weren't identical twins.

And most importantly, even the architect for the West Tower itself proposed a 475m, slenderer design for the East plot.
http://www.wilkinsoneyre.com/project...ia-and-pacific
If you look at my past posts, I never said I wanted an identical East tower, but it had to retain at least some analogy (like in this Wilkinson-Eyre other design), what the new East tower does not.

But I guess nothing can convince you that the current solution is just a "B plan". I give up.
Anyway, it has always been evident that most people in these forum would have preferred a twin design:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=774022

Last edited by Peloso; April 3rd, 2010 at 05:20 AM.
Peloso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2010, 07:36 PM   #334
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 381

Why are you guys discussing it so hard? Peloso (and who else wants to) has full right to hate the new design.

My favorite was that shiny one with round edges and it got rejected too. Final design wouldn't have been my first choice but I like it too. Once finished, this district will look great..
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2010, 09:12 PM   #335
Peloso

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmulder View Post
Why are you guys discussing it so hard? Peloso (and who else wants to) has full right to hate the new design.

My favorite was that shiny one with round edges and it got rejected too. Final design wouldn't have been my first choice but I like it too. Once finished, this district will look great..
Hi Foxmulder, well actually I don't "hate" the new design, this should be an exceptional tower in its own right judging from the renders, only I'm regretting about what's being lost, in my opinion, in the general CBD harmonywise. And... mister Zorg has full right to object to my opinion and express his own too
Old April 3rd, 2010, 09:17 PM   #336
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Peloso, you'll love it once it starts growing above the West Tower, you'll see!

Old April 4th, 2010, 02:10 AM   #337
Ewan117

Likes (Received): 18

I guess it was because the first master plan of the CBD featured a pair of twins. That has kind of stained my imagination of this cbd as well. Having said that though, i am really looking forward to this new tower, since it looks really original and classy in its own way. The change in design will also allow the CBD to look less planned in a planned way, twins on the other hand will obviously give it away.
Ewan117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2010, 06:34 PM   #338
Peloso

Quote:
Peloso, you'll love it once it starts growing above the West Tower, you'll see!
This is very possible, after all, men tend to adjust to reality even if it doesnt' fit their aspirations... one has to love his wife even if the girlfriend he loved the most has gone away.
Old April 17th, 2010, 11:14 PM   #339
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

By senlan

Old April 27th, 2010, 02:59 PM   #340
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

By 罗生

Tags
guangzhou