daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Galleries and Creative Corner > Showcase Gallery

Showcase Gallery Have your own photos of India? Showcase them here

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 25th, 2008, 01:33 PM   #1
jumoni

Likes (Received): 144

Jumoni's Guwahati and Lower Assam trip

Hi, got few pics form my last vist to my home town. Hope few might find them interesting as Assam is a rarely photographed state...
My journey started by landing at the Gopinath Bordoloi Intl. A'port at GHY. Not much of construction is going on in the air-side. On the city-side a huge canopy has come up.

The journey from the airport to the city is very scenic as always...nice road, nice sight. However, in recent times traffic has increased significantly mainly because of the openening up of the 3rd Bhramaputra river crossing some 140 km downstream. Travellers to lower Assam now has two option, either drive through the North Bank or the South Bank of the mighty river

This is how one gets entry to the city...through the railway underpass at Jhalukbari..

The congested Maligaon overbride is now 4 laned...the new addition is toward the left.

Thats the new addition...additional 2 lane of traffic on this busy thoughfare

More to come.......

Last edited by jumoni; December 28th, 2008 at 10:45 AM.
jumoni no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 25th, 2008, 02:00 PM   #2
jumoni

Few pics of the city...

Thats the Anandaram Baruah Setu or popularly know as Chandmari flyover. The area is frequented by the youths as there are various colleges and restaurants. Previously, we could even sit on the smaller raillings..but these days police doesn't allow.

The Assam Tribune Bhaban is the office of a popular english daily from Assam. Note the smaller building on the left of the picture. Its a very prominent landmark of the city.

A petrol bunk of Numuligarh Petroleum Refinerry better know as NRL. NRL is the only refinerry in the country which has been allowed to retail. Most of these pumps are supposed to remain opened for 24 hours...but it is not practical in Assam.

Below is a portion of the Judges Field....just across the High Court. During 80s and 90s football matches and trade fairs were regularly held. Now it servers as a parade ground for the Republic Day and Independent Day's function

The building on the pic is only a part of the huge Assam State Museum

Below is the front section of the District Library

The building with the green and white alumunium pannels houses North East's first multiplex...2 screen multiplex from Cinemax. Ticket price is damn expensive for the quality they provide. If Cinemax were to charge such price in major cities they would have to shut their shops within weeks.... MainlandChina has also opened a restaurant withing the building, Dona Planet...

Last edited by jumoni; December 28th, 2008 at 10:55 AM.
Old December 25th, 2008, 02:31 PM   #3
jumoni

Guwahati has an excellent riverfront which is crying for development....but, I guess, in India, we do not tend to understand the value of anything we have...due to neglect and improper development, the entire river front of almost 12 km is gone for a waste

Small section of the river-front you'd like to take your girl frn for a stroll.....a small garden with a beautiful museum...

Thats the NEWS LIVE channel's corp. office.

Part of the GS Road...Most of the construction in Ghy is taking place on both side of the road which is around 5-6 km in length..

BigBazar recently opened its first outlet on the same road...

Pantaloon's outlet..on the same road.

Pantaloon again...The top floor of this building houses North-East first Bowling Alley...a small start with a 4 lane alley. Pictures are comming as next installment

Last edited by jumoni; December 28th, 2008 at 10:53 AM.
Old December 25th, 2008, 02:47 PM   #4
jumoni

Few Pics inside the Gaming Arcade, also known as Rang Ghar...
The bowling alley...not much crowded ahe!!!

Some of the other games fo the kids and the grown up....

Thats the hooka bar..just beside the bowling alley

Well not sure what they wanted to make out of it...nevertheless...it looks better esp with the traditional GAMOCHA....for decoration...This was found on the entrance to the car-dash rink

Last edited by jumoni; December 25th, 2008 at 03:17 PM.
Old December 25th, 2008, 03:46 PM   #5
jumoni

Final lot of pictures of GHY'......enjoy.

I think the building in the picture is the CUBE.

Thats DONA Planet with the popular restaurant MAINLAND CHINA. They also have a PIZZA CORNER in the same building

The restaurant PIZZERIA is a very famous local PIZZA outlet. They serves some fine pizza at a far cheaper price compared to the likes of DOMINNOS, PIZA HUT/CORNER and US PIZZA...The ambience inside PIZZERIA is more of a normal restaurant then a Pizza joint...

Thats a cultural complex at Machkhowa...on similar line with Ranga Sankara in B'lore..only difference is that this one in Ghy is somewhat bigger.

The building with the white dome is the Guwahati High Court. The photo was taken from the backside of the building from a moving car....From the front side, the building does look enormous. Just behind the High Court if you move on the straight road ahead for 200 mts, one will come across the Guwahati Planetorium towards the left.

A foot over-bridge just infront of Sukleshwar Temple.

View from the top of the foot over-bridge

My most fav. part of the city is its banks.....but I guess, the first impression that one gets of it is of dirt and rubbish. Alas, thats true if you see the picture carefully. This is the Sukleshwar Ghat. The photo was taken in early April, so the water level is low...during the monsoon July/Aug...the water level of the city almost reaches the top stair...unbelievable..but thats the fact..At any given time, there will be around 50-70 ferries parked on the bank of this Ghat which stretches from Sukleshwar temple till Bhorolu...a distance of around 3 km. There are quit a few floating restaurants....they were very well maintained when they were first launched in the late 80s...now very few have survived..

Another unique picture that I clicked during my visit..Seeing this kind of promotion for the first time in NE.
Old December 25th, 2008, 03:53 PM   #6
jumoni

Next on...will be pics from my counrty side trip......Lovely Assam ...Green Assam.
Old December 25th, 2008, 04:19 PM   #7
Suncity
By the ocean

Likes (Received): 4523

Nice Pics.

Moving it to showcase gallery.
Suncity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2008, 07:35 PM   #8
jumoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncity View Post
Nice Pics.

Moving it to showcase gallery.

How did you move it..???
Old December 25th, 2008, 07:39 PM   #9
harsh1802
MAVerick

Likes (Received): 83

Well....he has some powers.

Good work there. Nice pics.

Webcams Thread / Hyderabad Cityscapes

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." - Richard Dawkins

ganeshs20k liked this post
harsh1802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 05:52 AM   #10
ab041937
Learning Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 4

Lovely pics Jumoni

just a request.. could you please resize the images in your first couple of posts to 1024x768 pixels? It would be great to view them in whole rather than scrolling.
"If I were to look over the whole world to find out a country most richly endowed with all the wealth, power and beauty that nature can bestow – in some part a very paradise on earth – I should point to India."

"There is no book in the world that is so thrilling, stirring and inspiring as the Upanishads." (‘Sacred Books of the East’)

- Max Muller, German Scholar
ab041937 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 08:09 AM   #11
jumoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh1802 View Post
Well....he has some powers.
Well....I thought only the thread creator can move or make any changes to the thread....

Quote:
Good work there. Nice pics.
Thanks..
Old December 26th, 2008, 08:14 AM   #12
jumoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab041937 View Post
Lovely pics Jumoni

just a request.. could you please resize the images in your first couple of posts to 1024x768 pixels? It would be great to view them in whole rather than scrolling.

Sure...will do that. Give me a couple of days time....
Old December 27th, 2008, 09:11 AM   #13
SarafIndian

Likes (Received): 73

Great photos. Keep it up man.
Old December 27th, 2008, 01:22 PM   #14
jumoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarafIndian View Post
Great photos. Keep it up man.
Thanks
Old December 27th, 2008, 07:21 PM   #15
jumoni

Now, let me start with few pics from my Lower Assam trip....
Started from Ghy early in the morning and so traffic wasn't there.

This is the road between Handique College and Dighali Phukhuri. Generally during college timings, esp. in the afternoon, this road will be abuzz with young guys and their bikes...trying to catch glimses of girls from the college. Just next to Handique college, if we turn left, we will come across Cotton College, the most premiere college of the North-East. Few years back it organized its centenary celebration. My father did his Post-Grad at Cottons.

In order to exit the city, we have to pass beside the Bhramaputra river...you can see it on the right of the picture.

After exiting the city through the Jhalukbari underpass, we took right towards Saraighat bridge...As you can see the highway is only 2 lane and so traffic could be found even at 6.30 am.
One thing to note is the video coach right infront. I clicked the pic coz' thats the first time I saw such a coach in North-East. Infact as far as I know these video coaches were banned in Assam since the early 80s..I'm not sure if they have allowed video coaches these days..BTW, thats a normal luxury bus. In Assam there are generally 3 types of buses..express, luxury and volvo, unlike in South India, where luxury buses are again sub-categorized as semi-luxury, luxury, air-bus...so on and so forth...

As we were climbing the ramp approach of Saraighat bridge

Thats the bidge, 1.6 km in length....pride of Assam. Not that the bridge is a looker but in the 70s it was an engineering marvel. It was he only connecting link for the to India till late 80s when the second bridge over the mighty river was opende near the town of Tezpur. Its double decked, road deck on top and a railway track below. , the narrowest potion of the river in the state.

Just before exiting the bridge, I saw few columns being constructed..Thats part of 4 lanning the highway..a new bridge is being constructed over the Bhramaputra....sister bridge of Saraighat

This pic was taken as soon as we came off the bridge. Notice the Rajiv Gandhi Indoor Stadium on the right. Unique about the stadium is its roof...first time saw such roof in India. Built by L&T for the 33rd National Games. Capacity is around 2,500, all seater and air-conditioned. It looks like a low-tech space ship about to take off. Notice the hump just next to the stadium..thats the only railway line to the city

Last edited by jumoni; December 28th, 2008 at 06:56 AM.
Old December 27th, 2008, 07:51 PM   #16
jumoni

We took the state highway on our way to Barpeta..
Notice the greenary and the water bodies...thats the speciality of North-East. You can find them every where

Soon after we reach Saraighat Battle Memorial Park...Very few outside of Assam knows the significance of Saraighat battle. It was fought between the Moghuls and Ahom king. Lachit Borphukan was the general of Ahom Army. He entrusted his uncle to dig a trance 20 feet wide and 20 feet deep across a certain section in order to prevent the Moghul army from entering their kingdom. work went on at night....while on an inspection, Lachit found his uncle taking a nap late night. Out of rage at such complacency, Lachit took out his sword and behaded his uncle infront of his army. The next day, he won the battle against the invaders....and his bravery entered into the folklore of our region.

The state highway towards Barpeta town

It took us around 2 hours to reach Barpeta town ( approx. 90 km from Guwahati). We decided to visit the Barpeta Satra. Its basically a temple/prayer hall for the Shankari clan...a religion preached by Sri Sri Shankar Dev.

Can you guess which tree's trunk the central two pillars made of.?????

They are Tulsi plant.
I never realized they can grow so big before I saw those two pillars....

That bed is made of pure silver and is much larger then what it seems from the picture.

Another picture of the Barpeta Satra

Last edited by jumoni; December 28th, 2008 at 06:58 AM.
Old December 27th, 2008, 08:05 PM   #17
jumoni

We set off from barpeta towards Kokrajhar through National Highway 34. 4 lanning is going on this stretch as part of East-West Corridor.

River crossing

These biggies have arrived in NE too. Seeing them for the first time in this part of the country.

Countryside

After Kokrajhar, we moved ahead to Chapar. A small town some 60km before Dhubri. Thats where my grandpa's abode is...he is no more now.
Below road is the private road to my grandpa's house...exclusive in its own ways...brings back fond memories of my childhood. This place was a paradise for me.

Last edited by jumoni; December 28th, 2008 at 07:46 AM.
Old December 27th, 2008, 08:14 PM   #18
jumoni

Kaya Kuji

Got few pics of Koya Kujia as well. Its a large fisherry as well as tourisim development project taken up by Govt. of Assam in Abhayapuri...Thats where my papa belongs from. The project comprises of setting up of few artificial islands and water bodies, islands for flora and fauna development and the huge lake for fishery projects. This has its own in-house eco breeding plant and a research centre.
Here's the master-plan of the Kaya Kuji project

View of a small island from the largest island

One have to travel by boat in order to move from one island to the other.
Old December 28th, 2008, 08:03 AM   #19
jumoni

Back on the highway

Few pics of the highway....

Going towards Mahamaya temple after Bilasipara town. The drive used to be breath-taking during my child-hood. Alas the same couldn't be said anymore as land has been encroched by illegal immigrants from Bangladesh. The forest cover has been lost for ever and turned into farm land by them. Elephants, deers, bisons, peacocks were a common sight....now no more. Only a stretch of 2-3 km remains. but no sight of any wild animals.

On both sides of the highway, many brick kilns have come up. One of them in the pic

This one was taken in Mahamaya Snnan ghat (bathing ghat). Its a part of the main temple but some 5km before the main Mahamaya temple. Artificial animals and trees and caves etc.

Last edited by jumoni; December 28th, 2008 at 08:08 AM.
Old December 28th, 2008, 08:22 AM   #20
jumoni

Here are few pics from the main temple...

Main stairs leading to the Mahamaya Snnan Ghat temple

The following pics were taken in the main Mahamaya temple

The main temple

Part of the temple complex...The form of the roof is very traditional Assamese.

The idol inside the temple

The walkway to the temple gate has been encroched by those shops. Commercialization at its height. Its ruining everything.