daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 3rd, 2009, 07:42 PM   #21
MNiemann

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by philadweller View Post
Florida is a trashy state with no sense of planning, social interaction, class and the rudest people you will ever encounter. Florida is a stupid state with a low IQ and a disregard for the environment.

I like aspects of living here but am appalled by how ugly most of the architecture is and how rude the drivers are. All of the lowlifes of the US come to Florida for their last chance and it shows.
Oh dear. Basically, you have no idea what you are talking about. Sorry but you're just so wrong. First of all, like I say to everyone that lives here and thinks like you: if you don't like it, move. There are other places in the U.S. I would like to live, but if I really thought Florida was awful, I would move.

I think many parts of Florida are absolutely wonderful. The circles I run in here in Orlando are full of very urbanized, classy people. If you're hanging out with trashy people, really that's your problem, not Florida's.

If Florida is a stupid state with a low IQ then why are most of the nation's leading doctors moving here and going to school here? Why is the University of Miami's med school one of the top 10 hardest in the nation to get into?

I'll agree with you that we have an issue with disregard to the environment. We do. However, I've been to Phoenix, and I don't think anywhere in the U.S. is that bad. (No offense, anyone who lives in Phoenix, but it is BAD there). Also, the drivers in Miami are awful, yes. I think Miami just beat out NYC for worst drivers in the nation, but I lived in North Florida most of my life and the only bad drivers there are the out-of-state tourists.

I think you get a kick out of making largely generalist statements about Florida, but yeah if you're stuck in some suburb out in SoFla where the people are poor and drive bad, sucks to be you, but this is not my experience living in Florida.

Sponsored Links
Old February 3rd, 2009, 10:04 PM   #22
cityscapes

Likes (Received): 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridian-will View Post
Ok, I have lived here my whole life and I recognize every place he took a picture of. This guys hates WPB, he has a right to. But he purposefully took pics of the WORST parts of town to degrade this city. I can tell you that were I live in Boynton, is no worse then the rest of america (Trust me, Ive been around), and in alot of ways better. And the majority of Palm Beach looks nothing like those suburban shit holes he posted. And though there are a lot of subdivisions, hardly anywhere looks like that last pic he posted, which isnt even as bad as the place I lived in Minnesota. Ive seen people glamorize where they live, and Ive seen people degrade where they live, this is the latter dramatization.
I wanted to represent this place accurately so I showed the bad areas and since I'm not done yet I'll show the good areas too and I already have in some cases.. You live in Boynton so I don't know if you have really explored West Palm Beach as well as I have but there are a lot of areas I have been to that look like the last picture. Northern palm beach county is really nice and most of southern palm beach county is nice. West Palm Beach is has nice awful within its city limits being in the middle which isn't as nice as the north and south parts of this county. Drive down Forrest Hill, Dixie Highway, Belvedere, Okeechobee, 45th Street, Broadway, and Jog Road, in West Palm Beach and turn down some side streets and tell me it doesn't look just like some of the "bad" pictures I took. This place isn't just millionaires. It would be nice if you realized that it was like this instead of trying to blame me for making West Palm Beach look bad. I guess I'll post some mansions next.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 10:09 PM   #23
cityscapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNiemann View Post
I think many parts of Florida are absolutely wonderful. The circles I run in here in Orlando are full of very urbanized, classy people. If you're hanging out with trashy people, really that's your problem, not Florida's.

If Florida is a stupid state with a low IQ then why are most of the nation's leading doctors moving here and going to school here? Why is the University of Miami's med school one of the top 10 hardest in the nation to get into?

I'll agree with you that we have an issue with disregard to the environment. We do. However, I've been to Phoenix, and I don't think anywhere in the U.S. is that bad. (No offense, anyone who lives in Phoenix, but it is BAD there). Also, the drivers in Miami are awful, yes. I think Miami just beat out NYC for worst drivers in the nation, but I lived in North Florida most of my life and the only bad drivers there are the out-of-state tourists.
I've never had problems meeting decent people in Orlando and it is nicer there. Florida has excellent schools. The disregard to the environment can be really funny here sometimes. There is a condo being build next to where I live that might get LEED certified and they took a survey of the neighborhood and nobody cared if it got certification or not. My school also is really "green" yet for some reason they keep the exterior lights on during the day. At least, they are trying to change for the better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
Wow! Awesome tour!
Isn't there like a lot of Multi-millionares and some billionares in West Palm Beach?

BTW, love this picture:
Yes we do have millionaires here next time I post I'll post where the rich folk live.
Old February 6th, 2009, 08:16 AM   #24
cityscapes

image hosted on flickr

This is what a typical above average newer house looks like in West Palm Beach. They cost around $750,000 - 2,000,000 in this neighborhood.

image hosted on flickr

All the buildings in this picture didn't exist 5 years ago maybe less.

image hosted on flickr

This is my street. Its really nice to walk along the water when the weather is nice.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The weather has been beautiful for the past two days with highs in the 60's and lows in the low 50's.

I don't have class tomorrow so I'm going to try and take pictures of the nicest houses on Flagler Drive and post them when I have time.
Old February 6th, 2009, 08:23 AM   #25
MNiemann

image hosted on flickr

this is some good density for west palm!
Old February 6th, 2009, 08:42 AM   #26
cityscapes

Yeah the city has became a lot more dense in the past 10 years. Those buildings are nice but I think they are too close to the street making the road impossible to widen. When the population grows here traffic will be even worse than it is in that picture. The street is the main street in and out of downtown and it connects to I-95 and Palm Beach.
Old February 6th, 2009, 03:17 PM   #27
cristof

Likes (Received): 69

******' amazing american way of life ...
cristof no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 07:20 AM   #28
cityscapes

I took a walk today from the south end of downtown to the north end. I didn't eat or drink anything all day before going so I almost passed out but I stopped at Pizza Girls on my way back. The sun was setting and there were rain clouds to the north and that made the lighting look cool in some of the pictures.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Lourdes-Noreen McKeen senior living, The Strand, and Esplanade Grade towers on Flagler Drive.
I think the senior living facility won best in the country one year.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The Harvey building, West Palm Beaches first highrise.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The building on the right is my favorite historic building in West Palm. I hope they restore it soon.

image hosted on flickr

Clematis Street is where a lot of the nightclubs, restaurants, and shops are located downtown. It has live music on Thursday nights and is always busy on the weekends.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The almost finished West Palm Beach city hall library and parking garage.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The historic Palm Beach County courthouse was recently restored. It is right across the street from the new courthouse.

image hosted on flickr

The new courthouse...only part of it. It is way to wide to fit in one picture. It kind of looks like the Orange County courthouse in Orlando.

I'll post more later.
Old February 16th, 2009, 03:45 PM   #29
Coneslammer

Likes (Received): 10

thanks for the photos but.......yuk
Coneslammer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 05:03 PM   #30
daneo

Likes (Received): 13

nice pics, nice town but it looks boring.
daneo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 06:52 PM   #31
MNiemann

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityscapes View Post
I took a walk today from the south end of downtown to the north end. I didn't eat or drink anything all day before going so I almost passed out but I stopped at Pizza Girls on my way back. The sun was setting and there were rain clouds to the north and that made the lighting look cool in some of the pictures.
No Food or Drink all day? Was it a high holiday that I missed?

Anyway, I am really impressed with West Palm. It looks so much better than it did when I was downtown like 10 years ago! I don't know where these people are from that find clean streets and great architecture boring... I find suburbs boring, but that's just me...
Old February 16th, 2009, 07:13 PM   #32
Manolo_B2
Liberté Égalité Beyoncé

Likes (Received): 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityscapes View Post
image hosted on flickr
OMG!
this looks so unreal! i've never seen something like that before, and i live in switzerland!
Manolo_B2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 07:18 PM   #33
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244524

Most of buildings, houses in West Palm beach looks great
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 10:57 PM   #34
MNiemann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolo_B2 View Post
OMG!
this looks so unreal! i've never seen something like that before, and i live in switzerland!
really? there are lots of places in florida that look like that, but i guess outside of florida that style of architecture is not so common
Old February 16th, 2009, 11:50 PM   #35
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

While Florida is poorly planned, we have tons of stupid people mostly from other states, and there is a wide gap of rich and poor this thread obviously is stemmed from the worst parts of WPB. I've been to WPB besides the area of high rises and the pics of the ghetto it's mostly a typical Florida suburb.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 12:12 AM   #36
cityscapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
While Florida is poorly planned, we have tons of stupid people mostly from other states, and there is a wide gap of rich and poor this thread obviously is stemmed from the worst parts of WPB. I've been to WPB besides the area of high rises and the pics of the ghetto it's mostly a typical Florida suburb.
I haven't gone to any of West Palm Beach's worst neighborhoods. The "ghetto" is heading north on Tamarind Ave, west down Palm Beach Lakes, and North along Broadway until you get to Riviera Beach where it gets worse but since Riviera Beach is a separate city I will not be taking any pictures of it and posting them here.

These maps show the routes I took of the first set of pictures that I took:

As you can see in that map I didn't pass through any of the worst areas in West Palm Beach. The main east-west streets here are no Champs- Élysées...

This is the route I took to take the most recent pictures that I have not yet finished posting:
Old February 17th, 2009, 12:30 AM   #37
cityscapes

More from my walk:
image hosted on flickr

I really like this building for some reason.

image hosted on flickr

The "Darth Vader" building aka Northbridge Center.

image hosted on flickr

Waterview towers. Doesn't it kind of look like those air-conditioners you can put inside the window?

image hosted on flickr

Historic Palm Beach High School. I think it was the first high school in the area. I would have read the sign but it was getting dark and rain clouds were approaching...

image hosted on flickr

Darth Vader from a more flattering angle.

image hosted on flickr

Unfortunately, no matter what angle you look at One Watermark Place from it is still too fat, too kitschy, and weird looking. The top two floors are one apartment costing 8 million dollars it has something close to 10,000 sq. ft.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Palm Beach in the background.

image hosted on flickr

Luxury cars!

image hosted on flickr

BMW, Mercedes, Bentley, FORD PICK UP TRUCK?!

I'll post the rest soon.
Old February 17th, 2009, 12:39 AM   #38
Htay9500

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by philadweller View Post
Can someone explain to me why people are doing this? Is it to piss off police officers? I see lots of 80's cars with these big pimped out wheels. I just don't get it but I find it extremely obnoxious and stupid looking.

They are called "donks".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donk_(automobile)
Htay9500 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 09:06 AM   #39
cityscapes

Finally, here is the last set of pictures from my walk:

image hosted on flickr

Palm Beach.

image hosted on flickr

Nice waterfront houses on Flagler Drive. They get nicer the farther south you go...my next walk will probably be in that area because there are some beautiful homes there.

image hosted on flickr

The medical skyline I guess plus a couple condos.

image hosted on flickr

Riviera Beach skyline.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Good Samaritan Medical Center.

image hosted on flickr

The skyline view from the Victor Farris building (left) is really good. My doctor just happens to be on the top floor.

image hosted on flickr

My favorite new condo in West Palm Beach, The Slade.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Clematis Street fountain.

image hosted on flickr

Sloan's Ice Cream (Over prices, awesome bathrooms featured on the Travel Channel), Pizza Girls (Best pizza in town), and Cabana (Good upscale cuban).

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The new Hyatt.

I went to Palm Beach Lakes to get my car washed and I still had the camera with me so I took some pictures of the Palm Beach Lakes skyline.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The second I pulled out of the car wash it started raining...

image hosted on flickr

Clearlake skyline.

image hosted on flickr

Tri-Rail heading to Mangonia Park.

I hope you enjoyed the pictures!

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
cityscapes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 07:39 PM   #40
Uncle Traveling Matt

Likes (Received): 32

I love the view from the marina. It's a perspective that I don't see very often.

It's funny that you call Northbridge the darth vader building. I like to call the the AT&T building on Gardenia the Deathstar because it's so dreary looking.

That's the first picture I've seen of the new Hyatt sign light up. Nice.

How is the walk up North Flagler? I never go that way as the area just west of there is pretty rough snd I usually have my wife with me. Is it ok as long as you stay close to the water. I know the area between the train tracks up there is not to be walked.
Uncle Traveling Matt no está en línea   Reply With Quote