daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 18th, 2009, 08:30 PM   #41
MNiemann

Likes (Received): 79

Wow that Hospital is nice!!! Is it brand new?

Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2009, 09:17 PM   #42
thisplace

Likes (Received): 0

Everyone, beautiful photos of a beautiful and growing city. West Palm Beach seems to have become a true urban hub.

If anyone has any more photos, please post them.
thisplace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 10:06 AM   #43
Universal Soulja
~Friend of the People~

Likes (Received): 4

good post
(((THE LaST SHaLL Be F1rst)))
Universal Soulja no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 07:02 PM   #44
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244198

Any other updates about that beautiful region ?
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 05:58 PM   #45
Raveolution

Likes (Received): 8

yea really interesting man

and don't go to "doctors", they are just as brainwashed as general population.
Raveolution no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 10:54 PM   #46
chuchero

Likes (Received): 4839

Very nice place to live and vacations. It seems to be on growing state wich means people like the place to stay.
chuchero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 01:57 AM   #47
cityscapes

Likes (Received): 137

image hosted on flickr

WELCOME TO WEST PALM BEACH!

I took some more pictures today. I decided to use my good camera this time for high quality pictures.

image hosted on flickr

Magnolia Court on Dixie Highway. This development consists of the apartments with the retail on the bottom and then behind that there are four rows of very nice three floor townhouses.

image hosted on flickr

This is just one small section of Antique Row. It is at least two miles long and has some of the best antique stores in the state and region.

After Antique Row I went to the Historic Northwood neighborhood. This is one of the few areas in West Palm Beach that is going through gentrification. It has an eclectic mix of wealthy people, and very poor people. The main street has a barber shop, a small grocery store, some nice restaurants, a flower shop, and some furniture stores.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

After I took this picture, a cop came out of nowhere and yelled "HEY YOU COME HERE"! I walked over to him and he asked what I was doing and why and I told him I was just talking pictures of the area because it has changed so much over the past couple years. He said "You must have been bored out of your mind then. The owner of the store wanted to know why you took a picture, are you in high school?" I told him I was just taking pictures of myself and the owner stuck his head out of the glass barrier and asked if I worked for the city. I said they were for personal use I could show them the pictures if they wanted, and the cop and the owner said I could go. It was really weird that they freaked out because I took a picture of the store. This has only happened to me once before in Turkey where I took a picture of a bank headquarters and the security guards came out and told me to delete the pictures.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

This house just sat in this dead area of downtown for years. I want to know who build the house and what that area was like in the early 1900's.

image hosted on flickr

This area is always the most active area downtown during weekdays because of the County Courthouse and the Palm Tran stop.

image hosted on flickr

Stores on Belvedere Road. Tulipan Cuban Bakery, Guatemala Bazar, Marisqueria Taqueria, SIGNS, Psychic Readings, Calling Card store to Latin American countries, and El Tipico Quetzal Cafeteria. On the other side of the street there is a gay bar a military supply store and a gas station next to a laundromat. I would have crossed the street and taken a picture of that odd mix but it was really hot outside.

image hosted on flickr

This crazy building is in the industrial part of the city it was renovated and made into studios for artists. I think most of the space is vacant right now.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Tri-Rail communter rail at West Palm Beach station. The new transit center is under-construction in the foreground.

image hosted on flickr

New sterile looking park behind the Edge Condos.

image hosted on flickr

The Edge & 1 Clearlake Center.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

CityPlace.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The view from my balcony.

I hope you enjoyed.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
cityscapes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #48
MNiemann

Likes (Received): 79

gorgeous photos (minus the strip malls). what a beautiful view from your balcony. that's the kind of view that many people in the world dream about.
Old March 10th, 2009, 08:24 PM   #49
christos-greece
Moderator!

Some of the above buildings (updated pics) looks really nice, like for examble First Bank building: great

Old March 11th, 2009, 02:21 AM   #50
plcmat

Seemed like a great cross-section of photos to me.

Btw there are parts of Portland just as bad as what is seen here, with worse weather. And I bet Portland has 10x the homeless population too.

Point is every city has its good and its bad.
plcmat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 02:51 AM   #51
cityscapes

The homeless in Portland aren't scary and aggressive like in WPB, but yes there are more but its almost six times bigger than WPB. Portland isn't nearly as crime ridden as WPB. I've seen pictures of the ghetto in Portland before and it looks an infinite amount of times better than the ghetto in West Palm Beach / Riviera Beach.

The weather being worse there is a matter of opinion. I hate the heat and the sun and would enjoy a cold rainy climate. I know there are many people in the NW and NE that would love to live in Florida's climate.
Old March 11th, 2009, 04:54 AM   #52
aspiringArchitect

From your pictures, West Palm Beach doesn't look too bad. I mean, of course it could look better, but for the most part it seems pretty clean and nice. But then again, someone visiting Chicago will most likely say that Chicago is a great city because it's so clean. I have no intention of ever moving to anyplace in Florida, but it is still really nice to see. Especially all the palm trees.

I actually want to move to Portland one day. Ever since I took my trip out there a couple years ago. Have you been to the coast yet? It's really beautiful.
aspiringArchitect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 05:25 AM   #53
cityscapes

There are a lot of areas that really bad. I don't want to go to them to take pictures because its that unsafe. If I actually did take pictures of them people would probably be shocked to see some of the disgusting places that exist in beautiful Florida. Now that you mention it WPB is pretty clean especially compared to most of the cities south of it.

I haven't been to the coast but when I move to Portland in June I plan on going to the coast and driving up to Seattle and Vancouver.

Old March 13th, 2009, 01:15 PM   #54
cityscapes

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

My favorite house in WPB.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

I love the front door on this house.

image hosted on flickr

Palm Beach - I am pretty sure the owner of Netscape lives in the house in the middle and its one of the largest and most expensive homes on the island.

image hosted on flickr

The weather has been really nice lately but as you can see from the grass getting yellow it hasn't rained in awhile. I hope it rains so there won't be any fires or water restrictions. The weather channel says there should be severe thunderstorms on Thursday, I hope they're right because its getting really dry around here.

Hopefully my next set of pictures will filled with clouds and rain.

Old March 16th, 2009, 04:53 PM   #55
Raveolution

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
After I took this picture, a cop came out of nowhere and yelled "HEY YOU COME HERE"! I walked over to him and he asked what I was doing and why and I told him I was just talking pictures of the area because it has changed so much over the past couple years. He said "You must have been bored out of your mind then. The owner of the store wanted to know why you took a picture, are you in high school?" I told him I was just taking pictures of myself and the owner stuck his head out of the glass barrier and asked if I worked for the city. I said they were for personal use I could show them the pictures if they wanted, and the cop and the owner said I could go. It was really weird that they freaked out because I took a picture of the store. This has only happened to me once before in Turkey where I took a picture of a bank headquarters and the security guards came out and told me to delete the pictures.
street is a public place an you can shoot wtf you want Learn your rights.

Raveolution no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 06:52 AM   #56
Parisian Girl
MONACO _ Côte d'Azur

Likes (Received): 2829

image hosted on flickr

Very nice house/villa Where in WPB is this?

Thx for all the pix, cityscapes

Parisian Girl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 08:32 PM   #57
christos-greece
Moderator!

Really amazing area...
Old April 19th, 2009, 05:38 AM   #58
cityscapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNiemann View Post
Wow that Hospital is nice!!! Is it brand new?
No its been there since before I was born. I don't know exactly how old it is though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parisian Girl View Post
image hosted on flickr

Very nice house/villa Where in WPB is this?

Thx for all the pix, cityscapes
Bloomfield Drive & South Flagler Drive but google earth always helps!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...72285251215559

image hosted on flickr

Skyline from Palm Beach.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Good Samaritan Hospital and North Flagler Skyline from Palm Beach. Sorry its dark the lighting conditions weren't in my favor.

image hosted on flickr

Wells Road in Palm Beach.

image hosted on flickr

New City hall in WPB.

image hosted on flickr

The new library which connects to the city hall.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

I can't decided if it was a good idea or not to make the city hall resemble the county courthouse in the background.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

New City Hall and Library.

image hosted on flickr

610 Celmatis.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

City Place.

image hosted on flickr

City Palms & Trump Plaza.

image hosted on flickr

After spending so many summers of my life in Europe the lack of pedestrian activity, public transportation, and urbanity leave a lot to be desired in West Palm Beach. (Photo taken in Munich, Germany by me.)

I booked my flight to Portland and I have less than a month left in Florida!! This calls for final trips to Orlando and Miami... Any photo requests?

Old May 3rd, 2009, 11:42 PM   #59
Jimmy McShane
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

Last edited by Jimmy McShane; October 29th, 2009 at 05:03 AM.
Jimmy McShane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 07:52 AM   #60
cityscapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy McShane View Post
You've got to freaking be kidding me. Palm Beach residents are the ones that sell there drugs through the common man, Key West thinks they're not part of Florida or even the U.S., and South Beach is full of night clubs infested with prostitutes and low-lives. Plenty of episodes of "COPS" take place in Miami Beach. This doesn't apply to EVERYTHING in these locations, but you should get me. Every city has fairly good parts and crappy parts.

@cityscapes, I know your first couple sets of images are from a pessimistic point of view (and if one is working-class) considering I'm always in such a similar mood, but I have some questions. From your pictures since when did West Palm Beach have Democrats? What's the name of that "Recession Thursday" establishment and is it on Clematis? What's your favorite condo in downtown West Palm that's Mediterranean and which one do/did you live in? You seem to have contradicted yourself by saying West Palm residents can only afford preowned Hondas when BMWs, Mercedes, and recent Cadillacs are clearly parked on the premises. Unless you mean the crowd that does NOT go to CityPlace for shopping, then I stand corrected.
When did I say West Palm Beach residents can only afford preowned Honda's? I'm not going to tell you where I live on here so everyone can read it. I don't feel comfortable doing that at all. However, I will tell you that the Metropolitan is my favorite Mediterranean condo in West Palm Beach.

I'm assuming West Palm Beach and Palm Beach County has had Democrats since it was first founded. 61% of Palm Beach County voted for Obama in 2008. My first few posts were not from a pessimistic view, they were realistic. The majority of West Palm Beach, especially the inland city limits are pretty ugly. There are uglier places I could have photographed, but I don't want to put myself in danger for the sake of getting pictures. The nice cars could be coming from Palm Beach, Palm Beach Gardens, Jupiter, or Wellington. Just because they are in WPB doesn't mean their owners reside in the city.

I'm 90% sure the name of the club is Ultra Lounge, but I could be wrong.