daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 22nd, 2011, 06:06 PM   #2121
Dirty new yorker

Likes (Received): 25

Finally cladding!

Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2011, 06:23 PM   #2122
Vormek
Scarface

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty new yorker View Post
Finally cladding!
Is that 2Pac in your avatar? One of his trademarks was to reverse the bandana so the knots would be on the forehead... just like in your avatar
Vormek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2011, 07:39 PM   #2123
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoVabec View Post
To answer the question about the gap between One57 and the next building..That small gap is there because, believe it or not, buildings move..If there's strong wind, building sway, possible earthquake, building moves, etc..Those are not moves like one ft..At least not at street level..But there are smaller moves..One57 is way taller than those buildings next door, so it has bigger moves..If they build it wall to wall, as time passes by, walls of One57 would hit other walls and they would crack..At first those cracks would be small but it would be bigger and bigger with time..And you know what that means..That's why is there small gap..

Usually those gaps get filled with some termo/sound proof material..Or it can just stay empty..And cladding that comes on the front side of building covers it so it's not visible..
I wonder, what can be the weight of a supertall like One 57? I can imagine it has to be big to be able to crack neighbouring walls if it would have contact with them

Highcliff liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2011, 08:12 PM   #2124
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vormek View Post
Is that 2Pac in your avatar? One of his trademarks was to reverse the bandana so the knots would be on the forehead... just like in your avatar
Yeah it's Tupac lol.

Kanto think more about how fast the buildings can move. That compound with the weight, would be enough to damage any neighboring building.
Old October 22nd, 2011, 08:17 PM   #2125
Kanto
Roof height crusader

That's true. I guess it would be like a lorry hitting the buildings over and over again. How much force is needed to start cracks in a wall?

Old October 22nd, 2011, 08:22 PM   #2126
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

Lol, planning something?
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel

Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2011, 08:24 PM   #2127
Kanto
Roof height crusader

ROFLMAO, no, just wondering how strong a building is

Old October 22nd, 2011, 09:37 PM   #2128
Ni3lS

I see. Well, there are a lot of people here that provide some very interesting information, though knowing how strong a building is, is a question that barely anyone knows for certain. Except the engineers and architect(s) of the building of course. Therefore a little strange to ask it over here because the engineers and architects of this building are no member of this website (as far as we know). Otherwise we probably would've known.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel

Old October 23rd, 2011, 12:37 AM   #2129
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Well, this is the biggest international skyscraper forum in existence so it is very well possible that some skyscraper engineers will sooner or later join

Btw, I'd love to see a recent pic of this building from far away so we can see the recent progress

Old October 23rd, 2011, 01:52 AM   #2130
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

^They're aware of these forums, though they just limit to observe and be sure nothing confidential is posted.

Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2011, 06:37 PM   #2131
King of Construction
skyscraperized

Likes (Received): 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
That's true. I guess it would be like a lorry hitting the buildings over and over again. How much force is needed to start cracks in a wall?
It's not necessarily the force of the hits that will crack a wall. I think it's more the times it will hit other buildings. Compare it to a water drop. There are examples of places where one drip hits the ground every 2 seconds, and after years it will make a hole in the most solid ground. In this case it's sort of the same, so it's not like that the building hits other buildings with high speed or force, but just the number of times it swayes.

Visited countries: Austria-Belgium-Bosnia & Herzegovina-Bulgaria-Canada-Croatia-Czech Republic-England-France-Germany-Greece-Hong Kong-Italy-Liechtenstein- Luxembourg
Malaysia-Montenegro-Morocco-the Netherlands-Poland-Serbia-Singapore-Spain- Switzerland-Turkey-United Arab Emirates-United States of America-Wales
King of Construction no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2011, 08:24 PM   #2132
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

^And isn't that why this building is made out of concrete? To reduce sway? Because concrete is much stronger and doesn't sway as much as steel/other materials. Is this correct?
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 12:09 AM   #2133
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Construction View Post
It's not necessarily the force of the hits that will crack a wall. I think it's more the times it will hit other buildings. Compare it to a water drop. There are examples of places where one drip hits the ground every 2 seconds, and after years it will make a hole in the most solid ground. In this case it's sort of the same, so it's not like that the building hits other buildings with high speed or force, but just the number of times it swayes.
Yeah but from what I know there has to be quite some force involved for the material to weaken and crack after many times repeated collison

Old October 24th, 2011, 01:53 AM   #2134
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

The force will be released, just not as a wall hits wall..It's more like tectonic plates..One57 is big, it sways and his walls would slide an inch or two or how much I don't know exactly, and make pressure on neighbour's wall..That pressure would repeat every few seconds..In intervals..And neighbour's walls would feel that..There would be small vibrations..And those vibrations would make little cracks which would become bigger and bigger with time..

Everyone who knows a basic physics will know what I mean..
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 01:57 AM   #2135
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_man12345 View Post
^And isn't that why this building is made out of concrete? To reduce sway? Because concrete is much stronger and doesn't sway as much as steel/other materials. Is this correct?
Kinda..But you have to let building to sway to some point..That's the way how building takes force of the wind, earthquake, etc..If you build it too strong, wind or earthquake would brake it just like that..
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 03:38 AM   #2136
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1028

Anyone noticed that this building is already completed on Google Earth? Assuming the scale and cladding are accurate, it'll be a great contribution to midtown.

aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 06:42 AM   #2137
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6559

Hmm they started cladding already.... Everything is moving fast it seems.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 11:44 AM   #2138
Calle_Falsa_123

Likes (Received): 0

Wow!

I want to buy a flat there!
Calle_Falsa_123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 09:01 PM   #2139
Dirty new yorker

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calle_Falsa_123
Wow!

I want to buy a flat there!
I've heard they are extremely expensive
Old October 24th, 2011, 09:06 PM   #2140
Ni3lS

Penthouse for sale! $95800000

Tags
new york city, one57, residential, supertall