daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 9th, 2011, 11:40 PM   #2501
Varghedin
Don't feed the vampire.

Likes (Received): 24

Yes yes, we should all shut up and smile like ninnies whenever something does not make any sense. If you're taking the time to bitch about other people's priorities, I would say you are not a whole lot better. But thank you for caring.

At least the Skyscraper City page header has the right facts rather than the embellished numbers.

Now all we need is street level photos to calculate the height. Is it 170m yet?

Last edited by Varghedin; December 9th, 2011 at 11:47 PM.
Varghedin no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 10th, 2011, 07:25 AM   #2502
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5330

Which angles are you looking for exactly? I can take a pic on my blackberry from the 57th Street side this weekend. I'm not going to the Sheep Meadow, though.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2011, 11:29 AM   #2503
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

This is the angle I'd love to see to calculate height:

image hosted on flickr
Old December 11th, 2011, 03:51 PM   #2504
Bruce.Tenmile

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varghedin View Post
Yes yes, we should all shut up and smile like ninnies whenever something does not make any sense. If you're taking the time to bitch about other people's priorities, I would say you are not a whole lot better. But thank you for caring.

At least the Skyscraper City page header has the right facts rather than the embellished numbers.

Just to continue on with this, because, well it's way more interesting to me than the actual construction at the moment: ok, sure, you can advertise your tower as having 90 floors, but when you get in the elevator, how can they hide the fact that it hasn't got that many? Do they just skip lots of numbers? Do some numbers just not have buttons?

I mean yeah, I take the point that it's the same height, so it makes no real difference, but if you've been sold on the prestige of being on the 87th floor, and you find you're not, how can you not get annoyed? In fact, when they're showing the apartments to buyers, does the realtor or whoever have to hide the console so they can't see, or do they just explain and be up front that they lied?

Last edited by Bruce.Tenmile; December 11th, 2011 at 04:25 PM.
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2011, 04:54 PM   #2505
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

The TWT f.e. lists 90 stories on elevator panels, so yeah they kind of "cheat". But that's nothing to be upset about, well at least not for me.
Old December 11th, 2011, 04:58 PM   #2506
Bruce.Tenmile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK999 View Post
The TWT f.e. lists 90 stories on elevator panels, so yeah they kind of "cheat".
That's the tower I had in mind. So is there a button for every number? Do some of the buttons go to the same floors?
Old December 11th, 2011, 05:06 PM   #2507
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce.Tenmile View Post
That's the tower I had in mind. So is there a button for every number? Do some of the buttons go to the same floors?
That I don't know. I guess they count the underground floors as normal ones, and also skip a few floors here and there.

Sorry for going OT.
Old December 12th, 2011, 04:00 AM   #2509
rencharles
We will never forget

Likes (Received): 93

Wwoww... Finally, photos. Great shots man, you got good angles.
rencharles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 04:39 AM   #2510
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Great shots, buddy! I see they're currently working on 47th fl, mechanical; ~541' (~165m) above street.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 04:50 AM   #2511
Turbosnail

Likes (Received): 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
This thread is to discuss this buildings construction and not floor counting methods, skipped floors and the likes. Its always the same, some one starts such BS and it continues over at least two or three pages, i am sick of it. Also that kind of discussion has no point and value.Its just blah blah. Why do you think we do have mods who ask us to stay on topic and are tired of deleting posts? Def not because these posts adds value.
Settle Petal!
Turbosnail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 08:19 AM   #2512
diablo1

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK999 View Post
That I don't know. I guess they count the underground floors as normal ones, and also skip a few floors here and there.

Sorry for going OT.
The way they generally do it is by skipping floors between sections of the building. So, in the hotel part, the first floor of rooms could be labeled the 8th floor, even if it is only the 3rd floor. In the condo part, the first floor of apartments could be labeled 39 even though it is only the 29th floor of teh building, or something like that. A lot of buildings in NYC use this trick, and probably elsewhere as well. One example is the Sheffield, which was recently converted from rentals to a condo building. During the conversion, the building magically grew from 50 to 57 floors - all they did was relabel all of the floors with their old number + 7. It is silly, but it must work, because a lot of buildings seem to use it...
diablo1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 01:06 PM   #2513
Bruce.Tenmile

Ah great, that makes a lot of sense. Or rather, it still seems totally nonsensical, but that sounds like a plausible way to do it. Good thinking fellow enthusiast.

Last edited by Bruce.Tenmile; December 12th, 2011 at 11:14 PM.
Old December 13th, 2011, 06:29 AM   #2514
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
image hosted on flickr
Excellent photos. You've really gone around the upper end of Midtown for these pics.

I think this is the first pic we've seen here from street level at Columbus Circle.

Here is what it looked like 2 years ago:

source: Enrique Diaz picasa account (https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...UZAV3hnx8v7OMg)
Old December 13th, 2011, 07:13 AM   #2515
599GTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varghedin View Post

ugh get a life.

Floor count? WHO CARES???
599GTB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 08:47 AM   #2516
rgarrison

Likes (Received): 14

^ +1
rgarrison no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 10:21 AM   #2517
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTB View Post
ugh get a life.

Floor count? WHO CARES???

I guess ours opinion doesn't count since we won't live there. So as long as the future owner of the penthouse doesn't care that there is misinformation included in prestige 90 million dollars product then the problem doesn't exist, right?

But honestly if I had a fancy of living on the 90 floor for even as stupid reason as because its my freaking favorite number I would be pissed off when find out the number is fake after paying that kind of money. And even the fact that this is normal procedure in NY doesn't really explains that.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 06:15 PM   #2518
Hendycfc

Likes (Received): 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
I guess ours opinion doesn't count since we won't live there. So as long as the future owner of the penthouse doesn't care that there is misinformation included in prestige 90 million dollars product then the problem doesn't exist, right?

But honestly if I had a fancy of living on the 90 floor for even as stupid reason as because its my freaking favorite number I would be pissed off when find out the number is fake after paying that kind of money. And even the fact that this is normal procedure in NY doesn't really explains that.
STFU.
Hendycfc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 01:41 AM   #2519
dfiler

Likes (Received): 115

Telling people to stfu lowers the quality of this board. Discussing the floor count of this building is entirely on topic. Just because you don't find the discussion interesting doesn't mean at other people feel the same way.

I am quite interested in how the floors will be numbered in this building. Do we know any details yet?
dfiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 03:01 AM   #2520
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Granted, the floor count hullabaloo is on-topic, but what more is there to say? The newest comments add nothing to the debate.

Or to put it another way, why must we continue flagellating this deceased equine?

Tags
new york city, one57, residential, supertall