daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 29th, 2012, 10:25 PM   #2821
Matsky
Matsky

Likes (Received): 43

Awesome renders! Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old January 29th, 2012, 11:03 PM   #2822
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

I walked by on 29 Jan 2012, and the glass is amazing.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 12:26 AM   #2823
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
This cladding is very strange. The cladding on the east half is black and silver while the classing on the west half is blue and white.

Moreover the cladding on the north side is plain light blue glass while on the west facing side of the building it is strongly colored panels. What an amazing set if different cladding styles.

But I don't think I've ever seen two different cladding styles on a building as we are seeing with this building. Very, very strange.
It's not different on the south facade. The glass on the west side of the south facade still is covered withrotective film.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 12:30 AM   #2824
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
It's not different on the south facade. The glass on the west side of the south facade still is covered withrotective film.
Yes, but it still looks different. For example, on the west end there were pure white wavey claddings whereas the east end doesn't have those at all.

Are you saying the white is only protective covering too?

Under the apparent blue tinting it was hard to tell what the true color is. I have the impression it is still blue, but I could be wrong.

Suffice it to say, if all that color is only from protective tape then the cladding on this building is a lot less nice than most people here are thinking it is. It means the south facade is really nothing but a ordinary smoked black and silver combination.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 12:32 AM   #2825
600West218

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCD View Post
January 28th, 2012

To be more precise on my above comments is your assertion that in the above picture even the white is just a covering and not real?

As I said, if all the blue and white go away this cladding job then becomes quite mediocre, certainly nothing special.
Old January 30th, 2012, 05:33 AM   #2826
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
To be more precise on my above comments is your assertion that in the above picture even the white is just a covering and not real?

As I said, if all the blue and white go away this cladding job then becomes quite mediocre, certainly nothing special.
Of course... did you think it would actually look like that ugly mess?
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 05:54 AM   #2827
MDguy

I'm not sure about the cladding so far. From the renders, the east and west facades are the ones im worried won't look very good.
MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 09:17 AM   #2828
sweet-d

Likes (Received): 265

that really is a nice render.
sweet-d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 09:25 AM   #2829
Fardeb

Likes (Received): 5

I wonder when the panels that overhang the entrances in the render will be installed, would they do that soon or would they wait until the building was nearly complete for that kind of thing? Of course that assumes they are still doing them the way they show in the render.
Fardeb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 10:17 AM   #2830
RokasLT

Likes (Received): 1101

If NY will implement all these projects with Ground zero complex it will overpass HK in my top skylines list.
RokasLT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 12:43 PM   #2831
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

it will top all in my list

Alot of skyscrapers are being built worlwide but most are not in the same city.

NYC could have the worlds largest number of 280-400 meter buildings in a decade
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 02:57 PM   #2832
600West218

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Of course... did you think it would actually look like that ugly mess?
I think right now the west half with the blue, white, and grey coloring is the nicest part of the cladding. That is the first part of the 57th street side that went up and people liked it.

Much better than the smoked black, silver stuff that we are seeing on the east side IMO.
Old January 30th, 2012, 05:29 PM   #2833
Curtainwall78

Likes (Received): 0

Hate to break it to those that love the blue and white, but I am pretty sure those are not the actual colors. Protective film that's blue is generally protective film specifically made for glass, while the white protective film is generally applied to metal panels (maybe stainless curved panels under there??). Judging from what's installed on the east end of the south elevation (and looking at the renderings), my guess is that the cladding on the west end of that elevation (currently under protective film) will look just like the cladding that does not have film on it (silver and grey). Also venturing a guess that the cladding with film is protected due to the tower crane above (located on the far west corner of the building), which probably lifts buckets full of concrete all day long, so this area is probably prone to spilling and that must be why the cladding is protected. Regardless of the colors, I think these curved curtainwall panels are very very cool!
Curtainwall78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 06:09 PM   #2834
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

There are three colors I see. The white is white. I don't see it as a film cover. Look at the slim sides and it's too perfect to be a film. The two shades of blue are both glass, one type that is transparent, and the other is very dark tinted. The question is whether they are mirrored glass, or the current pictures just make them look mirrored. I can't tell. What they will look like in-person, finished product (huge section completed) with the film off? I can't wait!

Last edited by Scrapernab2; January 30th, 2012 at 06:23 PM.
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 07:38 PM   #2835
RokasLT

Likes (Received): 1101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
it will top all in my list

Alot of skyscrapers are being built worlwide but most are not in the same city.

NYC could have the worlds largest number of 280-400 meter buildings in a decade
I had that in my mind, becose now HK is number one in my list.
RokasLT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #2836
600West218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtainwall78 View Post
Hate to break it to those that love the blue and white, but I am pretty sure those are not the actual colors. Protective film that's blue is generally protective film specifically made for glass, while the white protective film is generally applied to metal panels (maybe stainless curved panels under there??). Judging from what's installed on the east end of the south elevation (and looking at the renderings), my guess is that the cladding on the west end of that elevation (currently under protective film) will look just like the cladding that does not have film on it (silver and grey). Also venturing a guess that the cladding with film is protected due to the tower crane above (located on the far west corner of the building), which probably lifts buckets full of concrete all day long, so this area is probably prone to spilling and that must be why the cladding is protected. Regardless of the colors, I think these curved curtainwall panels are very very cool!
I think your explanation is likely 100% accurate. Not good news for me - I thought the blue and white would go well with the rest of the building (and does sort of match the renders more than the black and silver) and would set the building apart from all the other smoked glass buildings.

But if I had to put money on it I think you are right. Life goes on.
Old January 30th, 2012, 07:56 PM   #2837
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

Check out the one missing 'white' panel in the picture above. The edges are installed but not the flat front panels. The edges are white.
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #2838
600West218

Yeah, some of the curved ones are white, and some are blue. If that is purely covering what is that about?

Unfortunately, they might leave the protection on for quite a while given the above explanation for it.
Old January 30th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #2839
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8240

this cladding is horrible for any window cleaner
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 10:14 PM   #2840
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28197

no, just use a fire hose.