daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 13th, 2012, 09:36 PM   #2961
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
The 58th Street side was purposefully made reflective glass to create a pre-war continuity in the streetwall and not make One57 look so out of place on that side.
Why aim for continuity on 58th street and not on 57th street? 57th street is also brick pre-war buildings. heck, it is right across from Carnegie Hall.

Continuity is seldom cared for in NYC so I am not sure why it would be in this case on an very seldom trafficted street.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2012, 01:18 PM   #2962
dfiler

Likes (Received): 115

Are these opinions based soley on a few photos seen on this thread? Or is this coming from people that have seen the building in person?

Personally, I'm holding judgment until a wider variety of photos are posted. Time of day, weather, angle, and various other factors make cladding appear differently in photos...
dfiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2012, 03:57 PM   #2963
600West218

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
Are these opinions based soley on a few photos seen on this thread? Or is this coming from people that have seen the building in person?

Personally, I'm holding judgment until a wider variety of photos are posted. Time of day, weather, angle, and various other factors make cladding appear differently in photos...
I am taking pictures of it and see it in person every week.

They are just my opinions. Obviously others can have other opinions. And I think you can form reasonable opinions from the pictures. It doesn't look significantly different in real life.
Old February 14th, 2012, 04:08 PM   #2964
Valkyre

Likes (Received): 89

I seriously dont get what all the fuss is about with the facade reflecting the opposing building. I mean it is not the first time a facade reflects other building nor the last. Besides, I dont think many people are going to focus on what the facade looks like looking up to the first 10-15 floors or so, but what it looks like and what it reflects at 20-30+ floors...

ESB doesnt look that awesome if your standing right in front of it either. In fact it doesnt look that tall even. But move 1-2 blocks away and then you see all of its beauty unfolding. The same will happen with this one. When you are right below it the facade wont be as impressive because it will reflect other buildings sure, but move a bit further or look at it from Central Park and tell me who is going to feel dissapointed with this tower.
Valkyre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2012, 06:00 PM   #2965
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

I couldn't have put it better and I entirely agree.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2012, 11:51 PM   #2966
MattToronto
Less is More

Likes (Received): 97

The reflection of the buildings across the street allow for the tower to nestle itself quite comfortably on the street with other older buildings. I think a lot of thought was put into that, hence the huge panels.
Old February 15th, 2012, 12:00 AM   #2967
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

What's wrong with the cladding? I think it's tasteful and respectful to the buildings around it. I've seen this building in person a dozen times, and I think reflecting the buildings around it is a great idea. It provides continuity, I'd rather have that than some unfitting modern facade.

Random question- Does anyone have a picture of the building(s) that used to occupy this site?
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 09:22 PM   #2968
Matsky
Matsky

Likes (Received): 43

The cladding is daring, but it's at any rate awesome. Would it be black, it would be perfect, but you can't have anything.
Old February 15th, 2012, 10:13 PM   #2969
600West218

Design does make a difference. Someone brought up the ESB as an example of mediocre design. Yes indeed. That is why the Chrysler building is almost universally favored over the ESB.

This building is over 1,000 feet so I'll take. It would just be nice if its design were a little more interesting though.

Another strange thing about the cladding - they put the checkered colors on the side that abuts other buildings and will seldom be seen. Strange.
Old February 15th, 2012, 10:16 PM   #2970
tim1807
faster than buildings

The low part abuts other buildings, but most of the cladding is above the neighbours.
Old February 15th, 2012, 10:29 PM   #2971
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
Design does make a difference. Someone brought up the ESB as an example of mediocre design. Yes indeed. That is why the Chrysler building is almost universally favored over the ESB.

This building is over 1,000 feet so I'll take. It would just be nice if its design were a little more interesting though.

Another strange thing about the cladding - they put the checkered colors on the side that abuts other buildings and will seldom be seen. Strange.
Well, but there are those among us who preffer ESB over CHB

As to the design of 157, I think it is good. It is no where near being a masterpiece but it is still very good and considering it's height and proximity to Central Park I think it will be generaly accepted by New Yorkers. Just my 2 cents
Old February 15th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #2972
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5171

Quote:

It's a shame too. I really like the different colored glass. But since this is New York, one can never tell for certain when the building next door could be demolished.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 07:24 AM   #2973
Curtainwall78

Likes (Received): 0

Back in NYC, I walked by the construction site and saw the building in person after about 4 weeks that I was away. I was there around 2pm, the 57th street cladding was being installed, it looked like they had a few panels left to finish the floor right below the very first setback. More wavy panels were in place since the last picture I saw on this thread, and in my opinion they look cool as hell! A few of the wavy panels were empty, and on those you can see from up close that the vertical framing members of the curtainwall panels are actually curved. It is not just the infill material that is curved and sits inside a normal flat square frame, the actual frame itself seems to be curved! From a technical standpoint, that's very exciting stuff! I am impressed! Does anybody know who the curtainwall contractor is?
Like I wrote on a previous post, the blue is definitely protective film, and I am sure the white is protective film as well, you could tell from the couple of spots were the film is either scratched or starting to peel off. Some white film also had logos on it. Under the blue film you can tell that the silver/grey alternating pattern continues across the entire facade.
The West facade looks pretty interesting, they are playing heavily with different glass, which right now seems to be distributed at random.
The North facade on 58th Street is simple but clean and sharp looking, it looks to me like it is the same silver glass from the 57th street facade, pretty reflective glass will take the color of the sky quite nicely (and yes, the color of the building in front of it too). No grey glass on this side of the building.
There is no cladding on the East side of the building that can be seen from the street.
Curtainwall78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 08:23 AM   #2974
tim1807
faster than buildings

Ok, thanks for that.
Old February 16th, 2012, 08:17 PM   #2975
Hendycfc

Likes (Received): 422

Quote:

ESB is far from a mediocre design. I also would not say the Chrysler is more favoured.
Hendycfc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 01:58 AM   #2976
HardBall

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendycfc View Post
ESB is far from a mediocre design. I also would not say the Chrysler is more favoured.
Not mediocre, but conventionally art deco. Chrysler is generally agreed on the more unique and innovative design of the two; and but for ESB's size, Chrysler would have been more iconic of the manhattan skyline.
HardBall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 05:44 AM   #2977
EddieB317
DE MINIMIS NON CURAT LEX

Likes (Received): 33

I don't agree. But we can all have our opinions... I guess.

I happen to think that things are going to happen for Indianapolis...
EddieB317 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 06:46 AM   #2978
isdmd10

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardBall View Post
Not mediocre, but conventionally art deco. Chrysler is generally agreed on the more unique and innovative design of the two; and but for ESB's size, Chrysler would have been more iconic of the manhattan skyline.
As someone who grew up in NY I have to agree with this.
isdmd10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 03:45 PM   #2979
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

I'll take ESB or the Chrysler building any day. Anyway what's the progress on the cladding, for this building?
Old February 17th, 2012, 07:18 PM   #2980
kdotcarter

Likes (Received): 25

Photos taken on Feb. 16th...
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
kdotcarter no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city, one57, residential, supertall