daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old April 20th, 2012, 10:57 PM   #3341
Eric Offereins
The only way is up
 
Eric Offereins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Rotterdam
Posts: 68,643
Likes (Received): 28195

Assuming there will be 75 or 76 floors, there are roughly 15 to go.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2012, 11:39 PM   #3342
fimiak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 181
Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo1 View Post

Bloomberg's subway trips are a publicity stunt. He takes two police-escorted, chauffeured SUVs from his mansion to the subway stop. On most days he takes the SUVs all the way to his office, but it is good for his image to be seen as in touch with the "common people," hence the subway 1-2 days per week. He often invites reporters and photographers on the subway trips with him, to make sure New Yorkers know about it.

NY Times covered this a few years ago: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/01/ny...bloomberg.html

Sorry to be OT. I thought non-NYC people might be interested in these things... And it is slightly related to One57 parking space... Though not really.

Isn't it normal and healthy for a NYC mayor to make publicity stunts? Bloomberg is by far not the first mayor to do publicity stunts like this. I'd be rather frightened if he didn't go on the subway at all for his entire 3 terms. Besides, he wasn't elected because he is a 'common man' who rides the subway, he was elected because he was the best choice for mayor due to his exceptional private sector record. He was then elected two more times based on his performance as mayor for the prior four/eight years.

But then again, I am of the school of thought that we should pay politicians $2million per year, because we A) want to attract the best talent, and B) want to reduce the incentive of corruption and pull of lobbyists on politicians. This method has worked to much success in Singapore.
fimiak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2012, 06:18 AM   #3343
spectre000
Moderator
 
spectre000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 7,906
Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arawooho View Post
I'm not as professional as some others here, but here are my shots.

Nice to see some new glass installed!
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 01:37 PM   #3344
Hendycfc
Registered User
 
Hendycfc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Rotterdam/Glasgow
Posts: 1,390
Likes (Received): 422

You know how they are using the blue cover over the glass to protect... How far up will that last? Will they begin to put up glass without the cover or will it be like that all the way to the top?
Hendycfc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 08:35 PM   #3345
Arawooho
Registered User
 
Arawooho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York City
Posts: 266
Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendycfc View Post
You know how they are using the blue cover over the glass to protect... How far up will that last? Will they begin to put up glass without the cover or will it be like that all the way to the top?
From my previous knowledge I think they bring it all the way untill it's topped out. That way, they can take them all of at once. I think it's so no glass gets scratched or damaged by the crane moving stuff up and down the exterior of the building. Besides, with facade as amazing as that I'd like to protect it as much as possible.
Arawooho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 10:11 PM   #3346
DinoVabec
Worldwide
 
DinoVabec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the clouds
Posts: 5,900
Likes (Received): 752

I was reading somewhere that some kind of debris fell of the building..No one was hurt or anything but still..
__________________
There are two rules for success:
1. Never tell everything you know.
-Roger H. Lincoln
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 10:32 PM   #3347
Eric Offereins
The only way is up
 
Eric Offereins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Rotterdam
Posts: 68,643
Likes (Received): 28195



http://www.dnainfo.com/20120419/midt...-w-57th-street
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 05:32 AM   #3348
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen
 
iloveclassicrock7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 1,311
Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgosk View Post
Is that your home??
Oh wow.... living their would be unbelievable, so amazing! What is the price to live in one of these condo's ?
iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 05:56 AM   #3349
diablo1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 57
Likes (Received): 0

Some more photos taken today... Unfortunately the weather was not so great... One57 appears to be slightly taller than Carnegie Hall Tower now.



diablo1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 08:47 AM   #3350
tim1807
faster than buildings
 
tim1807's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Den Helder
Posts: 10,325
Likes (Received): 5334

Thanks for your work in the rain.
This tower is almost ready for the setback.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 08:56 PM   #3351
Eric Offereins
The only way is up
 
Eric Offereins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Rotterdam
Posts: 68,643
Likes (Received): 28195

Which setback? It's just past one, see previous page.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 10:59 PM   #3352
tim1807
faster than buildings
 
tim1807's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Den Helder
Posts: 10,325
Likes (Received): 5334

Well, than it's time to remove the scaffolding on that place.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 03:55 AM   #3353
Swiddle
Registered User
 
Swiddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 912
Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoVabec View Post
I was reading somewhere that some kind of debris fell of the building..No one was hurt or anything but still..
I wonder if that's why three of the curved windows are missing at the first setback? They have plywood in them now. Earlier pictures (around page 151) show the panels in place, then later pics show them missing (and no plywood yet).
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 10:39 AM   #3354
599GTB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 96
Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
We are way off the topic of this thread but it is relevant to why they don't build many parking spaces....

Rich people in NYC do not generally have cars and the richer you get the less likely you are to have a car. It is an inverse relationship.

Here are some demographics from the Upper East Side of Manhattan which different data:

http://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...w-York-NY.html

Scroll down and you will see two things:

That people in this area are much richer than most people in NYC ($111,000 versus 50,000 in the rest of NYC - it is reputed to be the richest area in the United States).

And, they have far fewer cars than the people in than the rest of NYC. For people in condos and houses the car ownership rate in the richest part of NYC is .6 per household whereas in NYC as a whole it is 1.1.

BTW, note the average value of a condo on the Upper East Side is 2.7 million versus $700 thousand in the city as a whole.

So again, the more money they make and the more valuable their home is the less likely they are to own a car. The people living in One57 will be off the charts wealthy and therefore they don't need many parking spaces.

Now, I'm sure a few of them might like landing pads for their helicopters
The only people who think like this are out-of-towners who watch too much television. Most rich people in Manhattan own cars. I was raised in the heart of Park Avenue and my parents own cars. I remember the parking garage being littered with Bentleys and the like. Many might not drive it themselves (many employ chauffeurs), but they own cars.

Most people who live on the Upper East Side aren't rich. Again, another fallacy that comes from too much TV watching. When you think the glitzy Upper East Side you're really thinking Upper East Side west of Lexington Avenue, aka 10022.

And according to these figures, most people who live in 10022 own at least one car (registered to that Manhattan zip code -- remember, many rich Manhattanites register their vehicles in the Hamptons and bring it into the city sometimes)

http://www.city-data.com/zips/10022.html

And downtown, the richest neighborhood has been Tribeca's 10013 for decades. And according to the figures, most who live in 10013 own at least one car.

http://www.city-data.com/zips/10013.html

One57, 15CPW, One Beacon Court, Time Warner, 432 Park, Superior Ink didn't build parking garages just for the heck of it. People who live in buildings of that caliber expect parking garage because they use cars, not a freaking subway.

Last edited by 599GTB; April 24th, 2012 at 11:10 AM.
599GTB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 11:15 AM   #3355
599GTB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 96
Likes (Received): 44



599GTB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 04:13 PM   #3356
DinoVabec
Worldwide
 
DinoVabec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the clouds
Posts: 5,900
Likes (Received): 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiddle View Post
I wonder if that's why three of the curved windows are missing at the first setback? They have plywood in them now. Earlier pictures (around page 151) show the panels in place, then later pics show them missing (and no plywood yet).
I was thinkin' the same..Probably yes..They said debris landed on the first floors..
__________________
There are two rules for success:
1. Never tell everything you know.
-Roger H. Lincoln
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 05:09 PM   #3357
600West218
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,734
Likes (Received): 1574

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTB View Post
The only people who think like this are out-of-towners who watch too much television. Most rich people in Manhattan own cars. I was raised in the heart of Park Avenue and my parents own cars. I remember the parking garage being littered with Bentleys and the like. Many might not drive it themselves (many employ chauffeurs), but they own cars.

Most people who live on the Upper East Side aren't rich. Again, another fallacy that comes from too much TV watching. When you think the glitzy Upper East Side you're really thinking Upper East Side west of Lexington Avenue, aka 10022.

And according to these figures, most people who live in 10022 own at least one car (registered to that Manhattan zip code -- remember, many rich Manhattanites register their vehicles in the Hamptons and bring it into the city sometimes)

http://www.city-data.com/zips/10022.html

And downtown, the richest neighborhood has been Tribeca's 10013 for decades. And according to the figures, most who live in 10013 own at least one car.

http://www.city-data.com/zips/10013.html

One57, 15CPW, One Beacon Court, Time Warner, 432 Park, Superior Ink didn't build parking garages just for the heck of it. People who live in buildings of that caliber expect parking garage because they use cars, not a freaking subway.
I live in Manhattan and have for more than 3 decades so the stuff you are writing is for the benefit of out of towners given that I know better
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 05:13 PM   #3358
Victhor
Que paza!!!
 
Victhor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Spain/Shanghai
Posts: 2,501
Likes (Received): 1704

It's starting to look slender from some angles, I hope it gets more and more slender as it get closer to be topped, that's how I like skyscrapers in NY.
Victhor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 05:15 PM   #3359
600West218
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,734
Likes (Received): 1574

By the way, the 10022 stats didn't make your case. Only 50% have a car according to that.

So for the umpteemth time the garage in this building will have more than enough parking spots given how few residents are likely to have a car around.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 11:04 PM   #3360
fimiak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 181
Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
By the way, the 10022 stats didn't make your case. Only 50% have a car according to that.

So for the umpteemth time the garage in this building will have more than enough parking spots given how few residents are likely to have a car around.
Can the hotel guests not use the garage? It would seem to me that some of the garage would be reserved for hotel guest parking. Some spots perhaps for the hotel itself to use for various functions.
fimiak no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
new york city, one57, residential, supertall

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu