daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 30th, 2012, 04:13 PM   #3621
Skyscrapercitizen
TIMBY

Likes (Received): 5447

How do general people in NYC think about this tower? In my country people would be angry on 'billionaires ruining the view from the park'. Are there any of such *******s in NYC as well?

Sponsored Links
Old May 30th, 2012, 04:25 PM   #3622
the man from k-town
Frankfurt-Lover <3

Likes (Received): 6901

nice angle:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yekkes/7283617692/
Old May 30th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #3623
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscrapercitizen View Post
How do general people in NYC think about this tower? In my country people would be angry on 'billionaires ruining the view from the park'. Are there any of such *******s in NYC as well?
The entire neighborhood consists of ******* billionaires blocking the views of other ******* billionaires. This has been going on for over 120 years.

Last edited by Uaarkson; May 31st, 2012 at 12:13 AM.
Uaarkson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #3624
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscraperneighbor View Post
Im Not Sure If This Video Has Been Posted Before...But Its Kinda Cool :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgtObfxp8U0
Old May 30th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #3625
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

Quote:
Originally Posted by the man from k-town View Post
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yekkes/

Nice!
Old May 30th, 2012, 04:31 PM   #3626
Ed007Toronto

Likes (Received): 71

Great photo.

MyMiniCity
http://ed007ville.myminicity.com/ind
Ed007Toronto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 05:04 PM   #3627
Aqua_Chicago

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Ruining the view??

I do not think it is ruining any view from the park.
I believe there is enough park for everyone to enjoy the view from hundreds of different points.
I do not know what you mean?
Aqua_Chicago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 06:55 PM   #3628
Cyclonefan

Likes (Received): 1

Considering the park is in the middle of one of the biggest cities in the world, I see any construction, whether it blocks views or not, as progress. It just makes the view all that much better!
Cyclonefan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 07:27 PM   #3629
PDC1987

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua_Chicago View Post
Ruining the view??

I do not think it is ruining any view from the park.
I believe there is enough park for everyone to enjoy the view from hundreds of different points.
I do not know what you mean?
Many condos in the Metropolitan Tower (the black building directly behind One57) have had their park views compromised (but not totally blocked) by the tower.
PDC1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 08:12 PM   #3630
Aqua_Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDC1987 View Post
Many condos in the Metropolitan Tower (the black building directly behind One57) have had their park views compromised (but not totally blocked) by the tower.
effectively, but I meant to comment on the views from the park, not at the park.
Old May 30th, 2012, 08:14 PM   #3631
Aqua_Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclonefan View Post
Considering the park is in the middle of one of the biggest cities in the world, I see any construction, whether it blocks views or not, as progress. It just makes the view all that much better!
totally agree
Old May 30th, 2012, 08:47 PM   #3632
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

there isn't even a view from the park, you're already surrounded by tall buildings.
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 09:02 PM   #3633
Aqua_Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
there isn't even a view from the park, you're already surrounded by tall buildings.
Thank goodness.

otherwise could not be called NEW YORK
Old May 30th, 2012, 10:57 PM   #3634
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Quote:
I am sure there are a lot of people who don't like it. Mainly people who use the park. It will cast a big shadow during part of the day and cut down on light in the park. The shadow of this thing will probably easily reach the Sheap Medow where people like to sun bath and relax in the sun. That is why I am surprised this was not blocked to begin with.

The TWC had its height severly limited for precisely that reason.

Remember, what makes the city nice to visit - big impressive buildings - doesn't necessarily do any favors to those who live here. So they can see things from a different perspective without being "*******s".
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 12:15 AM   #3635
Scott Luke

Likes (Received): 0

There will be virtually no noticeable shadow cast, thus ruining sunbathers' days. That is absurd.
Scott Luke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 12:15 AM   #3636
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
I am sure there are a lot of people who don't like it. Mainly people who use the park. It will cast a big shadow during part of the day and cut down on light in the park. The shadow of this thing will probably easily reach the Sheap Medow where people like to sun bath and relax in the sun. That is why I am surprised this was not blocked to begin with.

The TWC had its height severly limited for precisely that reason.

Remember, what makes the city nice to visit - big impressive buildings - doesn't necessarily do any favors to those who live here. So they can see things from a different perspective without being "*******s".
I have never seen someone overstate the effects of a building's shadows more than in this post. This is straight-up NIMBY talk. Begone!

One57's shadow will block some poor sunbather's light for 4-5 minutes max, less if they decide to move over a few feet. Give me a break.
Old May 31st, 2012, 01:06 AM   #3637
600West218

shadows are a major issue for all building around New York. Zoning laws were changed because of the canyons in lower Manhattan that were virtually always without sunlight.

Around Central Park shadows have also been a big issue. Witness:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/15/ny...sina.html?_r=1

Critics also say the condo tower would leave part of Central Park and local playgrounds in shadow. A city environmental review found that a tall, narrow building, like the proposed tower, would cast less shadow on open spaces than would a shorter, wider building. But opponents of the project are dismayed by the fact that, according to Mount Sinai officials, during the morning at certain times of the year, its shadow would stretch about two-thirds of the way across the park.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Warner_Center

Boston's winning bid was $455 million for the site. It was to be the headquarters of Salomon Brothers. The building ran into intense opposition (including most prominently Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis) who were concerned it would cast a shadow on Central Park. In 1988 a court ruled that the building violated the city's own zoning ordinances. At about the same time, Salomon Brothers backed out.

Here is an actual shadow analysis:

http://www.protectwest70.org/2007-do...hadows_CPW.pdf

As it notes, by law a shadow analysis must be done on any building that will cast a shadow over a public space.

Someone actually does a list each year of the top ten apartment buildings casting shadows on parks

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/2/prweb9153944.htm

In honor of Groundhog Day, Carter B. Horsley Lists New York City Apartment Buildings Casting Shadows on Parks.

“Once a year, we all wait to see if the groundhog sees his shadow for an extended winter,” said Carter B. Horsley, CityRealty editor and architecture expert. “But all year long, New York City’s apartment buildings cast interesting shadows throughout the city, especially on our parks,” he added.

Time Warner Center was number one on the list.

Probably One57 didn't provoke a big fight because it is right in front of other tall towers.

It will be interesting to see what will happen if a super tall is proposed on the sight Extel has a block west from One57. I suspect that will provoke court cases, and the openents might win the court cases like they did with Time Warner.

Full discloser - I live up in Inwood so I very rarely use Central Park. But it is there to be a park for the people who live around it, not to be simply a backdrop for photograhs for tourists. So I can understand why people wouldn't want huge buildings right next to it.
Old May 31st, 2012, 01:52 AM   #3638
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

It's an exaggerated non-issue, and a pointless one at that. The building is almost topped out.
Old May 31st, 2012, 04:08 AM   #3639
Gendo

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
According to Mount Sinai officials, during the morning at certain times of the year, its shadow would stretch about two-thirds of the way across the park.
Yeah, in the dead of Winter. Who is sunbathing in Central Park during January? lol
Gendo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 04:42 AM   #3640
600West218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gendo View Post
Yeah, in the dead of Winter. Who is sunbathing in Central Park during January? lol
People don't go to Central Park in the winter? You should pay a visit some time. People like their vitamin D in the winter.

Anyways, a simple question was posed of if some people in New York might not like this tower and I gave an answer. Not even my own opinion, but I am pointing out why some people might oppose building certain buildings.

Enough said. Hopefully we can get back to construction pictures.

Tags
new york city, one57, residential, supertall