daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 1st, 2012, 04:47 AM   #3821
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

One57 from last week:

image hosted on flickr

Untitled by 600West218, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

I still think the blue tinting looks way better. In fact, as I stood there staring at it I got all excited but then I remembered that the blue will go away and it will all be silver. What a come down.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

It't been really fun watching this building climb into the sky. Seems like it was yesterday that it was a young pup straining to overtake its neighbors. Can't wait to see it have some more super tall company soon.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2012, 06:44 AM   #3822
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

image hosted on flickr

Met Roof by Phil Davis NY, on Flickr
Old July 1st, 2012, 08:58 AM   #3823
harsh1802
MAVerick

Likes (Received): 101

Great snap!

Webcams Thread / Hyderabad Cityscapes

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." - Richard Dawkins
harsh1802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2012, 07:16 PM   #3824
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

absolutely! you really can see how big the Central park is
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2012, 07:56 PM   #3825
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22550

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
absolutely! you really can see how big the Central park is
that's only half
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2012, 08:06 PM   #3826
dexter2
Pijcie portera z BŁ!

Likes (Received): 18847

That blue cover is totally awful. I'm really glad It'll dissapear.

Bo gdzie byś nie był i jak by cię nie przyjęli
Nigdy nie będziesz się czuł jak na Obiecanej Ziemi

Łódź - Remonty kamienic i zabytków - 2010, 2011, 2012
Łódzkie absurdy drogowe - ŁAD na Facebooku!

NYC & EastCoast USA!
dexter2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 10:17 AM   #3827
the man from k-town
Frankfurt-Lover <3

Likes (Received): 6870

image hosted on flickr

hazy, hot and humid von pmarella auf Flickr

20h ago
Old July 2nd, 2012, 04:26 PM   #3828
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

Qatar prime minister to buy $250M of One57 condos

July 02, 2012 08:30AM

"The prime minister of Qatar has negotiated deals to by about $250 million worth of apartments in Extell Development’s One57 tower, including a nearly $100 million penthouse, the New York Post reported. Sheik Hamad bin Jassim bin Jaber al-Thani turned his attention to Gary Barnett’s building after his bid to buy Huguette Clark’s Fifth Avenue penthouse for $31.5 million was rejected by the co-op board.

The 10,923-square-foot penthouse was already reported to be in contract for a nine-figure price north of $90 million, but the buyer’s identity was unknown. Sheik Hamad is also in discussions with purchasing four separate full-floor condominium units in the building, at 157 West 57th Street, which could bring the total purchase price to $250 million..."
yankeesfan1000 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 05:07 PM   #3829
dexhed

Likes (Received): 0

Looks good!
dexhed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 05:27 PM   #3830
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

While I'm happy to see this project as a financial success. It's hard to get too excited about sales numbers when the buyers will only be living in them a few weeks a year (if ever). What a waste.

At least the building will have a hotel and not be entirely unoccupied. I really love 15CPW, but seeing it in person at night and only seeing a handful of windows lit, was kinda depressing.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 05:55 PM   #3831
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
Qatar prime minister to buy $250M of One57 condos

July 02, 2012 08:30AM

"The prime minister of Qatar has negotiated deals to by about $250 million worth of apartments in Extell Development’s One57 tower, including a nearly $100 million penthouse, the New York Post reported. Sheik Hamad bin Jassim bin Jaber al-Thani turned his attention to Gary Barnett’s building....
I believe that this is the same guy was involved with One Hyde Park in London.

Last edited by RobertWalpole; July 2nd, 2012 at 07:22 PM.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 06:52 PM   #3832
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57943

At least those sheikhs are investing their money in a more sustainable way than just letting it rot on some bank accounts, hiding it under their pillow or whatever.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 07:32 PM   #3833
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
The developers of said poperty, Candy and Candy, apparently considered buying into One57 too but backed out: (they later bought into....wait for it...The Plaza! *snicker*)

Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/01/re...ewanted=1&_r=1

EVEN in a 17,000-square-foot apartment I didn’t expect to feel so lost. But visiting the duplex penthouse at One Hyde Park owned by Nick Candy reminded me of my first time in Times Square, when I was stricken with sensory overload.

The apartment, on the 11th floor of one of four pavilions in the development, is packed with rare artwork, giant slabs of marble and myriad design details like concealed televisions, hidden cameras and fiber-optic lighting, a private gym, his-and-hers studies, even his-and-hers bathtubs with multicolored “light therapy. I have had the top people in the world into this flat, and they have seen everything and they say there is nothing quite like this,” Mr. Candy said, while showing me his penthouse recently. The cavernous apartment, which Mr. Candy and his fiancée, Holly Valance, an Australian actor and singer, moved into last month, is a sprawling example of the strategy that has made the Candy brothers — Nick, 39, and Christian, 37 — so successful, so fast: push high-end real estate so high that only the truly superwealthy can possibly afford it.

Before there was 15 Central Park West or One57 in New York, One Hyde Park was shattering per-square-foot sales records and forcing the London real estate establishment to take note of the ambitious upstarts. The brothers, who were the visionaries behind the 86-apartment project, are now looking at development opportunities in New York and Los Angeles, Nick Candy said. They now have a stateside address, too. After an aborted effort to buy apartments at One57 (more on that later), Christian Candy closed on a 6,300-square-foot penthouse at the Plaza in March for $25.9 million.

But for now, One Hyde Park remains their calling card. Since 2007, the development has sold 62 of its apartments for a total of about $2.34 billion. It has passed the 4,000-, 5,000- and 6,000-pound-per-square-foot milestones, according to Knight Frank Residential Research, and even sailed past the 7,000-pound-per-square-foot marker with the sale of a 27,000-square-foot penthouse to Rinat Akhmetov, a Ukrainian billionaire, for £136.4 million (about $214 million). He is sinking another $90 million into renovating the triplex, according to a spokeswoman for Candy & Candy, the brothers’ interior design firm. (The more than $7,900 per square foot that Mr. Akhmetov paid still falls short of the stunning $13,000 per square foot paid by a Russian oligarch for Sanford I. Weill’s apartment at 15 Central Park West, considered an anomaly in the market.)

The brothers’ sudden arrival on the scene has drawn questions from rivals about how they became so rich so fast, whether their business practices lack transparency and whether they have relied too heavily on their backers, especially Sheikh Hamad of Qatar. They have certainly had setbacks. In 2009 their investment partner, the Qatari Diar Real Estate Investment Company, pulled out of a venture to build 552 apartments at a former army barracks after Prince Charles condemned the glass-and-steel development plan. A year later CPC Group was forced to hand back a site planned for luxury apartments in Beverly Hills, Calif., after its consortium defaulted on a $365.5 million loan. Nick Candy said they overpaid for the site, which they bought for $500 million in 2007; it sold in 2010 for $148.3 million.

“When you are in real estate,” Mr. Candy said, “you are going to make some mistakes.”

And he may have burned one bridge in New York earlier this year when a negotiation fell apart to buy two apartments — a full-floor and a one-bedroom — in One57. Mr. Candy said he ultimately decided not to buy in the building in large part because he was concerned it would have too few elevators (it will have three, to be shared by residents and service personnel). “We were worried that it would be a building site for 10 years afterwards,” he said. “You haven’t got enough lifts to get the renovations done.”

Gary Barnett, the president of the Extell Development Company, who received the Candy brothers at his home in Queens and gave them a rare tour of the construction site, testily rebutted the claim. “That’s a cheap shot,” Mr. Barnett said Wednesday. “The elevators are absolutely fine. In fact, they liked our building so much and thought it was such a great investment that they wanted to be able to buy and flip it for a big profit, which we would not allow. That is the only reason the deal didn’t happen.” (Mr. Barnett showed me e-mail exchanges with Mr. Candy that supported his version of events.)

Mr. Candy said that in addition to the penthouse at the Plaza that Candy & Candy is renovating, he is looking to buy a home in Los Angeles for himself and Ms. Valance, who lived there for seven years while pursuing an acting career that has included roles on the HBO comedy “Entourage” and in “Pledge This!,” a National Lampoon movie. “I have been to all the best homes in L.A.,” ranging in price from $50 million to $150 million, he said, and not just those listed on the market. While he has yet to pull the trigger, he said, he is “getting closer.”

[...]

Old July 2nd, 2012, 08:00 PM   #3834
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

It's nice to see that you folks were right. Rich people indeed want a safe haven and NYC indeed is that haven
Old July 2nd, 2012, 08:14 PM   #3835
Aqua_Chicago

Likes (Received): 41

if I were a millionaire I would not hesitate a moment to buy an apartment on top of the ONE57. only a few lucky can live in addition as centrally located and overlooking central park
Aqua_Chicago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 11:20 PM   #3836
babybackribs2314

Likes (Received): 545

If I were a millionaire, I would wait for 432 Park, 225 West 57th, or 220 CPS. 432 Park will have better views while both 220 CPS and 225 W57th will have better views and better locations, with 220 CPS having the best location. I would still love to live in One57 though, as it's phenomenal all-around... there will be better products within five years, though.

& follow YIMBY on Twitter! New York YIMBY Twitter
babybackribs2314 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 11:37 PM   #3837
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28195

perhaps, but then you would have to wait longer before you can move in.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2012, 02:26 AM   #3838
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Has there been any visible increase in height since the "top out" was announced? I really hope this does go up some more.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2012, 05:20 AM   #3839
Costa&Ribeiro

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Yes, he is the current owner of Harrods and one of the guys behind the financial support of the One Hyde Park, the home of most exclusive, luxury and expensive apartments of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
If I were a millionaire, I would wait for 432 Park, 225 West 57th, or 220 CPS. 432 Park will have better views while both 220 CPS and 225 W57th will have better views and better locations, with 220 CPS having the best location. I would still love to live in One57 though, as it's phenomenal all-around... there will be better products within five years, though.
Only 220 CPS could have better views, anyway One 57 will be consideraly taller.

The true? I don't think you can find something better then this:

One 57 is the best product on market now and will be the best for at least 10 years.

Last edited by Costa&Ribeiro; July 3rd, 2012 at 06:30 AM.
Costa&Ribeiro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2012, 05:32 AM   #3840
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

432 Park and 225 W 57th will be much taller, so the views should be better.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city, one57, residential, supertall