daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 30th, 2012, 10:39 PM   #4741
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
Another expert, Jason Kenna of Heede Southeast believes that the crane can lower itself in a reverse top-climbing procedure until it reaches a point where other equipment can begin dismantling it.
I don't know if I'm the idiot here, but doesn't crane need its own boom to get those tower sections in and out to lower itself? At least that's how it grew.
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 30th, 2012, 10:41 PM   #4742
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Do you guys think cladding will be finished by June of 2013?

Highcliff liked this post
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 10:59 PM   #4743
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

DOB: One57 Crane Appears Safe, But It Could Be Days Before It Is Secured

Quote:
Superstorm Sandy has been full of dramatic events, from the fire in Breezy Point to the flooding of all those tunnels, the explosion of the Con Edison plant, submersion of the Rockaways… it has been a terrifying 24 hours. But perhaps no moment typified the New York-iness of this storm quite like the crane accident at One57. Where but here would you find a death-defying incident 1,000 feet in the air involving a home for the world’s billionaires?

With that in mind, many New Yorkers have been wondering just what the fate of the crane boom that has been hanging precariously for more than a day would be. According to the Department of Buildings, inspections reveal that the crane should be safe for now, but given the difficult conditions from the storm, it has been very difficult to inspect the damage directly. “Our engineers have been on the scene all day now with the crane,” Tony Sclafani, the DOB spokesman, said in a phone interview. “Up until this point, they have not been able to access the building due to high winds. But last night, two inspectors made their way up to the 70th floor, floor by floor, step by step, to make sure all the connections to the crane were secure. They were accompanied by firefighters along the way.”

The crane currently sits near the 90th floor of the building, which is the penthouse, so it was difficult to inspect everything, but the department remains confident that the boom will not be falling barring some unforeseen disaster. Mr. Sclafani stressed that the inspection was in the early stages and the department was more concerned with securing the crane than determining what caused the accident, though it appeared to be a wind-related issue. “Right now, the concern is stabilization, and we are working on a plan to fully stabilize the crane,” Mr. Sclafani said.

He said that it could take a few days before the crane is secure, but the exact measures required would become more clear “in the next few hours.” He said the Department of Buildings, along with the Fire Department, would be working around the clock to secure the crane and one possible solution would be to tether the boom to the building or the body of the crane until a new crane can be erected to disassembled the damaged crane. Such an operation could take days or even weeks according to industry experts.

For the time being, construction will be halted at the site and an evacuation order for the surrounding area remains in effect.
Mr. Sclafani said Extell Development, the firm behind the city’s tallest apartment building, and its contractors are fully complying with the investigation. In a brief phone call with The Observer, Mr. Barnett said simply, “It is what is is and everything is being dealt with. It’s going to be O.K.” He said his p.r. firm, Rubinstein Associates, had prepared a statement, but that was more than an hour ago and none has materialized.

Last edited by desertpunk; October 31st, 2012 at 03:21 AM.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 11:33 PM   #4744
Costa&Ribeiro

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2.
Do you guys think cladding will be finished by June of 2013?
Cladding will be finished this year.
Costa&Ribeiro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 11:41 PM   #4745
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa&Ribeiro View Post
Cladding will be finished this year.
Probably not anymore
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 11:46 PM   #4746
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

One thing i wonder is, how many law suits this case will open, and how this case and it´s aftermath will effect Extell´s works on 225W 57th.
Old October 31st, 2012, 01:33 AM   #4747
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28195

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoVabec View Post
I don't know if I'm the idiot here, but doesn't crane need its own boom to get those tower sections in and out to lower itself? At least that's how it grew.
Will be interesting to see how they'll do that. I don't see how that would work without removing the boom first.

Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 02:54 AM   #4748
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
Will be interesting to see how they'll do that. I don't see how that would work without removing the boom first.

Me to. I've watched a lot of videos on this and read a bunch of articles online and am not sure if it has ever been done. I even watched a news interview earlier which supposedly had a "crane expert" on and he said they will have to erect another crane to disassemble the disabled one. He said it could take a week or longer and that is after they make sure the disabled crane is stable enough.
4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 03:12 AM   #4749
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

Ah someone at the office today told about a crane on a skyscraper that got badly damaged during the storm. I was so praying that it wasn't freedom/one57/broadway..
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel

Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 04:52 AM   #4750
ollo

Likes (Received): 46

ollo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 05:03 AM   #4751
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Yeah, it sucks. This tower was going incredibly fast lately.

L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 05:08 AM   #4752
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2092

The Onion has already written a blurb about this

http://www.theonion.com/articles/mom...er-that,30166/
DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 05:08 AM   #4753
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Quote:
What Bloomberg said today was they will secure the crane and mast to the building. Then they will raise another crane. Then that crane will lower this crane.

If that is how it goes then maybe the new crane stays and finishes the job.

Also, is the cladding brought up by the crane or the construction elevators? If the latter then maybe some work can still continue? Most likely not though. With a boo boo like this the City will want a review of this entire project.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 05:39 AM   #4754
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 989

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
maybe the new crane stays and finishes the job.

Thats what the "crane expert" said in the interview i watched. The way he made it sound, it will only take a few days to erect a new crane to the same height of the current disabled crane. He also said it would take longer to secure the disabled crane and make sure the tower is safe then to erect a new one. I've been searching the net for that such interview with no luck and of course i wasn't DVRing it. Anybody got it?
4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 07:32 AM   #4755
noms78

Likes (Received): 244

Quote:
Originally Posted by CxIxMaN View Post
Hmm did anyone else notice several of the columns in this photo (top right and bottom section) arent standing vertical????
noms78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 07:42 AM   #4756
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

If I recall correctly I believe that is how it was designed and built. There were definitely concrete supports that curved on this structure.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 07:54 AM   #4757
IngMarco

Likes (Received): 2630

That's how they go when the columns aproach the setback.
IngMarco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 08:41 AM   #4758
Anonymous Rodent

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
If the power unit & winch up top were not damaged, then it seems they could attach the lift cable to the boom, then cut off most of the boom and lower it down with the winch. This is also assuming that the pulley at the rear is also usable. In theory, they could also use that rear section as a boom to lower down tower sections.

If the power unit or winch up top is damaged, then they could instead use a ground-based winch, with the cable going up to a pulley on top. If there is no suitable pulley up there, they could set one up. It might take multiple stages to get everything up there: first carry a string and a small pulley up, then use that to lift a larger cable, larger pulley, etc.

I suppose the main reason why they might not do any of that is the risk associated with unproven techniques. They'd have to do all sorts of engineering to prove the feasibility, then convince several groups (the city, insurers, investors, etc.) that it is the best choice. It will probably be easier to sign off on simpler ideas.
Anonymous Rodent no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 10:02 AM   #4759
micrip

Likes (Received): 1050

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4npower View Post
Thats what the "crane expert" said in the interview i watched. The way he made it sound, it will only take a few days to erect a new crane to the same height of the current disabled crane. He also said it would take longer to secure the disabled crane and make sure the tower is safe then to erect a new one. I've been searching the net for that such interview with no luck and of course i wasn't DVRing it. Anybody got it?
I believe that was on NBC nightly news...Diane Sawyer's report. I saw it as well.
Old October 31st, 2012, 10:55 AM   #4760
abc

Likes (Received): 313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Rodent View Post
If the power unit & winch up top were not damaged, then it seems they could attach the lift cable to the boom, then cut off most of the boom and lower it down with the winch. This is also assuming that the pulley at the rear is also usable. In theory, they could also use that rear section as a boom to lower down tower sections.

If the power unit or winch up top is damaged, then they could instead use a ground-based winch, with the cable going up to a pulley on top. If there is no suitable pulley up there, they could set one up. It might take multiple stages to get everything up there: first carry a string and a small pulley up, then use that to lift a larger cable, larger pulley, etc.

I suppose the main reason why they might not do any of that is the risk associated with unproven techniques. They'd have to do all sorts of engineering to prove the feasibility, then convince several groups (the city, insurers, investors, etc.) that it is the best choice. It will probably be easier to sign off on simpler ideas.
I like your thinking.. but who is going to volunteer to climb down that boom to anchor a line.. But yeah if the winch is working it's a thought.. A second crane seems the best option, maybe where they placed the first one.. But it will involve big collars due to the setback.. It'll also involve a bit of the glass coming off for the ties.. and where do you source the 300 metres of tower sections? So many questions?
abc no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city, one57, residential, supertall