daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 31st, 2012, 11:55 PM   #4781
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

Bloomberg says One57 street closure expected to end this weekend

Quote:
Mayor Michael Bloomberg said today that he expects individuals could return to their homes and offices near One57 this weekend. The block of West 57th Street was cleared following the collapse of a crane at the luxury tower on Monday, and city and private engineers are working to fully secure and, eventually, dismantle the suspended crane.

If the weather cooperates, the city expects to tie down the crane this weekend, “dramatically” reducing the size of the area that has been evacuated, Mayor Bloomberg said. However, it could take weeks to build another crane, and the mayor warned that some “sporadic closings” could take place as crews take down pieces of the One57 crane, he said.

“We are not going to jeopardize somebody’s life to make a deadline that you write,” Mayor Bloomberg told a reporter at a press conference this afternoon.

Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by desertpunk; November 1st, 2012 at 02:21 AM.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2012, 12:12 AM   #4782
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
Is that 1WTC in the background with 2 perfectly functioning cranes?
Yup, it's 1WTC showing 157 how crane maintenance during a hurricane should look like

Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 01:24 AM   #4783
Dubrovnik
Architectural Digest

Likes (Received): 2584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
Is that 1WTC in the background with 2 perfectly functioning cranes?
It looks to close

Dubrovnik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 02:48 AM   #4784
roogenial
In da gym

Likes (Received): 2291

It is 1WTC.
roogenial no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 03:28 AM   #4785
abc

Likes (Received): 313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Rodent View Post
Here's a close-up I snapped today:

Link: (if it doesn't show up)
http://www.mejuba.com/albums/CityZen.../show/original
Is it just me, or has the machine deck slewed to the right since the boom collapse
abc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 06:13 AM   #4786
325ccr

Likes (Received): 82

Says the rig was weathervaned

http://enr.construction.com/products...actor-Says.asp
325ccr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 07:37 AM   #4787
abc

Likes (Received): 313

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325ccr View Post
If thats the case, then maybe the boom wasnt at the right angle
abc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 10:15 AM   #4788
micrip

Likes (Received): 1051

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubrovnik View Post
It looks to close

Photog used a very long lens...that's one of the effects
Old November 1st, 2012, 11:24 AM   #4789
beaky
BANNED

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejacko5 View Post
we have seen tower cranes slew and fail in the wind before.

the DOB directive was to lash the main load line to the structure and then engage a small amount of line pull.

we can see from the video that this crane was not lashed to the building as directed.

I know if two firsthand examples where this was done and the cranes are OK today.

i also know that the tower cranes on 1WTC did this and they are OK today.
i'm not challenging you, i want just want some information. do you know where you heard or read of this DOB directive? i would like to look at it.

sometimes the main load line is attached to the jib/boom with a small line pull to stop it flailing in the wind. but attaching it to a building is dangerous. the wind loading on such a crane could impart torsion stresses that could bring the crane down. they are not designed to be put in such a position.

in a hurricane, lower the jib slightly more than the normal out of service position and put it in free-slew.

if the world trade centre cranes are attached to the building in storms, this would suggest that they are mounted too close together to be put in the usual out of service position. this is an outrageous practice that will end in whistle blowers and law suits.
beaky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 12:29 PM   #4790
gevorika78

Likes (Received): 3605

Hello Guys,

Sending you love and support from Dubai. You are in our prayers.
gevorika78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 01:02 PM   #4791
Dave84

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed_Kandi View Post
That crane looks like a limp pecker.
LOL nice one... it really does...
Dave84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 01:26 PM   #4792
raider12

Likes (Received): 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by gevorika78 View Post
Hello Guys,

Sending you love and support from Dubai. You are in our prayers.
very nice of you
raider12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 04:52 PM   #4793
Erektion

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Rodent View Post
Here's a close-up I snapped today:

Link: (if it doesn't show up)
http://www.mejuba.com/albums/CityZen.../show/original
I'm going to have to assume that the second row of columns from the left are actually straight right? Is it a photo distortion, as they don't look perfectly vertical? Perhaps it's my iPad
Erektion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 05:08 PM   #4794
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Likes (Received): 12614

Replace the damn crane already and get back to work. The storm was soooo 2 days ago.
Hed_Kandi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 05:30 PM   #4795
udo.d

Likes (Received): 27

Weathervaned or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325ccr View Post
The above mentioned article is very informative and if you haven't read it you should. The question whether the crane was weathervaned or not is going to be key for the investigation and for deciding who has to pay for this mess.

After reading the report I was wondering about the wind direction during the time it happened. Pictures I found on flickr suggest that the crane was pointing north-east at the time of the collapse and also the night before. If the crane brakes weren't set the wind should have been coming steadily from the south-west to make the crane point that way.

Looking at the map of hurricane Sandy's path and knowing that hurricanes circulate counter-clockwise in the northern hemisphere tell me however that the wind must have been coming from the east or even north-east at Monday afternoon.

I am not a weather nor a crane expert but I now have a hard time believing that the crane was weathervaned.
udo.d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 06:21 PM   #4796
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

This will help you. It was posted here earlier by the forumer Atmosphere.

Here is another shot of it from youtube:

Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 06:45 PM   #4797
uakoops
Sidewalk Superintendent

Likes (Received): 396

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaky View Post
i'm not challenging you, i want just want some information. do you know where you heard or read of this DOB directive? i would like to look at it.

sometimes the main load line is attached to the jib/boom with a small line pull to stop it flailing in the wind. but attaching it to a building is dangerous. the wind loading on such a crane could impart torsion stresses that could bring the crane down. they are not designed to be put in such a position.

in a hurricane, lower the jib slightly more than the normal out of service position and put it in free-slew.

if the world trade centre cranes are attached to the building in storms, this would suggest that they are mounted too close together to be put in the usual out of service position. this is an outrageous practice that will end in whistle blowers and law suits.
On 1WTC the usual practice seems to be to tie the load line to the structure when the cranes are not in use. Based on what I can see in the pictures during the storm one crane was tied to the building and the other was free swinging. like you said they may be too close together to allow them both to swing. The amount of side force allowed probably has to do with the height of the tower and how it is secured to the building etc.
uakoops está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 07:15 PM   #4798
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaky View Post

The DOB has asked that this practice be used on cranes over the weekends when winds are expected.

The DOB called both of the major crane engineering outfits in the city on Friday to get a list of cranes in service.

They then asked that all booms be tied off in order to minimize the swaying impact.

Phone calls then went out from the DOB to the engineers on monday asking to confirm with the crane users that this had been done.

Free slew is not something they like here. I would guess that the feeling is the city is too dense to allow it. Cranes are not allowed to be kept over streets or other property. If a crane collapses, they want it collapsing into the job site.

you can reference this thread for any photos you need to see the cranes at 1WTC.
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 07:17 PM   #4799
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by udo.d View Post
The above mentioned article is very informative and if you haven't read it you should. The question whether the crane was weathervaned or not is going to be key for the investigation and for deciding who has to pay for this mess.

After reading the report I was wondering about the wind direction during the time it happened. Pictures I found on flickr suggest that the crane was pointing north-east at the time of the collapse and also the night before. If the crane brakes weren't set the wind should have been coming steadily from the south-west to make the crane point that way.

Looking at the map of hurricane Sandy's path and knowing that hurricanes circulate counter-clockwise in the northern hemisphere tell me however that the wind must have been coming from the east or even north-east at Monday afternoon.

I am not a weather nor a crane expert but I now have a hard time believing that the crane was weathervaned.
the wind was very much north-northeasterly during the heights of the storm. I was outside in it.
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 07:48 PM   #4800
scalziand
Naugatuckian

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erektion View Post
I'm going to have to assume that the second row of columns from the left are actually straight right? Is it a photo distortion, as they don't look perfectly vertical? Perhaps it's my iPad
Actually, they are supposed to be slightly sloped, as they form the lower part of the crown.
scalziand no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city, one57, residential, supertall