daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 7th, 2013, 12:34 AM   #5381
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonoka View Post
I don't think it's out of place because of its design, but because of its shape. Almost all of the towers in the skyline are perfectly proportional to each other, just compare ESB and Chrysler to the Bank Of America tower for example. One57 isn't much smaller than the buildings around it nor is it much higher, it fits perfectly into the skyline without overly dominating, but standing out nonetheless.
However, in the case of 432 Park Ave, there isn't any other tower in the city with such a small shape in relation to such a big height. That's why I regard it as unfitting.
Well, you don't like many supertalls than because that's the case with dozens.

Highcliff liked this post
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 7th, 2013, 12:38 AM   #5382
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

Quote:
I don't think it's out of place because of its design, but because of its shape. Almost all of the towers in the skyline are perfectly proportional to each other, just compare ESB and Chrysler to the Bank Of America tower for example. One57 isn't much smaller than the buildings around it nor is it much higher, it fits perfectly into the skyline without overly dominating, but standing out nonetheless.
However, in the case of 432 Park Ave, there isn't any other tower in the city with such a small shape in relation to such a big height. That's why I regard it as unfitting.
You can't really expect residential towers to match the proportions of office towers can you? It won't stand alone for long. This is the new norm for w57th.

Kanto liked this post
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2013, 01:05 AM   #5383
Nonoka

Likes (Received): 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1807 View Post
Well, you don't like many supertalls than because that's the case with dozens.
Yes I do, because in many cases it can still look fitting, as long as the design is good and makes up for the unbalance (which isn't the case with 432 Park Ave neither). There aren't really such tiny buildings with such a height in this world, though.
Also, New York arguably consists of the most famous and iconic skyline ever. I too especially love it because of its smoothness and balance. Thus I do regard the new skyscraper projects more critical than for other cities. When other skyscrapers balancing the domination of 432 Park Ave will be built, I won't be so critical about that building anymore, but as long as they won't, this building will remain unfitting for me.

Quote:
You can't really expect residential towers to match the proportions of office towers can you?
Nope, but that isn't an argument to build the tower in this shape. It could have been shortened and widened as well. But saying what could have been done isn't really senseful, so I won't get into this. The tower is what it is, but for a prime city like New York, I expect more, especially if it will have such a dominating status.

This is getting OT now, though.
Nonoka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2013, 01:31 AM   #5384
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Quote:
You know, I thought the exact same thing for a while when I had first seen 432 Park Avenue's design. However, after looking more at the design, and especially at the recent renders posted by NYCrulz (thanks man, by the way), I really think it'll blend with the skyline more than I had thought it would. I've come to appreciate the building and will enjoy its presence in the skyline. It may look awkward for a year or two, but with many other towers that are similar in being extremely tall and thin in the prep stages and such, it'll fit in just fine. I'm not crazy about it, but I have come to embrace it. Time will tell you whether you actually like it or not.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2013, 01:34 AM   #5385
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Quote:

Nope, but that isn't an argument to build the tower in this shape. It could have been shortened and widened as well. But saying what could have been done isn't really senseful, so I won't get into this. The tower is what it is, but for a prime city like New York, I expect more, especially if it will have such a dominating status.

This is getting OT now, though.
Yeah it is, but let me say one more thing: I don't think you are familiar as to why developers build slim, tall residential towers. Nowadays it's all about who can offer the best view. And to provide those views to the clientele (which pays big $$$), you need to build tall, or more precisely: taller than the others. Midtown (a plateau of 600 - 900 footers) especially is so massive, that a tower <1000' is hardly worth building (with some exceptions of course). As a developer you have to keep in mind that super rich people are ready to pay a big amount of money just to have the best view of the city. And of course it's all about location.

Take 56 Leonard Street, an 800 footer close to Lower Manhattan. It's not a supertall. Why? Because there's no need for the tower being any taller - it will eclipses every building in the nearby area. The views will be exceptional at a moderate height ... and now put 56 Leonard in Midtown: it will get lost in the skyscraper jungle.

I hope you get my point.

/end OT.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2013, 02:02 AM   #5386
Jongeheer

Likes (Received): 217

Quote:

Nope, but that isn't an argument to build the tower in this shape. It could have been shortened and widened as well.
Widened? Have you got any idea of the layout of the construction site of 432 Park Avenue?

Shortened? Have you got any idea about economics, architecture, common sense,..?

Do your homework before you make these posts.
Old April 7th, 2013, 03:02 AM   #5387
billgates

Likes (Received): 225

I think he meant widened and shortened before construction. But, I still disagree because it would not be profitable if it were shortened.

Kanto liked this post
billgates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2013, 06:37 AM   #5388
PDC1987

Likes (Received): 94

When will people understand that the sleek silhouette is the entire point of 432's design?
PDC1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2013, 06:38 AM   #5389
PDC1987

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Ok, I'm probably the only one here who doesn't like this at all, but nevermind. I don't think the shape is too bad (I don't get the specialty of the rounded off roof, though) but the cladding with those blue stripes make the building look really unappealing. The different coloured cladding panels on the other side of the building contribute even more to that. Maybe if the cladding would have been something like at 4WTC, I wouldn't dislike it, but right now it looks messy.
The cladding isn't blue, that's the protective film.
PDC1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2013, 07:46 AM   #5390
OnePointWest
Riemanns Hypothesis

Likes (Received): 1128

By kz1000ps

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

image hosted on flickr
OnePointWest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2013, 09:57 AM   #5391
NYCrulz
America started it all !!

Likes (Received): 2376

I can't love 'em less!

By EricGrant
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ericgrant/

By lensepix
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lensepix/8460427028/
Old April 8th, 2013, 12:03 AM   #5392
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

hate to bring more OT back into here but will there be more then just a few supertalls in between 57th st and the ESB? idk i feel all the really tall ones are going to be on one side then u have the ESB on the otherside and the middle nothing? lol
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2013, 12:46 AM   #5393
nycaddict

Likes (Received): 135

Does anyone know if the Essex house is landmarked?
nycaddict no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2013, 01:09 AM   #5394
Funkyskunk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Filipe1 View Post
hate to bring more OT back into here but will there be more then just a few supertalls in between 57th st and the ESB? idk i feel all the really tall ones are going to be on one side then u have the ESB on the otherside and the middle nothing? lol
The mayor is way ahead of you

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/07/ny...pagewanted=all

A thread

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1557498

Last edited by Funkyskunk2; April 8th, 2013 at 01:21 AM.
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2013, 01:59 AM   #5395
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Filipe1 View Post
South to North: ESB (33rd Street), HY North and GiraSole (34th Street) NYT Tower (40th or so), Chrysler, BOA Tower, 1 Vanderbilt, and Conde Nast (42nd Street), Tower Verre (53rd Street), 432 Park (56th Street), One57, 225 West 57th (57th Street). They'll be spread out pretty well.

Highcliff liked this post
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2013, 02:29 AM   #5396
AUTOTHRILL
chill

Likes (Received): 1951

How is this tower at all neo Art Deco? what?
Old April 8th, 2013, 02:36 AM   #5397
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10289

I can definitely pick up on the Art Deco vibe actually

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2013, 03:03 AM   #5398
VIP
be.net/Hachege

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTOTHRILL View Post
How is this tower at all neo Art Deco? what?
The round roofs kind of hints it, but yeah, it's not even close to a reinterpretation of the movement.
VIP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2013, 03:07 AM   #5399
Funkyskunk2

Time to help the blind again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyskunk2 View Post

Don't know what these are but they are art deco and the tower has them.
Does anyone know what these...crowns(?) are actually called?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyskunk2 View Post

How can you deny that?!
Old April 8th, 2013, 06:39 AM   #5400
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

This building seems to be going REALLY slow recently. Cladding is stopped a few stories from the top and no roofing has gone on yet. Crane cab is gone but all the tower portion of the crane is still there.

C'mon people lets move on this thing. You would think they could finish this thing by year end or shortly thereafter if they worked promptly on this.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city, one57, residential, supertall