daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 22nd, 2014, 07:45 PM   #6641
FMIII

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoofHeightMatters View Post
Yes I do, and it's still too far forward, aesthetically.
I agree, especially that it hides Carnegie Hall tower and Cityspire from the park.
Generally speaking, it is always better when the tallest towers are more centered in the skyline, it helps to give a soaring effect.

But if you are a developer and if you want to sell apartments, the location is perfect. The closer you are to the park, the less chance views will be blocked.
That's why it is where it is. Too bad for us.
FMIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2014, 11:02 PM   #6642
nycaddict

Likes (Received): 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMIII View Post
I still don't understand why they chose to use those dark panels at the top. The worst part of it is that, unlike the rest of the cladding, those dark panels are not reflective.
I am still praying they are covered with some kind of protective films about to be removed.
they didnt show up in any of the renderings. i wonder what happened

FMIII liked this post
nycaddict no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 12:06 AM   #6643
FMIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycaddict View Post
they didnt show up in any of the renderings. i wonder what happened
That is exactly what I thought when I saw them the first time. And now, I am afraid it might be permanent. At least, they should be reflective, It might help them to blend with the rest of the cladding.
If it stays like this, it would be a huge mistake.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 01:34 AM   #6644
onewtclover

Likes (Received): 1028

Don't worry. The only reason it looks like this now is because of the elevator making the tower look like it is under construction and/or has antennas attached to it. It makes the tower look unrefined. However, I think when the elevator comes down this year, it will look at least slightly less unclean.

But come on. It's just a few glass pieces; it doesn't look that bad. I think they did this on purpose to compliment the crown because if I'm not mistaken, these dark panels are on both sides in about the same place.

And it's not like the renderings are infalliable. Even official renderings aren't based on blueprints and real architects' intentions. Sometimes the renderings we make ourselves are more accurate then the renderings made by professionals. Look at the renders of One World Trade Center, or the Bank of America Tower.

Rendering of Bank of America Tower:

Real completed Tower:

In the rendering, the spire looks like it's suspended in midair. In the real picture, it does not. This is because the glass in the rendering and completed tower differ. This is the same thing with One57. In the rendering, the tower's glass has a serious discoloration.

Rendering:

[img]http://t0.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTFPKUveEPwfcPxxF-9dIvv9ySZfwgzxp7PlXLYwLYGhGPWHx2cfA[/img]

Real Tower:

by ajosh821

HRP4Life, FMIII, Swiddle liked this post
onewtclover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 09:38 AM   #6645
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

This question might have already been asked, but when the cladding was being installed, were the workers basically randomly putting glass on as they received it, or is there a certain pattern going on that I just can't see? Obviously, it's all dark cladding on the south side and all light on the north, but what about in between?
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 09:48 AM   #6646
Gary112

Likes (Received): 10

It looks cool anyway.
Gary112 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 11:21 AM   #6647
ajosh821
#TeamFairview

Likes (Received): 7221

anders_bramsen

lknecht150

FMIII, orange boy, Swiddle, CB31 liked this post
ajosh821 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 11:41 AM   #6648
FMIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewtclover View Post
But come on. It's just a few glass pieces; it doesn't look that bad. I think they did this on purpose to compliment the crown because if I'm not mistaken, these dark panels are on both sides in about the same place.
Yes, you are right, they are on both sides.

I know it's not the end of the world , but the tower is so great, it's a bit sad they didn't use, at least, reflective dark glass instead of those matte panels. It looks a bit cheap as it is.
Old January 24th, 2014, 02:44 AM   #6649
xing lin
I ♥ HK

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_man12345 View Post
This question might have already been asked, but when the cladding was being installed, were the workers basically randomly putting glass on as they received it, or is there a certain pattern going on that I just can't see? Obviously, it's all dark cladding on the south side and all light on the north, but what about in between?
I believe the cladding pattern repeats every 5 or so floors
xing lin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2014, 05:49 AM   #6650
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6489

Since this is known as the Billionaire Tower, I'll post this article here.

New York's First $100 Million Apartment is Coming Soon
http://www.departures.com/articles/n...is-coming-soon

Quote:
In a city consumed by luxury condominiums, no price is too high to pay. Michael Gross reports on the race to a nine-figure sale.

Forget the gated motor court, the private courtyard or the waterfall in the lobby and check out the dizzying view from atop 50 United Nations Plaza. Manhattan’s Rocky Mountains—the skyscraper tops of the Empire State, the Chrysler, Rockefeller Center and MetLife—all seem close enough to touch. You can see the network of bridges connecting the city to the rest of the world; the East and Hudson rivers; the Statue of Liberty; the new One World Trade Center. In the distance, airplanes take off from Kennedy and LaGuardia. And straight down below sit Louis Kahn’s Franklin D. Roosevelt Four Freedoms Park and the UN itself......... (Read article in link)

Dubrovnik liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2014, 10:51 PM   #6651
onewtclover

Likes (Received): 1028

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_man12345 View Post
By the looks of it, I think there is a certain pattern. The renderings resemble the real thing a little bit, even though they aren't completely accurate.

Rendering:

[img]https://encrypted-tbn1.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzrnwnVVMwsvyIhEyC1W0BrUGClkKZ71zScZTK-PFsxLKN9B0D[/img]

Real Tower:

by ajosh821

And even though it doesn't show up in the renderings, the dark blob everyone hates shows up on both sides of the tower, and even though they're not in exactly the right places, I think it's too close of a resemblance to be a coincidence. The whole design on the east and west sides looks a little like lattice.

And there's the possibility that even though there isn't an exact pattern laid out, there is a general pattern that was meant to be. Because I think the construction of the glass would be really slow if the construction workers had to place every single glass piece in the same exact place. And then again, as xing lin said, the cladding pattern could repeat every five floors, creating the lattice look.
onewtclover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2014, 03:18 AM   #6652
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Went by the 58th street side of this tower today. The atrium on that side looks very interesting:

image hosted on flickr

Untitled by 600West218, on Flickr

Note the stone walls inside.

image hosted on flickr

They don't even have all the cladding complete:

image hosted on flickr

Extrell is really dragging their feet. All the hotels at 1715 Broadway that started way after this are done and open and hosting Superbowl parties. It is painful how long it is taking them to complete this.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2014, 03:45 AM   #6653
Eastern37
Optimist

Likes (Received): 3060

The fitout of this would take considerably longer than those other buildings because of the quality of this development!
Eastern37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2014, 10:01 AM   #6654
ajosh821
#TeamFairview

Likes (Received): 7221

field_condition

sschiau

Old January 27th, 2014, 03:37 PM   #6655
SebaFun
Sebastian

Likes (Received): 16367

Lovely pictures!!!!

Amazing tower!

I Love USA
SebaFun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2014, 10:06 PM   #6656
nycaddict

Likes (Received): 135

i just remembered how this tower was supposed to be completed months ago..
nycaddict no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 12:14 PM   #6657
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 555

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycaddict View Post
i just remembered how this tower was supposed to be completed months ago..
Its amazing what a little thing called Superstorm Sandy can do to schedules.
Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 02:58 PM   #6658
cnd
downtown.

Likes (Received): 11086

Absolutely stunning building.
cnd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 08:37 PM   #6659
Wakefield

Likes (Received): 18

Awesome shots! Seeing that I am new here, I can't post what I took over the weekend in the snow - both pics and video.

The way this building stands above all its peers seems to make it look much bigger than it actually is. In fact, due to the context of the neighborhood where there are much shorter buildings, you'd swear this tower was taller than One World Trade which looks kinda normal mixed into the downtown height.

It's a real icon in midtown due to the context.

Eric Offereins liked this post
Wakefield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 11:13 PM   #6660
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 29170

welcome.

you can post the pics by uploading them to a host like imageshack or so and copy paste the links here.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city, one57, residential, supertall