daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 12th, 2009, 12:44 AM   #81
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Well we just need to make sure their actually doing construction work, I mean it's hard to tell from the photo. And we don’t have a design yet either.
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 12th, 2009, 12:58 AM   #82
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnobsemajdnob View Post
The fact that the developer hasn't released it yet is irrelevant. de Portzamparc said that it will be released soon. This is a double standard.

On this site, which is one block west on 57th Street, the same developer also build another 300+ m tower designed by de Portzamparc. They are preparing for demolition.
I understand you, I've complained of similar things in the past. Like someone putting a list of all the Chinese Supertalls on proposal in the construction section. Didn’t get anywhere. Some people just don't get it!
Old October 12th, 2009, 01:51 AM   #83
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
You said in one of your prior posts today that it does not belong in u/c because it's in site prep. I was in NY last week, and if this is not construction, I don't know what is.
Well we just need confirmation. And we don't know what height it is yet, so that's a problem. One possibly height is 1083 feet, but another is 900 something. There’s no design yet.

Last edited by Onn; October 12th, 2009 at 02:20 AM.
Old October 12th, 2009, 01:55 AM   #84
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

The reason this one is still in 'Prep' is because they haven't started pilling yet. It's not a double standard and as soon as pilling begins this will be changed to UC.
xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 02:00 AM   #85
Onn
BANNED

Is this proposal for preservation of those buildings likely to go through, or no?
Old November 11th, 2009, 01:01 AM   #86
Onn
BANNED

So one is staying, one is going? Looks like we took home the gold here.
Old November 11th, 2009, 07:25 PM   #87
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

nice map, great projects. i think this one will come out well, but i'm not sure about the other one.
Old November 11th, 2009, 07:44 PM   #88
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

i know that. but this one seems more 'secure' to come along than the other one, for the moment. and preparation is almost done here, actually it will be u/c soon. tell me, is the russian jew also involved in this project? didn't read anything about him here, but it's possible i missed something.
Old November 12th, 2009, 11:07 PM   #89
Onn
BANNED

Two new towers somewhere around 1,000 feet in the same area. Quite impressive, hopefully they both go through.
Old November 14th, 2009, 11:22 PM   #90
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28349

Good to see it's UC, but shouldn't this thread be moved to the UC section?

Highcliff liked this post
Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 11:44 AM   #91
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

I will move it, construction does seem quite advanced.

There's only one thing though. On skyscraperpage they have this listed as 953 feet high.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=161764&page=8

How come they have a different height?

Highcliff liked this post
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 01:29 PM   #92
musefreek

Likes (Received): 5

is there not a render of this building?
musefreek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 02:02 PM   #93
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Are they allowed to do that? I thought people had to be consulted on projects this big?
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 06:31 PM   #94
Newcastle Guy

Doesn't that seem a bit... I'm not quite sure which word to use.. Communist? Totalitarian?
Old November 15th, 2009, 07:04 PM   #95
Newcastle Guy

Quote:
That's the absurdity of development in NY. You can do what you want if it does not involve a landmark and if you're building as of right.
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't surprised. It's like the opposite of London, where people (who are usually poorly educated about architecture and biased) get too much say. Though I know NYC has had that problem too on more than one occasion, I believe Tour de Verre is an example of that?
Old November 15th, 2009, 11:02 PM   #96
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Guy View Post
Doesn't that seem a bit... I'm not quite sure which word to use.. Communist? Totalitarian?
Absolutely the opposite. A private company can build and entire skyscraper without any public involvement as long as it owns it completely. Pure capitalism, and as everything, it has it's positive and negative effects.
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 02:19 PM   #97
Newcastle Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanamerican View Post
Absolutely the opposite. A private company can build and entire skyscraper without any public involvement as long as it owns it completely. Pure capitalism, and as everything, it has it's positive and negative effects.
So capitalism is being able to build whatever you want without caring about the public, as long as you bung the local authority enough of a bribe? That doesn't seem fair. There should be a middle ground.
Old November 16th, 2009, 03:46 PM   #98
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
So capitalism is being able to build whatever you want without caring about the public, as long as you bung the local authority enough of a bribe? That doesn't seem fair. There should be a middle ground.
Bit of a broad statement. Of course there are some regulations that the developer must follow in order to ensure there is no public review. However the public review in this city is quite extensive and if every building in this city were exposed to such a process, very few or any would get built in the form they are now. In other words NY would have many more shorter uglier buildings becuase of the proactive NIMBYS (which some have attributed from the movement of ex-suburbanites back to the city or others trying to protect their high end apartments from losing appeal because there are newer better apartments in the direct area).
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #99
Newcastle Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvid01 View Post
Bit of a broad statement. Of course there are some regulations that the developer must follow in order to ensure there is no public review. However the public review in this city is quite extensive and if every building in this city were exposed to such a process, very few or any would get built in the form they are now. In other words NY would have many more shorter uglier buildings becuase of the proactive NIMBYS (which some have attributed from the movement of ex-suburbanites back to the city or others trying to protect their high end apartments from losing appeal because there are newer better apartments in the direct area).
I'm not saying it doesn't have it's upsides, I'm just surprised, is all. I didn't think they would be allowed to build supertalls in America without releasing the designs first. Quite a shock.
Old November 16th, 2009, 10:18 PM   #100
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
So capitalism is being able to build whatever you want without caring about the public, as long as you bung the local authority enough of a bribe?
to add to what ramvid01 already said:

Nobody talked of "bribe". The company bought the air rights necessary to cover the entire construction, nothing illegal was done, let alone "bribing" anyone.

As long as the company follows certain policies (zoning laws, air rights, and other aspects of the construction process) the company is the one that is investing it's own money into the construction, not the residents in the apartment block on the other side of the street. There is no reason whatsoever that there should be any involvement by parties that have no economic involvement in the project, as long as the company follows the policies that the city has, that are there to ensure that necessary precautions are taken to protect the basic interests of the present-day residents (that is, the company wouldn't be allowed to build a power plant or a research lab that may create a health risk to the area, for example).

I saw far more "bribe" going on and the payment of a "pizzo" or paying off a political figure in a country like Italy (in Europe, in case someone had a doubt) as long as the company built something aesthetically "pleasing", while ignoring any security measure, health issues or ecological repercussions.

Of the 2 systems, I definitely prefer the one I've seen used in New York.
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city, one57, residential, supertall