daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old January 12th, 2009, 07:58 AM   #181
Zorba
Stadium Fan
 
Zorba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Athens
Posts: 827
Likes (Received): 2

Well among the various reasons why I don't see this ever happening (distance between cities, etc..) one other reason is that in Wurope, or at least countires like Greece (my example for this post) the local clubs are too well ingrained into the sports society for many people to actively support a team from scratch.

I mean, most Greeks already support one of the major teams that already exist in the country and I doubt that a start up club would be able to gather support from fans of rival local teams.

The only place I could see it possibly working would be in London or maybe Paris where there isn't such a huge basketball tradition, and there are no historic rivalries amongst basketball teams that would trickle down to the fans.
Zorba no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2009, 03:03 PM   #182
isaidso
the new republic
 
isaidso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The United Provinces of America
Posts: 29,623
Likes (Received): 10784

You're better off with European leagues. I live in an NBA city, and quite frankly, I'd rather go to see the University of Toronto basketball team. NBA games are geared to corporations looking to impress their clients, and a circus of other things beyond basketball. Who wants to pay $200 to sit with a bunch of people there to eat hot dogs, talk business deals in the lounge while a game is taking place, and listen to a sound system blare out music and sound effects for 2 hours?

I'd rather pay $10, sit 10 rows from the court, and cheer a bunch of kids who are playing because they love basketball, and sit with fans who are there because they love the sport over the spectacle. The NBA is a snooze fest and so are their fans. Ever wonder why college basketball is popular on this continent?
__________________
World's 1st Baseball Game: June 4th, 1838, Beachville, Ontario, Canada
North America's Oldest Pro Football Teams: Toronto Argonauts (1873) and Hamilton Tiger Cats (1869)

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #183
dinamo4ever
ewerwerwerwerwerwer
 
dinamo4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: erwefdsfsdf
Posts: 94
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Phillip Banks View Post
Because London is one of the most important cities in the world with lots of money, advertising revenue, diversity, and they speak English.
NBA Should come to Belgrade (20,000) or Zagreb (new arena for 18,000 spectators). in those countries basketball is very popular, becasue there are big teams like Cibona, Zadar, Partizan and Crvena zvezda(Red Star)
dinamo4ever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 03:10 PM   #184
dinamo4ever
ewerwerwerwerwerwer
 
dinamo4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: erwefdsfsdf
Posts: 94
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
You're better off with European leagues. I live in an NBA city, and quite frankly, I'd rather go to see the University of Toronto basketball team. NBA games are geared to corporations looking to impress their clients, and a circus of other things beyond basketball. Who wants to pay $200 to sit with a bunch of people there to eat hot dogs, talk business deals in the lounge while a game is taking place, and listen to a sound system blare out music and sound effects for 2 hours?

I'd rather pay $10, sit 10 rows from the court, and cheer a bunch of kids who are playing because they love basketball, and sit with fans who are there because they love the sport over the spectacle. The NBA is a snooze fest and so are their fans. Ever wonder why college basketball is popular on this continent?
yeah, that is good thinking. are u from toronto? what you say about Ukić?
dinamo4ever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #185
dinamo4ever
ewerwerwerwerwerwer
 
dinamo4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: erwefdsfsdf
Posts: 94
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
You're better off with European leagues. I live in an NBA city, and quite frankly, I'd rather go to see the University of Toronto basketball team. NBA games are geared to corporations looking to impress their clients, and a circus of other things beyond basketball. Who wants to pay $200 to sit with a bunch of people there to eat hot dogs, talk business deals in the lounge while a game is taking place, and listen to a sound system blare out music and sound effects for 2 hours?

I'd rather pay $10, sit 10 rows from the court, and cheer a bunch of kids who are playing because they love basketball, and sit with fans who are there because they love the sport over the spectacle. The NBA is a snooze fest and so are their fans. Ever wonder why college basketball is popular on this continent?
by the way, on friday world handball cup starts in Croatia and I will go on opening match Croatia-Korea Republic, but I must say that I am disappointed, as like as many other true fans here because more than half match tickets are given to sponsors and they come on match just to appear on tv or that they can say they were on that game, it's bad and many true fans don't have opportunity to watch their heroes (handball is super popular here, we won Olympics 2 times, once world cup, and many other medals)
dinamo4ever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 03:17 PM   #186
isaidso
the new republic
 
isaidso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The United Provinces of America
Posts: 29,623
Likes (Received): 10784

I'm a Torontonian now, but went to high school and university in basketball loving Halifax, Nova Scotia. That's on Canada's east coast. Before that, I was a Londoner. I love Toronto and basketball, but hate the Raptors. The games and crowd are so boring!

Sorry, but I don't know what you mean about 'Ukic'.
__________________
World's 1st Baseball Game: June 4th, 1838, Beachville, Ontario, Canada
North America's Oldest Pro Football Teams: Toronto Argonauts (1873) and Hamilton Tiger Cats (1869)

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #187
dinamo4ever
ewerwerwerwerwerwer
 
dinamo4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: erwefdsfsdf
Posts: 94
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I'm a Torontonian now, but went to high school and university in basketball loving Halifax, Nova Scotia. That's on Canada's east coast. Before that, I was a Londoner. I love Toronto and basketball, but hate the Raptors. The games and crowd are so boring!

Sorry, but I don't know what you mean about 'Ukic'.
Ukić is new Toronto Raptors player, came to club this season, I though you had some opinion about his game
dinamo4ever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 03:20 PM   #188
isaidso
the new republic
 
isaidso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The United Provinces of America
Posts: 29,623
Likes (Received): 10784

Corporations should never be allowed to monopolize professional sport the way they do here in America. Professional sports should be run by a sports federation, and anyone who can field a team should be allowed the opportunity to compete for a championship. It should never be decided by a bunch of business owners who make decisions solely on whether it will make them money.

I can't stand the corporate sports leagues over here.
__________________
World's 1st Baseball Game: June 4th, 1838, Beachville, Ontario, Canada
North America's Oldest Pro Football Teams: Toronto Argonauts (1873) and Hamilton Tiger Cats (1869)

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; January 12th, 2009 at 03:43 PM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 03:22 PM   #189
isaidso
the new republic
 
isaidso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The United Provinces of America
Posts: 29,623
Likes (Received): 10784

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinamo4ever View Post
Ukić is new Toronto Raptors player, came to club this season, I though you had some opinion about his game
Ah, I love basketball, but rarely watch the NBA. I think you'll find a lot of people on this continent like that. I'll watch out for Ukic though, now that you've brought him to my attention.
__________________
World's 1st Baseball Game: June 4th, 1838, Beachville, Ontario, Canada
North America's Oldest Pro Football Teams: Toronto Argonauts (1873) and Hamilton Tiger Cats (1869)

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 03:23 PM   #190
dinamo4ever
ewerwerwerwerwerwer
 
dinamo4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: erwefdsfsdf
Posts: 94
Likes (Received): 0

www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=575663

this is the most beautiful arena in the world, ARENA ZAGREB. Ajmo Pakleni
dinamo4ever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 03:24 PM   #191
isaidso
the new republic
 
isaidso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The United Provinces of America
Posts: 29,623
Likes (Received): 10784

That arena is awesome! Congratulations.

I watch and attend college hoops. Favourite teams: Dalhousie University Tigers, my alma mater, and then other AUS squads like Acadia University, SMU, and St. FX. I'll be traveling to Kanata, Ontario for the National Championships in March.

Acadia shocking #1 ranked Carleton University at last year's Nationals, 82-80 in double overtime. It was held at 20,000 seat Scotiabank Place in Kanata, Ontario.

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/sports/...an080315cp.jpg
__________________
World's 1st Baseball Game: June 4th, 1838, Beachville, Ontario, Canada
North America's Oldest Pro Football Teams: Toronto Argonauts (1873) and Hamilton Tiger Cats (1869)

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; January 12th, 2009 at 03:46 PM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 03:28 PM   #192
dinamo4ever
ewerwerwerwerwerwer
 
dinamo4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: erwefdsfsdf
Posts: 94
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
That arena is awesome! Congratulations.

I watch and attend college hoops. Favourite teams: Dalhousie University Tigers, my alma mater, and then other AUS squads like Acadia, SMU, and St. FX.
yeah, I like also watch Cibona Zagreb matches, more than NBA, but I like NBA, but I rarely watch it during regular season because it's too late for me, starts after midnight here in Europe, but I always watch play-offs

dinamo4ever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #193
isaidso
the new republic
 
isaidso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The United Provinces of America
Posts: 29,623
Likes (Received): 10784

I word of advice: the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence. The NBA might attract the best players because of the money they offer, but it isn't the best basketball entertainment. If the NBA comes to Europe, they'll take the biggest most lucrative markets to themselves and ignore the rest of the markets. What will end up happening is that basketball will suffer outside of those few chosen cities. Those smaller cities will never get an NBA franchise, and those Euro teams that remain will see their sponsorship money and television contracts shrivel up.

You'll end up with 90% of your teams relegated to mere shadows of their former glory so that some NBA owners can get rich. Those cities that get an NBA team won't be chosen merely on interest in basketball, but how big the local economy is. Zagreb will get passed up for some place like Berlin, not because Berliners like basketball more, but because Berlin is a bigger city and home to bigger companies.

Beware of what you wish for. Canada knows that all too well. Pro football right across Canada has suffered for 30 years because some people in Toronto want one team from the US based NFL. This one city, where the national media and business is centred, has basically decided to abandon our last Canadian based sports league, in the hope that the whole country can land one team in Toronto. It's been an absolute catastrophe.

Do you want pro basketball in your country to get dismantled, so you can get an NBA team? You'll end up with one team if you're lucky, and the rest will crumble into obscurity. The NBA don't care about the development of pro basketball in your country, only in how they can make money off your country in the 'basketball industry'.
__________________
World's 1st Baseball Game: June 4th, 1838, Beachville, Ontario, Canada
North America's Oldest Pro Football Teams: Toronto Argonauts (1873) and Hamilton Tiger Cats (1869)

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; January 12th, 2009 at 04:09 PM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 04:13 PM   #194
dinamo4ever
ewerwerwerwerwerwer
 
dinamo4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: erwefdsfsdf
Posts: 94
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I word of advice: the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence. The NBA might attract the best players because of the money they offer, but it isn't the best basketball entertainment. If the NBA comes to Europe, they'll take the biggest most lucrative markets to themselves and ignore the rest of the markets. What will end up happening is that basketball will suffer outside of those few chosen cities. Those smaller cities will never get an NBA franchise, and those Euro teams that remain will see their sponsorship money and television contracts shrivel up.

You'll end up with 90% of your teams relegated to mere shadows of their former glory so that some NBA owners can get rich. Those cities that get an NBA team won't be chosen merely on interest in basketball, but how big the local economy is. Zagreb will get passed up for some place like Berlin, not because Berliners like basketball more, but because Berlin is a bigger city and home to bigger companies.

Beware of what you wish for. Canada knows that all too well. Pro football right across Canada has suffered for 30 years because some people in Toronto want one team from the US based NFL. This one city, where the national media and business is centred, has basically decided to abandon our last Canadian based sports league, in the hope that the whole country can land one team in Toronto. It's been an absolute catastrophe.

Do you want pro basketball in your country to get dismantled, so you can get an NBA team? You'll end up with one team if you're lucky, and the rest will crumble into obscurity. The NBA don't care about the development of pro basketball in your country, only in how they can make money off your country in the 'basketball industry'.
yes, I see the point, you are right, btw I think NBA will never have division in Europe.
dinamo4ever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 02:26 AM   #195
El Mariachi
Registered User
 
El Mariachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,156
Likes (Received): 5995

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
You're better off with European leagues. I live in an NBA city, and quite frankly, I'd rather go to see the University of Toronto basketball team. NBA games are geared to corporations looking to impress their clients, and a circus of other things beyond basketball. Who wants to pay $200 to sit with a bunch of people there to eat hot dogs, talk business deals in the lounge while a game is taking place, and listen to a sound system blare out music and sound effects for 2 hours?

I'd rather pay $10, sit 10 rows from the court, and cheer a bunch of kids who are playing because they love basketball, and sit with fans who are there because they love the sport over the spectacle. The NBA is a snooze fest and so are their fans. Ever wonder why college basketball is popular on this continent?
You make alot of good points about the reason why college basketball (U.S./Canada) is more exciting then the NBA. More passion, better rivalries, unique atmosphere, no players making $15 million a year, more fast paced play, college bands, and so on. While bracket betting might play a part in it---the NCAA tournament generates 10 times the excitment that the slow, dragging NBA playoffs provide.

That being said, I think you also are selling the NBA a little short here. Yes, many of the seats are incredibly overpriced and many of the 'fans' who sit in the "good seats" are suspect in their level of passion ---but its not unreasonable to go to games. At least in smaller markets. I usually spend $10-20 for a ticket ($60 at the most) when I go to Bucks games and the upper seats tend to be populated by basketball fans. That wouldn't even pay for good parking at any baseball/football stadium.

With the NBA, your going to get a quality product on the court. Yeah, there are plenty of bullshit calls and preferential treatment (as if that doesnt occur in European leagues!)---but you will almost always get a good game. The only complaint I have is how the NBA reward teams who are obviously tanking the season in order to get a higher draft pick. But anyway, when players like Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett, or Steve Nash come to your town---you are going to get value for the price of admission. That is what makes the NBA still great in my eyes.
El Mariachi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 02:35 AM   #196
El Mariachi
Registered User
 
El Mariachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,156
Likes (Received): 5995

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Beware of what you wish for. Canada knows that all too well. Pro football right across Canada has suffered for 30 years because some people in Toronto want one team from the US based NFL. This one city, where the national media and business is centred, has basically decided to abandon our last Canadian based sports league, in the hope that the whole country can land one team in Toronto. It's been an absolute catastrophe.

.
It doesn't seem that the league is doing that bad. The attendance is still high in the CFL.

I remember participating in the "NFL to Toronto" thread in the Canada section months back and I thought you guys were overreacting. One team cannot ruin an entire league. Just look at the how the NFL/NCAA remain in harmony with one another. I would imagine it would be the same thing if Toronto ever got a team.
El Mariachi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 03:48 AM   #197
weava
Arch(Struct) Engineer
 
weava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Missouri/Ozarks/KC
Posts: 1,753
Likes (Received): 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
That arena is awesome! Congratulations.

I watch and attend college hoops. Favourite teams: Dalhousie University Tigers, my alma mater, and then other AUS squads like Acadia University, SMU, and St. FX. I'll be traveling to Kanata, Ontario for the National Championships in March.
a little off topic, but is it true that the canadia colleges are trying to join the NCAA. What is college basketball like in canada, similar to US?
weava no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 06:11 AM   #198
KingmanIII
Registered User
 
KingmanIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Killa City, Misery
Posts: 2,627
Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Corporations should never be allowed to monopolize professional sport the way they do here in America. Professional sports should be run by a sports federation, and anyone who can field a team should be allowed the opportunity to compete for a championship. It should never be decided by a bunch of business owners who make decisions solely on whether it will make them money.

I can't stand the corporate sports leagues over here.
I wholeheartedly agree with this.

It would also mean that "small market" cities like Halifax, Tulsa, Omaha, Wichita, Albuquerque, and the like, could afford to field major-league clubs (not franchises).

It's a shame that the NHL ever left the 'Peg, and it will be a travesty if they never get big-league hockey again.
KingmanIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 11:15 AM   #199
Phriggin' Ogre
American't
 
Phriggin' Ogre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Central Washington[currently] Greater Los Angeles California, Greater Guadalajara, Jalisco[formerly]
Posts: 727
Likes (Received): 2308

Quote:
Originally Posted by weava View Post
a little off topic, but is it true that the canadia colleges are trying to join the NCAA. What is college basketball like in canada, similar to US?

Holy cow you serious? This thread just taught me about basketball culture in Southern Europe and Canadian colleges.
__________________
Let your mind be the canvas painting light in the dark
Phriggin' Ogre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #200
DidacXavier
Caçant gamusinos
 
DidacXavier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Paterna
Posts: 3,422
Likes (Received): 2215

Be serious, please. Basketball in UK? In Germany? In Poland? Not, thanks. The basketball in those countries is minority. Why in UK? Because London is a very big city, but without great interest in this sport.

In Europe, the only countries with a real support to basketball are Spain, Greece and Italy. In second place, Russia, France and Turkey. No one more, because balkan countries are too small and the market very reduced. The only point against Greece: the supporters, too fanatic. It's my opinion.
__________________
Disfruta de la vida. No saldrás vivo de ella. Paulo Coelho
DidacXavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu