daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 13th, 2009, 02:48 PM   #201
bumdingo

Likes (Received): 0

A solution would be to have upto 4 teams from Europe but all based in London! There are enough arena's, O2 (20k), Earls Court (19k), Wembley Arena (12k), 2012 Basketball Arena (12k). With London having 14 million in it's metropolitan area made up of so many nationalities you could have a Greek team, Eastern European team, Iberian team, Germanic team etc etc. That way we overcome the travel problems, every major broadcaster has representation here and accomodation wouldn't be a problem.
bumdingo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #202
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Likes (Received): 2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by DidacXavier View Post
Be serious, please. Basketball in UK? In Germany? In Poland? Not, thanks. The basketball in those countries is minority. Why in UK? Because London is a very big city, but without great interest in this sport.

In Europe, the only countries with a real support to basketball are Spain, Greece and Italy. In second place, Russia, France and Turkey. No one more, because balkan countries are too small and the market very reduced. The only point against Greece: the supporters, too fanatic. It's my opinion.
Are you sure about Turkey?

Efes or FB can not fill Abdi Ipekci Arena (10,550)

ULEB Eurocup (1): 2016

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (1): 2009

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF André Vergauwen Cup (1): 2017
IWBF Intercontinental Cup (4): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012

EJU Golden League (1): 2014
www.sercan.de no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 04:07 PM   #203
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by DidacXavier View Post
Be serious, please. Basketball in UK? In Germany? In Poland? Not, thanks. The basketball in those countries is minority. Why in UK? Because London is a very big city, but without great interest in this sport.

In Europe, the only countries with a real support to basketball are Spain, Greece and Italy. In second place, Russia, France and Turkey. No one more, because balkan countries are too small and the market very reduced. The only point against Greece: the supporters, too fanatic. It's my opinion.
it doesnt matter in the end. the nba has to be in markets with a large population in order to work in Europe. You have to start big and then work your way to the smaller markets.
Old January 13th, 2009, 11:28 PM   #204
Mr. Met

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
it doesnt matter in the end. the nba has to be in markets with a large population in order to work in Europe. You have to start big and then work your way to the smaller markets.
good point, London, Athens, Madrid, Berlin, and Paris is a good start, Athens is a stretch because of it's geography, a team like the Lakers, Blazers, etc traveling to London is a long trip, let alone Athens
Mr. Met no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 12:15 AM   #205
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10784

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Phillip Banks View Post
You make alot of good points about the reason why college basketball (U.S./Canada) is more exciting then the NBA. More passion, better rivalries, unique atmosphere, no players making $15 million a year, more fast paced play, college bands, and so on. While bracket betting might play a part in it---the NCAA tournament generates 10 times the excitment that the slow, dragging NBA playoffs provide.

That being said, I think you also are selling the NBA a little short here. Yes, many of the seats are incredibly overpriced and many of the 'fans' who sit in the "good seats" are suspect in their level of passion ---but its not unreasonable to go to games. At least in smaller markets. I usually spend $10-20 for a ticket ($60 at the most) when I go to Bucks games and the upper seats tend to be populated by basketball fans.

With the NBA, your going to get a quality product on the court. But anyway, when players like Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett, or Steve Nash come to your town---you are going to get value for the price of admission. That is what makes the NBA still great in my eyes.
The first row in the upper bowl at the ACC here in Toronto is $65. Lower bowl is $185 to $240. It's such a rip off and not the type of enthusiastic basketball crowd you'll see at a college game. It seems that the Bucks are a far better proposition. Cheaper, any way.

The NBA is going to offer the best talent, but the level of skill in college is high enough to make it very entertaining. Even high school basketball can be thrilling to watch. Went it comes right down to it, I'm a purist. I'm there for the game, not celebrity, bright lights, or to be seen. I'm also under no illusions about the NBA building pro basketball in my country.

I'm just glad there are other options. College basketball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weava View Post
a little off topic, but is it true that the canadia colleges are trying to join the NCAA. What is college basketball like in canada, similar to US?
Simon Fraser University in British Columbia used to play in the USA, and there have been rumblings from the University of British Columbia about joining the NCAA. Many schools in Canada are frustrated with how badly college sports in Canada are administered and want big changes made to the CIS, the Canadian version of the NCAA.

The CIS has never marketed college sports properly and it has caused many problems. Huge discrepancies exist between the calibre of play in the NCAA and the CIS. NCAA programs are bigger and far wealthier. Because of the mismanagement, Canadian schools have difficulty attracting or keeping athletic talent. It's unlikely that Canadian schools will abandon the CIS. What is likely, is that the CIS will have to address the valid complaints that member schools have.

Despite being over matched in every way conceivable, each year there are some surprisingly competitive games. McGill University beat Virginia 88-83 a few months ago, and almost upset Kansas, going down 72-67. Some other surprises: Carleton defeated Alabama 83-72, Calgary beat Weber State 81-74, Concordia beat Illinois 86-82, and Brock beat North Florida 81-72.

Overall, Canadian college basketball has a lot of work to do. The NCAA programs are richer, draw better, and attract better talent. I'm hopeful that things will get better. It would have been unthinkable to beat a good NCAA Division 1 team like Illinois 20 years ago, but the last few years have shown that big strides have been made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Phillip Banks View Post
It doesn't seem that the league is doing that bad. The attendance is still high in the CFL.

I remember participating in the "NFL to Toronto" thread in the Canada section months back and I thought you guys were overreacting. One team cannot ruin an entire league. Just look at the how the NFL/NCAA remain in harmony with one another. I would imagine it would be the same thing if Toronto ever got a team.
I do admit to being very protective over the CFL, but the league has definitely suffered because of how Toronto has abandoned it. Average game attendance in the Canadian Football League is the 7th highest of any sports league in the world, but the place that pro football once had in Canada has withered as Torontonian eyes gaze longingly south. 1 in 3 Canadians watched the Grey Cup in 1982. This year it was down to 1 in 10 people.

Canada simply isn't big enough for a pro football league to prosper without its dominant city. There is no US equivalent to Toronto in your country. Not only does metro Toronto account for 20% of the country, but the nation's media and business is headquartered in Toronto. If they pour their attention and money elsewhere, the whole league suffers. That is exactly what's happened over the last 25 years.

If the NFL comes to Toronto, the CFL may continue to prod along and even grow, but what is certain is that the CFL will go without the media attention and money that only Toronto can provide.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; January 14th, 2009 at 01:04 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 01:07 PM   #206
ReiAyanami
BANNED

Likes (Received): 66

Sorry for digging up old threads, but what happened to NBA Europe? I heard there are going to be some team exchange tour between NBA and European teams (I know only about Olympiacos).

Any news?
ReiAyanami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #207
SpicyMcHaggis

Likes (Received): 1789

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReiAyanami View Post
Sorry for digging up old threads, but what happened to NBA Europe? I heard there are going to be some team exchange tour between NBA and European teams (I know only about Olympiacos).

Any news?
Nothing happened and nothing will happen. At least not the teams that exist now in Europe. No way that Euroleague teams will accept this considering the fact that Euroleague will be bigger than NBA in 10 years if Stern continues with his madness. Perhaps in some distant future there will be London based NBA team considering that UK doesn't have bball culture and they are perfect NBA "market". For others no way.
SpicyMcHaggis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 02:39 PM   #208
likasz

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
A solution would be to have upto 4 teams from Europe but all based in London! There are enough arena's, O2 (20k), Earls Court (19k), Wembley Arena (12k), 2012 Basketball Arena (12k). With London having 14 million in it's metropolitan area made up of so many nationalities you could have a Greek team, Eastern European team, Iberian team, Germanic team etc etc. That way we overcome the travel problems, every major broadcaster has representation here and accomodation wouldn't be a problem.
Earls Court and basketball?Are u serious?

IMHO NBA Europe is not a good idea if you don't want 2 commercial breaks in every part of the game.
likasz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 03:34 AM   #209
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Met View Post
good point, London, Athens, Madrid, Berlin, and Paris is a good start, Athens is a stretch because of it's geography, a team like the Lakers, Blazers, etc traveling to London is a long trip, let alone Athens
London and Paris just because they're big? How simplistic. Hit up the nations that know the game. Greece, Spain, Serbia, Croatia, Lithuania, Germany, Italy, Turkey, Russia, etc. Several of those nations have multiple urban areas that could support well. If France factors in, they'd still be way ahead of England, who'd inevitably be included because of money and the language they speak.
krudmonk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 11:07 AM   #210
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
London and Paris just because they're big? How simplistic. Hit up the nations that know the game. Greece, Spain, Serbia, Croatia, Lithuania, Germany, Italy, Turkey, Russia, etc. Several of those nations have multiple urban areas that could support well. If France factors in, they'd still be way ahead of England, who'd inevitably be included because of money and the language they speak.
Sorry, but no one will care about a game played in Serbia. You have to go with the big markets. London, Paris, Madrid, Berlin. The more western the better.

This whole thing is stupid anyway, so it doesnt matter.

Last edited by en1044; May 20th, 2009 at 11:13 AM.
en1044 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 01:57 AM   #211
krudmonk
sucks

Quote:
Sorry, but no one will care about a game played in Serbia. You have to go with the big markets. London, Paris, Madrid, Berlin. The more western the better.

No one in America will care. Europeans aren't so thick and narrow-minded, being that they're more familiar with these lower-profile locales.
Old May 21st, 2009, 03:04 AM   #212
koolio

Likes (Received): 1558

Quote:

I agree. Outside of big Western European cities that you mentioned, American fans won't give two shits about teams based in Eastern Europe. Heck, I think outside of London and Paris, most Americans don't really think much of European cities in general.
koolio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 03:09 AM   #213
ReiAyanami
BANNED

Likes (Received): 66

Bad idea for digging up the thread....Only to hear more BS.....
ReiAyanami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 03:22 AM   #214
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
Do you think peeps in Serbia would be more intrigued playing teams from NYC, L.A., and Chicago or towns such as Oklahoma City, Buffalo, or Austin? I think if it was the other way around it would make sense introducing the former. It is not a slight on the latter.
Old May 21st, 2009, 03:35 AM   #215
krudmonk
sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Do you think peeps in Serbia would be more intrigued playing teams from NYC, L.A., and Chicago or towns such as Oklahoma City, Buffalo, or Austin? I think if it was the other way around it would make sense introducing the former. It is not a slight on the latter.
The only parallel I can draw is Americans watching European soccer. FSC bothers to show Middlesbrough vs Blackburn, so I can only assume that basketball fans in Europe knows most or all NBA teams/cities already.
Old May 21st, 2009, 04:18 AM   #216
Seattlelife

Likes (Received): 557

Seattle has an arena that holds 17,072 fans and was built to the NBA's specifications in 1994. By 2007 the NBA wanted a new 500 million dollar arena. Seattle lost its team because they didn't build a new arena less than 15 years after building them one. Be careful if you're trying to bring the NBA to your city. Integrity, honesty, and cooperation are NOT part of the NBA.

Sonicsgate, a must see! Just click and watch.
http://www.sonicsgate.org/
Seattlelife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 05:17 AM   #217
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:
No one in America will care. Europeans aren't so thick and narrow-minded, being that they're more familiar with these lower-profile locales.
This thread is about a European division of the NBA in Europe. 4 teams in Europe vs 30 in North America.

Now who do you think the key demographic is?
Old May 21st, 2009, 07:21 AM   #218
krudmonk
sucks

Quote:
This thread is about a European division of the NBA in Europe. 4 teams in Europe vs 30 in North America.

Now who do you think the key demographic is?
Oh, sorry. I read the title as something else. I guess the Pacific Division is known as NBA Pacific? Excuse my common sense. Go on defending the geographically-challenged ignorance of American sports fans.
Old May 21st, 2009, 08:40 AM   #219
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:
Oh, sorry. I read the title as something else. I guess the Pacific Division is known as NBA Pacific? Excuse my common sense. Go on defending the geographically-challenged ignorance of American sports fans.
If you want to take a shot at American sports fans, at least try to make it relevant.
Old May 21st, 2009, 08:52 AM   #220
krudmonk
sucks

Quote:
If you want to take a shot at American sports fans, at least try to make it relevant.
I'm not taking the shot. I'm running with the premise that we can't have these cities that apparently nobody cares about.